Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

kanonvandekempen posted:

It's hard to judge from a trailer, but look at the shot of the jaeger bursting out of a building from the trailer.

In the first movie, even the most nimble jaeger moved like a huge lumbering machine of war. They were huge, and gave the impression that a simple thing like moving an arm involved an incredible displacement of power. Some of the shots of new jaegers in the trailer look like robot ninja's and I don't like it.

Yeah, I think for most people who haven't been as engaged by this trailer as the visuals of PR1, this is the reason for it. The robots move like humans in robot costumes, not like enormous machines made up of multitudes of independent, moving parts. Most of the stuff that made the original robot presentation so incredible - that gave the impression of real weight, real force, of personality, of souls - has been dropped in favor of giant robot kung fu, which IMO just isn't nearly as compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Hey Steve, I’ll take one Pacific Rim: Blood and Sand please.

I knew those fight snippets from the trailer looked familiar.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

viral spiral posted:

Thank you. Rewatch the Gypsy Danger vs. Knifehead fight. Gypsy raising it's arms before smashing Knifehead into the ocean took time and power.

One of my top-3 favorite scenes. Everything about it - the deliberate wind-up, the entire robot seeming to bend to the Herculean effort of raising two building sized arms, the ratcheting clink-clink-clink to cement the impression of massive machinery being brought under tension - just came together so well.

And then in the trailer they've got giant robots pulling off inertia-less roundhouse kicks to the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXB-5MbKBgs

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Yeah they really need to take a bit from this style while trying not to be as embarrassingly racist as sombrero wearing Mexican Gundam

The canonical Mexican Jaeger is called 'Matador Fury.'

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And is piloted by ex-cons. :v:

IIRC, weren't they convicts who were basically piloting in exchange for freedom?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also possibly hella radiation poisoning, which seems to be an occupational hazard even for pilots who don't travel to another dimension.

That was really a Mk I thing, though. Although I suppose they could always conveniently retcon it to "we thought the Mk II and IIIs had sufficient shielding; we were wrong" or something.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Rough Lobster posted:

gently caress I'd pilot a giant robot for free. I'd purposefully go to jail if I knew robo justice was a possible outcome.

Good news - they died in their "this is totally your last fight before you get to walk" fight.

Panfilo posted:

I'm bummed Raleigh won't be in it. What about Hannibal Chau? He was great in the first one.

I kind of imagined the sequel involved Herc as the Marshall, Raleigh and Mako as the instructors that inevitably have to come out of retirement to save everyone's asses, and a new generation of Rangers.

The first film had several creative ways of showing drift compatibility; Raleigh and Yancy were twins, Herc and Chuck were those father son duos with a love/hate family relationship, Sasha and Alexa were a married couple, etc.
Mako and Raleigh were total strangers who...had fighting chemistry? Stacker and Chuck had no overlap but were deemed obviously, like totally obviously man, compatible through a mutual link to Herc. The first film wasn't exactly consistent in how it treated drift compatibility.

Inescapable Duck posted:

He did climb into the reactor to set the self-destruct personally.

Aha that's right. Welp.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 12, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Boo that they changed the ending of PR just to have Hannibal survive for a possible sequel...only for him not to appear in it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Bring him back for the 3rd film!

Pacific Rim: Atlantic Rim

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Make him do mocap for a Kaiju too.

A Penguin Kaiju. If we're going to cross some poo poo over, let's do it right.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

More like...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

"You lookin' at me? You lookin'at me?? Hey - down here!"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

That trailer and the way they had all the young people standing together reminded me a LOT of the Independence Day sequel, where I feel like they had a bunch of young people also standing together a bunch.

That's funny, because I found the first one to basically be: Independence Day: Robots v Monsters Edition. Obviously there was the whole Pentecost "cancelling the apocalypse" speech, which tried so hard to ape the president's speech from ID4. But so many other elements, including the entire climax and resolution - having to ride an 'alien ship' to interface with and gain access to their base of operations to nuke them from the inside - felt pulled straight out of that movie.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Panfilo posted:

Crimson Typhoon. Unfortunately this is an example of the 'Worf Effect'. The Kaiju wouldn't seem as much of a threat if they didn't defeat any Jagers on screen, so they had to kill off two of them just to show how dangerous Leatherback and Otachi were.
What that scene was actually intended to showcase wasn't how badass Otachi and Leatherback were, but how well-equipped they were to take on the Jaegers they came up against, due to what's his face's mind meld with the Kaiju. To this point, Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha had to be kinda clowned to achieve that statement, and that was achieved by the Kaijus attacking what they now knew to be weak points - Crimson's head, Cherno's reactor, Stryker's all digital build, etc.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 23, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cythereal posted:

And to think in the thread we were all expecting Striker to get chumped to establish the threat, since it was the most advanced and powerful of the lot.
But it did, thoroughly - it just got saved by the plot.

quote:

Still mad that the only really interesting looking mechs were there as cannon fodder. Gypsy and Striker were visually boring as battle mechs go.

Agree on Stryker, but despite the somewhat generic humanoid appearance, I dug the poo poo out of Gipsy's design details. All the moving parts, the exposed machinery, the swagger... Don't get me wrong - there's a reason I own a Cherno Alpha figurine, and I would have loved to see both it and Typhoon get more non-death-scene screen time, but I also feel like they were also fairly gimmicky.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Characters successfully talk to the giant monsters in the movie Pacific Rim, which you presumably watched.

But which you clearly didn't.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

They drift with a Kaiju, which is like, several steps more profound than talking.

Or several steps less, depending on what ends you wish your "talks" to achieve. In this case, the drift was more an uncontrollable info dump than "talking," which carries an implication of conscious and substantive exchange of information and ideas. And of course, the capacity for that drift it was made possible by slaughtering Kaiju in the first place, so, again, I'm just enjoying SMG once again sperging out over movies he hasn't actually watched.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Not so. Substantive amounts of information go in both directions, and as a result of drifting attempts by the humans each side learns more about the other. It just so happens that the humans use what they learn to launch a nuclear strike.

Well, if you read what I wrote, yes so, and if you'll recall, "it just so happens" that the aliens use what they learn to create bigger monsters better suited to the purpose of killing all humans, because what the humans learn is that these are basically the same aliens from Independence Day.

However, this is only mildly relevant as the original assertions regarded the decision to build robots and engage the enemy instead of trying to converse, which is a false dichotomy because there was no such corresponding capability at the time.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Profundity is not measured by achieving a goal.

The drift was an incredible substantive exchange of information and ideas, and all the more so because it was not limited to consciousness, as talking is.

Right. It was a profound info dump. It was WikiLeaks and the Kaiju emails. Was there substantive information exchanged? Sure. Just with no agency to direct what information came over, what information was sent, what it all meant, etc. Not much of a conversation.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

The original assertion is that the idea of talking to the kaiju is ridiculous. However, talking to the kaiju is what happens in the movie.

Lol, okay.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

That's basically Gipsy Danger v Otachi.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I wish I could get more excited over that.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

That Jaeger jumping like half a mile into the air was...something.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sure. It's not impossible. A few scenes in this trailer already improved quite a bit on the "man-in-suit" Jaegar look by demonstrating more moving parts and an attempt to represent mass that wasn't made in the first one.

Eh, but it still has a long way to go.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Meh. I don't consider it a good sign when my ability to recognize the mechs in a Pacific Rim sequel is limited to "one with the whip," "one with the flail," "girl," and "evil one (because it's black)."

The one with the sword. The one with the two swords. The one with the whip sword. The one with the...

edit: like, why not a spear? A spear would be a great anti-Kaiju weapon.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 6, 2018

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Robot Toy 2.0.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The best part of PR was the entire 10+ minute title sequence. Whatever other flaws the movie may have, and complaints that people may have about them, I haven't met anyone who has seen that sequence and not wanted to see the rest of the movie.The Otachi/Leatherback fight was number two.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Panfilo posted:

That's what I assumed, but then we see other Rangers acting in synch so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Maybe there's some sort of "limited control" mechanism she puts into place - like maybe she can single-handedly control its mobility (I think the only trailer scene where we see her piloting it solo it just runs and rolls), but more pilots are needed to bring other capabilities (weapons, targeting, whatever) online.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Good. Super robots should be super, dangit. The first movie pretty much died for me on account of the action being so boring.

You're weird. Well, of course you're weird - you're on these forums. But like, extra weird.

Anyway, this is the first trailer that actually makes me somewhat interested in the movie. But the lack of weight still sucks. A giant million ton robot doing a parkour wall jump off of a skyscraper? Sure, why not.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

There’s a lot of fan speculation on this, I think the best-known one is named “Occam’s Razor” which is an amazing Jaeger name.

Its main attack is going to be asking the Kaiju riddles like the main character from 'Mafia.'

"Wait, wait - before you crush my head and annihilate this city, let me ask you one question: two mothers and two daughters go out for dinner, but they ask only for a table for three - how can this be?"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sazabi posted:

We didn't have a scene in the first movie where they picked up a giant prop. Like the Hugh donut from earth girls are easy. Or a Michellen tire. You know some thing giant by human standards but relatively normal by kaiju Jaeger proportions. Kaiju's making faces after biting giant prop burgers, and Jaeger's getting thrown downtown and sitting up with Tom's Top Hat emporium's signature top hat logo.

We had several such scenes. Gipsy picking up the tanker to use as a sword, already mentioned. Gipsy picking up the fishing boat in the title sequence. Gipsy using cargo containers like rolls of quarters.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Zebulon posted:

Speaking of, Striker Eureka's huge chest mortar thing and Bracer Phoenix's everything kind of suggests that they'd started focusing on ranged combat with mk 5s to try and compensate on how badly Jaegers were getting chumped by category 3 and 4 Kaiju later on. Bracer has its brass-knuckles fist and Striker had its goofy electrical stinger blade things but both were primarily built around huge loving projectile weapons. It's an interesting design detail if intentional. By comparison the mk 6 Jaegers that succeeded them seem to focus a lot more on mobility but are otherwise all over the place.
There's always been a lot of variability to Jaegar armory. Coyote Tango, a Mk I, was basically a giant gently caress-off cannon on legs. I think what you probably have is a natural technological progression, as anti-Kaiju range and projectile weaponry always had the limitation of needing to cauterize wounds or otherwise prevent blood from spraying everywhere. And given that the logical approach to engaging Kaiju is to do it from a distance, I expect as the tech to create 'safe' projectile weapons improves, more Jaegers are built with it in mind. That said, even the Jaegers built around heavy projectile weapons, like Stryker, typically had to be able to hold their own in a melee engagement, as they required an opening to bring the heavy stuff to bear. Stryker Alpha also had brass knuckles in addition to the wrist blades, and was stronger and faster than its predecessors, characteristics without which it would have had trouble ever creating the window it needed to open its chest, and load and launch its missiles. But, really, you look at the fights Stryker Alpha won in PR1, and it effectively won them hand to hand before finishing them (or trying to, before being hit with the EMP) with the missiles.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cythereal posted:

My impression from PR1 was that anti-kaiju projectile weapons are so ponderous (every one we see in PR1 requires a lengthy arming/charge-up time) and kaiju are so agile, the normal process is to beat the kaiju down in melee until it's stunned or disabled, then bring out the big gun and finish it. Not to mention fights seem to usually start in the water where the kaiju can hide and so things typically start at close range anyhow.

Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon were described in supplemental stuff as having powerful projectile weapons as well that we never got to see used - two giant flamethrowers for Cherno (you can see the ports for them glowing red on Cherno's shoulders in the movie), and Typhoon's third arm could turn into a cannon like Gypsy's.

When I dabbled at trying to come up with a tabletop game adaptation of Pacific Rim, I went with that as my assumption, that projectile weapons are hugely powerful but make the jaeger very vulnerable while arming it so you want to stun the kaiju long enough to get an opening to shoot it.
Right, and I think the reason behind them being ponderous are all the considerations they have to take into account. Those are weapons intended to kill Kaiju, so they have to be huge, pack an enormous punch, and do it while not spreading toxic bits of Kaiju insides all over the coastline / downtown.

It's too bad we didn't get to see Crimson Typhoon's plasma cannon, as IIRC it was the next gen version of Gipsy's.

quote:

I assume that's a practical reason why jaegers try to engage kaiju at sea. Cities are terrible for line of sight and it's easy to get ambushed in one if you're trying to snipe a kaiju with long-range weapons.
Well, the practical reason behind intercepting them at sea is so you they don't get to a populated coastal city, first. Much easier to fight big lizards when you don't have to worry about crushing thousands of civilians in the process.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"We're stronger when we work together (and we get our asses kicked when we don't)" was one of the main themes throughout PR1, most obviously with the science team of super analytical Hermann and super creative Newt who could barely stand each other but were way more effective when they put their differences aside and worked together. They didn't really make it super obvious in the rift compatibility gimmick and explicitly show that the individual pilots' specific strengths are combined for greater fighting effectiveness (and didn't go down the "I thought you were an rear end in a top hat who only cared about following the rules but your discipline combined with my bravery makes us an unbeatable team!!" path) but I'm also surprised that they didn't explore possible carry on effects that drifting might have on the pilots' psychological issues outside of the battles, borrowing from each other's life experiences for possible benefits but also potentially making their personal problems worse if they got the wrong co-pilot. There was a whole bunch of potential pathos they could have wrung out of the "You're in my head" gimmick but it feels like they mostly just showed co-pilots shouting encouragement while the other re-experienced traumatic memories and didn't really explore it beyond that.

Edit: I'm certainly no PR1 expert so there might have been some subtle hints and suggestions I'm just not remembering

Interestingly, IIRC, the original story spent significantly more time and focused on the drift and its effects, but virtually all of it was left on the cutting room floor. The monsters and robots were effectively a vehicle for a story about drifting. I don't have a citation for this at hand, but I have a vague recollection of reading that just about a third of the original reel was cut, and most of it was drift stuff.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The thing about PR1 wasn't giant robots punching things. It was the presentation of giant robots punching things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Bistromatic posted:

I did not pay enough attention to say whether it was the same in Uprising or not but i noticed that during closer views all the armour plates on Gipsy Danger jiggle a little bit with every major movement, as if they're mounted on shock absorbers. Which makes a lot of sense if you expect to be punched by godzilla. It's another little thing that adds to the sense of scale and weight.

Yes, and this was the case with all the Jaegers in PR1, and one of the nicer touches of realism that's not nearly as evident in the sequel. It's not even a shock absorber thing, it's simply evidence that the armor plates are not the same piece of metal as what they're mounted to, because any mounting / binding would flex and move under high force. The argument would probably be technological development blah blah, but whatever the rationale, it contributes to the Power Ranger aesthetic in Uprising.

• Locked thread