Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ephraim225 posted:

Of course since it's Oblivion, you could just complete the first part of the Mage Guild questline then enchant yourself enough armor to get 100% Chameleon.

Actually, that's completely un-fun.

Now, what's fun for me is this:

Update 2: Card Games And Robots

So just to add:

- Seifer's junctions and spells go to Selphie by default when you get her
- You mentioned that Quistis card is a one off, and that's mostly true, but most one-of cards can respawn on disc four against either the Queen of Cards, or the CC Club.

Going off memory though, but I'm pretty sure both are true. I farmed a certain card that gives great consumables just because I could a long time ago.

By the way, are you going to show off how great Light Magic Refine is? The most time efficient way to break the game for me is finish Dollet, get Light Magic Refine, sell Occult Fan 1 in library, buy 10 Tents into 100 Curagas, boom your near full health is now critical health but still safe for at least two discs. And each time you get paid you get to add another 100 Curagas if your rank is decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Artelier posted:

So just to add:

- Seifer's junctions and spells go to Selphie by default when you get her
- You mentioned that Quistis card is a one off, and that's mostly true, but most one-of cards can respawn on disc four against either the Queen of Cards, or the CC Club.

Oh good, I was wondering about Seifer's junctions. Thanks.

Artelier posted:

By the way, are you going to show off how great Light Magic Refine is? The most time efficient way to break the game for me is finish Dollet, get Light Magic Refine, sell Occult Fan 1 in library, buy 10 Tents into 100 Curagas, boom your near full health is now critical health but still safe for at least two discs. And each time you get paid you get to add another 100 Curagas if your rank is decent.

The heck? You're stopping at Curagas? Oh man.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Really digging the FF8 playthrough so far. 8 is one of the Final Fantasy games that I never really played, and I've heard about how completely broken it was, but never really seen it done, so I'm looking forward to seeing more. If only Tetra Master cards could be refined into broken items in FF9, then maybe there'd be an excuse to play that awful minigame. (Can FF9 be broken? The closest thing I can think of is just doing every Chocograph you can as soon as possible to get some good stuff. Or just spamming Limit Glove. And apparently in some versions of the game, there's an oversight where you can get to Ipsen's Castle with a chocobo and completely break the plot? I dunno.)

I've got everything recorded for the next episode of Morrowind. I just have to do the commentary and editing, which is, admittedly, 90% of the work. Next time, we'll be getting into enchanting! Spoiler: enchanting is just as broken as alchemy

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ephraim225 posted:

Oh good, I was wondering about Seifer's junctions. Thanks.

The heck? You're stopping at Curagas? Oh man.

Naw, I said most time efficient, since you can just buy those with the magazine or your first pay check. No need to grind cards or whatever, though those of course give even better rewards.

I remember Regen being easy to get (Mesmerise cards give 20) but don't remember best Full Life source...

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Ephraim225 posted:

Of course since it's Oblivion, you could just complete the first part of the Mage Guild questline then enchant yourself enough armor to get 100% Chameleon.

Actually, that's completely un-fun.

Now, what's fun for me is this:

Update 2: Card Games And Robots

Selphie's nunchuks are cool, but nowhere near as cool as Bruce Lee's.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Really digging the FF8 playthrough so far. 8 is one of the Final Fantasy games that I never really played, and I've heard about how completely broken it was, but never really seen it done, so I'm looking forward to seeing more. If only Tetra Master cards could be refined into broken items in FF9, then maybe there'd be an excuse to play that awful minigame. (Can FF9 be broken? The closest thing I can think of is just doing every Chocograph you can as soon as possible to get some good stuff. Or just spamming Limit Glove. And apparently in some versions of the game, there's an oversight where you can get to Ipsen's Castle with a chocobo and completely break the plot? I dunno.)

I dunno much about breaking FF9 since it's more traditional a game than FF8. I know Regen is pretty good since you'll keep regenerating health during long attack animations.

Now that I think about it I bet I could give the DOS Elder Scrolls games a good thrashing sometime too.

Update 3: In Which We Offer Samantha's Soul to Diablos

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Well, today I just proved even I can go overboard with the grinding sometimes.

Update 4: Beowulf would be proud

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
So I have an interesting bug with Morrowind, it's basically an addendum to the intelligence singularity alchemy bug.
If you use alchemy to fortify your speed into the millions then you'll crash the game as soon as you take a step because the game tries to load every cell in a line at once which is way too much memory.
At least that's what happens if you're outside, if you're in an interior cell then you just phase through the walls and into the great blue yonder, and if you keep running for a while things will start to get weird.

So here's the void outside the Balmora Mages' Guild

And here's what happens after running in it for about a minute.

I guess this is caused by little errors in where the character's body parts are positioned that only become noticeable when the coordinate values are really high? Also apparently the head and neck are separate parts in Morrowind.

It just keeps getting better the further you run.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
This thread is great and fun. I don't have much input right now except saying I enjoy both of your runs so far, so keep up the good work!

That morrowind glitch is rad too. As far as I can remember, the game never crashed for me when I had 387698 flight or whatever. I just ran through everything. Maybe I just didn't go high enough in my stat abuse.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Huh. So you do start devolving around warp 10?

I'll be damned.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ephraim225 posted:

Well, today I just proved even I can go overboard with the grinding sometimes.

Update 4: Beowulf would be proud

I am really enjoying these.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I recommend everyone check out IlliterateChild's glitchy walkthrough of Deus Ex. It only covers the New York part of the game but all the glitches are pretty well explained, and the results are often hilarious.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

I am really enjoying these.

I'm glad that someone is. Here's another!

Update 5: FITHOS LUSEC WECOS VINOSEC

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Wow. The heroes bungled that so thoroughly that the Sorceress doesn't even look good for not dying. She just looks not incompetent.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Dragonwagon posted:

I recommend everyone check out IlliterateChild's glitchy walkthrough of Deus Ex. It only covers the New York part of the game but all the glitches are pretty well explained, and the results are often hilarious.

These are pretty neat, especially if you're already familiar with how Deus Ex is *supposed* to go. IC does some pretty goofy stuff with AI manipulation I'd not seen before.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

I'm glad that someone is. Here's another!

Update 5: FITHOS LUSEC WECOS VINOSEC

These are fantastic. I had no idea how far this sort of thing could go.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Sorites posted:

These are fantastic. I had no idea how far this sort of thing could go.

It can only go farther. Disc 3 opens the game up wide.

But I have to do Disc 2 first.

Update 6: Strange Game

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Ephraim225 posted:

It can only go farther. Disc 3 opens the game up wide.

But I have to do Disc 2 first.

Update 6: Strange Game

I've only ever played 7 and 15, but wanted to let you know that I'm digging your playthrough. I love watching games get broken wide open, so this whole thread is right up my alley, even if some of the games are ones I haven't actually played!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MissileWaster posted:

I've only ever played 7 and 15, but wanted to let you know that I'm digging your playthrough. I love watching games get broken wide open, so this whole thread is right up my alley, even if some of the games are ones I haven't actually played!

Play 9! The mechanics aren't as ridiculous but it has the most personality to its art and characters even in the story turns to nonsense in the second half (but since when is that new for FF).

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

Thanks! I just hope I'm not stealing (Drawing?) Thunder from the Morrowind playthrough, I love the game and seeing it broken.

cis autodrag posted:

Play 9! The mechanics aren't as ridiculous but it has the most personality to its art and characters even in the story turns to nonsense in the second half (but since when is that new for FF).

In FF9's case I'd personally chalk that up to the writers wanting to actually connect the plot to FF1 (or tease it at least) instead of just sticking with an homage. But yeah, I'll personally recommend FF9. I'd also recommend FFX if the HD remaster let you actually skip the cutscenes.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Ephraim225 posted:

Now that I think about it I bet I could give the DOS Elder Scrolls games a good thrashing sometime too.

There are only a couple of tricks I know.

In Arena the mana cost of spells is divided by your level, and all spells gain a linear amount of power per level. So you can create a permanent shield spell for 100 hp/level around, say, level 15 or so, and have 1500 effective HP in a game where you have about 100 or so normal HP at that point.

And in Daggerfall I believe you level your skills a lot faster if you take the debuff: critical weakness to paralysis while playing a high elf, which are immune to paralysis

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I'll wholeheartedly recommend not ever playing through FFXIII or even watching an LP. The combat can be a unique challenge, but gods alive what a stupid loving story with remarkably unlikable characters and incredibly silly character design. Its only saving grace is that almost every cutscene can be skipped even on the first playthrough.

Chrono Trigger is the best FF, with FF6 and FF4 following up in that order, in my list.

As for Elder Scrolls, I think the best breaking I ever saw was the freelance astronauts modding the poo poo out of Oblivion some years back. I don't know why, but that was an hilarious LP.

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 6, 2017

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Mods are kind of like external devices though, so I don't know if those count.

Update 7: Does FH count as a Big Bridge?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
FF8's story is such a mess. I've long assumed the story was written by a committee whose members all wanted wildly different things and eventually someone said "gently caress it, we'll just do all the plot ideas. This game is now about time-travelling card-playing mercenaries who go around in their flying high school to combat the evil empire, the heroes are amnesiac orphan long-lost childhood friends who have to fight their mother figure they don't remember, but most importantly it's a love story."

I do like that at this point of the game Cid finally realizes he's dangerously incompetent and puts Squall in charge instead.

Ephraim225 posted:

The King has a funny attack, though: he throws giant soccer balls and TV sets at you before finishing with...uh...giant pie tins. I don't really get it, feels like this is some Japanese cultural meme.

Metal wash tubs falling on peoples' heads is some kind of Japanese comedy trope. That's about all the explanation I can offer.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ephraim225 posted:

EVIL GALBADIAN HOCKEY PLAYERS! Like...seriously?! This enemy doesn't appear ANYWHERE else except the hockey rink, and they're called "Slappers" for some reason?! Is that a hockey term? I hear some translations call them "Jason" after Jason Voorhees, but dang...

That's exactly what they are. The first time you come to Galbadia, you can talk to some guy in the locker room who will tell you that Galbadia has a team of demihuman hockey players. For reasons.

Here's their concept art, with a different logo than the actual team logo used in-game. It seems like it should be illegal to grab a bunch of nonhumans and force them to play hockey for you, but I'm not a member of SeeD, so what do I know.

Apparently it's the French version that says that they like to watch Friday the 13th after they train, and that's the translation that calls them 'Jason'.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 6, 2017

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mountaineer posted:

Metal wash tubs falling on peoples' heads is some kind of Japanese comedy trope. That's about all the explanation I can offer.
I think it's sort of their equivalent of the Looney Tunes anvil gag.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I think it's sort of their equivalent of the Looney Tunes anvil gag.

It's halfway between that and a pie to the face.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do we do corruptions here? I'd love to see some extra hilarity on top of the Vinesauce stockpiles.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Dire Lemming posted:

I guess this is caused by little errors in where the character's body parts are positioned that only become noticeable when the coordinate values are really high?

For the curious, computers most commonly store decimals in a floating-point format, which stores the value in two parts- a bigass whole number, and the location of the decimal point. The more digits to the left of the decimal, the less digits you can have to the right- so the bigger the number is, the less precise it is.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jothan posted:

For the curious, computers bad developers most commonly store decimals in a floating-point format, which stores the value in two parts- a bigass whole number, and the location of the decimal point. The more digits to the left of the decimal, the less digits you can have to the right- so the bigger the number is, the less precise it is.

ftfy. most competently programmed engines are gonna keep as much as they can in ints and longs until they absolutely must do floating point math on them. there will still be errors in precision at that point but they should never be so huge as to be noticeable by the player.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cis autodrag posted:

ftfy. most competently programmed engines are gonna keep as much as they can in ints and longs until they absolutely must do floating point math on them. there will still be errors in precision at that point but they should never be so huge as to be noticeable by the player.

Well, to be fair, they're not noticable by the player under any normal circumstances, given you have to run for several minutes in a straight line at a theoretically impossible speed (seriously, speed of millions, when you should never have four digits' worth) to have them show up at all.

At that point, I'm going to blame whoever caused the bug that lets your speed get that high, not whoever decided to store positional data in whatever way it's stored.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 6, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Prism posted:

Well, to be fair, they're not noticable by the player under any normal circumstances, given you have to run for several minutes in a straight line at a theoretically impossible speed (seriously, speed of millions, when you should never have four digits' worth) to have them show up at all.

Bethesda should know better than to assume it's players will comply with their assumed limitations, but conversely all the fun of Bethesda games is that they keep making these assumptions so shrug I guess?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Prism posted:

given you have to run for several minutes in a straight line at a theoretically impossible speed (seriously, speed of millions, when you should never have four digits' worth)

I feel like this is about to segue into a lecture about parallel universes and gathering speed on a slope for days on end.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

I would be extremely interested to see what 3D engine you have that does not absolutely have to do floating point math. You're sitting on a goldmine.

But if it involves whatever development process that cares about user experience after their character has broken three billion miles outside the playable game bounds, you can keep it. I've had that kind of manager before. Never again.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

If the player is that determined to break the game, the game should just break.

That excessive level of robustness is not only way beyond the point of diminishing returns, it's also kind of boring.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sorites posted:

If the player is that determined to break the game, the game should just break.

That excessive level of robustness is not only way beyond the point of diminishing returns, it's also kind of boring.
I don't really think that "maybe we should actually cap the players' stats, especially the ones that affect how they interact with the game world" is excessive or unnecessary, but maybe that's just me. Honestly, with the same kind of exploits occurring in Skyrim, I feel like maybe Bethesda's doing this stuff on purpose, though, because they know a significant subset of their players are enjoying breaking their games.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

I feel like this is about to segue into a lecture about parallel universes and gathering speed on a slope for days on end.

I'm not that determined to shave a few seconds off my time.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Commander Keene posted:

I don't really think that "maybe we should actually cap the players' stats, especially the ones that affect how they interact with the game world" is excessive or unnecessary, but maybe that's just me. Honestly, with the same kind of exploits occurring in Skyrim, I feel like maybe Bethesda's doing this stuff on purpose, though, because they know a significant subset of their players are enjoying breaking their games.

Sorites's point wasn't that you shouldn't implement caps at all, but that after putting enough safeties in to prevent a player from accidentally breaking things there's not a huge incentive to spend the time trying to stop someone who's deliberately trying to break things, as that effort could be spent making other parts of the game better.

This goes out the window in most multiplayer games, of course, since in those if one person breaks the game it affects everyone else. For those you want to do your best to prevent any kind of breaking at all to preserve any kind of balance or fairness.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

FF8's story is such a mess. I've long assumed the story was written by a committee whose members all wanted wildly different things and eventually someone said "gently caress it, we'll just do all the plot ideas. This game is now about time-travelling card-playing mercenaries who go around in their flying high school to combat the evil empire, the heroes are amnesiac orphan long-lost childhood friends who have to fight their mother figure they don't remember, but most importantly it's a love story."

According to GameFAQs Game Credits, there was a single writer: Kazushige Nojima, and this is notable because it seems to be the first time he did any sort of story work on his own. He worked on FF7, FFX-2, FF13, Kingdom Hearts 2, Chain of Memories, and 358/2 Days, but he wasn't alone for any of these. The only other time he was alone?

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The 'plot' was written by him. Truly has a way with words, I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ephraim225 posted:

According to GameFAQs Game Credits, there was a single writer: Kazushige Nojima, and this is notable because it seems to be the first time he did any sort of story work on his own. He worked on FF7, FFX-2, FF13, Kingdom Hearts 2, Chain of Memories, and 358/2 Days, but he wasn't alone for any of these. The only other time he was alone?

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The 'plot' was written by him. Truly has a way with words, I'd say.

He was the director for Bahamut Lagoon, if that counts. Probably not.

However, he wasn't the only writer for Brawl because Masahiro Sakurai is also listed as a scenario writer.

• Locked thread