Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ancient Gear got another monster that's unnecessary and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I desire Venom in Duel Links, on the basis that it might be a place where they don't suck so much.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Bit late to the discussion and I’m not personally sure of the actual opportunity to make them in real life but it’s terrible that no one suggested Ancient Gear as a deck for your friend, Biff Rockgroin. It’s GX so it’s old school. It’s big dumb beaters who literally turn off spell/trap when they swing, sometimes monster effects. It’s not actually weakened by links because you usually only need one of the fusions a lot of the time anyway. They’re visibly powerful with simple game plans and states.

Also Chaos Giant is the best card in the game hands down. 4500 piercing attack everything beater says hello, and then goodbye. Ancient Gear are the true OTK beatdown Machine Dream Team.

Like, the entire deck screams gently caress this new poo poo I’m just going to beat your face in, and they clown on a lot of meta decks when played well by being very hard to actually stop when they make their move.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Whoever gave me this Avatar, I assume you're in this subforum and I want to thank you.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Julias posted:

Lightsworn and Infernoids are two of the most fun decks to play in Yugioh in my opinion, in part because instead of having pre-determined combos/win-cons that you try to set up, you basically rely on the luck of mills to determine the tools at your disposal that you have to win- sometimes it's a blowout and you curbstomp your opponent, and other times you get an exciting, grindy game.

The only real issue being of course that as they added more and more Lightsworns they became less and less luck reliant. To the point where a current Lightsworn Deck basically always does exactly what it wants to do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Len posted:

I picked up the Switch Legacy of the Duelist on a whim, I've never played yugioh so I'm learning as I go and have just been using story decks. How the hell are you supposed to deal with the AI dropping a 2k+ monster on turn 1?

Also the Discord link in the op is dead

You believe in the heart of the cards. Also which duel is it that is dropping the 2k+ monster?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Len posted:

Bandit Keith kept dropping multiple of his gun dinosaurs and i wasn't able to deal with it. And then yeah heart of the cards got me through

Oh, you convince Pegasus to have Bandit Keith to shoot himself with his own hand in that case, because Bandit Keith is a real scumbag cheater.

I'm pretty sure the actual answer is that you're Joey and so your deck is just unfortunate trash unless you luck into one of his actual combos.

An actual funny thing in the game is the Yugi vs Kaiba duel early on is coded to give you Exodia if you hold out a few turns, but is not coded to do so for the AI Yugi in reverse mode.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I will say all the "fix the game" ideas always feel like they're missing that they'd hurt so many decks that aren't the top meta stuff. Off the top of my head locking into only one type of special summon completely ruins the already garbage Entity stuff, and more relevantly makes D/D/D unplayable garbage. Same with only one extra deck summon a turn.

The reduction of generics is a good thought (although a lot of the real nasty powerhouses are less generic than most think, it's just their requirements are easy for the top decks to do), but what counts as a generic is really really wildly different for each player. For example, nothing in Eldlich is generic, it just happens to be powerful because it's a small part of your total deck whilst being very versatile in it's use.

My personal fix to Yu-gi-oh, along those lines, is in fact to do what Legends of Runeterra does. Which is whilst one player may attack, you can do slow (summon) speed stuff in both turns. In Yu-gi-oh terms, this would mean that if I am the first player to attack i summon/set a monster, play a spell or set a trap then we build the chain and resolve it, then my opponent would during the main phase 1 be able to summon/set a monster, play a spell or set a trap followed by building the chain and resolving it, once both player's perform no action with their priority (pass) then it moves to the battle phase, where I being the player on attack can declare attacks, then we go to main phase 2 which acts the way main phase 1 did with the alternating actions, finally when all players are happy we go to the end phase and swap attacker/defender. This keeps all the current capabilities of cards alive, whilst completely negating the ability to just solitaire into an unbreakable board, forcing a lot more interaction.

My reasonable Konami might actually do it fix to Yu-gi-oh is banning out the problem cards (which they will do they just have no "data" right now to ban with due to a lack of competitions), because the game being fast isn't a problem, it's the board-states that can be achieved that are. Magical Musket is a great example, everything they do is fair and they've got actually interesting interaction, but they're rogue at best because the other decks are not fair if you go second for the most part. Like no joke a lot of the tier 2 decks right now are super fun and interesting, it's just tier 1 that's a nightmare.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 9, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Set rotation would remove all incentive for Konami to do legacy support except in nostalgia products. Which would lead to Yugi and Kaiba being printed every rotation, and they already get the lion’s share of legacy cards (outside Blackwing).

This would be a huge shame because Ancient Gear is still an incredibly fun rogue deck that exists solely off of legacy support nostalgia.

Also power creep would still happen, because the power creep isn’t about selling cards it’s about running out of card designs and needing the new anime to be the coolest thing ever every time. Also I think the ownership of the card game would actually make set rotation impossible anyway. Konami just need to be better about putting things in the banlist, and taking them off.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I would argue that there isn’t an extreme amount of power creep though. If you compare DM to VRAINS sure. But the start of VRAINS had new cards that were powerful and nobody played them because full power True Drafo was an unbeatable deck. The problem is that without real world data Konami refuse to touch the problem outliers, whereas in the past they were relatively quick to slamdunk things like Zoodiac, and which it and Dragon Rulers are still probably way more powerful than the current stuff. I would argue that the other problem is that MtG started with some absurdly busted cards, whereas Yugioh started with a meta where an 1850 ATK 4 star monster was unbeatable.

Ban Verte and ban Halq and you fix half the issues right there, because no Verte means no easy dragoon and no Halq means all those combos are smothered in the crib.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also a big part of why the Duel Links system is the way it is is so they can avoid actually banning cards, because that would look super terrible for a company on a purely digital medium.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Charles Bukowski posted:

Gotta wait 10 turns to play trains? Choo choo.

This is the real problem. It absolutely blows out a number of old decks like Trains and Ancient Gear for no reason to maybe stop the top decks. When there will always be top decks and they will always be boring garbage because of it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

I like Link Evolution, but it's undeniably a low effort cash in, yeah. One thing that's interesting is they're working on a Master Duel style game in the Sevens era. Assuming it's a video game and not a simulator, do you think they're going to come up with a new story, or just pretend Sevens doesn't exist?

It'll be DM Nostalgia game number 85.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

The likely explanation for the dichotomy is probably that the higher ups at Konami still see themselves as a slot machine company and basically give the Duel Links devs carte blanche and all the money they want, so we get passion project stuff like unique animations for every character’s signature monsters.

Meanwhile, they see Legacy of the Duelist et al. as one-and-done whatevers that are considered successful if they make a mild profit and that’s all they need to be.

I’m not frustrated at the game devs, I’m frustrated at KoMoney for having the same obvious, shallow priorities they’ve had for years now.

I mean, it's also that literally they started with signature animations so they have to keep putting them in.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Some Goon posted:

Look to it getting a C&D if Konami is putting out their own.

It already did, it didn't stick.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Straight up the only way to push EDO-Pro out of people's consciousness would be to make every card free on the official simulator as well, or to be like MTG Arena and being incredibly high quality. Neither of which is likely to happen under Konami.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

No other game has a free simulator as in depth and well-crafted as EDO-pro. It will also ironically get cards before the official simulator.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Piracy is probably the most common criminal action globally, and definitely a lot of people do it. Especially if you ask music companies who would very much like everything but paying them money per listen to be piracy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Only in the west.
Other countries still have a lot of piracy. Its why game storefronts in brazil/russia/etc are so deeply discounted, because 'normal' prices are relatively steep there, and definitely not enough to justify the convinience of a storefront.

Also in Australia, where depending on the age bracket Piracy doubled in 2019. It's pretty much just America where the piracy "rate" has gone down. Which is also a bit falsely leading because it was still several billion cases this year, America just has a giant population so them having the highest amount of piracy is still a lower percentage.

Mostly because Australia has poor access to a lot of normal Western media products due to having it's own distribution rights and costs.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Those bits where Longirsu shows up later are after everything resets and he decides to protect the world. He's explicitly Dingirsu (he's also all the other Girsu's at different points in life).

The order is

Yugipedia posted:

"Beckoned by the World Chalice" → "Ningirsu the World Chalice Warrior" → "Longirsu, the Orcust Orchestrator" → "Dingirsu, the Orcust of the Evening Star" → "Girsu, the Orcust Mekk-Knight".

Also it shows him making it on Orcust Crescendo. He presumably shows up later as not a centaur and less gold because the centaur body got broken.

The Avrum order is as follows

Yugipedia posted:

"Chosen by the World Chalice" → "Auram the World Chalice Blademaster" → "Mekk-Knight Avram" → "Crusadia Maximus" → "Crusadia Equimax" → "Mekk-Knight Crusadia Avramax"

Notably, Mekk-Knight Crusadia Avramax is in the World Legacy Cliffhanger art (a terrible translation, it should be climax). This was also all explicitly spelled out in official konami lore books that they sold and were subsequently translated.

None of the crusadias were involved in making Mekk-Knight Morningstar either, that's why it's memories. That's just Lee, remembering a long time ago when she was researching the World Legacies, with her fellow scientists.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 4, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vandar posted:

Is this a bad time to tell you we have an official lore guide for the World Legacy storyline? :v:

https://ygorganization.com/atinytaleoftimeconcerningwarbetweenfriends/

Dingy is gold (or brass, rather) because it's literally made from all of the remaining Orcust.

('Check THIS out!' is one of the dumbest loving changes the TCG has ever made and I am STILL incredibly salty over it. :argh:)

EDIT: MAGMAR! :argh:

BEATEN FOOL!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vandar posted:

I hope your dumb old robots rust away. :argh:

Nothing rusts the Ancient Gears.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Good cards with a gameplan actually describes two of the most recent top-tier decks. DARK Warrior Link and Dragon Link. Also of note is EARTH Machines seems to be seeing success.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Wyrm exists so that they can print dragons without them benefitting from dragon support, also something about them being more like eastern dragons than the traditional yugioh dragon type which is fairly western in origin.

Cyberse exist for show lore reasons, and actually are legitimately way more unique than Wyrms are from Dragons, as they're all creatures who live inside cyberspace/computers.

Also Fish has an identity, just not much modern cards.

The current meta is pretty varied, but by default the goal in Yugioh at meta levels is to win, and you win by having the best deck possible. A meta where we've got 4-6 decks up the top is pretty good, a meta where you've got 1 is terrible.

Honestly a lot of the nostalgia for old yugioh to me reads more like nostalgia for playground yugioh. Where you could just jam whatever with your friends and have a fun time, which you cannot do with simulators or at local game stores as easily. Because trust me, most of the history of Yugioh top decks are some form of unbeatable nonsense. Synchro is where Solitaire gameplay straight up comes from in Yugioh, before it there wasn't near as much.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cyberse are programs, compared to machines being actual robots/mechanical beings and psychics being well, psychic or aliens.

They have actually quite a good desperation between Cyberse and Machine.

Also the whole point of the Toons was that they are riffing on other cards, making them just toon type removes part of the gimmick.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ungulateman posted:

we have snake rain support and it is not pretty, folks.

i think my favourite part is that the entire monster lineup is normal summonable so that you can't use chaos cards to support an archetype that revolves entirely around putting light and dark cards in the graveyard

How so? You can still run the Chaos Monsters which is the big reason to play Chaos, also the deck itself has enough options for getting whatever you need in the grave anyway.

Honestly, as someone who's fiddled with Reptiles since forever because I want Vennominaga to work, this is not a super top tier archetype, but it's gonna be nasty in the right situations. It's got a bunch of removal that gets around all the normal protections for example.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Honestly it’s only fair, Ra has had specific support for ages.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Skeleton Mom posted:

i don't understand why anyone is giving this "leak" so much attention, it seems extremely fake to me. why would konami suddenly start supporting half a dozen alt formats that don't make them money when they could be pushing speed duels or importing rush duels which lets them sell new product? and why would they be doing any sort of promotion of in-person play when the pandemic is as bad as it's ever been?

Because they’re making a new computer app and probably want formats to sell it with?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

girl dick energy posted:

What's the F2P experience like? Doable, or am I going to be transplanting my old Duel Links gacha addiction?

The F2P experience seems mostly fine, for how Gacha Hell the actual card acquisition is.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

I like master duels so i look forward to playing it for a month and then dropping out forever

My favorite archetype is Super Quant and i have yet to see any packs with those cards so thats a little sad

If you craft an ultra or super rare from an archetype it will probably give you the related secret pack unlock and a free pack of it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It’s a historical OCG banlist from last year, I’ve heard April. Which fits rather well with when it was first getting made.

I also doubt the TCG banlist will be implemented.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MegaZeroX posted:

Ideally Konami would just have multiple popular formats. GOAT, Edison, Hat, TOSS, and modern maybe. Of course OCG vs TCG throws a wrench in the historical formats, but one can at least get a simulacrum of it. But given Konami, who knows.

They announced Time Wizard recently, which is basically GOAT and any other arbitrary time and date cut off you could ever want.

I’m gonna be honest I think that as long as Magical Musket can outplay top decks without itself being too meta I’m not too fussed.

Herald of Ultimateness should be forbidden though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

Not familiar with those other formats but yeah hopefully they'll support other formats cause if it's only Modern I imagine this game will not have a long life as the current meta for the game is incredibly unfriendly for new players(not to mention not very fun to either play with or against*)

*or watch for that matter, imagine how awful it would be if any of the animes followed the real card game meta

Arc-V and VRAINS managed to have actual meta decks in them, although they were not necessarily the deck of the protagonist.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cleretic posted:

So what's the biggest gulf in quality people have seen so far between archetypes in a single secret pack? I think for me right now, the cake is being taken by Kozmo sharing one with Gradius.

Venom and Reptilianne.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Magical Musketeer is pretty budget.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

girl dick energy posted:

Best-of-one basically kills certain decks, and lets others get away with jank they absolutely shouldn't.

Edit: On the bright side, at least machines are a bit more viable since they're not instantly turbofucked by sideboarded System Down.

I don't think anyone would be sideboarding System Down anyway, there's much better answers you can sideboard in against most of the machine decks that works on non-machine decks too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

If you want a less standard but still neat graveyard archetype, Ogdoadic is great. But perhaps a bit expensive as the strongest builds require not just its own Ultra Rares, but also some UR Links from other reptile archetypes, and Snake Rain at 3 (which is also a UR).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As an alternative to Dark World, Danger! also involves self discarding and is actually modern.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

Rather than running out of time causing you to lose, maybe just change it so running out of time immediately ends your turn, I mean I'll fully admit this idea is so it would cripple a lot of the modern meta decks that are degenerate nonsense that is not remotely fun to play against

If they do eventually introduce alternative formats to Master Duel, one that would be a fun one is a "simple" format where the card pool is heavily curated to focus on relatively simple playstyles

There's a hidden afk timer of 30 seconds, furthermore, the full 8 minutes is only if you're actually doing stuff anyway as far as I can tell, you don't actually get an 8 minute timer unless you're doing actual card plays even if you're not dinging the 30 second afk surrender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Skios posted:

Yeah, his language was a massive red flag for me. So what's his particular malfunction? Strong opinions on age of consent laws, or insisting that he can use the gamer word?

Assaulting a woman on a plane I believe.