Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for future reference the correct variation choices are:

laphroiag: quarter cask, younger and more dynamic than the 10, and it goes to straight trash as it gets older
ardbeg: uigeadail, the 10 year old and pretty much every other expression overdoes the smoke by a mile, the uigeadail is far more interesting with a lot of sherry-casked blended in
lagavulin: 16yo, i think the others only exist for the stupidly cheap or stupid rich?

for older single-malts the only value i know of is the tomatin 18/25 yo, which is fantastically affordable, likely because the 10/15 yo is very unpleasant, but the older ones mellow out beautifully

mostly i drink the piss beer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

where are the cava and prosecco options

if you have some available where you are, get mcc ("méthode cap classique") from south africa. super-solid champagne-style sparkling wines for peanuts (i.e. priced more like the casual prosecco/cava while being far more subtle and interesting)

unfortunately the good stuff sees little export, and there is some very bad (though cheap) non-mccs available in most places

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

off to town to buy a case or two of dead pony club to drink hanging about a music festival next week. 3.8% abv is just about right for the all-day purpose

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i really like universal basic income in theory, but i am also aware that i am a highly educated person who (according to the bad measures used for these things) could make substantial contributions to the economy, but given the option of leaning back in a chair reading books for €560 a month i likely would opt for that instead v:shobon:v

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

agreed, i think that remains true, and something of the sort is necessary, we really can't just make up work for people forever. i am careful making the argument for it though as i have to admit that i would myself be a bit of a bad case for such reform

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so unclear what would happen in many ways, but obviously one does have to shrug ones shoulders about the drunkards and drug users for it to even start to make sense

had some nice red wine yesterday, light beer today

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just start a separate intervention thread so we can keep the concerns (getting drunk; vs.; getting sober) separate

i had cheap lager at a hippy-intensive music festival tonight, was very relaxed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bump_fn posted:

idk if its stockholm syndrome but i really like malort

it is pretty nice, though mostly in that digestif sort of role it originated in. small little sip to cleanse (or rather hard reset) the palate and so on

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qhat posted:

you'd think that russians would be ultra hardened with alcohol given the industrial cleaner poo poo they drink, but all the russians i know are also somehow the first to get completely shitfaced at any gathering

p. sure built-up tolerance is mostly made up (up to a rather severe point), people are just more or less used to the effects of being drunk without the physical effects differing (i.e. you are just as motor function impaired but because you are more used to being motor function impaired you don't really notice)

in fact i also suspect that people going on about how they can't drink anymore in their middle age because they get such terrible hangovers have just gotten too comfortable for a bit of a headache. i.e. when they were teenagers and first got to drink tolerated it out of the novelty, and as long as they kept up some kind of party lifestyle feeling like poo poo on occasion remained a thing which had a shimmer of normalcy to it

at the very least the mechanism behind such a change is unclear to my (no doubt incorrect) knowledge, since the popular idea of the liver getting less efficient would give you lesser hangovers (spreading the breaking down of the alcohol, and the nasty byproducts thereof, over a longer span of time)

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 15, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

found myself in germany for work for a few days, enjoying the beer very much. a surprise what nearly a decade of increasingly ridiculous ipas and weird lets-toss-this-non-beer-ingredient-in-the-beer experiments being the standard does to your tastes, i'm appreciating the german beer far more than the last time i were over

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what is especially good is cigars on balconies after drinking some alcohol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one of the upsides of cigars specifically is that it is pretty easy to keep from it becoming a very regular habit (just not that practical outside of e.g. nice summer evenings). i doubt it should go very high on the list of things about to kill me, should probably knock off drinking before cigars, and probably should knock off a lot of the worse greasy salty foods before i knock off drinking

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

beyond that there is very little conversation to be had about cigars which is not either engaging with ~brands~ or pointless pretentiousness (people mostly know what they like, and quality is reasonably easy to judge), so don't fear a derail on that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if you buy sixpacks and have the normally expected number of hands i guess?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

OldAlias posted:

it is sort of surprising that gut rot like the Cuba libre became so popular. I understand this is in part because of Cuba's relationship with America / sugar monoculture export but it was unambiguously swill of the time

rum and coke makes a lot more sense than whisky and coke though, and it should come with a healthy squeeze of lime as well to balance it out a bit

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wine tastings with people who know their poo poo is awesome, to the point where i actually don't really consider it in the same category as other drinking, despite getting drunk off my rear end on the regular by going to such tastings

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

how would you classify "knowing your poo poo"? this guy definitely told us stuff that i didn't know before or properly understand, which i guess counts

i mean, i am in (affordable and quite good) wine country here myself despite not being hugely knowledgeable on wine. the pattern here tends to be someone intimately familiar with the wines and farm, who is also a huge drunkard, drinking along with you and having extensive discussions on the specific terroir and how the guys owning the next farm over are shitheads. which is *huge* fun, but i suspect that as long as the person can sort of casually throw out smells, tastes, and random facts, which are all plausible, it is a fun experience

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

reinheitsgebot. it is the law.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

having a lovely '07 cab/shiraz blend, and the shiraz haters can just :getout:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

prefect posted:

this was the place. it was nice

i was going to argue, but vouvray is all about chenin blanc, and chenin blanc is where it is at for white wine

still more a red drinker, but a good chenin on a warm day~

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also, despite my complaining about people arguing against shiraz earlier, where it is actually at now for (single varietal) reds: cabernet franc. suits the palates of today, and is yet deep and interesting

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

had cbc lager with some snacks last night

a bad habit, as cbc lager is good, but it is precisely the kind of good that the germans and czech do with precision at low prices, but comes with the craft beer surcharge

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

i have half a bottle of laphroaig quarter cask that ive let sit for years because that was an exceptionally poor choice for someone (me) who doesnt drink scotch. does that poo poo ever like... go bad?? its been sitting in the cardboard sleeve or whatever it came in without a top and has been in roughly room temp for that whole time.

im a liquor idiot.

it never goes bad as in dangerous to drink, the alcohol content does not decrease much (you have the oh-so-silly cork though, so a little seeps out very slowly) so nothing will grow in it. the air in the bottle does mess with the smell/taste a bit though, mostly in that a lot of the fresher (fruity and sharp) tastes come from stuff that will happily oxidize away

the rule of thumb i was taught was that one should finish a x% full bottle within x% of two years, but that is clearly bullshit since it doesn't work for 100% (you can keep them basically indefinitely unopened), and it obviously matters if you keep opening it, freshening the air inside (well, when reasonably full at least presumably all the reactions that will happen will happen at some point)

as noted though, it is 100% fine to drink, so pour a bit for a whisky-drinking friend and see if they ask for a refill

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

when you say without a top, do you mean no lid/cork/stopper/whatever, i.e. leaving the booze open to the air?

this is probably bad, yes

nah, he means the metal lid of the cardboard tubes laphroiag sells in, which doesn't matter, good it is in the tube anyway since at least light is not an issue that way

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that'd be true if you had just gone for something other than ipas, which are just the current overpriced trendy thing where whisky was 10 years ago

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

drinking very cheap rose (the only kind of relevance) in the sun and feeling pretty good about things

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

maskenfreiheit posted:

i wish cocktails would become cool again

every time i order a manhattan i get a weird look because most millenials only order cocktails they saw their hero, the alcoholic don draper, order on the hit tv show "let's be nostalgic for sexism"

they've certainly come back around in some places, may only be a matter of time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i liked the ipa fad in 2008 when it meant bars at home started selling sierra nevada, but have literally noticed no improvement in the nine years since

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

easy to be snobbish about the boston beer company, but they were trailblazers and still make good beer. the average microbrewer can only hope to walk the line between decent quality and affordable mass production as well

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tatsujin posted:

weirdly enough the swedish bar I used to live by did mulled wine slushies in the summer, they were actually quite good

glögg is a pretty specific thing though, and as it mostly sugar and spices i can imagine it working well as a slushie

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

gløgg/glögg, glühwein and mulled wine are all pretty similar imo, regional variation seems to be mainly slight differences in which spices you use. also i've seen the heathen nordics use white wine, which is pretty unusual away from the france-bordering parts of germany

the versions with added spirits are good too (a proper feuerzangenbowle is awesome), as is mulled cider

i have limited experience outside of glögg, but when i have encountered e.g. glühwein it has been more wine tones, more aggressive spices, and a fair bit less sweet

in other notes blossa trestjärnig with rum is sold every year around christmas (in sweden), and is made with white wine (with usual glögg spicing) and fortified with rum. it is most excellent, though again in small quantities as it is quite sweet

in fact being in south africa now one of the major things i will miss from sweden over christmas is a spot of that coming home freezing from work, though i will not miss coming home freezing from work in and of itself

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

except all three are dialects of icelandic

which uses ö.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

reporting from the wrong hemisphere it is now getting to be too hot to reliably enjoy red wine as something refreshing, which means, incidentally, that it is getting to be too hot

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

36 degrees celsius out and a productive week at work, i think some white wine with ice going into some beer at the pub once it starts cooling off is the ticket

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ffs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

do all these weird brown absinths still have that good good thujone in them or what?

yeah, nothing is done specifically to remove it (though the maximum contents is regulated, most evidence is that even in the heyday of absinthe it didn't exceed modern limits). it is most likely a myth that it has any real effect on people, the claimed effects of absinthe were most likely down to artists drinking 80% abv drinks, starting at lunch, out in the hot paris sun

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bottle of cab franc and instant soup, also good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

life is a struggle, swallow your bitter pils

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

where are you guys paying $40 for bulleit? a 750 here in LA is $22.

yeah, this seems legit weird, it is $38 in freaking sweden, which usually serves as the universal upper limit on liquor prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cheap lager at the esports pub watching agdq, all the sins~