Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Is it spoons as a metaphorical measurement unit? That makes sense. If it's like, metaphorical spoons then I'm confused.

they were physical spoons, but they represented the energy limitations of having Lupus

https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

quote:

She asked what it felt like, not physically, but what it felt like to be me, to be sick.

As I tried to gain my composure, I glanced around the table for help or guidance, or at least stall for time to think. I was trying to find the right words. How do I answer a question I never was able to answer for myself? How do I explain every detail of every day being effected, and give the emotions a sick person goes through with clarity. I could have given up, cracked a joke like I usually do, and changed the subject, but I remember thinking if I don’t try to explain this, how could I ever expect her to understand. If I can’t explain this to my best friend, how could I explain my world to anyone else? I had to at least try.

At that moment, the spoon theory was born. I quickly grabbed every spoon on the table; hell I grabbed spoons off of the other tables. I looked at her in the eyes and said “Here you go, you have Lupus”. She looked at me slightly confused, as anyone would when they are being handed a bouquet of spoons. The cold metal spoons clanked in my hands, as I grouped them together and shoved them into her hands.

I explained that the difference in being sick and being healthy is having to make choices or to consciously think about things when the rest of the world doesn’t have to. The healthy have the luxury of a life without choices, a gift most people take for granted.

Most people start the day with unlimited amount of possibilities, and energy to do whatever they desire, especially young people. For the most part, they do not need to worry about the effects of their actions. So for my explanation, I used spoons to convey this point. I wanted something for her to actually hold, for me to then take away, since most people who get sick feel a “loss” of a life they once knew. If I was in control of taking away the spoons, then she would know what it feels like to have someone or something else, in this case Lupus, being in control.

aegof has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

my mom has lupus but apparently she didn't get the version with dumb spoon metaphors.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

my mom has lupus but apparently she didn't get the version with dumb spoon metaphors.

Almost word for word the epitaph on my mother's tombstone

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm glad the metaphor helped some people but I don't think it's a particularly illuminating one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think a slightly more universal way to describe the energy a neurodivergent or disabled person has to spend would be the gas in a vehicle. If you run out of gas, vehicle stops even though the rest of its parts are still working. You don't gain any more unless you stop for it. So you need to make extra sure you've got gas (:mmmhmm:) before setting out on a long trip

It's just... I don't think it's a concept folks really have trouble understanding. Everyone's got differing levels of energy!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:10 on Feb 13, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
And this is why we have the word "wherewithal."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

CJacobs posted:

I think a slightly more universal way to describe the energy a neurodivergent or disabled person has to spend would be the gas in a vehicle. If you run out of gas, vehicle stops even though the rest of its parts are still working. You don't gain any more unless you stop for it. So you need to make extra sure you've got gas (:mmmhmm:) before setting out on a long trip

It's just... I don't think it's a concept folks really have trouble understanding. Everyone's got differing levels of energy!

I was given the analogy of having a smaller or less efficient engine running the same machinery.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Most of it is down to English constantly looking for new and interesting ways to mutate and diversify. Idiom is a mainstay of the language, so 'I don't have the spoons for that' is readily comprehensible to a native speaker to mean 'I don't have the energy' or 'I already have enough on my plate'. It's definitely not a theory though.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Torquemada posted:

Most of it is down to English constantly looking for new and interesting ways to mutate and diversify. Idiom is a mainstay of the language, so 'I don't have the spoons for that' is readily comprehensible to a native speaker to mean 'I don't have the energy' or 'I already have enough on my plate'. It's definitely not a theory though.

This is something awful, you're supposed to have a grandstanding 8 page meltdown because somebody uses a figure of speech you don't, as is traditional

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's the thing about posters these days, no respect for tradition. Why in the oughts we went on our 8 page rants and we liked it, the ichor flowed thick like sap from a tree and gimmick posters were around every corner. (Blah, blah blah, you get there idea)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So I tied a 6 hour probe around my belt, as was the style at the time

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Torquemada posted:

it is in no way comprehensible to a native speaker (myself).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

it is in no way comprehensible to a native speaker (myself).

Sorry that you had to find out this way that you speak the wrong English.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

At this rate, they'll never be a federal agent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4XCZfkGF8k

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If you want to understand Spoon Theory stop washing your spoons and see how long it takes for your life to devolve into a hellscape where you are trying to eat soup with a fork. That's what being disabled is like.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Desert Bus posted:

If you want to understand Spoon Theory stop washing your spoons and see how long it takes for your life to devolve into a hellscape where you are trying to eat soup with a fork. That's what being disabled is like.

idk have you tried just washing your spoons

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Alternatively,

Everybody eats soup with a fork sometimes

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Desert Bus posted:

I'll just slurp it straight from the bowl like a proper goon

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Microwave it in a measuring cup, they already have a pour spout

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

idk have you tried just washing your spoons

If you leave your forks unwashed for long enough, the congealed crap between the tines will solidify enough to make them useable as spoons, problem solved!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

aegof posted:

they were physical spoons, but they represented the energy limitations of having Lupus

https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

Yeah the etymology is literally that there happened to be a bunch of spoons around when she was trying to explain it.

Anything else about measurements and capacities came later.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
That thing about idioms; my therapist recently said my ex is "living rent-free in your head." That's the sort of quirky phrasing I think a certain eccentric person might say. It's a weird phrase, not one I would use, but kind of interesting coming from him. But then a friend of mine said it. So it's not a quirky phrasing, it's just an idiom that is catching on. But it's a weird one, right? I would never say that. It doesn't "roll off the tongue" the way idioms do. I feel like if someone says that to me, and it's not their thing, then they're referencing something.

So anyway, here's what's wrong with the all that (page 1 of 8):

First of all: new to me so bad (obvious)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

credburn posted:

That thing about idioms; my therapist recently said my ex is "living rent-free in your head." That's the sort of quirky phrasing I think a certain eccentric person might say. It's a weird phrase, not one I would use, but kind of interesting coming from him. But then a friend of mine said it. So it's not a quirky phrasing, it's just an idiom that is catching on. But it's a weird one, right? I would never say that. It doesn't "roll off the tongue" the way idioms do. I feel like if someone says that to me, and it's not their thing, then they're referencing something.

If by "catching on" you mean "was run into the ground years ago at this point" yeah.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Living rent free has always been a stupid phrase because people used it for 'discussing someone in a topic involving them' from the very start.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Sorry that you had to find out this way that you speak the wrong English.

i lived in pennsylvania, i always knew that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i lived in pennsylvania, i always knew that.

Yinz Pennsylvania or You'se Pennsylvania?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yinz Pennsylvania or You'se Pennsylvania?

fries in the sammich, pennmac on saturday morning pennsylvania.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

A friend of mine in a group text just used the “*checks notes*” thing I’ve seen online forever.

It’s gone mainstream.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Living rent free has always been a stupid phrase because people used it for 'discussing someone in a topic involving them' from the very start.

Sounds like the phrase has been living rent free in your head :smug:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

u mad

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Media that did not age well: troll face comics.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Fish of hemp posted:

Media that did not age well: le troll face comics.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I think it's safe to say anything that came from 4chan soured like cat piss lasagna the moment it left 4chan

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

credburn posted:

Ann Landers coined it 35 years ago.

wiktionary posted:

Often attributed to American advice columnist Eppie Lederer (1918–2002), who used it in her syndicated advice column in 1990.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ann Landers coined it 35 years ago.

Ann Landers is a boring old biddy!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Chrpno posted:

:monocle:

She's dead you know, there's no one left to impress.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Chrpno posted:

Someone's gotten into the blackberry schnapps

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

credburn posted:

I think it's safe to say anything that came from 4chan soured like cat piss lasagna the moment it left 4chan

I am still so very tired of seeing Pepe all around the internet.

I hate that fuckin' frog so much...

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Vandar posted:

I am still so very tired of seeing Pepe all around the internet.

I hate that fuckin' frog so much...

I love how people went through all the effort to reclaim him from the nazis and then the creator just sold out and made NFTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I love how people went through all the effort to reclaim him from the nazis and then the creator just sold out and made NFTs.

Lmao, did he really? That's honestly kind of sad.

He never got 'reclaimed' btw. People say he did, but nah. He's still used in all the worst ways by all kinds of terrible people.