Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Saw MI:6 last night, loved it. The only action scene I would say isn't that great is the gunfight in the tunnels after Cavill's villainy is revealed. It felt incomprehensible, unlike all the other scenes. Probably because of the darkness, but I literally couldn't tell where everyone was in relation to each other. But all other action in the movie ruled.

I really loved how exasperated Cavill was getting as the film went on. He was so frustrated that Ethan just won't give up and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
No thread for it and I don't think it deserves it, so I think it goes here, it's kind of an action movie?

I just saw The Predator and it is a loving disaster. Some people might get some satisfaction out of it, there is some gore, but this is the worst Shane Black film and the worst predator film. Like below the other three and the two AvPs, I'm not kidding.

No real spoilers, but this movie has obviously been hacked to death in the edit. Like, to the point where the climax of the film makes no sense! I'm going to put a actors name in spoilers here Sterling K Brown Don't mouse over that until you see the movie, and I think it's because I blinked at the wrong time, but what the gently caress happened to them? They just, vanish? There's something on the cutting room floor I bet, but it's not in the movie, so make up your own mind.

The action scenes in the movie are terrible, like here is every action scene: Characters fire weapons at things to little effect. The End. Imagine the first predator film, but instead of stalking, and long shots of the jungle for tension, you had the predator standing out in the open just tanking damage. That's this film. Utter dog poo poo. No camera moves, no exciting blocking, just static, made-for-tv level action.

And the new super predator is an ordinary predator, just stretched out. Very innovative design. It's like the OG predator is the Undertaker and the new one is Giant Gonzalez. Bigger sure, but awkward and with limbs too thin so it looks like its going to just fall over. So not as intimidating.

I hear this got reshoots and I really wanna know if the first predator in this film always had the motivation/goal it does in the final edit. Because, it's actions seem contrary to that goal sometimes like they changed it later. Or maybe it's just a stupid story.

Some of the interaction between the cast nearly reaches the level of Shane Black written goods you've probably seen before. But if you want that, just watch Predator, Lethal Weapon, The Long Kiss Goodnight, The Last Boyscout, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Nice Guys etc. You know, actual good films.

Oh, and autism is a super-power and the next stage of evolution. News to me.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Soylent Green posted:

They shoot themselves in the head with the shoulder mounted cannon. During the big shootout when they set the Predator on fire

Agreed though the film was kinda trash. Completely disjointed and disatisfying. I didn’t even realise which Predator was which for a good 15 minutes.

I knew I blinked and missed it. Seems there should have been more fanfare considering how important a character they are.

The final scene gave me some laughs, though probably not intentionally. Who thought that looked good?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I'm actually really curious as to what happened on The Predator. Like, it obviously got hosed with but I want specifics, dammit, we need an autopsy here.

For those who've read the script, the scene with the kiddy fiddler that got cut, did that take place in a park with people walking their dogs? Because that's what I'm guessing, because Olivia Munn's first scene in the film is her in a park getting recruited by some spooks, but the scene just starts, there is no lead in and she doesn't do anything in the scene. Like the things she was supposed to do in the scene (shut down a perv) got cut, so now it's just awkward and weird. An end without a beginning or introduction.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I watched Extraction last night, it was pretty good but I have some thoughts:

1) The "one-take" scene was just alright to me. I don't mind they had to cheat the one-take thing with "hidden" cuts, that they don't really bother to try to hide much (sudden whip-pan out of nowhere! wonder why), there is no way to film such a sequence actually in one take so it's fine. My problem was similar scenes in other films, and I'm thinking of two scenes in Children of Men in particular that use the lack of cutting to create tension and put you in it. The camera in this one floated about so much, and more importantly, kept changing viewpoint character, that you never really settled into a point of view as you are switching from Tyler/Ovi, to Saju, to random cop, to Ovi, to Tyler/Ovi, to Saju...etc etc and it was much the same as if they were cutting between them, just they didn't cut, the camera made a physically impossible move and we were with the new viewpoint.

And the crash/explosion that ends the sequence looks like poo poo. :colbert:

2) The real stand out scene for me was the one not long after where Tyler beats the poo poo out of children. Doesn't kill them but it's so violent, he's just throwing them around and I had a good lol.

3) The white saviour thing. It's come up in a lot of reviews and I have mixed thoughts about it. I mean, it's there for sure, but at least it didn't do the thing where Tyler is the best example of the culture he's visiting. There is never interaction of that kind, he just kills the gently caress out of lots of brown people to save one, it's a bit uncomfortable imo. Especially as he mostly just ganks faceless mooks, who become disposable. Which is unfortunate as it's a white hero killing disposable brown people.

My friend described it to me as "What if John Wick was Call of Duty?" and I think that's pretty accurate. Good action though.

And I've been watching the Ip Man movies and why did nobody tell me Ip Man 2 was just Rocky IV? He even does the speech at the end and all the audience stands and claps because his name was Albert Einstein or whatever.

Good to see Sammo though.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There isn't a white savior narrative. There's an Indian guy too and they both work together and they both get killed. Also the Indian guy is literally as good as the white guy is and fights him to a standstill. And they are literally both doing it for a kid. Whoever is doing that white savior read is doing very poor analysis. "A white guy in a foreign country is the protagonist in an action movie" is not automatically a white savior type. There has to be very specific things.

You're right in that it's not a white savior thing in the Dances with Wolves/Avatar sense, but some are defining white savior as just "white guy saves non-whites and learns a little lesson along the way" which does fit Extraction. I think that is a little broad, it basically fits Temple of Doom as well, or Man on Fire if Denzel was white, or insert action movie here. My reaction was more just how many people Thor murders on his way and by the end I was a little uncomfortable with it. Most of the action takes place in poor regions of Dhaka and there are civilians cowering out of the way. Near the end Hemsworth fires explosives and automatic weapon fire at a checkpoint that has civilian traffic going through it just as a diversion. Being a movie he doesn't get anyone other than bad guys, but it left me with a sour taste. Especially as you can read the "bad guys" as grown up versions of the Farhad kid, not evil but forced into this by the circumstances they grew up in and feel a little bad about the dudes our heroes shoot, knife and blow up.

And I don't think having sidekicks of color changes that, because let's be honest, that's what Saju and Nik are.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I caught The Gray Man on Netflix last night and woof, that's a miss. I'm thinking the Russo bros were talking about streaming and how cinemas are elitist because they kinda knew if this was a traditional theatrical release it would sink without a trace. It's basically a subpar Bourne film, with bad imitation Michael Bay action.

Best thing about the film is the cast, Chris Evans clearly just said gently caress it and went for it, but the action scenes are poor, the only exceptions being the two fight scenes with Dhanush's character. The plane crash and the tram scene could have been done well by better filmmakers, but they are extremely badly filmed here, camera too close and too much movement. It's like they studied Michael Bay's filmmaking and decided to do that, but to be honest, without any of Bay's skill or energy. They even do drone shots here like the ones in AmbuLAnce, but they just pale in comparison. It's just really hard for action this pedestrian to get a pass in the same year we all saw Top Gun: Maverick.

And the story doesn't even pretend to end, just trying to set up sequels I guess, the movie basically just stops rather than climaxing. Hard pass.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Alan Smithee posted:

idk but in FR they say schlanger and i aint never heard an aussie say it but if an aussie says you eat it, can probably figure it out based on context clues

As an Australian I can confirm people have said schlanger, but I also haven't heard it since school 20+ years ago.

It means penis if anyone didn't already know.

My favourite slang from Fury Road is "fang it!", which means floor it/go really fast but some people unfamiliar actually heard a homophobic slur, had to do some explaining to American co-workers that day.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

forest spirit posted:

Anyone check out Day Shift?

I think I'll watch it later, the action I saw in the trailer gave me Upgrade vibes, if Upgrade had more than I think 4 minutes of action in the entire movie and was based around vampires instead of NANOMACHINES

I saw it, action scenes are ... fine I guess but everything else is dire.

Best bit involves Scott Adkins saying "bro" a lot and killing vampires but then he vanishes for the rest of the film. Jamie Foxx still has charm for days but overall, a bit meh.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Most important question about the new Road House.

In it, does pain hurt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
The Fall Guy is out in Australia already and I gave it a watch, and ehhh, to be honest if Hobbs & Shaw didn't exist, this is easily David Leitch's worst movie.

It's not awful mind, but it is less than the sum of it's parts. It's got Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt and ATJ playing an rear end in a top hat and some stunts filmed on actual locations and it just doesn't add up to anything. I'm honestly very surprised at the positive reviews it's gotten.

It's problem is that the through-line is the Gosling/Blunt romance, but for some reason in the story construction, Blunt is kept totally separate from Gosling's "find the movie star" plot for like 80% of the film. So in this action comedy, when Gosling is following leads and having action scenes and, you know, doing the movie, he is doing it with Teresa Palmer, Winston Duke, Stephanie Hsu and a dog, while talking to Blunt on the phone in between car chases, so the chemistry just doesn't work. Usually you'd put your two leads together in the action stuff in your action movie, but not here. I think it's actually intentional as they do a split screen thing early in the film talking about the divide between the characters, but acknowledging the gap doesn't erase it.

But the biggest crime is this is an action movie with real stunts, whose underlying message is that stunt people are the loving coolest and deserve respect and they save the day in the end, that edits and frames the action in such a way that lessens it's impact. The b-roll in the credits of the stunts is better than those same stunts in the movie, I don't understand how they managed that. There is a big car jump at the films climax that is ok in the film, but then it's in the b-roll from a stationary camera a ways back and it looks more impressive because you get the distance of the jump, whereas in the movie with the angles they choose and the editing, it seems shorter and less dangerous.

The movie has a plot and I feel bad for mentioning it, but we spend a lot of time with Gosling trying to find ATJ and I think most viewers will have gotten the gist of what's happening long before it's explained on screen, like it's a bit The Nice Guys (to mention a better Ryan Gosling action/comedy) in that there is a bit of mystery, but it's not at all mysterious and most viewers will have a good sense of the baddies long before it's explained. Maybe it's intentional too, but if you think about it, there is a roughly 0% chance the bad guys scheme would have worked, as they seemed to forget all the holes like the security footage showing Gosling leaving the hotel room was taken before he took the cop back there who found the empty bath tub, which fucks the whole time-line of Gosling's framing and Stephanie Hsu being a big old witness and the car chase across the Sydney Harbour Bridge with all the damage and witnesses , but maybe that was the point, that the evil plan was never going to work and this is just the specific way in which it failed.

Also, Australian police officers do not give Miranda warnings. :colbert: