Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

This is fair. I dunno, I'm still actively debating it, but I just feel like it's kind of a dick move, plus it's not -entirely- spite, I'm pretty good friends with most people here. It's me, I'm the idiot :(

Nobody is going to look out for your best interests but you, especially not in this crapsack industry. Look out for yourself first and foremost, or you're going to lose it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

Nobody is going to look out for your best interests but you, especially not in this crapsack industry. Look out for yourself first and foremost, or you're going to lose it all.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A single 6 hour shift on a slow night to see what someone can do is hardly "days of slave labor". A tasting isn't going to show me how he handles pressure, or how he works with the staff I already have. Nor will it give my commis the opportunity to give me their input on him.

And if you think starting 12/hour at 50 hours a week Tuesday through Saturday is this horrific slave trade, I don't know what you expect. Just because you work in a nightmare shithole doesn't mean we all run our operations like that.

These quotes should probably be added consecutively to the OP, I swear.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

I thought that might be the case; either way it reminded me of sentiments I hadn't expressed in a while.

really the main argument i'm seeing against paying people for work is :effort: and uh, that's pretty ironic, right?

No, no, the main argument is clearly that it weeds out people who know what they're worth, something that is the bane of running a profitable restaurant.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah the real problem is single shift unpaid stages, not the 1 year unpaid corporate internships, or the multiyear indentured servitude perpetrated by Disney and others.

Also, there is a difference between "chef" and "owner". One controls what we spend money on. The other keeps the gears turning.

If it makes you feel like GOOD PEOPLE when you berate and poo poo on some random individual chef for following the precedent set by the industry, cool, I'm happy for you. While you jerk yourself off, I'll be cooking food.

Maybe you're right, and cooks these days really are whiny entitled shits. After all, your elders said the same about you, and they were completely right.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

quidditch it and quit it posted:

and the fact he was never technically the best chef

My entire feed was nothing but Fred Rogers and Tony Bourdain for two full days and the closeness of the anecdotes about them is striking. I'm not sure Bourdain was really a chef, for all people never stopped calling him that, he was more like the Mister Rogers of food. Someone who knew that the people who made the food were as important as the food itself, and that every food is the best food, and could convey that to everyone watching.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Hauki posted:

What? I mean if you want to get into semantics or existentialism that’s one thing, but he was demonstrably a chef for many years before moving on to his TV food celebrity career.

I'm saying that's not really how he thought of himself, and he didn't want to be called a celebrity chef. He was absolutely a chef for many years, but that wasn't really who he was, which I suppose is a philosophical question, but it's one that he kind of answered while he was alive.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Fun fact I travel for magic: The Gathering a few times a year and there’s a group of us from assorted different areas that always meet up and go out for food. We’ve hand curated the list to contain people who are polite, social, enjoy beer, and tip.

Neckbeards and chuds DO exist, but they don’t get invited out for dinner.

Do you guys do the credit card game, too? Instead of trying to split checks, everybody just tosses their credit card in a hat, then they get pulled out one by one, last one out pays.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

We got told that BOH doesn't have to wear masks (and no one is, now). Meanwhile, FOH still is. Idk, it makes no sense to me, either.

In other news: while not as spooky as the mandolin, the tomato slicer is not to be hosed with. I barely brushed a knuckle against the blade, didn't even feel it, and boom, blood everywhere. Fear and respect the tomato slicer, folks.

It's been 25 years since I worked with one and I still have nightmares about those loving things. Especially since tomato -always- ends up stuck in between the blades.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Disargeria posted:

You bring up some good points, let's have a meeting about it.

Does everybody have time for it right before the two hour meeting the division chief has called to demand answers for why we're behind schedule?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

I was curious what percentage is alcohol.

Alcohol (95%), Peppermint Oil

I wonder what a shot of that would be like...

Almost minty enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

JoshGuitar posted:

I'm not trying to sully your grandmother's good name, but a bushel of tomatoes yields 8 quarts or so of regular sauce, depending on thickness. Ketchup is usually a little thicker than sauce, but 1/4 cup would be more than a 100:1 reduction. The ketchup recipe in the Ball book yields roughly the equivalent of 7 quarts per bushel, so only slightly less yield than sauce. Even dehydrated completely down to a powder, I can't see a bushel of tomatoes being reduced down to 1/4 cup.
:goonsay:

Having helped my grandmother make ketchup and canned tomatoes every year when I was young, this is entirely accurate, if there was only 1/4 cup of sauce there's something that has gone horribly loving wrong. We picked like four carloads of tomatoes and had enough ketchup and canned tomatoes for the entire extended family for a year.