Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If I recall correctly, older male suicides are often related to receiving a disturbing diagnosis. I doubt a vibrant guy like that would choose to withstand withering away in pain. Pure speculation on my part, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Two years ago I just needed a job. Started washing dishes. Because I put all my skill points into Luck, I just happened to be washing dishes alongside an archaeologist who was briefly in between archaeology jobs. I knew off the top of my head that Kennewick Man looked like Captain Picard, so this guy took a liking to me. He told the boss I was a good guy, the boss offered me full time work at a restaurant his friends ran. Washed dishes like I actually cared, which was something most young guys apparently can't be bothered to do, and my new boss asked if I wanted to be a server.

I admitted I would probably instinctively tell customers to eat a dick if they have some stupid problem with their delicious meal. I didn't put it that way, exactly, but I really didn't want to be a waiter. Boss spoke to the cooks in a language I cannot comprehend and later they offered to teach me how to cook. I prepped ten thousand pounds of chicken and other things for a few months. Had to move to another state, started looking for prep cook work, went to an interview with a very nice gentleman whose accent I couldn't completely penetrate. But I believed he offered me a job, so I arrived for my first shift one fine morning and realized I was actually a cook. Tickets came pouring in, my recollection of how to speak Spanish was press ganged onto this voyage, and several months later I finally have the confidence that I know what the hell I'm doing.

I know this is a mundane story but I don't really have anyone right now that I can tell about the fact that I think I may have found my calling in life.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Coasterphreak posted:

I hope your hobby is drinking yourself to sleep.

I drink a lot, I'm thinking of cutting back.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I work with several drunks. I think there's an important distinction between a drunk and an alcoholic. I can't elucidate what that distinction is, precisely, but I sometimes wonder if this profession attracts drunks or makes them. Probably a little of column A, a little of column B, and a little of drunks falling over in column A and landing on column B. In any case, I'm seriously going to cut back. My partner and I have just set up a garden and I need extra not-hungover time to make sure these peppers thrive.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
One of my coworkers has been disappeared by some immigration agency. Don't know where he is or how he's doing or if he's even alive. And we just go on like it's another day. He could be in one of those loving concentration camps they built in Texas. Around here, guys can walk into restaurants wearing neo-nazi apparel and nobody bats a loving eye, they get served like anybody else. Hasn't happened in my place, that I've noticed, but I'm really about to see red if things keep going this way.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I told the boss the new fry cook goes to the bathroom fifteen times and doesn't wash his hands. "Oh. Keep an eye on him."

Okay. :shrek:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
People who want the sauce on the side should be beaten into submission.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Is there some kind of mental condition that causes a person to be stupid as gently caress but only every other day? Yesterday the new guy did alright. Today he got dumber and dumber as the night went on, having started very dumb to begin with.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

e: I need more specifics. How was he dumber? Mistakes? Forgetting? Not understanding?

Yes to all of this, plus clumsiness, doing everything in slow motion, never retaining anything we teach him, taking half a dozen bathroom breaks even when we're busy (which is fine, that gets him the gently caress out of my way), his uniform is all hosed up, and his mouth hangs open at all times like a moron. I'm shocked the boss doesn't see a problem. Then again, he's been extra busy since our replacement FOH manager left. Come to think of it, we've been losing good staff for months. All our plates are expensive, there's no way he can't pay us better and retain good guys. If he changes his mind and doesn't let me go to this wedding next weekend, I think he'll lose me, too.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Skwirl posted:

It's kinda funny to me that restaurant owners and managers generally understand that quality ingredients for their food and good booze for the bar costs more than lower quality ones, but can't accept the same principle applies to labor.

Treating people like products and then ignoring every rule of supply and demand.

Ingredients and booze don't live in perpetual fear of being deported or thrown in one of Trump's camps.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My day off coincides with Labor Day. Oh, we figured out what Dumb Dumb's problem is. He's shotgunning beers out back all night. The sous chef's beers.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I finally dropped a dime on dummy. Once again, he was drinking and getting high all throughout the dinner shift. This time, it had to be more than weed. He came back from his fifteenth bathroom break really hosed up. Even if it was just beer and pot, I'm not handing a knife to this guy anymore. I told boss man and he agreed it's a problem. He'll "tell him." I don't know if he's telling him he's fired, he's back down to dishwasher, or what. Worst of all, we have one of those open kitchen style setups, I don't know what the exact term is, but about half of the customers can watch us do our thing. This guy's on the end of the line, so our clientele are treated to a view of a slack-jawed idiot, leaning this way and that, obviously not hard at work, and to make matters worse, he's also just a really unfortunate looking guy. He looks dumb even when he's perfectly sober, which I can't guarantee he ever is.

We had a really sharp, awesome, experienced cook leave because boss man is stingy with the money. Either that or he got deported or thrown in a camp, we have no idea, we're unable to contact him. Which brings me to my question: Why the gently caress does everybody assume the liability of hiring people whose paperwork is not in order when all this crazy poo poo is going down? When it's been going down for decades? And why the gently caress let some high, drunk idiot replace a good guy instead of just handing out a few more dollars for quality craftsmanship? Are our margins paper thin? I've been here a year, we've lost three good to great cooks, our foh manager, our temporary replacement foh manager, and I'm splitting next month if el jefe won't put more money in my pocket. It's a situation.

I enjoy being a cook, though, and will be looking for work in this field.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Only the most narco banda in my place.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Tonight was the night I decided I'll be moving on from this restaurant sooner rather than later. A guy came in for an interview, wanting to be a dishwasher. The boss offered to let him be a line cook. Boss told me he will start on Tuesday. A little later, one of the dishwashers tells el jefe he's seen this guy around town for years, walking around, talking to himself, and that he's mentally ill in some way and gets angry and violent. Punchy and stabby violent, if I understood correctly. I didn't catch the whole thing, but I believe the sous chef talked the boss out of hiring this violent, deranged person.

And in that moment, I realized that, apparently, I would literally have to be crazy to want to work here. I finally got around to asking my buddy the soup man why we're having a hard time getting and keeping good cooks. He smacked his elbow with his palm and gestured toward the boss. He's cheap, this means.

Oh well, onward and upward. Or onward and to the side a little, really.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Who comes to work drunk and high the day after getting sent home for coming to work drunk and high? I swear the boss fired this idiot yesterday but apparently he wants to give him a second chance. I'm not sure he realizes this would be this rear end in a top hat's fifth or sixth chance, he's late all the time, he's hosed up all the time. I'm looking elsewhere for work, this is unacceptable to me and I'm just barely a professional cook. This guy was DROOLING on the food he was so hosed up.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Our newest idiot cook asked the Asian waitresses what specific type of Asian they are and if they know Kung Fu.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Salt the earth. :black101:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Well, asked boss man for a raise. He said no. My hard work goes un-recognized monetarily while I train intoxicated retards to do my job and they're getting the same pay as me. Tomorrow's my day off. This won't happen, but if I got a new job tomorrow, I could really gently caress this restaurant over by no-showing, no-calling on Tuesday. But I like the guys and don't want to do that to them. If I understand correctly, there are cooks here who've been loyal for 6 years and are still getting my pay level. They're immigrants, they have different pressures, so I understand. Still, I'm bummed to find out that instead of passively participating in loving me over, my boss is willing to actively do it. And I overheard that the disappearance of our newest dishwasher is due to the fact nearby restaurants are paying dishies $15. I could turn my brain off and go wash dishes for more money, but I think I'll see if they need good cooks, instead. The pay for cooks has to be better than for dishies, right? :witch:

What's the best item to steal from a sushi place?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Skwirl posted:

Are there good knives that are the property of the restaurant and not one of chefs?

We asked the boss for some more knives because we were always short one. He brought one of those home knife sets in the wooden block, all dull as poo poo and apparently made of a magical metal that cannot be sharpened.

Where do our knives reside in our restaurant, you may wonder? On a magnetic board on the wall? In a special and safe designated space? Washed, dried, and placed into sleeves?

No. They are thrown in a drawer. We are a drawer knife place.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Tunicate posted:

If you aren't stealing from work you are stealing from your family

This, and without irony.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
There's a chance I'm about to get a cooking job with union benefits. Fuckin' AFSCME.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We got broads watching the streets so your fuckin' kids don't get run over...

edit: Fuckin' AFSCME snipe.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Our newest idiot cook seemingly walked off the job today because he was feeling a little sick. Said he was going to the bathroom, disappeared. Didn't tell the boss, didn't tell us. In normal, responsible adult land, this would result in disciplinary action, such as termination of employment, yes?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Unfortunately, at our location, we are so desperate for cooks this guy will probably not even receive a stern talking-to. I had an interview this morning with a much more professional outfit and it went well.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Bourdain was the only celebrity chef worth a drat. :colbert:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So here's maybe a weird question: Should cooks with terrible hearing go find something else to do for a living or should I spend the rest of my working life apologizing porque no escucho bien? I'm not an idiot. I just can't loving hear you. Kitchen environments can get very noisy and some people habitually speak very softly. No esta bien para mi.

Know of any successful half-deaf cooks?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Thoht posted:

Most cooks I've known are goofballs/weirdos to varying degrees (I include myself here) so I think you'll do fine.

This is the primary reason I love being in a kitchen. We're all mad here.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/s...ber%3D30%23pti8

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Regular brain: Farting in the walk-in

Galaxy brain: making GBS threads in the walk-in

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You ever feel bad because you ruined one hundred pounds of chicken and the boss called you into his office to talk about it and he encouraged you to do better instead of calling you an rear end in a top hat and firing you?

I'm confused by people being nice. Part of me would rather be chewed out and beaten down and thrown out.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
You ever notice how much of your veggies comes from Mexico? I certainly have.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My son's Spanish teacher says that one of the biggest issues for English learners is now how fast the language changes; all the kids you talk to are suddenly saying 'she ethered me' and the learner is going What? Why? You weren't saying that last month.

Ether dropped in 2001. Nas and Jay-Z have since made peace.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If you grew up pre-internet, in a place where it snows, remember that giddy feeling of anticipation when the radio or TV listed off the school closings for snow days? You'd sit there, fingers crossed, chanting "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" waiting to hear your school's name.

We were pissed off if a winter came and went without at least a couple snow days. We believed it was a right, not a privilege. Funny thing was, most of us used those snow days to march over to the school because they had a perfect sledding hill.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If this poo poo kills Islay whisky, then I'll really be in a bad mood.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Dining hall life is real bizarre right now. A small number of students were basically stranded here (many from China) so we're feeding them takeout. Other than that, we're just feeding ourselves. Cleaned every square inch of everything twice. Took apart and re-assembled every machine. Sharpened every blade.

It's cool we're getting paid but since I really don't see in-person class beginning in the fall, I'm guessing we'll get furloughed and let go since I'm certain the school wants to reduce staff.

I really don't like coming to an air conditioned building with 50 guys every day, though. Are they all keeping safe at home? Who knows? Several forget to wear their masks all the time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The real CDC recommendation for social distancing is 13 feet. There was obviously no way they were going to get people to follow that, so they reduced it to 6. Everything is hosed for the next ten years. Welcome to the rerun of the early 20th century.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Our dining hall management expects to be open and serving students in September. Harvard expert predicts there will be 100,000 more virus deaths in America by then. So I guess it will be okay to open up since we'll all be dead. LOL!

Masks mandatory, plans being developed to keep people distant, but I just don't see it happening.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We're doing all these social distancing drills in preparation for serving students in the fall. No way that happens. An outbreak is inevitable. And I think somebody in management has to know that but doesn't want to tell us.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

droll posted:

If this worries you, and it should, join your local union and https://iww.org/ only your fellow workers are going to help.

I'm in AFSCME. The amalgamated federalization.... Hey, I don't know what the gently caress it means.

To the best of my knowledge, they haven't communicated anything to us about our job security yet. I don't read every email I get, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I've decided to take the 3 weeks of paid leave my employer offered when the virus exploded. Partially because I feel a little sick, mostly because it was driving me a little crazy going in to that dining hall every day and sitting on my rear end because there's no work to do, waiting to find out when we're all getting laid off, worrying that the farts lingering in the bathroom can transmit Covid. I feel for all of you out there in restaurant-land.