Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I demand we introduce Smogon-style tier systems for decks in YGO.

You guys can go play Tear in Ubers, I wanna go play some weird poo poo down in Underused.

Good news: this already exists. It's called "Kuchen format"

Bad news: turns out its difficult to assess the power level of every card in the game against every other card when you have like 3 volunteers and no useful play data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Syenite posted:

I mean, Smogon tiering is based almost exclusively on usage stats. The more a Pokemon is used, the higher tier it gets restricted to. There's more to it with suspect tests and emergency bans and such, but at it's core it's a simple system.

None of the online sims like dueling book track useage data (they're already in a legally dubious enough situation as is) so without manual assessment every smogon tier will invariably become "ban whatever's popular in Master Duel each month". Decks like tri-brigade or zoodiac that are slightly too weak to compete in MD would run rampant. It's like when MBT decided it would be a good idea to put salamangreat in rotation format and it was almost unbeatable, even with most of its power cards banned.

Smogon works because they have data from the games and their own format is extremely popular, so there's no shortage of data. But in Yu-Gi-Oh, at some point you have to assess every deck individually or you end up with a series of terrible formats that bleed players while you desperately emergency ban cards to save it.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

they want shady posted:

Also, I'm sure this isn't as lol worthy to you as it was for me but I'll still throw it out there, decided to switch the language to my native one (Spanish) just to see how they translated some monster names like Accesscode Talker and it looks like it's hilariously machine translated. They got the more obvious ones right, Dark Magician is "Mago Oscuro" and Blue Eyes is "Dragón Blanco de Ojos Azules." But other, less important things like Slifer got done dirty (Slifer is now "el dragón del cielo" instead of "el dragón celestial," they mean the exact same poo poo but the new one's strictly more literal and clunkier and also not canon to the LatAm dub, which looking at some cards they respect for some and ignore for others).

It did cross my mind that this might have been lifted straight from the spanish (Spain) dub but it's still lol worthy to me that they'd take their cues from there since their dubs are literal to a point where it's extremeley funny. Say, they call Master Roshi from Dragon Ball "Duende Tortuga" (Turtle Elf) since it's technically a very direct and valid translation of his title, Kame Sennin (basically Turtle Hermit, which is literally his title in the the LatAm dub). They also call the Kamehameha "Onda Vital" (lit. Life Wave) while in the LatAm dub we just left that poo poo untransalted (probably because it's impossible to match those syllables with a translation since "Turtle Destruction Wave" doesn't roll off the tongue in any language that I know of.

Anyway, thought I'd throw all that trivia your way since I'm really thankful for all your advice and that's the best I can offer backr ight now since I don't know current Yu-Gi-Oh well at all.

There's no actual official Latin American translation of anything yugioh related despite it theoretically being part of the TCG. As far as I'm aware everything in Spanish or Portuguese is translated from English (not Japanese!) by Konami EU for home markets and then back-ported by Konami NA for Mexico and South America.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Skios posted:

The Swordsoul structure you get is a pretty solid start. You're missing a bunch of the Tenyi stuff, but that's mainly just N/R cards, and a bunch of extra deck staples. I'd focus on getting the 750 gem bundles with varoius hand traps

Looking at the follower codes, it looks like you actually gain more rewards if the new accounts rank up to bronze 4, including gems and all the tenyi cards anyway. I can't tell if its mutual for both players but it seems like it might be? Also multiple people can use one code it seems.

Anyway here's my code for any lurkers: 1690d4c6

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Hmm. I've decide that goat format is good, actually.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Southern Cassowary posted:

my next followup questions were going to be about this, actually. i was pretty okay at magic and hearthstone but ygo seems to be a whole other beast in terms of how much it demands from the player. what are the best sources for learning the meta? what twitch/youtube people are good and not insufferable, what are the best sources for online guides, etc.

Yugioh is a completely different game and community from hearthstone and magic, yeah. There's no "article culture", basically all content is either videos, twitch streams or discord channels, and the discords can be... interesting (pejorative).

In terms of competitive content creators, pretty much your only options that aren't just some rando are Joshua Schmidt and Jesse Kotton, or Garret Schier, and maybe Pak but all of them mainly focus on the TCG not Master Duel. Although there's still more than enough similarity to get something out of them imo, and there's a lot of twitch stream/VOD channel content about Master Duel. I guess you could also try MBT... but if you're looking for someone who isn't insufferable, probably not :v:

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
There's no polite way of saying this, but I don't think MasterDuelMeta's writers (and Dkayed) are very good at deckbuilding. Looking at their latest introduction to Snake-eyes, the writer recommends a pure version playing betrayal - Silvera (lol) and 3 forbidden droplet because "there's slight synergy" (???). The FTK variant is only on 2 triple tac. You know, in case you only want it some of the time.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9CVxHEw2Do
e:
This is an OK primer but doesn't go very indepth for the pure variant combos. Also you can ignore the FK part it's probably the worse version and also not in MD.

If you're looking for MD vods to study this is probably better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NqxniDG7WA

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Absolutely based. Now do Apollousa and Accesscode :)

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The name isn't a joke btw. It's a dogshit card you kind of have to run because you don't have any other searchers for your starters that could take that slot.

I think worrying about generic extra deck monsters in a tier 0 format where the top decks aren't using them is incredibly dumb.

I mean it's dumb in general but doing it now is silly poo poo.

Snake-Eyes entire game plan is making baronne and savage with jet synchron in order to make board breakers useless against them. Only fire king snake-eyes isn't using them, and is consequently much weaker to nibiru, soul release and triple tac.

And I say this with a little disrespect, but I cannot imagine being the sort of person who plays nouvelles but thinks baronne and savage are good game design at any point, regardless of meta.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

I've been playing quite a bit of Runick Chimera after getting Master 1 for dailies and for the event, and it's a lot more fun than I expected. I'm with Joshua Schmidt now. Unlimit all the Runicks

Free all Runicks, ban all floodgates :haibrower:

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Just spent several hours banging my head against the Skill Drain duel trial, trying to build a deck that could win one single game, before I remembered Qliphort exists and instantly went 3-0. I suspect a lot of people were having problems too because half the decks were just DM and BEWD structures, and the other half were all decks I'd tried and failed at myself (normal pendulum, burn, exodia, even a snake-eyes player somehow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Thank god limit 1 is coming back. That and N/R were the only events I think I've actually enjoyed.