Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i really like when a beer is described as "sessionable", like they actually came up with a word for "this beer doesn't taste like poo poo, AND you can drink a gently caress ton of em"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
imagine giving them mezcal :getin:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
for a good balance of "wow that's actually really good" and not completely loving your wallet, i suggest casa noble anejo

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah the fancy cocktail list is to give you ideas from the bartender's style, special things they do there, otherwise why would you go there? you can make your own manhattan at home, but you can't make a flaming purple whatsit with obscure liqueurs and house-made syrups/juices. if you want a manhattan then order a manhattan and they'll make you one

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'm pretty sure it doesn't make any difference and is just confirmation bias

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
you drank too much and didn't realize it because you were drinking. that's how drinking works

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'm not some fancy kiwi pharmacist but yes, yes i am

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Kenny Logins posted:

great news! I got a different bottle of Bulleit from a different store and it's completely different in a good way.

the whole point of blending different barrels in the whiskey is to produce a uniform taste, sounds like they are not doing a very good job

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dislike button posted:

bulleit just opened its first disillery like last year, before it was made in a seagrams? factory along with every other 'artisinal' bourbon whiskey

bulleit rye is from the seagrams facility in indiana (aka mgp/ldi) like many other ndp ryes. bulleit bourbon is from kentucky, although they won't say exactly where. for many years it was distilled by four roses (formerly owned by seagrams, now kirin)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

echinopsis posted:

lol at bourbon

i mean i like bourbon but the few rules it has doesn't exclude poo poo like that at all

jack daniels tour by the way was one of the coolest things we did when visit the US

lol "few rules". bourbon is by far the most regulated spirit in the usa

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
ooh ooh i want to play, let me get my thesaurus and look up other synonyms for "rules"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
brown forman makes so much jd that they basically have to do that, nobody else can keep up with production

bourbon is required to be aged in new charred oak barrels, but many whiskies from other countries can be aged in used barrels, so there's also a huge market for ex-bourbon barrels

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dislike button posted:

jack is kind of expensive for what it is imo, Evan Williams, George dickel, Seagrams 7, jim beam etc all taste about the same and are cheaper. if I'm drinking whiskey on the rocks I'll usually do makers or crown over jack any day

i can abide your preference but not your claim that they taste the same. nothing tastes like jack except jack, this is due to the lincoln county process using maple charcoal which gives it that characteristic sweetness. i can identify a jack and coke or a jack rocks purely by scent, and lol smdh if you can't

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

qhat posted:

i'm not really a whisky drinker but want to drink good whisky. what are some good whiskies for a whisky philistine to drink?

go to a bar and try samples or single drinks of different whiskies to get an idea of what you like before you start spending $50+ on bottles of scotch

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

eschaton posted:

go to Trader Joe's and get a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12, it's a good start and all-around drinking whisky

they should also have Laphroig 10 if you want to try something really exceptionally smoky to see if that's something you like

most other whisky will have a taste somewhere on the spectrum between those two, with other notes too of course

i find the notion that the taste spectrum of whiskey can be conveyed via two scotches so deeply and viscerally offensive that i'm inclined to put you on ignore

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dislike button posted:

bourbon / whiskey is real good and basically the only kind of liquor i drink. scotch is gross

if you want to get into scotch and bourbon is your thing, pick up a bottle of tamdhu. it is good and you will like it

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i... uh... yes, exactly?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

OldAlias posted:

gin is good, negronis have grown on me to be one of my favorite drinks. this is the gin i have now, but i'm instead drinking the strong poo poo beer san miguel makes called red horse

i have never seen this gin or even heard of it. not in a single well at any bar i have been to. so i googled and i find: "As of 2012, its flagship product, Ginebra San Miguel, is the largest-selling gin in the world, with sales of 23.8 million 9-litre cases"

what the gently caress IS this poo poo

e: it's from the philippines??? gin should be from london

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Poopernickel posted:

if you live in america the only correct spelling is whiskey, tia

this is correct, but regardless it is irrelevant how you spell it because the bartender cannot hear the difference when you ask for a whiskey vs a whisky. if you want scotch then say scotch. if you want bourbon then say bourbon. but in america, if you ask for whiskey it is unlikely you will get scotch

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
no, that's my point

but some people are into the whole "whiskey = american" vs "whisky = scottish" thing

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Salt Fish posted:

I just drank a glass of Glenmorangie and now I'm sitting here contemplating how skilled labor is actually quite easy and doesn't require skill.

the skill is involved mostly in figuring out how to maintain steady work until retirement with your hosed up lower back injuries and subsequent opiate dependence

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i can't wait to automate whatever industry stymie's in

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
thankfully, the best kind of computer touching (software engineering) cannot be fully automated, because giving the automaton a clear specification of the system to design amounts to designing the system. abstractions may improve, but that just means more opportunities for abstraction-breaking failures that take an expert to diagnose. without human-level AI, i don't think this job is going anywhere anytime soon

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i'll have made enough money by then to retire (and also buy whatever company you work for and close it :smug:)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i like my job a lot actually, i find it quite fulfilling, and what i don't get there i can easily afford to get from recreation with all the cash dollar bills i make!

i'm not hateful, i just think you're a human being. and a bad poster.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

akadajet posted:

idempotent

one drink makes him drunk, but more drinks will not make him any drunker?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaman Linavi posted:

the only non-fruity IPA i've been able to drink is Ruination Double

i also had some belgian beer called Piraat and it was v good

if you liked piraat try gulden draak. those are too dark for me though

an ipa is ok if they don't go completely overboard with the bitterness (they usually do). the beer i'm drinking now is 64 ibu but i normally go for 50 or less

what i don't understand are all the 13% bourbon aged stouts that taste like coffee and dirt. or sour beers, those are pretty bad too

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Poopernickel posted:

beer doesn't need to be smoky and if i want to get drunk on something that tastes like bourbon, I'll drink bourbon.

pre-fuckin-cisely

i'll work on my sour taste, any intro beers you sour fans would recommend?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
sparkling rose is ok sometimes

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
filled up my growler with some 9% "hella gnar" from the alpha acid brewing co taproom in belmont :getin:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mishaq posted:

rose is good poo poo, as long as its from france

with a few exceptions rose in the us is either sweet garbage or just garbage

the french cremants (alsace, bourgogne, limoux, loire) are p good, usually dry, and waaay cheaper than champagne

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah but his e/n thread is about how he cheats on his wife, and this thread is about how he prepares to cheat on his wife. big difference

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

that is extremely triggering

i know right? ardbeg, ugh

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
old overholt is really bad but so is rittenhouse now so wtf are you supposed to do

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
cbs: alpha acid "haight toronado"

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i had some saison and it was p good but seemed hard to get drunk on. maybe i need a session saison

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
a 6-pack is called a 6-pack, not a half dozen. a 12-pack could be called a dozen beers but i've usually just heard 12-pack. larger sizes like 24 or 30 are usually called a case

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

eschaton posted:

I don't think I could finish an entire pint of it

any beer where you have to say this is trying way too hard and is not a good beer

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

maskenfreiheit posted:

delerium is good and im sad its hard to find on draft in the usa

if you're in sf, gestalt on 16th st between valencia and guerrero has delirium on tap :) also lots of pinball machines :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

drink Armagnac instead, it is 1/3 the price and better.

this is a major league pro drinking strat right here