Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taut Lore
Jul 14, 2017
Colored person/people is not racist any more. It used to be racist in a not-meaning-to-be-racist 50s kinda way but now "Person/people of color" (poc) has become the accepted norm

People of color = colored people
Pencil of color = colored pencil
Photo of color = color photo

In fact I hardly ever ask for a pencil of color but when i do the person says "oh you mean a colored pencil? Ooh you do talk funny!"

And for that matter most black people aren't actually black. They're different shades and tones of brown.
Very few actually black people in the world, but if you look like this girl you could correctly call yourself black

Winner of Miss Melanin 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
When you think about it we all have a color

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
What the gently caress is Miss Melanin.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Colored pencils haven't been subject to centuries of horrific racism so that may not be the best analogy anyone ever thought of.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

rear end posted:

What the gently caress is Miss Melanin.

Miss Melanoid is now un-pc.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
it's almost like words have history and connotations above and beyond their dictionary definitions

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

wonder if she got lana kane hands

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
In eastern Europe calling someone black refers to someone from the Caucasus. And yes its racist.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
As a mixed race PoC I prefer the term "person of color" but yes, colored person is also acceptable op

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Taut Lore posted:

:drat:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pikachu posted:

it's almost like words have history and connotations above and beyond their dictionary definitions

No. Don't be daft. Words can't hurt so people need to toughen up.

With the exception of describing things as racist. That is never OK no matter what. You're being a real jerk if you even think it. Don't you know people have feelings?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

FisheyStix posted:

When you think about it we all have a color

Like some people are black and some people are regular color

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Taut Lore posted:

Colored person/people is not racist any more. It used to be racist in a not-meaning-to-be-racist 50s kinda way but now "Person/people of color" (poc) has become the accepted norm

People of color = colored people
Pencil of color = colored pencil
Photo of color = color photo

In fact I hardly ever ask for a pencil of color but when i do the person says "oh you mean a colored pencil? Ooh you do talk funny!"

And for that matter most black people aren't actually black. They're different shades and tones of brown.
Very few actually black people in the world, but if you look like this girl you could correctly call yourself black

She'd be pretty if it were not for the glaringly fake eyebrows.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
shes got some fangs on her drat

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taut Lore posted:

Would!

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Y'know, I came in here ready to argue, but how do you argue with cold, hard logic?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
how does it feel to be racist op?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

they didn't mean it in a racist way amirite op

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Preoptopus posted:

shes got some fangs on her drat

Fangs are sexy.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

She'd be pretty if it were not for the glaringly fake eyebrows.

WOULD NOT BANG

totally would

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

they didn't mean it in a racist way amirite op

It's just descriptive. I don't see a problem.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yesterday's civil term is today's slur.

I'm waiting for pock to catch on as the new derogatory term

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

yo I don't think colored pencils have ever been called that out of hatred but whatever

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

Yesterday's slur is today's slur. What are you getting at? People aren't making up reasons to be "offended" a lot of poo poo is racist because we are a super racist country and have been the whole time.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Rubellavator posted:

A POCs on society.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

...and the pitch! posted:

Yesterday's slur is today's slur.

Also true. Calm down a little bud.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

Also true. Calm down a little bud.

Calmer than you are dude.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The assumption that everyone who disagrees with you is a seething piece of poo poo about to erupt like a volcano made of irrational anger is one of the worst things about online discourse. It provides every disingenuous retard cocksucker with a cop-out that lets them feel like the undisputed debating champion of the world, letting likeminded idiot fuckers point to it and declare "ownage," fostering a polarized and hostile environment for the exchange of ideas where no-one can tell who is making better points because each side is caught up in deriding the other's perceived level of emotional involvement. Obviously this state of affairs will only get worse, never improving, because most people are the same kind of empty-headed, lazy dipshit exemplified by our very own forums user "Rubellavator."

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
If you don't like them "colored people" you could always be like Dan Gilbert and see the world through a more filtered light.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

FlimFlam Imam posted:

If you don't like them "colored people" you could always be like Dan Gilbert and see the world through a more filtered light.

Piss colored filter?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

KomodoWagon posted:

The assumption that everyone who disagrees with you is a seething piece of poo poo about to erupt like a volcano made of irrational anger is one of the worst things about online discourse. It provides every disingenuous retard cocksucker with a cop-out that lets them feel like the undisputed debating champion of the world, letting likeminded idiot fuckers point to it and declare "ownage," fostering a polarized and hostile environment for the exchange of ideas where no-one can tell who is making better points because each side is caught up in deriding the other's perceived level of emotional involvement. Obviously this state of affairs will only get worse, never improving, because most people are the same kind of empty-headed, lazy dipshit exemplified by our very own forums user "Rubellavator."

that's a lot of words and you do make a good point but it's extremely tempting to just reply to this with "nice meltdown" nonetheless

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cease to Hope posted:

that's a lot of words and you do make a good point but it's extremely tempting to just reply to this with "nice meltdown" nonetheless

Ikr lol

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Fog Tripper posted:

Piss colored filter?

kind of, more like the Detroit is all white filter.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

FlimFlam Imam posted:

Ooh, a bunch of racists ruined the phrase. It's so simple.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

KomodoWagon posted:

nice meltdown

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

He kinda jumped down my throat over something I didn't say or imply. It is my presumption that such a person is not calm, however I have been informed that he is calmer than me. So I have lost this forum battle.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It was never my intention to own, I merely wanted him to know that he is among friends.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

...and the pitch! posted:

Yesterday's slur is today's slur. What are you getting at? People aren't making up reasons to be "offended" a lot of poo poo is racist because we are a super racist country and have been the whole time.

In the 60's "black" was bad and "negro" was good.

Language changes all the time. The repurposing of the n word by the african american community into its much softer sounding colloquialism as a term of brotherly affection is evident enough.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Rubellavator posted:

It was never my intention to own, I merely wanted him to know that he is among friends.

Why do you seethe with an all consuming hatred of black people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Twelve Batmans posted:

In the 60's "black" was bad and "negro" was good.

Language changes all the time. The repurposing of the n word by the african american community into its much softer sounding colloquialism as a term of brotherly affection is evident enough.

preemptive reminder you probably don't get to say it

• Locked thread