Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

i think he means corecrypto, which apple develops

yes this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my bitter bi rival posted:

👏 put 👏 systemd 👏 in 👏 os x 👏

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

my bitter bi rival posted:

👏 put 👏 systemd 👏 in 👏 os x 👏
make macs garbage again

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
linux is not garbage but unfortunately the goalposts moved and once we had linux ready for the desktop everyone started loving with their phones

too bad the firephone died

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yes, "too bad" lol

edit: "once we had Linux ready for the desktop" LOL it's still not ready, dude.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Doc Block posted:

yes, "too bad" lol

edit: "once we had Linux ready for the desktop" LOL it's still not ready, dude.

fake news. very unfair!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol that firefox and ubuntu wasted time and money trying to make mobile oses

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pram posted:

canonical also wasted time on giving ubuntu a feature found in windows: having two separate systems setting menus that don't quite overlap in spec

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pram posted:

HERE

COMES

KDE

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

those phones all look like they came out of a fisher price design factory

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
much like Linux

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

those phones all look like they came out of a fisher price design factory

Linux people are bad at design

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

carry on then posted:

HERE

COMES

KDE

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

HERE

COMES

KDE

lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
is kubuntu still a thing?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

carry on then posted:

HERE

COMES

KDE

nice disgusting looking colours and awkwardly sized icons ripped off from android

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 13, 2017

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

update: Linux is still loving garbage

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"guess what linux desktop environment I'm running on this sick parts-bin phone? :smug:"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I am yearning to emulate the buttery smooth Linux desktop experience on my phone

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Max Facetime posted:

update: Linux is still loving garbage

keep us informed

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

I am yearning to emulate the buttery smooth Linux desktop experience on my phone

just dip an iphone in butter and you'll get a decent emulation of the experience

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I updated my Debian server from wheezy to jessie and it wouldn't boot up anymore. Linux is indeed garbage.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
someone posted that every project run by linux people looks terrible because linux people don't know what a good UI looks like

always true

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
kde put a lot of time and energy into making a tablet-friendly interface and huge, complex sdk that is only usable for desktop widgets and tablet apps. then they found out there is precisely 0 linux-compatible tablet hardware in the wild.

touchscreen laptops are ubiquitous but multitouch support for linux is extremely rare. if the touchscreen works at all, it's a dumb pointer device, suitable for a stylus at best.

i assume they now want a phone port to justify the ridiculous effort poured into the tablet poo poo that never happened. at least linux-compatible phone hardware actually exists i guess....

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

rear end posted:

I updated my Debian server from wheezy to jessie and it wouldn't boot up anymore. Linux is indeed garbage.

Shouldn't have used Debian

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Debian is a side project of the GNAA.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde put a lot of time and energy into making a tablet-friendly interface and huge, complex sdk that is only usable for desktop widgets and tablet apps. then they found out there is precisely 0 linux-compatible tablet hardware in the wild.

touchscreen laptops are ubiquitous but multitouch support for linux is extremely rare. if the touchscreen works at all, it's a dumb pointer device, suitable for a stylus at best.

i assume they now want a phone port to justify the ridiculous effort poured into the tablet poo poo that never happened. at least linux-compatible phone hardware actually exists i guess....

it's simpler than that: it was a technical demo for qt

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

uhm

multitouch is well supported in the linux kernel, it's evdev and (in lesser grade) libinput that doesn't know what to do with multiple inputs

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I won't rest until my phone has wobbly windows

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

r u ready to WALK posted:

I won't rest until my phone has wobbly windows

get a oneplus

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

qhat posted:

Shouldn't have used Debian

You're right, I should've used Ubuntu.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rear end posted:

you're right, i shouldn't have a "server" in my house. but if my assburgers insists, i should've used CentOS

ftfy

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

It's a dedicated server that I'm renting, you retard.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rear end posted:

server that I'm renting

just figured out why you don't have any money to replace your piece of poo poo desktop!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

rear end posted:

You're right, I should've used Ubuntu.

the correct answer is either rhel or centos

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rear end posted:

It's a dedicated server that I'm renting, you retard.

have u heard of this thing called the cloud?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

normal person, looking to leverage cutting edge technologies on the cloud: hm. this VPS service seems pretty good, i get my own virtual machine that comes with any operating system i want and all the admin is handled behind the scenes, and it costs me less than 50 bucks a month. what a bargain!

dumb yospos retard: gonna order myself a $5000 dell blade server and load it up with DeBiAn os. shipping it off to the datacentre now to be installed and let's just hope the developers of my operating system don't push a huge update that breaks everything, otherwise the yospos is gonna hear hell about it.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

qhat posted:

normal person, looking to leverage cutting edge technologies on the cloud: hm. this VPS service seems pretty good, i get my own virtual machine that comes with any operating system i want and all the admin is handled behind the scenes, and it costs me less than 50 bucks a month. what a bargain!

dumb yospos retard: gonna order myself a $5000 dell blade server and load it up with DeBiAn os. shipping it off to the datacentre now to be installed and let's just hope the developers of my operating system don't push a huge update that breaks everything, otherwise the yospos is gonna hear hell about it.

https://www.kimsufi.com/en/servers.xml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qhat posted:

lol

• Locked thread