Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shageletic posted:

goddamn sally field was a stone cold fox in Smokey and the Bandit

Very much so, and her chemistry with Burt has the nice 70s sarcasm and one-upsmanship without a lot of the meanness that usually comes with that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dokmo posted:

Where did you find it? I've been looking for a while.

I purchased it from vinegar syndrome

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Very much so, and her chemistry with Burt has the nice 70s sarcasm and one-upsmanship without a lot of the meanness that usually comes with that stuff.

Yeah, they worked really well together I thought

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of VS, I just saw Surf II and it was far-out, daddy-o.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of VS, I just saw Surf II and it was far-out, daddy-o.

I liked it for the most part. A couple bad jokes toward the end soured me a bit on it though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
i don't think this is parody, but sometimes you can't be sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJJzbHhf8pI

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I saw The Tomorrow War, the big swing at Action Blockbuster that Amazon just took. My verdict: low end of mediocre. Let me discuss why. I'm going to sound super-negative on the movie but it's competently made and decently shot, it just isn't anything worth seeking out and will be forgotten in a few years.

First of all I think it's important that reviewers "show their hand", as it were, when it comes to mindset, so: I freely admit that the title of the flick is too close to "The Forever War" and I kept drawing comparisons to it. The Forever War is a dear book to me, and although I re-read it a couple of years ago and it wasn't the masterpiece I remembered, it's still extremely good and it hits hard. This movie - well it just doesn't hit hard. In any capacity.

If you don't know the plot, it's very simple: a handful of people come through a time portal, announce that they're from 30 years in the future where humanity is losing a war against aliens, and then somehow get the entire world to agree to draft present-day humans to be sent through the time portal to fight the war in the future. After 7 days, if they're still alive, the present-day human come back and can resume their lives. Less than 30% do. The main character, of course, gets drafted - and we follow him through his experiences over that 7 days.

This is a very interesting premise that was, quite simply, not done justice at all.

The first issue is the writing. The dialogue is not great. When I can tell you what the next line the character is going to say 50%+ of the time, that's cliché dialogue. This movie is rife with it. In addition to speaking banalities, the characters also never behaved as though they were real people. They make bizarre choices on when to withhold information from each other, when to change their mind, when to do just about anything. As a viewer I was constantly asking "wait, why are you doing this?" and "you seriously didn't figure this out yet?" and so on. So this meant all their emotional connections didn't work for me either because it felt artificial and unsupported. Folks, I'm a big softie, and if I'm just kinda sitting through the brave dad saying goodbye to his little girl, then there is a disconnect between me and the movie.

Certain movies have plots where the machinery is very visible on the screen. This is one of them. You can see the plot structure getting set up as you watch. If a character introduces themselves and says their profession, it is a given that their profession will be utilized in the course of the film. It's one of those movies where you say to yourself "ah I see, so right when they do <X>, then <Y> will happen" and yes, that's exactly what happens. Zero surprises, zero subtlety. I can't imagine the few "twists" in this movie will come as a surprise to anyone (but if they do, congratulations! This probably landed a lot better with you then me).

Some of this is the performance. I like Chris Pratt as a performer just fine, so I don't know what happened here. He does very little (beyond one really good scene where he's forced to become a soldier). His relationship with his daughter is either making big eyes at her while he spouts encouragement or staring into the middle distance while apologizing. Sam Richardson is in this and he does great (as always) but he's honestly discarded for less interesting stuff and his few moments of pathos are glossed over in around 5 seconds. Great character actors and interesting-looking secondary characters are introduced and then back-burnered or discarded. Very frustrating.

I'm going to talk a bit about this movie's action scenes, there are some spoilers. First of all, I love love love the design of the alien enemy, the WhiteSpikes. They are absolutely bitchin' and deadly looking and could have come from a 16-year old metalhead's notebook. However, this movie has some of the dullest action choreography ever that just sucked the excitement out of me. No joke: the actual weapons and tactics employed made me suspect that the movie had an actual twist of some kind where the draftees were being deliberately sacrificed because the aliens got control of the military or whatever. No, there's no twist - it's just really stupid and chaotic to the point that you feel that the present-day soldiers are being sabotaged with pea-shooters and meat-grinder strategy. The draftees are issues automatic weapons with extended magazines that literally cannot down a single alien even if mag-dumped. They are given no armor and no training. Their future war tactics are: to full-auto their ammo into aliens while relocating. (seriously - this is like 3/4ths of the action - characters shooting at monsters while they take a different position). This is just deadly dull to watch and the film seems to know it, because whenever something needs something to happen to interrupt these boring rear end lead-fests, somebody gets hit by a spike fired by the aliens. Regarding the spikes, they are entirely inconsistent. The spikes absolutely devastate the red shirt characters - literally throwing them through the air or pinning them to cars and walls - but only make the named characters grunt in pain and fall down.

The movie also makes that frequent mistake of showing the alien hordes as insanely tough, fast, and deadly, and then making them slow and vulnerable when the main characters need to do something to them. I know this sounds like nitpicking, but if I see Chris Pratt wrestling with an alien tentacle that literally 30 seconds ago easily picked up a fully armed and armored soldier and threw them against the wall like a doll, it takes me out of the movie. When the aliens move around like meth'd up houseflies and shrug off or dodge literally hundreds of rounds of bullets, then suddenly decide to stand there while somebody puts a knife in their head, that takes me out of the movie. They also do that awful thing where they shoot the live action elements on empty sets and then add the CGI creatures in later, and this always looks bad and like the characters are fighting the air. Because they are. I really do hate this, and there's no reason to show three thousand aliens coming over the horizon when the movie has clearly established that, like, 5 of them are easily enough to wreck an entire company of troops. It doesn't raise the stakes, it just feels like overkill.

I want to give a pretty big spoiler here but I feel it merits mentioning: the last third of this movie was freakin' nuts to me. It felt like an extended epilogue instead of the final act. Admittedly it was nice to see all those plot coupons that got picked up in the first act redeemed in the end, but jeez. Forester escaping back to the present with a solution for the war was a natural stopping point in the plot, but instead the movie spends almost another hour becoming a mystery (!?!??) before doing a riff on The Thing and then fizzling out on some family reconcilliation. I commend them for trying something different, but for me it didn't work.

Lastly I want to talk about the visuals: the production design on this movie is incredibly weak and the cinematography is mediocre. I was SHOCKED when Larry Fong's name came up in the end credits - he did Skull Island, and that movie looks like a million bucks. This movie looks like a NBC crime show with a budget. As far as the production design, outside of the WhiteSpikes it's duller than poo poo. 30 years in the future looks exactly like today. The command center could have come from a Bourne movie. There's an exotic environment late in the movie that looks like somebody did Prometheus as a high-end neighborhood haunt. It sucks and was honestly a huge disappointment. Pay somebody to do rad concept art next time, guys.

Well I probably sound a lot more negative on this then I actually am, but I started writing this and just sorta vented my spleen. All I can say is, the Big Three have nothing to worry about from Amazon Studios. Yet.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 2, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wasn't The Tomorrow War originally a Paramount movie that got dumped from theatrical release and Amazon picked up?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Payndz posted:

Wasn't The Tomorrow War originally a Paramount movie that got dumped from theatrical release and Amazon picked up?

Holy cow you're right. They sold it for 200 million. Smart play.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Tomorrow War feels like Aliens mashed up with World War Z mashed up with... Edge of Tomorrow?

It's a total mess and it feels like everyone involved was trying to do their jobs badly apart from the CGI guys, who absolutely knock it out of the park (I had no difficulty believing that these completely animated entities were real physical presences with the actors). Chris Pratt's stated character development is that he learns that spending time with family is the most important thing in the world, but absolutely nothing in his arc across the film actually leads him to that point.

Weirdly this is a time travel film that's put some thought into how it wants its time travel mechanics to work and presents it in a way that was pretty plausible.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I just posted my thoughts in the streaming thread but essentially it's a really really bad movie but the future war parts filled me with such a sense of dread that it's an almost recommend. Like even now I am still thinking about how hopeless they made the fighting seem.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I haven't seen it yet, but one of the problems is that Pratt just isn't a good leading man. I love the hell out of him as Andy in Parks and Rec, and he's decent in Onward(even if it feels like they should have just cast Jack Black), but he's the weakest part of Guardians of the Galaxy. And he's pretty dull in Jurassic World. I think he just has limited range, though when he's in that range, he's stellar.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
He's the weakest MCU lead, isn't he?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I'd say that was actually Hemsworth before they started leaning into his comedic talents.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Pratt needs a part basically written specifically for him that caters to his talents. So when you expect him to inject screen presence and charisma into Sci-Fi Protagonist #756 he's not going to be able to do that.

There's no shame in it, he's just not in that top tier of guys who can do that.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I totally agree. I first saw him in Wanted as the lovely friend, and he definitely stood out to me. And, then, of course as Andy. Hemsworth, though, even if his Thor wasn't terribly interesting had physical presence that carried him. Also, it helped that he wasn't surround by an entire cast of much more interesting characters.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Scott Adkins finally goes on Stuntmen Reacts. Some funny stories from him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYunYyTvFUw

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Wow, I watched Infinite tonight and it was intensely bad.
My favorite part is that the bad guy wants to stop being reincarnated and decides he'll destroy all life to do so. He also has a super gun that stops you from reincarnating. Not a single word about how these two ideas can be brought together? Oh, he gets perfunctorily killed with it.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Watched Full Contact (Chow Yun-Fat), and it's a good movie, but I had both the English dubbing AND the subtitles on and they really didn't match in a few places. Voiceover calls him Jeffrey, but subtitle calls him Godfrey. I'm going to only turn dubs on, next time I watch it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Watched Full Contact (Chow Yun-Fat), and it's a good movie, but I had both the English dubbing AND the subtitles on and they really didn't match in a few places. Voiceover calls him Jeffrey, but subtitle calls him Godfrey. I'm going to only turn dubs on, next time I watch it.

Good movie. I have the Hong Kong bluray and for the English subs nearly every swear is replaced with "darn", which is kind of amusing for a bit and not unwatchable, but kind of annoying.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Also if anyone is curious about what Chow Yun-Fat would look like with a Patrick Ewing flat top, Full Contact has you covered.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

If the Adkins news wasn't enough

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1414680552108662785

You may remember Zaror from Undisputed III and Savage Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9k_7x9hs7c

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

dokmo posted:

If the Adkins news wasn't enough

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1414680552108662785

You may remember Zaror from Undisputed III and Savage Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9k_7x9hs7c

John Wick is doing what the Expendables failed to do!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Keanu + Donnie Yen vs. Adkins + Zaror would be a dream matchup.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I was not expecting that ending! o_0

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Pillowpants posted:

John Wick is doing what the Expendables failed to do!

It's very pro wrestling, the Wick films are putting together supercards of "holy poo poo I can't wait to see these two people fight."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trying to not look forward to John Wick 4 too much, but they're making it hard.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

It's very pro wrestling, the Wick films are putting together supercards of "holy poo poo I can't wait to see these two people fight."

I Havent felt that way about Pro Wrestling in 20 years :(

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I hope Wick gives Zaror a recognition boost like Mark Decascos got. He has a bunch of interesting things in his filmography.

Kiltro, a cheaply made martial arts flick with good fight scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvDSewGoIH0

Mandrill, a fun James Bond-type action adventure, but with much more kicking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHPxyXeYm10

Redeemer a dour vigilante flick, with lots of martial arts (this fight is particularly good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9YCNCVFUI8

not to mention Undisputed III, with Zaror's great performance as the preening villain Dolor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmOZRugYGOo

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Pillowpants posted:

I Havent felt that way about Pro Wrestling in 20 years :(

You should check out some AEW! Fans have been clamoring for Kenny Omega and Hangman Adam Page to square off in the ring since their tag team broke up over a year ago. It very much reminds me of the "oh poo poo they go Iko Uwais in this, I wonder who he's gonna fight" aspects of martial arts films.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Zaror is definitely another martial artist that's underrated. I'm really quite happy he's involved in the new Wick film and hopefully gets a chance to shine along with Adkins and Yen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I could see Zaror and Adkins being pretty heavily featured along the same lines of Dacascos, Ruhian, and Rahman in John Wick 3, whereas Yen will probably be like the Halle Berry of the movie. He's the big star that comes in for a big set piece fight but as more of a side attraction to the main story.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

brocked posted:

Wow, I watched Infinite tonight and it was intensely bad.
My favorite part is that the bad guy wants to stop being reincarnated and decides he'll destroy all life to do so. He also has a super gun that stops you from reincarnating. Not a single word about how these two ideas can be brought together? Oh, he gets perfunctorily killed with it.

I threw it on out of morbid curiosity and spent nearly the entire movie jaw agape at how much money and effort was put into trying to make this absolutely rediculous movie seem so loving cool and slick when it was anything but.

Theres a comically delusional confidence to the entire movie that could have made for a great "so bad its good" movie but unfortunately Antoine Fuqua is at least competent enough of a director and it had enough money behind it that its just aggressively lame.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wrath of Man was ok, not great but it also isn't really an action movie. It's more of a Heat-type crime thriller with a few action set pieces but the majority of it is Statham giving the evil eye to suspicious dudes.

Anyway it has two main flaws, the first is that it does this thing that I've noticed a lot in recent years where you're introduced to like, an older mentor character and the movie is trying to fool you into trusting him but literally right from minute one you know the guy is bad because of the casting choice. Here it's Holt McCallany, who isn't a household name or anything but he's exactly the type of character actor you hire for this part and it was such an obvious casting that it was an immediate red flag. But then they treat it like a major twist later in the movie that he ends up being the "inside man".

The second flaw is that Scott Eastwood's character feels completely insignificant but yet he's the main end goal of Statham the entire movie. But the movie hardly spends any time on him and his entire personality seems to be "has a scar on is face".

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I just watched Nobody - my god this movie does John Wick almost as good as John wick

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

I just watched Nobody - my god this movie does John Wick almost as good as John wick

It's not as good an action movie as John Wick and, action wise, it peaks after the bus ride, but it's a much better film. It's a more developed version of the "Badass violence as addiction/addict falling off the wagon" formula than Wick or the Equaliser. Bob Odenkirk has had one of the oddest careers. I rewatched it with my wife and loved it. I was a little cold on my first watch which I did alone. It's a film that needs to be watched with someone.

Basebf555 posted:

Wrath of Man was ok, not great but it also isn't really an action movie. It's more of a Heat-type crime thriller with a few action set pieces but the majority of it is Statham giving the evil eye to suspicious dudes.

Anyway it has two main flaws, the first is that it does this thing that I've noticed a lot in recent years where you're introduced to like, an older mentor character and the movie is trying to fool you into trusting him but literally right from minute one you know the guy is bad because of the casting choice. Here it's Holt McCallany, who isn't a household name or anything but he's exactly the type of character actor you hire for this part and it was such an obvious casting that it was an immediate red flag. But then they treat it like a major twist later in the movie that he ends up being the "inside man".

The second flaw is that Scott Eastwood's character feels completely insignificant but yet he's the main end goal of Statham the entire movie. But the movie hardly spends any time on him and his entire personality seems to be "has a scar on is face".

for most of its length, a fairly slow burn revenge film. But then it turns out his plan is just 'wait for stuff to happen.' On the day he simply improvises and does a really bad job, getting everyone else killed. I ended up feeling like the film was wasting my time. And the non linear structure was just wasted.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 16, 2021

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1416432717345009673

Probably for the better to turn it into a couple of movies instead.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
For the weekend, my Letterboxd review of Undefeatable (1993):

Martial artist Kristi Jones (Cynthia Rothrock) takes part in illegal fights to raise college tuition money for her sister Karen (Sunny David). When Karen becomes a victim of a martial arts-knowing rapist and serial killer known as "Stingray" (Don Niam), Kristi sets out for justice, teaming up with cop and martial arts enthusiast Nick DiMarco (John Miller) along the way.

A Hong Kong production by Godfrey Ho, Undefeatable is a hugely enjoyable mixture of elements that are good (the fights) and elements that are bad but in an endearing way (almost everything else). The final fight in particular is a joy. Rothrock herself is pretty good as both a martial artist and an action film actor here, and the whole thing is much better than my previous experience with one of her films.

This one would make a great watch with some friends on a Saturday night.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I watched Hydra last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-gK-BO8iCk

not as action-filled as the trailer implies, especially for a 77 minute movie, but there are some fights, and they are very well performed and filmed, which is usually the case when a stuntman directs a movie (in this case Kensuke Sonomura, whose credits are filled with cool low-budge martial arts stuff like Hard Revenge Milly and Machine Girl and Bushido Man).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rascar Capac posted:

For the weekend, my Letterboxd review of Undefeatable (1993):

Martial artist Kristi Jones (Cynthia Rothrock) takes part in illegal fights to raise college tuition money for her sister Karen (Sunny David). When Karen becomes a victim of a martial arts-knowing rapist and serial killer known as "Stingray" (Don Niam), Kristi sets out for justice, teaming up with cop and martial arts enthusiast Nick DiMarco (John Miller) along the way.

A Hong Kong production by Godfrey Ho, Undefeatable is a hugely enjoyable mixture of elements that are good (the fights) and elements that are bad but in an endearing way (almost everything else). The final fight in particular is a joy. Rothrock herself is pretty good as both a martial artist and an action film actor here, and the whole thing is much better than my previous experience with one of her films.

This one would make a great watch with some friends on a Saturday night.

Absolutely love this flick, the last fight gets posted on YouTube a lot but the whole movie is fun and stupid in its own way. I remember reading in a Godfrey Ho interview how they were blown away they were able to find American dudes who could kick that high in the fights lol