Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Movie was alright but did anyone else find the one shot sequence in Extraction pretty awful? It was just the most painfully obvious digital seams every 10 seconds and it completely took me out of the illusion for almost the entire sequence. It barely felt like it had any compositional cohesion other than "camera must be here to make the next digital transition".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I thought Greyhound was pretty solid.

I went in knowing its basically just a 90min CGI WW2 Naval simulation and found myself thoroughly entertained. I love that subject of history so it was cool kind of getting a fly on the wall experience of just a big naval battle play by play.

I thought the VFX were pretty good too? Not sure why that was a common complaint with critics.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Got my hands on an insanely rare copy of Jackie Chans "Magnificent Bodyguards" from 1978 in 3D. First native 3D film shot in Hong Kong and only ever existed on the 1984 laserdisc but someone from a 3D enthusiast group got a copy, ripped it and swapped in the English dub from the DVD.

The quality isnt the greatest, but it is wild seeing this.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Narzack posted:

How was it? I don't believe I've ever seen it. Does it predate Half a Loaf of Kung Fu?

Yes it does. Its not the greatest, but has some hilariously quirky choreography to take advantage of the 3D. Probably the worst of those 5 or 6 that came out that year. Jackie Chan even said he didnt like it because the director was very controlling.

The quality of the 3D laserdisc rip is pretty bad so it felt more like watching a museum archival film, but it was still quite a unique experience and a rare peak at a pioneering technical moment in Hong Kong cinema.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

brocked posted:

Wow, I watched Infinite tonight and it was intensely bad.
My favorite part is that the bad guy wants to stop being reincarnated and decides he'll destroy all life to do so. He also has a super gun that stops you from reincarnating. Not a single word about how these two ideas can be brought together? Oh, he gets perfunctorily killed with it.

I threw it on out of morbid curiosity and spent nearly the entire movie jaw agape at how much money and effort was put into trying to make this absolutely rediculous movie seem so loving cool and slick when it was anything but.

Theres a comically delusional confidence to the entire movie that could have made for a great "so bad its good" movie but unfortunately Antoine Fuqua is at least competent enough of a director and it had enough money behind it that its just aggressively lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Monkey Man floored me. What an incredible fuckin action movie. Maybe not as much as some would expect or want, but when it happened it mattered and it was about as intense as it could be.

Immaculate vibes, incredible cinematography and soundtrack. Id definitely put it up there with the greats.