Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Question for y'all - I am not industry, but my sister was until March 2020 (covid, her bar/theater closed up), and then she tripped and broke her neck in October. She's 70% recovered now, but she was 20 years a line cook, generally at higher end Indy bars. Going through disability hoops now, because without arm strength and the ability to stand for 8-12 hours, she doesn't stand too much chance being able get and do the job, as I understand it.

Other than management, are there any good related field jobs I might point her to? She's 'allergic to drama' and has no interest in management. I know she's done ordering for a fair amount of her gigs, particularly when working under uninterested or alcoholic chefs who don't do much. Some menu design, and is big on food safety.

She's smart, but just has a HS degree, 45 years old, doesn't drive, covered in tats, and not likely to survive long in any sort of office gig. (Without telling someone to gently caress off and die) I'm helping her out with cash, but living off disability sucks, and she knows a lot about kitchens... Was thinking catering, but seems like that might be hard to do without a lot of up front capital. Would love some ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Should and is are so far apart I'm not sure they can see each other.

Heh. She calls herself a kitchen troll. Should clarify she's not a jerk to coworkers, just not cut out for customers, and not patient enough to manage. I'm seeing her this weekend (I live one state over) and will try to bring up some of these suggestions. She's been killing time doing leather craft this last year, but it's low volume and not going to cover rent.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Lurker, my job is city refuse/recycling. I am amused at new homeowners who have graduated from apartments with dumpster service (other people's problems) to their own cans. Get someone at least once a month calling to have city workers clean their cans or replace them because of maggots. (Sorry dear, we don't do that, try some bleach and a mop).

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
There is a new drug for food allergies, but I read the drug companies were charging several thousand a month for it, and it's not likely to be covered on most plans.

I am waiting for a cure for celiac, when I will go to Asia and eat street food until I am spherical.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My one anaphylaxis food is easy to spot and not commonly mixed with things where you can't spot it (melons, weirdly enough). Curse of all fruit salad, buffet spreads, but such is life.

That said, if there was a drug that actually cures celiac, they would likely get to punch my wallet hard.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
It's a shame you can't just set up a trough of potatoes with cabbage and a second with Guinness and call it a traditional prix fixe menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Swedish curry pizza with kebab and banana as a topping was one of my fondest memories of studying abroad in Sweden.

A very simple curry sauce instead of red. Of course, they (at least in 1999) called curry, kebab and banana the 'Afrikana' pizza, which is a little confused...