Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

captkirk posted:

But I think prescriptivists gain a more and more solid footing the longer the internet exists and does awful things to language.
Slang propagates. People either get tired of it and move on or it becomes permanent. Cool fact: "old hat" started out as a dirty joke. "A woman's privities: because frequently felt." 1785," Grose's Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue. Public domain and it's a great read.

Prescriptivists cannot change the language. They can only yell at it from midstream; the water keeps pouring past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My son's Spanish teacher says that one of the biggest issues for English learners is now how fast the language changes; all the kids you talk to are suddenly saying 'she ethered me' and the learner is going What? Why? You weren't saying that last month.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

Ether dropped in 2001. Nas and Jay-Z have since made peace.

I am an old, and that was the first "word I had to look up" I could think of.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

What does 'corner" mean?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Via the Good Tweets thread:

https://twitter.com/verysmallanna/status/1240754447438970880

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A San Francisco restaurant, La Tosca, is reopening after a change of management, takeout-only. The chef explained that it isn't "tweezer food". I'm guessing that tweezer food is elaborately plated, not actually cooked with tweezers somehow?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yes, food that is plated with tweezers. Typically Michelin star and aspiring, often pretentious (which doesn't neccesarily mean bad).

Example:

When you smear the sauce across the plate, a fairy loses its wings.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Good luck!

I hate smears because it makes a nasty noise when you try to scrape them off with your fork/spoon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

bloody ghost titty posted:

Bing!

Don't go back. You have an eight week old. You don't want to be weeded on the line because the brunch cook called out sick only to find out that the little one has to go to urgent care because they cannot tell you they have an ear infection and will someone please look after [big kid].
If you're working nights with an eight-week-old I would not vote to convict your wife of murder.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I miss Ohio-style pizza, which is what I grew up with and therefore right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Butter crust? What, like shortbread?