Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well this was a loving nice surprise. More of everything from the first. If you wanted anything different, gently caress off. Not in a horrible way, its just this film isn't what you're looking for. It's a big loving mech anime in parts.

Big, dumb, loud. First one had more style but gently caress me Uprising was fun. Definitely in awe of those lads and the ladess. Absolute Units, every one.

SCRAPPER IS THE loving BOSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pretty decent popcorn flick, same as the first. glad the fight scenes were actually clearer this time around

lol @ the gundam cameo though, with this being as low-key fascist as the first one was. the precursors will never give up and never compromise so now pacific rim 3 gets to be about us nuking their planet with our monsters

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I recall it being said that Pacific Rim 1 was written like an adaptation of the finale of some lost 70s mecha anime.

Pacific Rim: Uprising is like if that anime had a sequel, and they tried to adapt an entire season of it. It's overstuffed. There's a proliferation of provocative plot devices and a larger cast who hint at traits that you could hang an arc off of, like they couldn't bear to make merciless cuts for time. And the result of all that is that the plot devices are abandoned instead of resolved, and the characters are never established. That gives it a feeling like it was written for an audience who already knew all these people.

There was a thread about whether Liwen was trustworthy, that ended with the revelation that Newt was a traitor because he was still connected to the Precursor hivemind. That's a concept that could've been taken in any number of directions, especially in light of how the original approached its own social commentary, but here it was totally perfunctory. It was just something that happened. There's very little to say about it except to observe that the Chinese captain of industry who was putting the government-funded PPDC out of business had good and honest intentions from the beginning and everything would've been fine if there hadn't been an alien saboteur. Unlike its predecessor, it's hard to find any ambiguity in that.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched the film and it's ANIME enough. I love anime so that's plus points for me.

The only way it could have been more ANIME is if:
1. Mako Mori gets critically-injured instead of eating it in the helicopter crash, recovers just in time to manually pilot Scrapper with a head bandage for the final battle and chiding herself to be too old for this poo poo.
2. Instead of Gipsy Avenger dropping fist-first into the mega kaiju, it does SUPER INAZUMA KICK.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McDragon posted:

Well this was a loving nice surprise. More of everything from the first. If you wanted anything different, gently caress off. Not in a horrible way, its just this film isn't what you're looking for. It's a big loving mech anime in parts.

Big, dumb, loud. First one had more style but gently caress me Uprising was fun. Definitely in awe of those lads and the ladess. Absolute Units, every one.

SCRAPPER IS THE loving BOSS

Pretty much this, my wife and I both loved it, and she's a big anime fan. Charlie Day and the German dude stole the show, but Jake was pretty charismatic.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I saw both this and RPO this week and I think I would have had more fun seeing this twice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought the first film made efforts to avoid the fascist angle by specifically using lawman titles rather than military ranks for the Jaeger Corps personnel.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OptimusShr posted:

I think that PPDC command did realize this after the events of PR1 Stacker (IIRC) mentions that they get pilots while they are young so they can form bonds and drift together. This way pilots with different styles and tactics can be used in any Jaeger and if one pilot is injured their usual partner can be replaced. Though they are still limited by the Jaeger's weapon load out.

I just finished watching PR1 again this evening, since I'm going to see PR2 with my family tomorrow. The unique flexibility of combat tactics and fighting style is a subtle thing but it's visible in more than just the mech battles. Raleigh constantly changes up how he fights in the kendo scene and the brawl with Aussie guy - it's especially visible in the kendo scene as he keeps changing how he grips the jo and attacks with it. Mako's the only other character who changes tactics mid-battle like that, during that same kendo scene. At a stretch, there's Stacker and Aussie pulling out the gurkha knives on Striker during the underwater battle but that's not a mid-fight adaptation.

PR1 really does have a wonderful eye for the little details. Like after seeing the movie once, you can tell that Gypsy is in trouble during the first battle with Knifehead before the first punch is ever thrown. The interior of Gypsy's cockpit is bathed in a blue glow, and blue throughout the film denotes kaiju. When scenes are blue, things are about to go badly for the home team. On the other hand, despite how desperate the last battle at the Breach looks, everything is lit up red, especially the interiors of the mech cockpits. Red is synonymous with humanity in the movie.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought the first film made efforts to avoid the fascist angle by specifically using lawman titles rather than military ranks for the Jaeger Corps personnel.

Lol if you believe this given how real world police forces behave.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cythereal posted:

I just finished watching PR1 again this evening, since I'm going to see PR2 with my family tomorrow. The unique flexibility of combat tactics and fighting style is a subtle thing but it's visible in more than just the mech battles. Raleigh constantly changes up how he fights in the kendo scene and the brawl with Aussie guy - it's especially visible in the kendo scene as he keeps changing how he grips the jo and attacks with it. Mako's the only other character who changes tactics mid-battle like that, during that same kendo scene. At a stretch, there's Stacker and Aussie pulling out the gurkha knives on Striker during the underwater battle but that's not a mid-fight adaptation.

PR1 really does have a wonderful eye for the little details. Like after seeing the movie once, you can tell that Gypsy is in trouble during the first battle with Knifehead before the first punch is ever thrown. The interior of Gypsy's cockpit is bathed in a blue glow, and blue throughout the film denotes kaiju. When scenes are blue, things are about to go badly for the home team. On the other hand, despite how desperate the last battle at the Breach looks, everything is lit up red, especially the interiors of the mech cockpits. Red is synonymous with humanity in the movie.

Nice eye for detail there. Definitely curious on your thoughts on the second one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i just want to make a shoutout to one of the best scenes in cinematic history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrFuezd3r44&t=230s

that is, just the few seconds where they're screaming at the top of their lungs as they puff their chests out to fire missiles at a giant monster

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That whole sequence is amazing cheese. Power Move yeaaah

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I always heard that as 'AWW HELL YEAH'

I do like how they actually SHOW that Striker is far and away the best Jaeger though. Otachi tore Typhoon and Cherno to pieces in a matter of minutes and doesn't even land a single hit on Striker. Aussie just rolls up and beats seven shades of hell out of it, and was about to waste it with missiles when Leatherback intervened.

edit: huh, the subtitles do indeed say 'our power move, YEAH!!!' and you can hear that's what he's saying too.

i'm sticking with awww hell yeah because it suits his character

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 5, 2018

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Speaking of, rewatching the first movie reminded me how much i like Otachi. She's my favourite Kaiju visually and with her abilities and tactics she really brings across being a giant "gently caress you" to humanity.

Also i got weak and went all-in on the Pacific Rim miniatures game kickstarter :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Del Toro has said he deliberately avoided giving anyone a real military rank or title in Pacific Rim because he didn't want to glorify the military in general.

I think "Marshal" just reads as Field Marshal/Air Marshal/etc. though, and Stacker Pentecost basically wears an Air Force uniform at one point, so I think something got lost in translation there. Though in most of the movie he's just in a suit and everyone else in the PPDC is wearing civilian clothes too, so that idea wasn't entirely dumped.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 5, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

i just want to make a shoutout to one of the best scenes in cinematic history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrFuezd3r44&t=230s

that is, just the few seconds where they're screaming at the top of their lungs as they puff their chests out to fire missiles at a giant monster

The fight scenes in the first one are all great but man Raleigh or whatever his name is won’t shut the gently caress up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Invictus posted:

Nice eye for detail there. Definitely curious on your thoughts on the second one.

So... the same category I've put all the Star Trek reboot movies in: a mediocre but inoffensive popcorn action flick if it weren't for the title slapped on to it. Alternatively, I can put it alongside Independence Day: Resurgence as a sequel to a really good (if cheesy popcorn) sci-fi action movie that trips at the starting line and never recovers.

Like Idris Elba, Boyega does his best to salvage a thinly written role and the action is decent spectacle. That's all I can really say in its defense.

One of PR1's strengths, for me, was how easy every fight was to follow and how distinctive every mech and kaiju were. You could easily tell all of them apart by silhouette alone (useful for, say, Coyote Tango which only appears in silhouette), and the movie did an excellent job giving them all a bit of character, even the ones that barely appeared. Knifehead was primitive and animalistic, Leatherback was visibly angry and had a swagger to him, Otachi was tricky and went straight for the kill every time, Raiju was master of the hit and run, things like that.

PR2, not so much. It reminded me a lot of the Transformers movies in that almost every mech looked a lot alike, and so did every kaiju. I found myself not really caring about any of them except maybe Gypsy 2 and the final boss. PR2 also retconned a bunch of stuff about the generally coherent story in the first movie, and I've never been a fan of bringing back a loved character from the previous movie just to kill them to establish the villain's threat credentials. I also saw the twist about the villain coming from a mile away, it seemed to me even in the first movie like a logical consequence of the technology, and one thing I kinda wish PR1 had explored but understand why they didn't to keep the story focused was dealing with the idea of drift partners' personalities and memories bleeding into each other.

My niece and nephew enjoyed it, and good for them, but I wouldn't recommend this movie.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Speaking of, rewatching the first movie reminded me how much i like Otachi. She's my favourite Kaiju visually and with her abilities and tactics she really brings across being a giant "gently caress you" to humanity.

She was an absolute beast in every way. Leatherback only got the kill on Cherno because she'd already hosed it up and it jumped them from behind, where Otachi just ruined two Jaegers on her own and drat near killed Gipsy at least three seperate times. The natural weaponry she carries is insane too.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Note that Gypsy Danger is the only one that really incapacitated the Kaiju during those fights. The first thing he does when deployed is try to rip off the EMP gland that incapacitated Striker. When Otachi tries the same acid trick that crippled Cherno, he dodges it then promptly tears out the acid sack. When Otachi tries the tail attack that decapitated Crimson Gypsy freezes it off. Then of course there is the surprise sword when Otachi tries to fly away with Gypsy. The same tools the Kaiju used to stop 3 Jagers were all trounced by one dynamic Jager in the end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panfilo posted:

Note that Gypsy Danger is the only one that really incapacitated the Kaiju during those fights. The first thing he does when deployed is try to rip off the EMP gland that incapacitated Striker. When Otachi tries the same acid trick that crippled Cherno, he dodges it then promptly tears out the acid sack. When Otachi tries the tail attack that decapitated Crimson Gypsy freezes it off. Then of course there is the surprise sword when Otachi tries to fly away with Gypsy. The same tools the Kaiju used to stop 3 Jagers were all trounced by one dynamic Jager in the end.

Though I took that partly to be the result of Newt's drift. Newt knew Cherno, Typhoon, and Striker were on guard duty, and he knew Gypsy was out of commission. He also presumably knew how Cherno, Typhoon, and Striker all worked and fought, given that this is Newt. So Otachi and Leatherback were designed specifically to kill Cherno, Typhoon, and Striker, and knew exactly how to do it. Gypsy was something they hadn't planned for, and the great skill of Mako and Raleigh sealed the deal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also as little sense as it makes for Raleigh to not know about the sword given he's in Mako's brain I think Rule of Cool safely overrides that. Hell it manages to make the most anime thing possible (FOR MY FAMILY in Japanese followed by a slow motion bisection) cool as poo poo so it gets a pass

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I loved the first and my honest opinion is the second has no understanding at all of what made the first good.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Also as little sense as it makes for Raleigh to not know about the sword given he's in Mako's brain I think Rule of Cool safely overrides that. Hell it manages to make the most anime thing possible (FOR MY FAMILY in Japanese followed by a slow motion bisection) cool as poo poo so it gets a pass

Can I just say how much I hate the Japanese dialogue in the original, its so clunky and unnatural, it sounds like it was written in English then translated by someone with a copy of Japanese for Busy People.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I got that "overstuffed" feel to it too, though I was thinking more an entire season of a Sentai show. Like I do like that it actively had that vibe but you can tell people were thinking "Okay, we just BARELY got a sequel greenlit, let's assume this is it and throw in every idea we were talking about previously."

Certainly a few plot beats could have been dealt with in more detail, and the action isn't quite as awesome or expressive- there are some good bits though. It was pleasant but not the film it could have been- but then that would have meant GDT not making the film that actually won him his Oscar and so on, so maybe it's all for the best.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly I left the theatre almost angry. It just didn't have any of the same "feel" to it that the first one did. It showed in every frame how much GDT loved it and this one was just... a film. About robots and monsters. Meh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Honestly my favorite part of the entire movie was the junkyard jaeger versus the full size jaeger.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Captain Invictus posted:

Honestly my favorite part of the entire movie was the junkyard jaeger versus the full size jaeger.

When it ran into the big one and the camera was over the shoulder looking down on the tiny Scrapper I just laughed, it was like a parent looking down on a tiny naughty baby.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Uprising is going to make less than the first one did by over $100 million lol.

I blame Tupac in all the trailers; that poo poo was cringe next to big robots punching big monsters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Didn't it still make a profit? There probably won't be another one (and good if it'd be like uprising) but at least it broke even or made a little bit.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
It's a shame it probably isn't going to become a big cinematic universe/franchise thing :v:

In the right hands it could have probably been interesting and fun. The setting also offers enough niches and corners to house all sorts of different media but alas.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

viral spiral posted:

Uprising is going to make less than the first one did by over $100 million lol.

I blame Tupac in all the trailers; that poo poo was cringe next to big robots punching big monsters.

I blame the fact that it was really not a good film.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I blame the fact that it was really not a good film.

I think it's unfortunate because it's absolutely full of interesting and worthwhile ideas. Hell, the entire opening sequence - poor people living among the ruins of the war on the coasts, the economic heart of the US destroyed, salvagers stealing jaeger parts, military-grade jaegers being used to police the populace - could be a movie onto its own. But they whisk through them so quickly that none of them get room to breathe.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Knight posted:

I think it's unfortunate because it's absolutely full of interesting and worthwhile ideas. Hell, the entire opening sequence - poor people living among the ruins of the war on the coasts, the economic heart of the US destroyed, salvagers stealing jaeger parts, military-grade jaegers being used to police the populace - could be a movie onto its own. But they whisk through them so quickly that none of them get room to breathe.

I mean, lots of the interesting ideas and scenes were lifted directly from japanese monster movies and giant robot animes. If you want to watch ruined cities watch battle angel, or robot police watch patlabor, in the first movie that felt like loving references while this one it just felt like lazy stealing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
wanna see dat prequel that's just Spring Breakers, but with Jake inside his monsterbone mansion

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Invictus posted:

My niece and nephew were too young to see the first one when it came out, so they're watching PR1 for the first time in the family room while I keep an eye on them. More things I'm noticing, mainly about the red and blue lighting dynamics:

* The kaiju all have a distinctive blue bioluminescence. This is matched by most jaegers having a corresponding red look to them - Gypsy has its big, constantly visible red nuclear core (in my opinion, reinforcing that it's the protagonist). Crimson Typhoon is painted red, has red interior lighting, and its pilots wear red suits, particularly relevant considering most of the movie takes place in China reinforcing the home team theme. More subtle with Cherno, which has red lighting on its flamethrowers. Striker is a conspicuous absence in this regard.

* During the Hong Kong battle, all the lighting in the city is red, blue, and purple. The scenes at sea, when the kaiju wreck the jaegers, are very blue, but the moment the action moves to land (and Gypsy is gaining the upper hand) all the city lights are red. Big bursts of red accompany the deaths of both kaiju - Otachi is cut in half to a bright red/orange dawn over the planet, Leatherback's chest cavity explodes in red flame. Bursts of blue likewise accompany the defeat of the jaegers - the blue-black talons of Otachi piercing Typhoon's cockpit, blue water drowning Cherno's pilots, the blue-white EMP wave that disables Striker.

* Mako's emotional connection to the kaiju is foreshadowed by the blue locks in her hair. Does double duty as they're the same blue as her dress when she was a child, tying her back to that event. Correspondingly, the red shoes she wore as a child - and she becomes a pilot when Pentecost gives her a red shoe.

* The difference in kaiju tactics before and after Newt's drift is visible. Pre-drift, they seem very animalistic and clearly don't understand how jaegers work. See how Knifehead fights Gypsy and where it attacks, but also visible in the time skip flashes where the heads of jaegers are identifiable wreckage. Then at Hong Kong, the kaiju intelligently go for headshots every time. They know now that killing the cockpit kills the jaeger, and they go straight for the kill.

Del Toro had a terrific eye for little details, and showed a lot without ever explicitly telling you. He very much knew what he was doing and Pacific Rim feels like a labor of love.

PR2... just feels like bland, unremarkable sci-fi action. Not really bad per se, but it's going to have none of the staying power of PR1. None of the love and detail that went into the first movie is to be found here.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Which is funny, because del Toro uses a similar color shorthand in Shape of Water: "greens" tend to embody stifling conformity and antiseptic modernity as antagonistic forces, where "reds" are used to suggest passion, intimacy, or affection. Strickland is generally surrounded by and empowered by turquoise or green things, where Elisa becomes more powerful and confident with respect to how red things are.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/PacificRim_JP/status/984735744404029441

At least the promo stuff for Japan is on point.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When you put them all together those robots really don’t look good at all.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
They make me think of the Autobots from Transformers Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I did not pay enough attention to say whether it was the same in Uprising or not but i noticed that during closer views all the armour plates on Gipsy Danger jiggle a little bit with every major movement, as if they're mounted on shock absorbers. Which makes a lot of sense if you expect to be punched by godzilla. It's another little thing that adds to the sense of scale and weight.

• Locked thread