Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Vatican Miracle Examiner is about two very pretty men who investigate alleged miracles to determine if there is truly no scientific explanation, and in the process solve murders and uncover conspiracies. Our first arc begins with an immaculate conception, which is only the first of many many many things that happen that I don't want to spoil. The show moves fast and doesn't always make sense but goddamnit it doesn't need to, it's really really fun.

The one on the left is Josef Kou Hiraga and he does science, the one on the right is Robert Nicholas and he does old books and poo poo. They have sexual tension.

PV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY3MEZ6pW10

Convenient MAL link. You can watch this on Amazon's Anime Strike thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finally nailed down why this show makes me feel nostalgic: it feels like Kaori Yuki's manga - Count Cain, Godchild, even Angel Sanctuary. Which is to say it's melodramatic, bloody, occasionally nonsensical, but it's a lot of fun?

Once I let go of what I know about the church and just went with it... well. This show makes me happy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

PV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY3MEZ6pW10

Convenient MAL link. You can watch this on Amazon's Anime Strike thing.
Man, I just heard Roberto's first sentence and I went right away into "LANCER! :swoon:" mode.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This anime is legit insane.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This show contains almost nothing accurate about real life catholics and is tone-deaf to the extreme and it's great. :allears:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Is this like... gay anime X-Files? I like X-Files.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Is this like... gay anime X-Files? I like X-Files.

Yes, with religious trappings! I call it vatican xfiles anime when describing it to my friends.

... (It's nowhere near as good as xfiles though, don't expect mulder n' scully)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Plutonis posted:

This anime is legit insane.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i went in expecting it to be a lot more episodic but I am really liking it so far

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
This is definitely one of those shows that goes into "So dumb it's good" territory.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 27, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this show is really dumb, but it's entertaining as hell too

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think this show is secretly brilliant in just how straight-faced it presents its utter madness. When I started watching it as a comedy, it became amazing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Zetsubou-san posted:

i went in expecting it to be a lot more episodic but I am really liking it so far

Yeah, I was definitely expecting a more episodic show from the description and the title. A sort-of simple mystery of the week kinda show but with Catholic imagery to make it a bit different.

I vastly prefer what we've actually gotten so far, though. This is way more ridiculous, over-the-top and magical. :allears:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mystery solved: it was baby hitler and his two headed twin brother freak hitler

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

nazi entrusted with hitler's sperm: you know what would be great? if hitler had two heads!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the secret jewish police killed every hitler they could find, but they did not abort fetus hitler!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

So, um, how did spraying him with hydrochloric acid cause him to burst into flames?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay I am totally on board with this series, it's way better than I could have imagined.

I'm just worried it can't possibly top this arc. Where do you even go from secret Nazi Satanists creating reborn Hitlers? :pwn:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Neeksy posted:

So, um, how did spraying him with hydrochloric acid cause him to burst into flames?

Cause it did!! Jeez

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so uh, is this really not supposed to be a comedy?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes, with religious trappings! I call it vatican xfiles anime when describing it to my friends.

... (It's nowhere near as good as xfiles though, don't expect mulder n' scully)

I think I might call it vatican scooby-doo. Except with more hitlers.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

what even is this show? i can't get a bead on it at all

still pretty entertaining though

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Neeksy posted:

actual miracle!

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

This show contains almost nothing accurate about real life catholics and is tone-deaf to the extreme and it's great. :allears:

Which is a shame as a series about canon lawyers evaluating the lives and miracles of supposed saints could be quite interesting. Still, this is a fun load of nonsense.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so uh, is this really not supposed to be a comedy?

I don't think it's supposed to be a comedy, but it is a million times better if you approach it like a comedy or watch it while high like I did.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's not a straight up comedy but it's definitely not taking itself too seriously. The tone is good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anime of the Season

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It'd be cooler if it turned out McGee was from loving Mossad instead of a made up organization

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Which is a shame as a series about canon lawyers evaluating the lives and miracles of supposed saints could be quite interesting. Still, this is a fun load of nonsense.

Yeah. It took me a while to get over my disappointment that it wasn't actually good or well-researched, because the premise is so great. Catholics are completely wild to read about, so it's a rich topic for cool stories...

Ah well. I'm down for this crazy instead.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I just watched 1-4 and I can't decide if this is so-bad-its-good or just so-bad-its-bad. I like the art, I guess? There were a lot of weird jump cut scenes, especially in the last episode, where I think they suddenly realized they had 4 minutes to introduce not-mossad and have him save the day.

I honestly did not expect :godwin:.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
This show is loving insane.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I love how the murderer was Hitler Jr. who is also the reincarnation of Hitler, because his ideals are a genetic trait, and the "miracle" was the result of Hitler's corpse (which we keep in our secret Nazi Church basement) was used as a Post-Mortem Sperm Donor was the denouement to the first arc. I cannot wait to see what level of batshit insanity we have in store to top that. :allears:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

I love how the murderer was Hitler Jr. who is also the reincarnation of Hitler, because his ideals are a genetic trait, and the "miracle" was the result of Hitler's corpse (which we keep in our secret Nazi Church basement) was used as a Post-Mortem Sperm Donor was the denouement to the first arc. I cannot wait to see what level of batshit insanity we have in store to top that. :allears:
I dunno if becoming the new Hitler was a genetic trait since they had all those shots of the students being brainwashed with VR headsets. But we're also dealing with an absolutely insane show here so god knows

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my only regret is that the two-headed hitler baby, whose heads were hitler and doublehitler, respectively, turned out to not really matter at all.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

You missed that the ideals weren't a genetic trait, but a result of brainwashing. They let the other hitler baby go. gotta be scientifically accurate you know

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

He explicitly had a Hitler gene that "awakened" and turned him into a Hitler. Everyone was brainwashed, yes, but just to be "regular" Nazis.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Plutonis posted:

It'd be cooler if it turned out McGee was from loving Mossad instead of a made up organization

I am almost entirely sure the author does not know what that is much like how his knowledge of Catholicism seems to come entirely from seeing the exorcist one time while drunk

holy poo poo this show

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I think I now have my favourite anime image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
is that the board game equivalent to calvin ball?

• Locked thread