Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So I haven't touched this game physically my whole life, and the only digital versions I played were the DS games. I figured I'd give this a spin (yes, with a Blue-Eyes deck, and yes, I play Blue-Eyes Chaos MAX Dragon). Nine times out of ten, I don't even realise what I'm going up against. I also just sat through an Exodia deck that didn't complete Exodia until they drew the final card of their deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, I'm running two copies of Pre-Preparation of Rites and three copies of Bingo Machine, Go!!!. As for people running Exodia, I guess it's mostly just off of Royal Magical Library and Chicken Game being legal. When I went up against that Exodia deck, the single copy of Ash Blossom I had in my hand to negate their Toon Table of Contents did nothing to slow them down.

~edit: I'm an idiot who didn't realise that Pre-Preparation of Rites can't target Chaos Form. Back to the drawing board.

Skios fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 26, 2022

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The specific Exodia deck I ran into, the one that had to dig all the way to its last card, ran Royal Magic Library, Chicken Game and Pseudo Space, paired with three Toon Table of Contents into a Toon Blue-Eyes, plus a general Blue-Eyes engine (Cards of Consonance, some Blue-Eyes archetype tuners, Trade In).

Anyway, I found that the Sheranui deck was surprisingly easy to build. I took a budget build and tweaked it a bit with a few of the URs I already had (Raigeki, Feather Duster, Ash Blossoms, Maxx "C"). Still get blown out occasionally, but in general I'm enjoying playing it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A question for fellow Master Duel players... there's two structure decks in the shop, basically a mainly XYZ-deck and a mainly Pendulum deck. Would it be worth spending 1500 gems to buy three copies of one of those two decks and blend them together with the staples I already have into something consistent?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
What would be the best deck to do this with? Most of my play experience is on the DS games in the Synchro era. XYZ and Link Summoning seem easy enough to do, but every time I try to read up on Pendulum Summoning my eyes glaze over after about two lines. And that's not even getting into the fact that the Pendulum structure deck apparently has a Synchro Pendulum Monster?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I did notice something just now that I hadn't noticed before - in Master Duel, when you're in solo mode, you can redo the duels with your own decks for extra rewards, usually 200 gems, or other cards, and occasionally an avatar or other cosmetic.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've been playing a lot in solo mode just to learn the lines of the pendulum deck I've built. The few times I took it online, I either misplayed horribly, or vomited out a bunch of monsters and then had my opponent surrender.

Speaking of playing online... it's really annoying to run into someone who is apparently connecting to the internet via a potato. I've had several matches the past few days where I'd spend twenty minutes looking at the lost connection signal on my opponent, with them staying just long enough to make a play every thirty seconds or so, only for the connection to finally collapse and kick me back out to the duel screen. I really wish there was some sort of compensation for having your time wasted like that.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I guess it says something about where I'm currently at on the ladder that I ran into an honest to goodness Chain Burn deck, and a poorly piloted one at that. I was playing my Pendulum Magician deck. I had a fairly standard opener, but missed some gas. I ended on Heavymetalfoes Electrumite and my scales set, with Raigeki and Monster Reborn in hand. I passed the turn to my opponent who, after some thinking, set five trap cards. I thought to myself 'Great, Eldlich' and assumed my turn. However, as soon as I got going my opponent activated Just Desserts to burn me for 1000, following it up by chaining two Poison of the Old Man. After that the chain resolved.

At this point I decided not to go for any fancy plays and just knock my opponent off the board in one go. They didn't draw into any of their three copies of Waboku, Threatening Roar or Thunder of Ruler, so even though I still ended up eating 2500 damage off of a Dimension Wall and another 800 off a Chain Strike chained to that, but I closed out the game via combat damage on my second turn.

On a related note, why would anyone play Magical Cylinder when Dimension Wall is a thing? They're cheaper to craft and don't target. Is there some obscure Magical Cylinder support that I don't know about?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I created a burner account and built myself a Cyber Dragon deck. It feels like a happy medium for me - plenty of combos, and can fairly easily end on an omni-negate, even some mild OTK potential, without having to learn dozens of ten step combos. I still have a lot to learn, especially when Predaplant Verte Anaconda comes into play, but I'm managing.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Well, still plugging away in Gold with my Cyber Dragons deck... and I just lost a game to an opponent who hit my Cyber Dragon Infinity with a Solemn Judgement, then swapped my Cyber Dragon Sieger for their Dark Scorpion Burglars with Creature Swap. After that they created three tokens with Hippo Carnival, rammed each of them into the aforementioned Dark Scorpion Burglars, with each attack resulting in a Jackpot 7 being sent from their deck to the graveyard. Apparently Jackpot 7 is banished immediately, leaving you unable to use Ash Blossom to counter that.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, definitely not mad at all. I'd rather lose to decks like this than sitting around for 20 minutes going second against Drytron and crossing my fingers hoping that they'll brick/misplay to give me a chance. The silly thing is, going back through the replay, the only thing I could have done to stop the combo was not plink away at their Scapegoat tokens.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've been looking at tutorials on YouTube, specifically to see if I can turn my current Pendulum Magician deck into Pendulum Magician FTK/OTK off of Lyrilusc - Independent Nightingale. Unfortunately the only YouTuber I've found so far that was talking about this deck is pretty horrible, declaring every card either 'based' or 'cucked' and constantly talking about how he's going to clap his opponent's cheeks. Are there any good resources on this deck before I take apart my Blue Eyes deck and commit?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Deofuta posted:

Getting used to the chain vs mtg's stack has absolutely caused me to handtrap myself. Fun times

That, and conditions apparently being checked on activation, rather than resolution. I was playing my Pendulum deck against a Blue-Eyes deck. My opponent activated Burst Stream of Destruction (If you control "Blue-Eyes White Dragon": Destroy all monsters your opponent controls. "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" you control cannot attack the turn you activate this card.) - and I thought I could deal with it by destroying their Blue-Eyes White Dragon in response. I was very surprised when it still resolved as normal.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

King of Solomon posted:

If you're talking about Trif, there are much bigger issues than him using that language. Avoid him like the plague.

Yeah, his language was a massive red flag for me. So what's his particular malfunction? Strong opinions on age of consent laws, or insisting that he can use the gamer word?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I have no desire to witness an assault, but thanks for the heads up. Good to see that unironically talking about things being 'cucked' and 'based' continues to have a 100% track record as a red flag.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Touchdown Boy posted:

I am thinking if I do keep enjoying playing I might splash out on the 'deals' for gems, even though I think they are horrific value just so I can crack some packs and get materials to power up my decks.

One tip I can definitely give you is to make a burner account or two before you invest heavily in a new deck. There's guides for the various systems online, but basically with an hour or so of set-up (depending on how fast you can download the 5gb of game data) you'll have a fresh new account with a deluge of gems to spend.

I was thinking of making a True Draco anti-meta deck, basically running six Skill Drain (with The Monarchs Erupt) and a bunch of other floodgates. Since True Draco don't get their own secret pack, it requires quite a lot of crafting even without any URs. So I started a new account, rushed through the tutorials, collected a bunch of bonus gems and went from there.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Honestly, the Legacy Packs feel like a typical free to play game mechanic to keep you hooked, to keep just enough of the itch going as it were. I really wish that you could at least dismantle those cards, my main account has two copies of Unity, which is also an UR, including a foil one.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
It kind of makes sense to me. It's a card that you basically need for any archetype that in any way relies on a field spell as part of its game plan. There's a whole slew of cards in the game that seem to be UR just for being universal, either as staples to build your own gameplan or as answers to opponents.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Speaking of burner accounts, I decided to try out Six Samurai for a bit, as it was an archetype I was still vaguely familiar with from the DS games. So I pulled a list that looked promising and pulled it together, then took it into the single player mode so I'd have a few dry runs under my belt before taking it online. And as I durdled my way through half my deck it began feeling so tedious. Like... I had a general end goal in mind, but the endless looping and the fiddling with Bushido counters just wasn't fun. I'm sure I could take a few hours to sit down and memorize the lines, but after being on the other end of turns like that for so many times I think I'll just stick with Pendulum Magician decks as the most complicated strategy I'll subject my opponent to.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I'm currently working my way up through gold with True Draco control. You definitely get people making the weirdest plays. I went up against someone who activated Maxx "C" in response to my Pot of Duality (which specifically states you can't Special Summon for the rest of your turn). That player eventually surrendered after going into an Accesscode Talker, trying to activate it repeatedly while Skill Drain was up, eventually banishing Accesscode Talker to pay for its own ability, then surrendering.

The deck seems to be doing fairly well in gold. About a third of my games, I'll open up with one or two floodgates and my opponent surrenders immediately. I had a game against some sort of ritual deck that started their turn with a Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands, in response to which I activated Skill Drain. This was followed by Pre-Preparation Rites, to which I responded with Royal Decree. However, if I don't open with enough floodgates to convince my opponent to surrender, the games can get very long and grindy. Long games for True Draco are probably the closest I've gotten to playing a style of control that's similar to Magic: the Gathering, where you shut down your opponent's early threats, then slowly grind out a victory through incremental advantages.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've never really had an issue with hand traps when piloting my True Draco. Of the big three, Maxx "C" and Nibiru are pretty much useless against us, since we special summon one Monster per turn at most. Ash Blossom can kind of sting early on when it hits a Pot card or Card of Demise, but we have so many searching abilities that they can't Ash Blossom everything. Ghost Belle/D.D. Crow are likewise minor annoyances at best, and are generally only really useful against True King's Return. Droll is only a speed bump.

I did recently have a very satisfying moment. I was playing against a Dark Magician deck, and they managed to get off the Spell Card that wipes your whole board if they control a Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl. However, my back row had enough True Draco cards in it that their graveyard effects wiped out their whole board too, while I was still sitting on a full hand of cards to rebuild the following turn from my Monsters' searching effects.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Finally managed to ride my True Draco list into Platinum V. Probably would have done it sooner if the deck wasn't such a grind to play sometimes.

I played the following list:
2x Majesty Maiden, the True Dracocaster
3x Ignis Heat, the True Dracowarrior
3x Dinomight Knight, the True Dracofighter
1x Terraforming
3x Card of Demise
3x Pot of Duality
2x Pot of Desires
1x Dragonic Diagram
3x True Draco Heritage
3x Disciples of the True Dracophoenix
3x Solemn Judgment
1x Imperial Order
3x Skill Drain
3x The Monarchs Erupt
3x True Kings' Return
3x True Draco Apocalypse

Also, it's kind of baffling how many people will just keep activating stuff in the face of floodgates. Not just on summon effects. On my way up tonight I had a player try to activate three different Spell Cards after I had already flipped Imperial Order.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've found this YouTube channel very useful. Both the deck techs and the replays that get posted are clear and concise, with lines of play explained in a way that I can actually follow along.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So far I'm six matches in, and five matches were against decks that seemed to exist to simply burn through life points as quickly as possible. I guess burning yourself down is a valid strategy if you still get 50 medals, but it kind of takes the fun out of the event. I wouldn't be surprised if they heavily cut back the rewards for losing a duel in future events.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
My True Draco deck would definitely make me a one off antagonist whose entire deck is designed to create some sort of really obnoxious board state, interjecting with an increasingly over the top "Not so fast!' whenever the protagonist tries to do something, only to finally lose to some bizarre asspull move that forces me to finally admit that the game is more fun if both players can play their cards.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Zodack posted:

Someone linked a video earlier in the thread about Super Quantums or whichever archetype that led me to that excellent Youtube channel but it seems to be more historical than meta.

I've learned a lot from this channel. Mostly meta-relevant archetypes, and it helps that there's both the standard deck tech videos and replays where he talks through his thought process while playing the deck.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I managed to take the water XYZ deck I built for the event on my work computer all the way up into Platinum V. I'd take credit for this, but as I got higher up in the rankings, about 80% of my victories came from people blindly running out their best monsters while Stealth Kragen was on the field. I've had multiple immediate surrenders after I popped their Cryston Halquifibrax or other powerful starter or boss monster that doesn't have specific protection against Stealth Kragen's effect.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

mandatory lesbian posted:

If you play anything that isnt meta nobody knows what to do, it is hilarious.

Funnily enough, my final match in gold rank was against Traptrix Dogmatika. My opponent opened with a set Monster and two in the back row. I drew a Called by the Grave, so I felt safe running out a Pot of Desires. There was no Ash Blossom so I followed up with Buzzsaw Shark into a Right-Hand Shark from the deck. The Right-Hand Shark ate a Double Trap Hole, so I Special Summoned a Silent Angler from my hand in stead, and made Bahamut Shark. I detached the Angler to summon Toadally Awesome from my Extra Deck... and my opponent activated Nibiru. I pitched a SIlent Sea Nettle from my hand to Negate the Nibiru and set it on my side of the field, and my opponent promptly surrendered.

The match before that was against Dinosaurs, with me going first. I made Stealth Kragen, set Gozen Match and Impermanence and passed the turn. My opponent opened with a Fossil Dig into Souleating Oviraptor, and activated its effect. I chained my set Impermanence, my opponent pitched Miscellaneousaurus, I activated Stealth Kragen in response, targeting the Oviraptor. The chain ended with my opponent pitching a second Miscellaneousaurus, everything resolves, my opponent searches Babycerasaurus... and then promptly surrenders.

Skios fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 24, 2022

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, I run two copies of Gamaciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju for that. Originally I had picked that one over some copies of a lower rarity one just for thematic reasons, but I've ended up popping them with Stealth Kragen Spawn more than once.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, ran into that once, saw a bunch of posts about it on the Reddit, and decided to take a break. Hopefully this is dealt with as swiftly as the suicide decks in the XYZ event were.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Remote duel YCS announced.

Relevant bit:

quote:

Q: What are the Rules for MASTER DUEL Remote Duel Tournaments?
A: This event allows you to use your own device and connect to others remotely for a MASTER DUEL format, Single-Elimination event. Test your Deck builds in a Duel using the latest MASTER DUEL Forbidden and Limited restrictions to compete for MASTER DUEL Prizes (while supplies last)!

Rounds will be played best of three (3) Duels.
Rounds will be 50 minutes long.

Between each Duel, you may use your Side Deck to alter your Deck for the next Duel.

Your Side Deck is every card in your collection.
Any changes can be made to the Deck between Duels of a Match, including the following:
Adding Cards
Subtracting Cards
The Deck must be legal for play (appropriate number of cards in the Main and Side Deck, complies with the Forbidden and Limited list available within the MASTER DUEL app).
If the Duelist believes there is an error or other issue with their Deck, they should contact a Judge immediately.
After you finish preparing your Deck, please notify the judge that you have completed Side Decking and are ready to start your next Duel.
Failure to do this by the 3-minute mark may result in appropriate penalties.
If there are any issues while Side Decking or connecting to the room after confirming you are ready for your next Duel, please notify a judge immediately.
Duelists are required to revert their Deck back to its original Deck prior to the start of each Match in an On-Demand Single-Elimination Public Event. Players must have a MASTER DUEL legal-for-play Deck prior to each played Game/Match.
Some MASTER DUEL Events will require Deck Lists, please be sure to check event information regarding Deck Lists to confirm.

In case of a disconnect, win/loss will be determined by the result given in-game. If the app crashes, or both Duelists disconnect simultaneously and a win is not decided, the Duelists will restart that Duel using the same Decks. Side Decking will not be allowed for that specific Duel.

Instructions on how the competitors can connect to the in-game Tournament Room will be provided once you are seated for the events.

Duelists will need to have the latest MASTER DUEL app installed on their device to participate in Tournaments. The latest version of MASTER DUEL is v1.02.

So apparently Konami decided that rather than program in proper side decking functionality, they're just going to let you use your whole collection as a side deck. I can only imagine the insanity of a best of three card game format where your opponent might whip out a whole new deck game two.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
As has been mentioned in this thread before, Gold is kind of iffy right now, with a lot of people still working to push back to Platinum. Had myself a nice streak tonight though, capped off by having a Drytron player surrender because they couldn't play through my first turn board of Number 4: Stealth Kragen and Gozen Match.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The new solo gate looks like such a good idea on paper. "Hey! Remember all those classic Yu-Gi-Oh cards? Here's all the support we've given them over the years, isn't that cool?" And then in practice they give you the brickiest possible versions of that. That Harpy deck the opponent plays in the fourth duel might as well have been a perfect Drytron build with how useless the loaner deck is against it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I took the Kragen Control deck I ran in the XYZ-event and turned it into 60 card Grass Looks Greener Paleo Frog control. It's my fourth control deck, and this one probably feels the closest to playing M:tG control.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

serefin99 posted:

Why the gently caress is Konami even still censoring cards anyway? Are we really still stuck in the 50s mindset of "If Little Timmy sees an exposed thigh he'll turn into wanton, drug-addicted sex fiend"?

The most gratuitous of this is probably Spy-C-Spy. It's basically a Spot the Difference picture with all the little ways the Japanese art was censored for the western release:

1. Wine bottles on the table removed or swapped with orange juice. 2. Hearts in the eyes of a background character removed. 3. Dress covers up the thigh of the woman in the red dress. 4. Weapon on her thigh invisible. 5. Cleavage made less obvious. 6. Cigar and wine glass removed from the man in the foreground. 7. Woman in the green dress given substantially less cleavage. I'm not even sure if I've got them all, but it serves as a nice summary of all the different things that get removed for the non-Japanese releases.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

FreezingInferno posted:

Four simple words for you:

"except Frog The Jam"

Oh god, that's a whole other kind of work. The original printing of Hundred Eyes Dragon was named Hundred-Eyes Dragon. They changed it because they later realized that it would make the card work with Red-Eyes support cards.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Are there any other TCGs that rely so heavily on card names to define their archetypes? The 'Guardian' especially is silly, because both 'Guardian' and 'Celtic Guardian' are archetypes.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just had a thirteen turn game, with me going first, playing my Kragen Control against their Sky Strikers. Jesus can that game bounce back from an empty field/hand. We both got insanely lucky with top decks too. I was staring down a 5300 attack Access Code Talker on an empty board and an empty hand when I drew my only copy of Lightning Storm. The funny thing is - they could have won if they just beat over one of my two attack position monsters and left the other one on the field until next turn. However, after my Lightning Storm, they had two turns in a row where they topdecked an Impermanence to stop my Buzzsaw Shark from activating. They also turned a topdecked Upstart Goblin into a Pot of Avarice into an almost full recovery. The only annoying thing is that they surrendered at the last possible moment, denying me the satisfaction of beating them properly :colbert:.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
There's a new Weather Painters solo gate. A new icon, but it requires 200 light/dark and 150 fire/water/earth/air orbs to unlock. No new cards and new decks added. There's also been a banner datamnied for a N/R only event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I've been thinking of the upcoming N/R festival, and I'm strongly considering trying some sort of True Draco control deck for it. You lose Skill Drain and the field spell, along with Dinomight Knight, but the core of the engine is entirely available. You can swap Dreiath III for Dinomight Knight. The only gap I can find in the strategy is that I can't find any good Normal or Rare cards to replace the package of draw spells that most True Draco decks run.