Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your reaction:
Dun care~
Furi...... Curi??????
Forehead boner
gently caress YEEEEAAAAAAH THE PIIIIIIILLOOOOOOWS B)
View Results

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I'm freaking out over here guys. I'm so thrilled I'm even ignoring the ridiculous cat ear headphones.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhW81Ekacf4

Nathilus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
inc in like 6+ months

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Relin posted:

inc in like 6+ months

I dont care. I just found out and its time to get psyched RIGHT NOW!

WOOOOOOOOO!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It'll be bad, op

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Namtab posted:

It'll be bad, op

Please dont say that. You'll jinx it.

If it turns out to be bad I'm gonna pick up arson as a hobby.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Without Naota it just won't be the same, even if Haruko is in it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nathilus posted:

Please dont say that. You'll jinx it.

You aren't lighting everything on fire already?

You fail to bring proper tribute to Lord Canti.

Anyway, saying it's bad isn't setting off any flags. Now, claiming the opposite, that might.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

It'll be bad, op

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't like that they're bringing the pillows back, for this

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I guess it would be better if they found another, equally good-yet-somewhat-obscure band to rock the soundtrack? But since there's no way of knowing ahead of time how well the music would fit--and the Pillows fit the original FLCL like a glove--I can't blame them for going with the known quantity.

Nathilus posted:

This seems like the wrong inspiration to pick from the first series. Have you considered baseball instead?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anims must burn

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I have to confess... the truth is... I've rewatched FLCL like 6 times over the years since I saw it in high school and I've never really, like, liked it or "got" it the same way other people did. I dunno. I tried to, but I guess it's just not for me, in the end. v:shobon:v

But that being said, I enjoy the animation style and I really respect it for what it is. I'll definitely be checking this out when it airs, but I'm skeptical if it'll be able to recapture that strange, undefinable je-ne-sais-quoi that marked the first one as something truly unique on the anime landscape.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
watching something 6 times through, even if it is just 6 episodes, means you liked it

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The thing is that FLCL wasn't actually about the crazy bullshit, it was about Naoto, so if you don't have an equally strong lead it's just going to be FLCL 2: The Search For More Money. And the odds of telling 2 equally strong coming of age stories in a row are.....not great.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the cat headphones girl and my boy canti all cyber and glowed up is better than anything in flcl 1

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I don't expect new FLCL to fully capture the magic of the original but it's probably gonna at least be an entertaining show

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Srice posted:

I don't like that they're bringing the pillows back, for this

Wrongthink alert.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Mulva posted:

The thing is that FLCL wasn't actually about the crazy bullshit, it was about Naoto, so if you don't have an equally strong lead it's just going to be FLCL 2: The Search For More Money. And the odds of telling 2 equally strong coming of age stories in a row are.....not great.

Agreed completely but a dude can dream right? Just give me this dawg. At least until the show is out and sux and I have to start burning this poo poo to the ground.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Nathilus posted:

Agreed completely but a dude can dream right? Just give me this dawg. At least until the show is out and sux and I have to start burning this poo poo to the ground.

Well like I said, the odds aren't great, but it's not like it's a given they can't. There's no rule or natural law that says that the sequel has to be poo poo.

It's overwhelmingly likely to be poo poo, but there have been surprises before. Keep hope alive!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Mulva posted:

Well like I said, the odds aren't great, but it's not like it's a given they can't. There's no rule or natural law that says that the sequel has to be poo poo.

It's overwhelmingly likely to be poo poo, but there have been surprises before. Keep hope alive!

Thanks mang.

I just dont think i could take another eureka7:2, especially since I liked flcl way more than e7.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

DrSunshine posted:

I have to confess... the truth is... I've rewatched FLCL like 6 times over the years since I saw it in high school and I've never really, like, liked it or "got" it the same way other people did. I dunno. I tried to, but I guess it's just not for me, in the end. v:shobon:v

But that being said, I enjoy the animation style and I really respect it for what it is. I'll definitely be checking this out when it airs, but I'm skeptical if it'll be able to recapture that strange, undefinable je-ne-sais-quoi that marked the first one as something truly unique on the anime landscape.

I hated FLCL when I originally watched it. I thought the great music and animation was utterly wasted on a stupid and nonsensical plot. Admittedly I was younger and dumber but I hated it so much I didn't think I'd ever bother watching it again.

It wasn't until I read this: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/flcl-fooly-cooly-66724 that I finally got it. After reading this I rewatched the show, and on rewatching it all made so much more sense, and I now rate FLCL very highly as an anime. It's the first time that reading about something I watched actually changed my opinion of it.

That said, it's a series that did not/does not need a sequel. Happy if it spawns a great OST at least, but don't have high hopes they'll capture lightning in a bottle twice in row.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 28, 2017

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nathilus posted:

Wrongthink alert.

Nah.

The fact that they're going with a band that is now known very well by the intended audience instead of finding a new obscure band to elevate is p lame and makes me think they're gonna try to coast on that "hey, remember this!?" style of revisiting an old series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Srice posted:

Nah.

The fact that they're going with a band that is now known very well by the intended audience instead of finding a new obscure band to elevate is p lame and makes me think they're gonna try to coast on that "hey, remember this!?" style of revisiting an old series.

Because when you find a band that syncs perfectly with your aesthetic, with a strong appeal to your intended audience, allowing you to maintain continuity with the original while (hopefully) pursuing a new narrative, the obvious thing to do is abandon it all in the hope you can find someone else who can almost give you the same experience.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Because when you find a band that syncs perfectly with your aesthetic, with a strong appeal to your intended audience, allowing you to maintain continuity with the original while (hopefully) pursuing a new narrative, the obvious thing to do is abandon it all in the hope you can find someone else who can almost give you the same experience.

Since there are a bunch of different people involved in this production I'm gonna unironically agree.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Because when you find a band that syncs perfectly with your aesthetic, with a strong appeal to your intended audience, allowing you to maintain continuity with the original while (hopefully) pursuing a new narrative, the obvious thing to do is ignore the fact that nearly 20 years have passed and times have changed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Relin posted:

watching something 6 times through, even if it is just 6 episodes, means you liked it

Well... no. Look, I tried really hard to "get" it because like all my friends really enjoyed it, and I wanted to understand what it was that they liked so much about it. But I found that I was kind of bored and extremely confused every single time!

Soul Reaver posted:

I hated FLCL when I originally watched it. I thought the great music and animation was utterly wasted on a stupid and nonsensical plot. Admittedly I was younger and dumber but I hated it so much I didn't think I'd ever bother watching it again.

It wasn't until I read this: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/flcl-fooly-cooly-66724 that I finally got it. After reading this I rewatched the show, and on rewatching it all made so much more sense, and I now rate FLCL very highly as an anime. It's the first time that reading about something I watched actually changed my opinion of it.

That said, it's a series that did not/does not need a sequel. Happy if it spawns a great OST at least, but don't have high hopes they'll capture lightning in a bottle twice in row.

But this is really helpful! I'll try reading this article and see.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like making a nostalgic sequel to a series about setting aside childish hangups and coming to terms with the fact you won't be young forever is missing the point a little bit

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm going to pee on this sequel series

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

GorfZaplen posted:

I feel like making a nostalgic sequel to a series about setting aside childish hangups and coming to terms with the fact you won't be young forever is missing the point a little bit

I see your point but to bring up a counterargument: MONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEY.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

Or, ya know, maybe they're self aware and that'll be the point?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Or, ya know, maybe they're self aware and that'll be the point?

It being Western funded is what makes me and I suspect many others less than optimistic that this will be the case

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Well... no. Look, I tried really hard to "get" it because like all my friends really enjoyed it, and I wanted to understand what it was that they liked so much about it. But I found that I was kind of bored and extremely confused every single time!

I barely remember it now because I was like 13 when I watched it but I remember feeling very aangsty and like I was enjoying it probably because it was about a shithead dude crushing on an (older?) cool angsty girl who was taller than him and it was very kinetic and fast paced.

I keep meaning to rewatch it one of these days...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

It being Western funded is what makes me and I suspect many others less than optimistic that this will be the case

Other western funded anime includes the first GitS movie and the second season of Big O

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Looking forward to this don't really watch anime much but I'm hoping this will fill the awesome animation and soundtrack shaped hole in my heart Panty and Stocking after it finished.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Other western funded anime includes the first GitS movie and the second season of Big O

Big O S2 is actually an example of what I'm worried about. My concern here is how much power Adult Swim will assume in shaping FLCL 2 creatively. Also I think Big O S2 worked because it reunited much of the original creators and was made within 3 years after the original, while FLCL 2 is nearly 15 years removed and with almost none of the original staff

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Those are the reasons why, I'm not optimistic about this show

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

it's actually guerrilla marketing for a new season of sealab 2021

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

DrSunshine posted:

Cool. Let me know what you think and if it causes anything to go 'click' in your head. Note that they have an article for each episode, not just the first.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If it's Gainax doing it, they're kind of a shell of their former selves and I have no reason to believe they can nail this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
According to ANN it's entirely Production IG (who also worked on the original) and the director of Psycho-Pass.

• Locked thread