Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

PriorMarcus posted:

Multiple great moments in this where they state how something was done only for Edwards to correct them because these guys never have a loving clue what they are talking about.

I kind of have the opposite opinion. They're actually really good for professional amateurs. There've been plenty of times on the couch where they've correctly guessed how something was done, and gotten compliments from the stuntman or the VFX artist. They're not batting a thousand, but they're doing a hell of a lot better than I could. Still, I'm sure professional VFX guys could tear them apart at multiple times. Not what I'm there for, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Lobok posted:

Hm, first thing that's gotten me interested in it!

I don't like animation and have never seen the anime but I really really enjoyed it. Probably one of my favorite shows from last year

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bit of humor there, but I very much recommend One Piece (anime and manga), Oda is a master.

B-Rock452 posted:

I don't like animation and have never seen the anime but I really really enjoyed it. Probably one of my favorite shows from last year

Could always check out the graphic novels! If you enjoy the show, the best bits are on the page and even more where that came from. To anyone in general who hasn't tried the stuff, it's worth a go.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 1, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

trevorreznik posted:

I went nuts for that. Here ya go, not embedded
https://media2.giphy.com/media/v1.Y...g90mK/giphy.gif

Sorry I missed this before, but thank you, this is amazing.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

well why not posted:

MI Fallout has the iconic bathroom fight.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Starting watching Warrior. Hot drat that's some good poo poo. Taslim being the ultimate badass doesn't hurt.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
how bad is land of bad

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Vulture has an article, 100 Fights That Shaped Action Cinema. A much more diverse list than normal for these kinds of articles.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-action-movie-fights-scenes.html

Lots of good fight scenes there.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

dokmo posted:

Vulture has an article, 100 Fights That Shaped Action Cinema. A much more diverse list than normal for these kinds of articles.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-action-movie-fights-scenes.html

Lots of good fight scenes there.

What a great list. I'd forgotten a few of the extremely old fights and quite enjoyed watching the Keaton and Chaplin ones.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just rewatched Mean Streets and i scanned to see if that fight scene was in there and sure enough it is. pretty good list, though not enough kung fu.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 5, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I can't believe I had never given Road House a chance before. What a movie!

The most impressive thing was how well all the bar fights were shot/choreographed. Great work throughout that I absolutely did not expect. And then a surprise extended amount of Jeff Healey to give the fights a lovely soundtrack

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

trevorreznik posted:

The most impressive thing was how well all the bar fights were shot/choreographed. Great work throughout that I absolutely did not expect. And then a surprise extended amount of Jeff Healey to give the fights a lovely soundtrack

Its the best movie ever made

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its the best movie ever made

I had always had a negative opinion on it from the zeitgeist at the time and started looking up reviews. A lot were upset about the bar fights being too choreographed (read: excellent shot and executed) and I got mad and stopped reading.

It even pulled an interesting comparison with Wick 1's ending - how do you keep the narrative tension going with a physically outmatched antagonist.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

trevorreznik posted:

I helps when you have all the actors doing their own fight scenes and then you also have Benny The Jet training them all. I would imagine that Terry Funk probably also helped out a bit with training and choreographing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

Benny the Jet apparently choreographed at lest some of the fight scenes

E; fb

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is Benny in it, too?! Or just choreographing? I gotta watch this.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL, if anybody ITT has never seen Roadhouse, watch it immediately!

Genuinely good action flick, with some very memorable lines.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Roadhouse legit owns. One of those perfectly self-actualised films.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shame about the new one

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Lobok posted:

Is Benny in it, too?! Or just choreographing? I gotta watch this.

He is but I think he is just a random henchman who gets kicked in the head.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Roadhouse kicks rear end

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah I just watched Roadhouse and above all, it's incredibly charming. I was completely blindsided by Kevin Thighe not being evil though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Roadhouse does indeed rule. The stupidest loving premise ever for a movie just played completely sincerely and well by a cast that's much better than it needed to be. Swayze is the key. Someone in thise thread or another described him as a warrior poet and that really does nail his vibe. A dude who is the ultimate badass but has a lot more going on, who a thinker and feeler, who's in touch with his emotions, aware of them and stronger for it. There's a cool little touch when he fires the big bouncer. The big guy gets in his face and tries to get a rise out of him. Swayze doesn't take the bait, but he also doesn't break eye contact and doesn't look away till the guy is out of arm's reach. It's a character who's entirely concerned with the practical side of being a badass and not with the posturing.

And yeah, it's a shame the remake is probably going to be loving terrible.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

It's like people have already forgotten about Road House 2: Last Call.

Because they should, it's terrible. Although it does have surprisingly adequate action scenes, courtesy of JJ Perry and some other 87eleven people like Sam Hargrave and Larnell Stovall.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It must have been in the last round of Roadhouse Appreciation where someone mentioned that Benny the Jet did choreography for the fights but only had a very small role and just kinda got kicked in the head in one scene and disappeared.

And it's kinda weird, I saw him in one scene walking with other henchmen but didn't see him show up again after that, fight scene or otherwise.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Roadhouse proves that Sam Elliott’s awesome hair gene isn’t limited to just his mustache. What a mane

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I haven’t seen a particularly bad review of the new Road House yet, they all seem to think at the least that it’s dumb fun. Mild spoilers:

”Everything about this iteration of “Road House” is ridiculous, from the assertion that Dalton is so muscular that full-on stabbings can’t hurt him (only his guilt about being too much of an alpha male can do that) to the implication that the Florida Keys are some modern version of 1800s Australia where all of our most unhinged criminals run wild. And that’s before we even get to the sheriff who introduces himself as “Big Dick,” the unlikely partnership between Gyllenhaal and a crocodile, and the fact that Conor McGregor plays a criminal who spends his first scene walking down the street fully naked for no apparent reason.”

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just caught a big screen screening of Street Fighter and it was the first time i noticed Benny the Jet's in that too.

Road House rules, for a long time based on its reputation i thought it'd be ironically good or so-bad-it's-good but it's actually just genuinely good.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'd forgotten about this interview with Benny Urquidez re: Road House. It's not a great recap for the first bit when Benny keeps repeating himself, but it's still interesting to hear how Swayze struggled with the timing until using music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-dZJh8tZ8k&t=1818s

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 12, 2024

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I met Urquidez a few years back. Got to do a kickboxing seminar with him and he is a remarkable dude. The closest thing you get to actually meeting Yoda.

morestuff posted:

I haven’t seen a particularly bad review of the new Road House yet, they all seem to think at the least that it’s dumb fun. Mild spoilers:

This sounds more in the 'trying hard to be ridiculous, 80s style'

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Snowman_McK posted:

I met Urquidez a few years back. Got to do a kickboxing seminar with him and he is a remarkable dude. The closest thing you get to actually meeting Yoda.

This sounds more in the 'trying hard to be ridiculous, 80s style'

The only review of import is 'cgi fights.' Which is a shame because Gyllenhaal and McGregor could absolutely have done something remarkable and the studio just chose not to.

Variety, rollingstone etc all pumped out reviews right away saying the remake is great but I don't see how. It's frustrating since Liman has decades of good action direction.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 13, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

Roadhouse does indeed rule. The stupidest loving premise ever for a movie just played completely sincerely and well by a cast that's much better than it needed to be. Swayze is the key. Someone in thise thread or another described him as a warrior poet and that really does nail his vibe. A dude who is the ultimate badass but has a lot more going on, who a thinker and feeler, who's in touch with his emotions, aware of them and stronger for it. There's a cool little touch when he fires the big bouncer. The big guy gets in his face and tries to get a rise out of him. Swayze doesn't take the bait, but he also doesn't break eye contact and doesn't look away till the guy is out of arm's reach. It's a character who's entirely concerned with the practical side of being a badass and not with the posturing.

I really believe it’s a genuinely good film.

Heck I’m watching it again right now just because of the last few posts itt. It’s one of those flicks I just don’t get bored of.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Watched it this week, partly because I had nothing better to do, and the thread was recommending it heartily. Very good overall. Even if felt like it was dragging its feet a bit in the middle when it remembered there should be a plot.
Not to mention very 80's hair at times.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I really like this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3AnbGoxzB0

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Holy poo poo this is amazing. Kickin rad soundtrack too

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

that's awesome

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

One Percenter AKA One Percent Warrior dropped on blu ray and some streaming. Stars Tak Sakaguchi with Kensuke Sonomura as action director. I can't imagine how it could not be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqs7KeEFoes

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1768344388902556054?s=20

no information about the premise but Ke Huy Quan in an 87Whatever movie directed by another stunt guy sounds promising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One Percenter looks great! Been a while since I've seen ol' Tak. With Love sounds cool