Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Has anyone seen Re:Born? It stars Tak Sakaguchi (the main dude from Ryuhei Kitamura's Versus) and was directed by that movie's action director, Yoji Shimamura. It came out last year in Japan and did the festival circuit but there's been no word on any kind of distribution as far as I know and I wanna see it :cry:

The trailers aren't the best but the action looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgEMsF-U5U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

BioTech posted:

I don't regret seeing it, Arnie Hammer's smug rear end in a top hat was the best.

"Is that perfume?"

"It's beard oil!"

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxM6vsMNwXs

New trailer for Re:Born. The pen + empty pistol magazine throat shot kill... :vince:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Re:Born is the tits. The writing is awful and the plot is total nonsense but who gives a poo poo, Tak Sakaguchi ghosts like 300 guys in this fucken movie with a gnarly looking karambit, a shovel, a pencil, a pencil launched from a pistol magazine, his fists, several sticks carved into stakes, and other dudes. It's awesome. Highly recommended. It only got a PAL release so I had to import it though. Another highlight is the Japanese voice of Solid Snake/Big Boss, Akio Otsuka, hamming it up for the camera in every scene he's in.

It's like a nonsensical version of The Man From Nowhere with a fraction of the emotional depth and 1000x more bananasness.

He's so good at dodging bullets that at one point he's surrounded by an entire squad pointing guns at him and they all drop their weapons and pull out knives.

At one point he fights a girl who can't be more than 14 or 15 years old and she tries to suicide bomb his rear end and she was played by Tak's real life daughter so that scene must have been a hoot to shoot.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 7, 2018

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Snowman_McK posted:

I cannot wait. Just need a mate to get really drunk with while we watch it. Any suggestions for a drinking game? We had one for John Wick: drink when he reloads, sip a spirit when he switches weapons and finish your drink when he kills someone in close combat.

One drink every time Tak kills a guy so fast you can barely tell what he did.

One drink every time Tak rolls his shoulders back before going on a murder spree.

Finish your drink every time you realize the story is trying to be profound by saying something about the nature or war or what it means to truly be a soldier.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Snowman_McK posted:

It's the MGS adaptation we deserve.

I was gonna say I forgot to mention there's characters with names like Phantom, Ghost, and Abyss Walker.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The only thing that keeps The Killer from being as rewatchable as Hard Boiled to me is just the massive downer of an ending. ;_;

got any sevens posted:

Paycheck is pretty fun and the supporting cast is surprisingly stacked. I cant remember if the fights were very good, but there weeent many either, it was more of a thriller.

This is the only thing I remember about Paycheck:

what the gently caress

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 11, 2018

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't seen Fallout yet, but I don't think anything will top Cruise running out of line on the skyscraper, and the MI theme kicking in as he sprints off in the opposite direction and then springs off the side of the building in the (almost) perfect arc. Such an amazing moment of "what the hell is he up to?" turning to "oooooooh poo poo!" in a split second.

That's Rogue Nation, right? I just saw Fallout (it was great! maybe cut 15 minutes tho. and I'm tired of monologuing villains) and I haven't seen the previous two in a while so I was gonna fire those babies up.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Soldier is such an underappreciated gem. It's that "lord forgive me, I got to go back to tha old me" but as a feature length movie. Kurt Russel kicks rear end. It's got Loreena McKinnet on the soundtrack and it somehow works. He shoots one (1) guy with a rocket launcher for no reason when shooting him would have worked just fine. The villains get got in such a satisfying way. It also has quite possibly the quickest Chekov's Gun, where we see the training montage in the beginning. Teenage Todd shoots through a fake hostage to get to the target behind it, and then like one fucken minute later he shoots an ACTUAL hostage to the target. Why did they even have the setup?? Who cares!

Also there's a bunch of cool references in Todd's service record:

Plissken Patch! MacCready Cross! The BFG!!!

I love Soldier.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Franchescanado posted:

I watched Marked For Death with Steven Seagal, and it's really fun. The main villain, Screwface, is a blast. I'm a sucker for anytime the bad guys--in this case a Jamaican drug cartel--uses voodoo and black magic to stop the hero. Probably my favorite Seagal flick.

My favorite Direct to Video Seagal flick is Belly of the Beast. It's so loving stupid and over the top, it's an absolute blast. He has to go to Thailand to rescue his daughter yada yada, he teams up with an old buddy of his who turned into a Buddhist monk after accidentally murdering a woman during a shootout years earlier. Out of nowhere the villain hires an evil priest (???) to subdue Steven but then his friends from a nearby Buddhist monastery do a...prayer....spirit bomb??? To protect him. It's beautiful.

Here, watch this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaNGJdyt2Ds

This movie is what would happen if Big Trouble In Little China wasn't comedy/satire.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember seeing part of that one run on late night television. Isn't it the one where the final boss turns out to be a white guy in a billowy shirt who he beats in a fencing contest (the guy has a rapier and Seagal has a katana)?

That's a different but also terrible flick Out of Reach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_-MXLG_i-c

I like Belly of the Beast better because it has more laughs per minute. But man, check out that final pose on Seagal in this one.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Wheat Loaf posted:

On Deadly Ground is also the one where he plays slapsies with a guy and manages to smack the racism out of him through his hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq4dhgD07qo

Best scene from On Deadly Ground.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I already love John Wick 3 and this is the only thing I know about it

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I said it before in another thread but you know you're in for a good time with Lockout when the opening scene is just a close up of Guy Pierce's :smug: face and someone gives him a cigarette. He says something snarky, gets punched and his face goes off screen, and when it pops back up the cigarette is comically bent at a stupid angle and he spits it out. I was cracking up.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yo when Ito snaps the box cutter in half with his teeth did he take a few of Iko Uwais' fingers too? I can't tell

What an absolutely bonkers rear end movie.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

NoneMoreNegative posted:

This was a fun movie, but the plot takes the hero and his small squad off into a forest about 3/4 of the way through and the scene goes on too long by about double, I think they shot a bunch of ‘cool’ stuff and then didn’t have the heart to cut any of it.

I would agree with you if I didn't feel like the sequence was constantly trying to one up itself by the minute. He's dodging sniper shots, he gets into a fight with a suicide bomber teenager (fun fact; that's Tak Sakaguchi's daughter!), he pulls out two kamas, he's using sticks, then a collapsible SHOVEL? And THEN he pulls out his super karambit looking death blade?? I enjoyed myself.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Ninja 2 is so much fun. Scott Adkin's Japanese pronunciation is so horrid it veers right into comedy. Plus it has Kane Kosugi! Really great fight sequences and I'm glad the director was smart enough to just let the camera hang back and let Adkins and the rest of the stunt team do their thing.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anyone ever see Sahara? I know it tanked big time but I've always been curious. Also, the main theme by Clint Mansell is an absolute banger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA8xyTfgwo

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Pierre Morel and Oliver Megaton are easily the two worst action directors around today. Neither of them can frame or block or shoot a dialogue scene that well, let alone an action sequence. I still don't know how Megaton didn't just retire after the fence jump in Taken 3. Tak3n.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Zero Dark Loxley

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

mobby_6kl posted:

I had to pause The Night Comes for Us about an hour in because... there was too much action? I dunno if I should just get out of the thread but it felt like int the first half maybe like 10 minutes didn't involve random mooks getting owned and it just kind of blends in all together after a while. Finished the second half and it was fun, but imo there's no reason it had to be two hours long, sometimes less is more.

The writing and story are pretty much garbage but I thought it was worth it for the action, particularly the final fight. I think I rewound it twice. It's on par with Rama vs. Karambit Dude in the Kitchen in The Raid II. I'll agree though, there was no reason for it to be two hours. I didn't have nearly enough meat on its bones to support that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There was a one take fight in BvS? Not Batman vs the goons, right? I remember a lot of cuts but it was shot pretty ok.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The best part of Broken Arrow is John Travolta turning around to face off against a nuclear warhead rocketing towards him and staring it down like some kind of ultimate badass only to get speared by the god drat thing because OF COURSE THAT'S WHAT IS GONNA HAPPEN.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
John tomahawk's an entire assault rifle at a guy in the John Wick 3 trailer and there's TWO dogs. Why even bother releasing more films this year.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
My favorite thing about Equilibrium is the realization that Sean Bean really isn't safe in any loving movie. He's sitting alone in a church reading a book and what happens? He gets shot in the face.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Reminds me of that trend of taking cheery, full-band pop songs and doing an acoustic, moody rendition of them that 'really brings out the hidden depth of the lyrics.'

Lorde's cover of Everybody Wants to Rule The World transmogrifies me into a furious chimpanzee ready to tear someone's face off. There's doing a cover right (Lizzie's rendition of Mother by Danzig or Trent Reznor and Karen O's take on Immigrant Song) and then there's THAT. HHGGRRNGH.

Given your post, what did you think of Drive?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yall heard of the new Nicolas Cage joint Jiu Jitsu? Whatever you think it could be about you're wrong.

https://www.slashfilm.com/jiu-jitsu-movie/

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Snowman_McK posted:

Oh, it totally works the other way. The absolutely miniscule Jeeja Yanin gleefully wielding a grenade launcher was dope.

Her getting absolutely annihilated by the grenade launcher got OOOOOOHs from the crowd I saw it with

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Eric Jacobus kicks rear end. I've been following him since his Stunt People days and Contour, which has some incredible fight choreography to this day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZp8j6xoDeg

Watching this again I dig how fun the camera work and editing is.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narzack posted:

It seems like the best thing to happen for a martial artist's career is to be in a movie with Keanu Reeves. He's such a good dude.

Speaking of which yall ever see the video of Keanu Reeves losing his poo poo when he got to meet Sonny Chiba? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLMELzA6j8

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narzack posted:

Keanu is such a geniune dude, and Sonny still looks pretty good. How old is?

80! Although that vid was during the press junket for JW1 so that was 5 years ago. I've been a Sonny Chiba fan my whole rear end life, I saw The Street Fighter and Karate Kiba when I was super young (and definitely shouldn't have watched them lol).

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narzack posted:

Which is the one on the boat where he pulls a dude's nards off?

The Street Fighter. In the second one he stabs a guy with a gun and in the third he punches a man in the back of the head so hard his eyeballs pop out.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 11, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Basebf555 posted:

Rips is good and also "slaps" is apparently also good. That's what the young people are using these days I guess.

Any piece of art can rip or slap, but only songs can be bops, bangers, or jams.

Face/Off, however, is all of those things.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Snowman_McK posted:

That Face/Off is all resolved with a kick to the balls makes it all the sweeter.

It is a dope movie. Every time I put it on I'm surprised how well it's aged. Time has not been kind to a lot of my childhood favourites, but Face/Off could be released tomorrow and would still look good.

Also, the bald guy is amazing. "Hey, Sean, how's your dead son? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

The part where Travolta interrogates one of the bald dude's cronies always cracks me up.

"Christ, what's that smell??"

"He poo poo his pants."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yeah Re:Born is fucken dope. Absolute silly as poo poo action film. I know lots of people found the plot and talky bits boring but the melodrama of it all kept me pretty entertained. There's a dude named Abyss Walker. That's right alongside Die-Hardman.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Never saw Brotherhood of the Wolf until just today. What an absolute loving blast. Saw the director's cut too, one of those long, immersive films that you just sink in to and let it take you for a ride. So awesome.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narzack posted:

Awesome! I'm all jacked up to rewatch it now. I'll try to get the wife to join in. I looked up the director, and he also did Crying Freeman(Dacascos) and Silent Hill, which I also liked.

His next film is a Corto Maltese adaptation which I am absolutely jazzed for.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Absolutely loving bonkers that they wouldn't just take that part out of the script. George Lucas sucks and always has and has only succeeded because of the people around him. He's the David Cage of movies.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Well I was going to post a cool rear end clip of my favorite moment from Brotherhood of the Wolf but imgur links keep showing up broken. Do they not like SA now??

Anyway The Raid 2 is absolutely not a slow burn, it's chock full of action and even when The Story is happening it's still interesting and worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Why remake a perfect movie?