Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JewKiller 3000 posted:

why would it be cold outside, bay aryan supremacy

remember: bay area rhymes with diarrhea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bay aryans? holy poo poo i didn’t realise
the nazi chat fromth dead twitter account had spilled over

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

wintertime-adjacent starry skies are officially here and so is my turbulent love with liquor

veins of the body and soul staying artificially warm after some shots inbetween chowing on piles of pickles and pork fat based slices of pig. served altogether on a platter that sum up ideals of being zakuski

cozy from the inside :unsmith:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

anyone in to sake? i used to think it was pretty poo poo then i did a pairing at a very nice joint (sho in stockholm i highly recommend it). one of them was so delicate it was like drinking coconut water. now i'm trying to learn more. my conclusion is that unlike most poo poo spending more actually gets you a superior product.

the coconut one might be hakkaisan, which is a reasonably common sake brand that has a coconut water taste to it. like most alcohol the best way to learn is to drink a bunch of it and take note of what you like, but generally speaking:

quality to price ratio is similar to wine - if you can spend more than $20 on a bottle then it will be a lot better than a $10 bottle, and a $40 bottle will be better again. past that point it varies.

quality sake is usually cold, but there are exceptions.

again generally speaking, sake from north of Tokyo is a cleaner more pure taste, and South is more floral. hakkaisan is from the north (Niigata)

useful words:

junmai- pure rice sake with no added spirits. gives a cleaner less floral taste.

honjozo, ginjo, daiginjo - grades of rice milling (how much of each rice grain they polish away). associated with all kinds of flavors but usually priced in that order

like I said, just drink a bunch of it and see what you like though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
liquor like salad. good cool/cold, good warm/room temp. almost uniformly terrible hot

hot toddies are an exception but those are more therapeutic than recreational anyway

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

let’s chat about soju, i like it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

minivanmegafun posted:

i used to only use soju to bump up beers like pbr but i got a taste for drinking it straight. it's very refreshing when cold. i wish it was cheaper in canada though, not really worth the expense most of the time.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

we’re getting an H-Mart downtown soon so I hope I can start getting it really cheap without having to go waaaaaay to the northwest side to koreatown

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
korean booze is very cheap and very good

I like going to Yeowoosai and San Soo Gab San but as minivanmegafun points out all the good korean places and giant asian supermarkets are all in the far northwest side

I think San Soo Gab San is opening a location closer to the loop as well over in river west

they opened a Bonchon in Chinatown, but Crisp is still the best for korean fried chicken

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
forgot to buy beer now i've got no beer

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

big scary monsters posted:

forgot to buy beer now i've got no beer

:sad:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

minivanmegafun posted:

u giev soju?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the night i graduated from grad school we all went to this soju place downtown that serves it out of watermelons. you can barely taste the alcohol and then suddenly you're FUCKIN drunk

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i found the names of the different sakes if anyone was interested

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mulled wine is a pretty good not cold alcohol imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yuck tho

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

beers good

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bulgakov posted:

beers good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

fart simpson posted:

chicago office drone tradition: go to Daley plaza and get tanked on glühwein drank from boots under the Picasso during your lunch break in December.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

fart simpson posted:

weirdly enough the swedish bar I used to live by did mulled wine slushies in the summer, they were actually quite good

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

chicago office drone tradition: go to Daley plaza and get tanked on glühwein drank from boots under the Picasso during your lunch break in December.

bonus points if the donermen food truck is there and is selling club mate

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my wife got a rose slush from some restaurant and it was, as expected, terrible. she thought it'd be more than just frozen rose but nope, that was it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ive tried to find individual bottles of karatamba for sale but no luck

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tatsujin posted:

weirdly enough the swedish bar I used to live by did mulled wine slushies in the summer, they were actually quite good

glögg is a pretty specific thing though, and as it mostly sugar and spices i can imagine it working well as a slushie

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
gløgg/glögg, glühwein and mulled wine are all pretty similar imo, regional variation seems to be mainly slight differences in which spices you use. also i've seen the heathen nordics use white wine, which is pretty unusual away from the france-bordering parts of germany

the versions with added spirits are good too (a proper feuerzangenbowle is awesome), as is mulled cider

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gløgg/glögg, glühwein and mulled wine are all pretty similar imo, regional variation seems to be mainly slight differences in which spices you use. also i've seen the heathen nordics use white wine, which is pretty unusual away from the france-bordering parts of germany

the versions with added spirits are good too (a proper feuerzangenbowle is awesome), as is mulled cider

can we get a letter o with both the slash through it and an umlaut?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
ǿ and ӫ are the best i can find in unicode. the senseless swedish-norwegian language wars continue

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have limited experience outside of glögg, but when i have encountered e.g. glühwein it has been more wine tones, more aggressive spices, and a fair bit less sweet

in other notes blossa trestjärnig with rum is sold every year around christmas (in sweden), and is made with white wine (with usual glögg spicing) and fortified with rum. it is most excellent, though again in small quantities as it is quite sweet

in fact being in south africa now one of the major things i will miss from sweden over christmas is a spot of that coming home freezing from work, though i will not miss coming home freezing from work in and of itself

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ǿ and ӫ are the best i can find in unicode. the senseless swedish-norwegian language wars continue

so senseless, they’re just dialects of Danish

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
so i keep telling people but rather than listening they go ahead and invent nynorsk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

except all three are dialects of icelandic

which uses ö.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

my wife got a rose slush from some restaurant and it was, as expected, terrible. she thought it'd be more than just frozen rose but nope, that was it
yup my friends made this and it was also terrible.

gf and i went to sushi nakazawa in nyc for my birthday. they have a "sake tasting" option which is listed at $40 but it really means $40 a glass and they keep bringing it out until you tell them to stop. we didnt get taht and ended up being wicked drunk and $400 in the hole. oh well

still dont know much about sake but i quite liked dassai and bought a bottle afterwards

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
re: cocktails the pro choice at a bar is to just ask for vodka in a glass

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

better pronounce it vodker just to make sure they get the right idea

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

bobbilljim posted:

instead of vodka neat, or on the rocks, the real pro choice is to order a vodka martini with no vermouth. that way the bartender has to give you a martini glass full of chilled booze

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
"Martini only instead of gin use vodka, instead of vermouth use tonic water, and instead of an olive use a lime wedge"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

except all three are dialects of icelandic

which uses ö.

i mean it's all just indo-european when you come down to it

we should be saving our energy for the real enemy: the finns with their weird language and their disgusting liquorice vodka

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

instead of vodka neat, or on the rocks, the real pro choice is to order a vodka martini with no vermouth. that way the bartender has to give you a martini glass full of chilled booze

too slow imo. just say "I'll have a vodka mate" and you'll get it in no time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

disgusting liquorice vodka

Pernod is really good though?