Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dmboogie posted:

the game starts slow but if you don't get sidelined by MMO Activities the main storyline is literally just, playing through the length of about four JRPGs

this is my favorite sentence of the year. came in under the wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also the thing about mmos is that you can use them to spend time with other people you like

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fallom posted:

this is my favorite sentence of the year. came in under the wire

i dont think 'playing through a single game with the storyline content of about four full games, will take you time comparable to playing through four full games' is that notable a sentiment??

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Do you people not have jobs or something, or is it playing FF14?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it’s the part where you called it “just” four jrpgs

It took me 80 hours of mainlining ARR to get to Heavensward and that’s the part everyone says sucks rear end, so “it only starts slow” is technically true but still an understatement

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 1, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fallom posted:

it’s the part where you called it “just” four jrpgs

It took me 80 hours of mainlining ARR to get to Heavensward and that’s the part everyone says sucks rear end, so “it only starts slow” is technically true but still an understatement

okay yeah i wasnt trying to downplay that it was still a hell of a lot of time, but it's not like people are calling everyone who finished the mass effect trilogy a lunatic (ignoring mass effect 3 jokes)

and tbf i forgot how long it actually took me to beat ARR and i found its writing charming anyways, especially once you get to the post-50 storyline

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will say that as one of the long time people in here preaching anime delenda est I played XIV through Stormblood and while I complained mightily about how anime it was I didn't actually stop playing it and for the most part had a lot of fun. 80 hours sounds a bit long for 2.0 but it definitely isn't short.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mordja posted:

Do you people not have jobs or something, or is it playing FF14?

I'm currently in college, so technically yes

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anyhow it will be 2020 in twenty-five minutes so happy new years everyone, please enjoy video games. I'm going to bed good night

(ps the last game I played this year was resonance of fate and it is real good)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Randallteal posted:

Unfortunately the sane people of Earth will never know how FFXIV stacks up because anyone who plays an MMO for 300+ hours to see a JRPG story told through MMO cutscenes is a lunatic.

Heavensward is also very good though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
As a person who's tried to play a lot of JRPGs and stopped playing them due to not-as-fun gameplay (Rogue Galaxy notwithstanding--I lost my PS2 before I could finish it), God Eater 3 has the best "JRPG story" i've ever played and beaten.

I'm happy with that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I liked God Eater 1's story, GE2 was pretty silly. How does GE3 compare?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

I liked God Eater 1's story, GE2 was pretty silly. How does GE3 compare?

I found GE1 and 2 to be way too anime. I was in it for the gameplay. Beat 1, dropped off of 2.

GE3 is oddly really down to earth, and I found it so easy to sympathize with the characters. Despite their appearance, people act more human and relatable rather than pure anime archetypes. The game works to get you to invest in a specific character and, personally, I went along for it and had a blast.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm on Day 5 of Pathologic 2. Gonna be honest, things aren't looking very good for this town... I have to ask, there ARE bad endings right? Like if I keep pushing through, and things go more and more south, I'll still eventually end up at some kind of credits right?

EDIT: Also I think I kinda got screwed over a little bit on Day 4. The log said I had two patients left to give painkillers to, I had painkillers in my hand, but when I went to inspect them I couldn't do anything more. And I think a direct cause of not treating these two people was more of the town getting sick AND I lost out on funding. But I wasn't allowed to do anything!!!

Heroic Yoshimitsu fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 1, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm on Day 5 of Pathologic 2. Gonna be honest, things aren't looking very good for this town... I have to ask, there ARE bad endings right? Like if I keep pushing through, and things go more and more south, I'll still eventually end up at some kind of credits right?

Yep, there is exactly one way to gently caress yourself and there is a giant red flag around it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Morter posted:

I found GE1 and 2 to be way too anime. I was in it for the gameplay. Beat 1, dropped off of 2.

GE3 is oddly really down to earth, and I found it so easy to sympathize with the characters. Despite their appearance, people act more human and relatable rather than pure anime archetypes. The game works to get you to invest in a specific character and, personally, I went along for it and had a blast.

ge2 was way more anime than ge1 but if you didnt finish, i could see how you might think they're equal :v. Might consider ge3 then but my backlog is way too big now.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

ge2 was way more anime than ge1 but if you didnt finish, i could see how you might think they're equal :v.

I don't even know if they were equal but I think GE1 was just at my tolerance level and GE2 sorta turned me off.

Reminder: the people who made GE3 are Marvelous, maker of the Senran Kagura games

Silentlocke
Feb 13, 2008
I don't post often, but I thought I 'd help out anyone that needs a hand with the winter tasks. Just send me a friend request at Silentlocke and once added you can watch my broadcast (I have it set so any friend can view) and send a smiley and whatnot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tardcore posted:

You can change the portrait if it really bothers you

The portrait did actually just change, but I have no idea why and I don't see a way to change them myself.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

flatluigi posted:

also the thing about mmos is that you can use them to spend time with other people you like

that's right games only come in the flavors of "locked in a room by yourself" or "MMO", nothing else exists

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I don't know if anyone else has played that Chinese Parents game, but really is amusing the hell out of me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
God Eater 3 is really pretty good and I think it has way better gameplay than the previous to boot. I couldn't get far into God Eater 2 out of a combination of plot and because everything just felt really weird and cumbersome to control. God Eater 3 is much more smooth and a very fun experience.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What's a good multiplayer game that doesn't require a good ping? I want to play with a friend across the world but the country I'm in has a pretty bad international connection.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

a7m2 posted:

What's a good multiplayer game that doesn't require a good ping? I want to play with a friend across the world but the country I'm in has a pretty bad international connection.
Turn-based strategy games of any kind would probably be ideal. Maybe also Divinity: Original Sin 2? It has turn-based RPG combat and is fully co-op.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is there a recommended decent headset to use for gaming or is the cheapest/most popular one on Amazon good enough?

It's mainly to keep the volume down so i'm not bothering others, but a mic would presumably be worthwhile to have if i ever play multiplayer games (what with MCC being out now and whatnot).

I've got a webcam/mic but i'm assuming while that's ok for web-conferences it's probably not that great as a mic for gaming due to sound feedback and whatnot?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kin posted:

It's mainly to keep the volume down so i'm not bothering others, but a mic would presumably be worthwhile to have if i ever play multiplayer games (what with MCC being out now and whatnot).
If it's just for gaming, I would recommend getting a decent microphone (you can get some pretty solid ones for under 50$) and whatever earphones you find most pleasant to wear for long periods of time. I personally prefer having audio and mic be separate, it generally means better audio quality on the headphones and you are also easier to understand at different volumes because the microphone is both better quality and not so close to your mouth. I would even consider shelling out for some decent bluetooth headphones, those come at just 40$ for something like Taotronics Sports Headphones and they last for easily 10+ hours of continuous usage. I own a pair myself, they're good. It's really convenient if you want to get up in the middle of a game and still be able to hear what's going on. They can even double as a cheapo headset with audio pickup in a pinch.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 1, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kin posted:

Is there a recommended decent headset to use for gaming or is the cheapest/most popular one on Amazon good enough?

I've got a webcam/mic but i'm assuming while that's ok for web-conferences it's probably not that great as a mic for gaming due to sound feedback and whatnot?

Don't worry, everyone else has a garbage mic online too

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

If it's just for gaming, I would recommend getting a decent microphone (you can get some pretty solid ones for under 50$) and whatever earphones you find most pleasant to wear for long periods of time. I personally prefer having audio and mic be separate, it generally means better audio quality on the headphones and you are also easier to understand at different volumes because the microphone is both better quality and not so close to your mouth. I would even consider shelling out for some decent bluetooth headphones, those come at just 40$ for something like Taotronics Sports Headphones and they last for easily 10+ hours of continuous usage. I own a pair myself, they're good. It's really convenient if you want to get up in the middle of a game and still be able to hear what's going on. They can even double as a cheapo headset with audio pickup in a pinch.

Aha, see this is what i was wondering because it's a 1080p logitech webcam and the audio quality with that is superb already when i'm doing web conferencing and whatnot for work. There's no audio feedback during those either so would it actually be fine for gaming if i'm using touch to talk or whatever?

I've got a pair of bluetooth earbuds already but never thought about connecting them up for gaming.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kin posted:

Aha, see this is what i was wondering because it's a 1080p logitech webcam and the audio quality with that is superb already when i'm doing web conferencing and whatnot for work. There's no audio feedback during those either so would it actually be fine for gaming if i'm using touch to talk or whatever?

I've got a pair of bluetooth earbuds already but never thought about connecting them up for gaming.
Well, if that works for you and you think the audio pickup is fine, then I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use that. All modern operating system support separate input-output devices, so it would be no problem at all to use your webcam mic for input and wear the headphones so that the game audio isn't transmitted, for example. Completely typical setup, a lot of people do this.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

FWIW the HyperX Cloud II is super comfortable, has good sound and a good mic, according to my friends who have listened to me over voice. If you want a good gaming headset for practicality, I know I'm not the only one who digs it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the cloud II's are the only headset i've found that can be worn for any length of time with glasses

still uncomfortable, but it doesn't feel like someone's driving screws into the sides of my head

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, my glasses are one big reason why I distinctly prefer earbuds most of the time. With the type of bass you can get out of them they're often almost as good as bigger headphones these days and I don't care all that much about audio quality in games anyway.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
my life feels empty after finishing Disco Elysium, any games that are similar with great narratives?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

succ posted:

my life feels empty after finishing Disco Elysium, any games that are similar with great narratives?

pathologic 2

kentucky route zero

night in the woods

note that they're "similar" in the sense that they have strong narratives, the gameplay varies wildly

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oxxidation posted:

the cloud II's are the only headset i've found that can be worn for any length of time with glasses

still uncomfortable, but it doesn't feel like someone's driving screws into the sides of my head

This 100%. With other headsets I've felt forced to put on contacts if I'm having long sessions. The Cloud II is just like... Wearing clouds, and it takes a long time for them to even feel a little uncomfortable (long enough that it's a sign I should take a break anyway).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh dang, Parkitect is exactly what I wanted RCT3 to be, I love it

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, if that works for you and you think the audio pickup is fine, then I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use that. All modern operating system support separate input-output devices, so it would be no problem at all to use your webcam mic for input and wear the headphones so that the game audio isn't transmitted, for example. Completely typical setup, a lot of people do this.

Aha, it's spelling it out for me that's twigged my confusion. I'm used to playing with headsets on consoles where it's only the comms audio that's come through the headset rather than the game audio too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kin posted:

Aha, it's spelling it out for me that's twigged my confusion. I'm used to playing with headsets on consoles where it's only the comms audio that's come through the headset rather than the game audio too.
Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, it's possible to set something like that up as well, it just requires more than one output device. I prefer not doing it, because it makes the game audio sound so muffled and may make you miss important audio cues. The standard behaviour for PCs is to put out all audio on the same channel. Consoles just do it differently, I guess, but it's not terribly complicated to set it up either way.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Robocop simulator is out now, still on sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/503180/miniLAW_Ministry_of_Law/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fhqwhgads posted:

I grabbed Production Line with some freebucks and even though I'm not a car person at all this kind of mission-based logistics simulator is really lighting up my lizard brain. What other games are like this that also have this mission-based, competition feel (that aren't Factorio and the Anno series, which I've played)?
Late and I'm about to make a lot of qualifications. Automachef is almost exactly the topology of Production Line. But its more of a mission based puzzler than a capitalist competition and the interface is astoundingly bad so you can probably wishlist it for a deeper sale.

Saw you picked up Big Pharma, if you're in the right mood it is pretty amazing. Its the only game I've written down design proposals to prove products and rate of returns. Its design algebra is a great way to surface input parameters and their resultant outputs in a way I think every spreadsheet based has failed at. Logistics, its not so much interesting though, there's correct and incorrect builds for each processing step to minimize space and no reason to ever deviate from the correct except a couple literal edge cases when you're working near a wall.

If you like the spreadsheet business management parts of Production Line and Big Pharma you might consider branching out to the ur spreadsheet management game, Capitalism 2/Capitalism Lab.

Rise of Industry is also fairly Anno-like.

I found and wishlisted some game called Little Big Workshop while looking for the example game of what not to buy. I haven't played it but looks promising as one of the contenders trying to marry spreadsheet business management with manufacturing design. Otherwise I'm eagerly awaiting Good Company which has been coming out of closed alpha soon for about *looks at wishlist* a year now as another game trying to marry spreadsheet business management games with manufacturing.

E. Comedy option: modded X3. Yes, the spaceship game.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 1, 2020