Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Yeah, if you don't like regulars, you probably shouldn't be front of house in a bar or restaurant.

The whole concept of modern, western service is somehow fostering and creating genuine human relationships in a transactional environment. (I mean, the illusion of that is pretty much all sales, but pure capitalism and stuff like online/non-storefront selling has undermined that a bit). I would be immediately confused if someone told me something like the above post during an interview, because I run a small, neighborhood cocktail place and hate huge bars and chain restos that show their transactional nature blatantly. I'm also a bar history nerd and the whole of bar culture goes back to the tavern, which was always the center of communities and the primary locale for socialization and discourse, where everyone would be a regular. The whole third place thing, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Man guilt over the FOH/BOH divide is why I don't work at a bar with a kitchen despite my overall ticket sales and thus tips being a lot lower without food. Not much can be done about it though without tearing down the entire international structure of food service in North America and no one has enough money or clout to do that other than the big chain owners who built the system to benefit from.

Which is probably why the industry will choke to death on employment shortages until our pro-dystopia political leaders get things to suck enough that people are desperate to do anything for work again.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

As someone who has worked in both places but managed only in the expensive one, holy poo poo is it so much easier/cheaper to make your money on booze in the US than Ontario.

Like, booze is still the main profit lever in restaurants here but, after currency exchange, $8US a well bottle is about 2/5ths what we pay.

Like, the well for some stuff is below the low end up here (no Old Crow or KY Tavern in Ontario, beam is the cheapest you get) but that's bonkers.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

That's Ohio/St Louis style imho (thin round pizza with square cut and crispy corner pieces). Detroit style is a thicker square pizza, not Chicago thick, cut into smaller square. Sorry Chicago guy you are actually eating Columbus/Cleveland style pizza. Makes sense since everyone cool from restaurants in Ohio eventually moves to Chicago

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

everwake posted:

I'm pretty sure "Cleveland-style" pizza is one restaurant using provolone for their cheese and then calling it "Cleveland-style" for the marketing.

I lived in Columbus for 12 years and have never heard of a Columbus-style pizza. I guess that kind of looks like what Donatos serves.

I lived there for 7 years (granted, almost 15 years ago) and all the independent pizzerias made pizza that way -- hound dogs ( non smoking Joe's), the pizza place by studio 35, portofinos, Ohio State pizza, a bunch I forget. Donatos is originally from Gahanna, OH; they're the style that everyone else used to do.

St Louis has the same style of pizza -- super thin crust, square cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

. I'm glad to now be at a distance from manipulative bartenders and the competitive drinkers they prey on.

I'm glad you got out of the industry (there are very few good jobs and most the big restaurant group owners in Toronto range from "weirdo workaholics" to "evil nepo businessmen fueled by drugs and sexual harassment") and followed your Tilt saga here and in the Toronto thread but man you have managed to do some real wild vagueposts about Toronto bartenders lately.