Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I’m thinking about participating in the big remote duel competition next week with an updated Utopia deck. Any ideas how badly and/or quickly I would lose in today’s meta? Anything particular I should watch out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Charles Bukowski posted:

When's the last time you played competitively? You can get some legit help in the discord fyi.

Ahh like 2009 probably. I’ve been loosely following the new sets and playing some Duel Links here and there so I’m sort of up to speed on the new mechanics. Just not which mechanics would mean a total shutdown if I don’t respond correctly.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'll admit idk much about utopia but if it doesnt have any targeting or effect protection its gonna be difficult to do...anything

It received a ton of protection in recent sets, from what I’ve gathered the scene is very effect heavy now, I wouldn’t have even considered Utopia otherwise. Like lots of decks don’t even run traps at all? Wild.

I think the big decks in my area at least are Tri Brigade, Link Dragon, and Zoodiac. I’m guessing that’ll all be common. It’s hard to get an idea of how these decks all work without seeing them get played much so any general thoughts on how to survive would be appreciated.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Good intel on the Sky Strikers, I’m not seeing many tourney decks being posted so I’m betting people will be doing exactly that and are keeping them secret until then. I’ll def join the discord.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

ungulateman posted:

yes they can dip their toes into the modern metagame by setting nimble momonga and getting OTKed by a ten year old at locals with a deck from the last five years

the god decks are embarrassingly bad and exist solely to bait people who watched the anime into wasting their money

Their plan has worked perfectly on me, but at least nowadays I can walk into a card store with a list and build a simple deck without wasting my time on a single booster. Or rather I could before covid.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I wonder if they’re going to pivot to a similar system as Magic with an official online version that uses all the cards and all the proper rules, and you can pull codes for online cards out of physical structure decks etc.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, well I guess that makes sense then.

It’s taken me a long time to work out the rhythm for this and it depends a bit on the state of the board but yeah typically you would:
Summon Hayate, attack directly, send spell to graveyard
Summon Kagari (be choosey here since you only get one) to retrieve spell from graveyard
Summon Shizuku to pull another spell at the end of the turn.

The idea is to make sure you have widow anchor and a couple other goodies on hand at all times, and minimum 3 spells in the graveyard, so you can keep preventing them from doing anything meaningful. Eventually you’ll have fizzled all their combos and they will surrender.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

When you can pull off Gandora Gigarays you know it’s going to be a good day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Dropping my code: 362659a4