Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I don't use simple for my old fashioned, muddle the orange with a raw sugar cube and garnish with a cherry. It's less of an old fashioned proper, but it's a ~100 year tradition at my club that everyone expects. Shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

We ran an Old Fashioned souffle at one point. Luxardo+Angostura bitters base, bourbon ice cream, orange/Grand Marnier caramel in the bottom of the ramakin.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

We finally hired enough staff that I get to take a long weekend off. Any have any good restaurant reccs in Montreal?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Looks like Sunday is our day in Canada for the trip, booked at PDC after salivating at ham from the shack and maple toffee milk shake.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The official theme of the holidays in the club tonight is "It's beginning to look a lot like gently caress This" sung to the tune you'd expect

this is the second week in a row of double clopening on mon/tue for me and I'm starting to crack

only a month more til christmas :shepicide:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

when you finish clopening shift 2 but have to go in to open the next day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBd-aa2YnPI

love 2 work full time in 3 days

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

The floodgates are certainly starting to open:

http://www.wbur.org/news/2017/12/12/mccormick-schmick-sexual-harassment-complaint

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

uhh, white sauce clam pizza is a Known Thing™

the pineapple kinda fucks that up but the rest sounds totally reasonable

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

You don't have a coke distributor that can get you glass bottles? Is it the cane sugar 12oz bottles? Our coke distributor has changed hands like 3 or 4 times but still gets us poo poo every monday without fail.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Our AM guy coin flips between pandora stations of Yacht/Dad Rock and Disco/Funk. The smooth sounds of hall and oates are just way easier to deal with at 8am than donna summer.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

how dare you sully the name of yan can cook

most of the 80s and 90s tv chefs rule for that matter

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've got long term clientele that have preferred tables, and knowing how to juggle their desires is one of the bigger parts of my job

but that's country clubs over general public restaurants. They want me to remember who picked up the tab 2 months ago, or if they were there with a mistress or their wife the night before so that I don't accidentally out them

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Mezzanon posted:

who says he's not getting tipped hundos for being a discreet and charming bartender at an upscale and elite location?

in such establishments tipping is expressly forbidden

i get health, dental 401k, decent hours and ok to medium pay for my family and an inside angle for when the guillotines start to fall

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

times that are correct and ethical and moral to intervene: when someone is suffering physical violence in your establishment, or as a result of imbibing too much alcohol will potentially cause bodily harm to themselves or others, or when patrons are physically ill and in need of first aid

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Its harder to discern and much less legally clear, but as a human being it's moral if not always correct for the circumstances

Your actions are also much more constrained in what you can and should do in those circumstances. Just noticing it and making sure it doesnt escalate into physical abuse, and keeping tabs on the victims are about all you can do most of the time.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

in my very specific experience, I've walked into a coat room to someone being blown by the mistress in question, or I've dropped the check off to "so when are you going to leave your wife for me?" which turned into them updating their member's marital status to "divorced" in our directory

also, it's because yet another member's directory listed so and so as wife, and then you see them smooching another dude in the alleyway that they don't know is under a camera. When that member fully came out, over 15 years later, the gossip was thick. I got asked at the bar, "So did you hear so and so finally left the closet?" of course I loving heard, we are paid to notice things. No I don't have an opinion or anything surprising to say, because I'm not your friend, I'll just say "Oh, really?" and then drop the subject.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

captkirk posted:

And this world is a step up for work life balance for food people. How are any of you still alive? You have more people screaming at you, longer and more physically demanding hours, and you get paid less.

working at a country club for a living wage and with management that goes out of their way to support their staff

also alcohol and being the man on the inside for when the guillotines start to fall

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I had 4 tables booked for monday night dinner service and one no-showed. I didn't have to cut any staff because we're all paid regular full time wages and none of us work for tips. I'm going home early cuz salary.

country cluuuuubs

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I absolutely shift my expectations based on mood or the folk I'm with. Sometimes it makes sense that I'd just want a crisp lager or a cheap basic buttery Chardonnay, other times I'd absolutely order the weirdest poo poo on the menu. Gimme that chocolate desert with powdered shiitake mushroom dust and matcha that everyone else at the table is scared of.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

spoken like folk without kids

we gotta jam vegetables into the good poo poo in order to trick them

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

twitter found an old friend:
https://twitter.com/turing_police/status/1133935564099469312

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've made the hot coffee in a glass pitcher and then put on ice mistake more than once, and i mostly put it down to sleep deprivation

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

hey everything? gently caress you, I hate everything you do

AJJ is my getting mad in the wine cellar and binning the poo poo that the evening staff didn't bother to do and then punching the cardboard violently to break it down for recycling

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

They get real scared when I break out the hatchet to bust up the cases of bordeaux for firewood

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This. We run an open kitchen so we don't have music on the line, but I let the dish and prep people in the back play music. My only stipulation is that i can't hear it in the dining room.

this is my rule. Music's fine and encouraged during periods where we're not actively serving (530-7am) (10-12) (3-530pm) then after the last table leaves

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm doing inventory stuff this morning because it's that time of month and the only way I can survive in this open office plan in our basement is with Every Mastodon album in a row.

I got all our vendors coming through here, florists, dish guys wheeling recycling out to the front, the AR guy playing eurovision and whistling like he's trying to murder a dog via sound.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

posting from the private club i work at that is closed after lunch, and closed all day tomorrow

we have 6 covers total for lunch service

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is it the kind of private club where even FOH gets a real wage and tips aren't part of comp? Because if so, at least everyone is getting paid to be bored.

yeah! our full timers are remarkably long tenure because of the stable hours, decent pay and bennies

update: we only did 7 covers, but I sold 3 bottles of champagne, 3 martinis and 2 negronis

kitchen shut down and left about 20 minutes ago

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I was wiping a cognac snifter with a cloth while I was also angrily arguing with someone and I broke it into many pieces, some of which decided to slice a real gnarly piece of the tip of my ring finger clean off. Glued it back on, but holy gently caress did it hurt after shock wore off.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Shooting Blanks posted:

Question for those who work in/manage places with a decent wine list: Is it a fair assumption that your house wine is actually pretty good to very good, and generally a good value? A buddy of mine who's a wine drinker firmly believes that house wines are the same as rail liquors, aka Heaven Hill, Taaka, etc. which wasn't my experience - but I wanted a couple additional opinions.

We run a blind tasting commitee yearly with house wine candidates. Whole range of prices and distributors. When a wine knocks off a multi year winner we use that as a selling point when people ask "how's your house ****" Well it beat the one you really liked last year so just drink it.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

sympathies my siblings

off for two weeks (paid (seriously? how the hell?)) and i wish you all the best

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It'll get extended since distributors are somewhat shut down too. I know I have to go in a couple days next week to do end of month stuff like inventory. I'll be the only one in the building for the duration at least.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Went on furlough starting Monday, got called by the boss today to talk about re-opening up under takeout 3 days a week starting the 20th.

How do I explain to them that I'd make more under UI and the 600 than by working 12 hours a week without sounding like a dick? I'm also not entirely sure that I couldn't just work part time and still collect the remainder from UI. This is all very strange to me considering I've worked for this club for 15 years and forget how to unemployment.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

MA is pretty good about it, applied Monday and got the determination back today with instructions for claiming each week. I think I'll get deducted from the base value for part time hours, then I get the child and covid 600 on top of that, but I have absolutely no clue until I can claim for this week next Sunday.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

There's all kinds, on one hand you have the alcoholic priest who comes in a couple times a week to drink after mass and avoid his wife and stays for 2 hours while trying to talk to you about whatever he saw on fox news, but on other hand you have the middle aged retired man who just wants to have a whatever the daily is but with extra green veg and is in and out in 30 without saying anything but "it was delicious, thank you."

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

My situation is pretty simple, since it's a members only club we've always had everyone's contact info saved in a database. The only changes we've had to make are mandating reservations and disallowing walk-ins and requiring all guests names upon reservations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Mondays are usually an early day for our crew, but it's a skeleton one these days with just 2 on the line and 2 in the front most lunch services. We go up to 3 each for dinner and a couple more in the front, but it's like 4pm start time.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Disargeria posted:

Quit your restaurant job, find a different desk job.

Be happy, work 40 hours a week, see your friends and family.

Alternately, get a desk job at a country club. 40 hours, pays better than the average restaurant but the clientele is orders of magnitude worse.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I'm at work (private club) early doing inventory since it's the first of the month and we're open for dinner service tonight. It's not super busy but our averages covers have been going up since our membership is older and vaccinated. GM calls and asks if I can help run service tonight when A: we already have a host, 2 bar and 4 servers on for THIRTY covers, and B: I've already worked 45 hours this week, and C: my day crew partner and I do TWENTY covers for lunch with just us 2. Feeling a lil disgruntled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

the price i paid for not staying past 530 on saturday is opening->closing double today into an open tomorrow