Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
You know how it goes, you're binge watching a show on some streaming service, and all of a sudden you get to some episode from the 90's and they whole plot is based around this new fancy thing called The Internet.

Or it's a different show from the 2000s and they're talking about some flash in the pan issue like trans-fats or Kony that was a big deal at the time but was forgotten really fast. Or a ripped from the headlines episode of some news story like the Elian Gonzalez case that was huge at the time but was very much tied to the era it happened in.

Or even just a series has an episode about how important it is to vote and they leaned hard into whatever candidates were running the year that it aired.

So what as some episodes of otherwise good TV shows that didn't age well.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - I Robot... You, Jane.

So there's this new thing called The Internet and somehow Willow got a demon onto it. Between the plot, which is very much this 90's "we need to do an episode about The Internet, and the 90's beige CRTs, this episode really dates itself.

King of the Hill - Lost in MySpace.

Remember when Fox paid a shitload of money of MySpace? Yeah.

Community - App Development and Condiments.

This is more recent, dating to 2014, but the premise being about people being addicted to social media on cell phones. This is already kinda dated and is likely not going the age well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The entirety of 24 is so tied up in Bush era attitudes towards terrorism that it's really dated now.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

queserasera posted:

Where? I thought DS9's sets and props didn't suffer too badly from Star Trek's futuristic tech problems because it's a running joke that the station is outdated Cardassian tech. (That said, ST trying to predict future tech will never not be hilarious.)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We've been going through Stargate SG1 and overall is a good time. We're up to season 6 and I think it the best series of episodes yet. I like how the show respects their own canon.

Great show, except when they don't leave Earth and become NCIS: Stargate. The SG1 team of an Air Force officer, an Air Force scientist, a civilian anthropologist, and an alien warrior, would be sent around the United States to investigate government conspiracy and hack computers. These episodes are the weakest of the series as they rarely have science fiction elements, and at worst resemble cop shows, right down to SG1 chasing perps down alleys or interrogating suspects.

This also led to the unfortunate squandering of a precious Star Trek actor guest appearance. Armin Shimmerman and René Auberjonois had appeared in early seasons and were used well (with Auberjonois' episode being the best episode of the series), but unfortunately John de Lancie was cast as a leader of a shadowy group of conspriators who sit around desks and threaten people in suits, waiting for Richard Dean Anderson to show up and shoot everyone with a stun gun.

Fortunately mid-6th season they seem to have figured out Earth is boring and moved on from these types of episodes (and de Lancie's fate was kickass).

These episodes are actually why Michael Shanks left the show for season 6 before coming crawling back.

Strudel Man posted:

Couldn't you just cover up the bottom of the screen?

Holy poo poo.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

My wife is currently bingeing on E.R., which lasted 15 seasons.

The secret being to kill off all your characters regularly. So like the 70's show if the Foreman family all died and were replaced by a new wacky family.

All I remember about ER was that they had an rear end in a top hat doctor being stalked by helicopters.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of the season 2 finale of The O.C.. Now, I haven't actually watched that show myself, but apparently it was a fairly dramatic moment complete with a character death and everything. And then they put it to this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D46LisJJzBQ

Also it doesn't help that SNL parodied this with "Dear Sister."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Clip shows are pretty stale at this point, yeah. "Clerks" and "Community" had the only fresh takes on it I've seen in a while ("Clerks" did it as the second episode, so all their flashbacks were to the first episode; "Community"'s clips were all new footage of adventures the characters had but which were never actually episodes).

Didn't ABC not actually air the original pilot for clerks, so the clip show was actually the first episode aired?

Also yeah clip shows aren't really as common nowadays with the rise of streaming and shortening of season orders.

Back in the day clip shows were both a way to save money and a way to catch the audience up on the premise of a series and the best moments. With the rise of streaming sites that show both the entire series in order, and clips of the best moments of a show, they're no longer as necessary. And with shorter season orders becoming more commonplace, shows have a similar budget to spread across fewer episodes, which means that they don't have to do clip shows to build up some extra money for a finale.

Instant Sunrise has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Sep 6, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

knife_of_justice posted:

Family Guy had a recent episode where some crudely-drawn characters from the first episode make a cameo appearance, because meta.

I thought they did a time travel episode where they went back to the pilot episode. Or did they do the same gag twice?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I think some of it has to do with timing.

The show had started going to poo poo from running out of ideas right around the same time that Bush 43 was elected president and right-wing evangelical christianity became more mainstream and had become a part of cultural conversation (documentaries like Jesus Camp and such). So the Simpsons already had this christian character, and at the same time there was an increased awareness in the coasts of this highly political religious movement in "flyover country" that's trying to make America more like their ideal.

Like the peak example of that was some episode where Ned got Kent Brockman pulled off the air for some reason and the episode turned Brockman into an Edward R Murrow stand-in.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's a bit more complex. Griffith certainly didn't do all he could have done.

There were African-American extras on the Andy Griffith Show. There was one black actor with a speaking part: Rockne Tarkington, who played Opie's football coach in a later, color episode. Opie thinks he has to choose between football and piano and Tarkington shows him he can do both.

Griffith was questioned at the time. He said that prominent black citizens simply wouldn't exist in the Andy Taylor world. To an extent, that would have been true. Griffith said that if Mayberry had a black doctor, no white citizen would have used him. And they wouldn't. That said, realism stopped with the Andy Griffith Show with the jail key left on the hook between the cells and the kookiness of the town in the color episodes. Of course, there could have easily been more interaction with black citizens in Mayberry on the show.

The Andy Griffith Show was a mix of 1930s nostalgia in a 1960s setting. The show only once mentioned Vietnam, too, and that was in passing. There was a reference to marijuana. The black and white episodes were almost entirely devoid of pop culture and the color ones didn't get specific about pop culture, except for a ridiculous computer dating episode. CBS' rural shows had no intention of changing the world and that's ultimately what killed all of them. CBS saw where the wind was blowing and canceled a heap of them..

The Andy Griffith spinoff Gomer Pyle USMC was incredibly dated right from the start. It came out in the midst of the Vietnam war and just it didn't acknowledge that at all, despite being set on a Marine Corps base.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've watched the first bit of a documentary about British TV called "Who Killed Saturday Night TV?" and so far it's sort of interesting as someone not from the UK about rise and fall of various popular Saturday Night programs.

It sort of reminds me how in the US that Friday and Sunday nights used to be pretty big television nights in the 80s and 90s. Fridays had the mass of sort of family sitcoms for a long time. Sundays would be where I seem to recall a lot of movie of the week would air. Then it seemed like at some point that all just vanished. The ABC TGIF line sort of become irrelevant, the movie of the week went away, etc.

The Simpsons was joking about this as early as 1997. "Lisa, when you get a little older, you'll realize that Friday is just another day between NBC's Must-See Thursday and CBS's Saturday night crap-o-rama."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

lemon-lyme disease posted:

How horrible was that show? Did it get cancelled because of the sad foresight?

I admit that I watched it when it aired and (probably) liked it? but I remember zero details and haven’t seen it since. In my defense, I was young and just always thought the Lone Gunmen were kind of cool. :shrug:

It was shitcanned before 9/11.

No, it had crap ratings for the time because it was focused a lot more on the conspiracy theory aspect, and the black helicopter crowd had used up their fifteen minutes of fame once Clinton left office.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watching Dr Who relaunch for first time. Overall enjoying it (near end of series 3), but holy hell the Daleks are the worst recurring villain. Worst than TNG Ferengi, as at least those guys didn’t keep having two parters. Screechy, dull, and with idiotic storylines. Although I do like the Cybermen, and the one Weeping Angel episode was fantastic.

There’s a persistent rumor that a contractual clause between Terry Nation’s estate and the BBC requires the BBC to use the Daleks once a season or else the rights for them will revert back to the Nation estate.

Personally I think that’s bunk and that the producers just love to run a good villain into the ground by overuse. (See also: every Weeping Angel episode after “Blink.”)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, man, that reminds me of the RHPS Saturday morning cartoon. Boy, would that not fly today! Sweet that they got Curry to voice act his own role, the Janet wasn't really all that good.

wait what

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Haley Joel has aged wonderfully. He's a very funny and talented comic actor.

A crazy thing to me about the Simpsons to me is that they had a joke based on the 1966 university of Texas shooting only 28 years after it happened. What's next, Stephen Paddock jokes in 2045?

TBH I think most people only remember that because it was mentioned in the half of Full Metal Jacket that people actually watched, and in that movie the joke was that nobody knew who he was.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

I and some one else have said this before in the unpopular opinions thread but second half of FMJ is so much better than the first

I agree with you, but only one half of that movie seems to get remembered or talked about.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

SNL is weird because the political stuff is so topical that it ends up acting as a time capsule.

Even if you end up needing footnotes and annotations for some of the sketches. For example, the episode hosted by Ford's press secretary Ron Nessen had a sketch about the Supreme Court barging in on a couple in bed. How many people nowadays remember Doe v. Commonwealth's Attorney of Richmond? Even though that was the court case it was satirizing.

But those time capsule sketches like that are so dated that they actually come back around to helping people understand the social and cultural context of an event.

For the record, Doe v. Commonwealth's Attorney of Richmond was a 1976 Supreme Court Case involving Virginia's anti-sodomy laws, which the Supreme Court upheld at the time. It wouldn't be until 2003 with Lawrence v. Texas that anti-sodomy laws would be overturned.

Instant Sunrise has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Nov 6, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRZvlZZ0DY

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

SNL was always at it's best when you personally watched it as a teenager.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

You see these guys like Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler and so on. They start their careers doing real low-budget comedies. The studios don’t have enough money invested in them to really give a poo poo so whatever be as subversive and risk-taking as you want.

So the comedian finds a schtick and runs with it. And it works. The budget is so low that it’s really easy to turn a profit.

But the one note characters you started out doing wear thin. So you start doing more varied roles. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

Whatever though, you got paid and now you’re a bankable name. But you’ve also got kids and a mortgage now and would you really want them watching your early work?

And now your movies have much bigger budgets so the studios are paying attention. And so with dozens of people writing it now, everybody wants to play it safe. So anything that won’t play well in what some rich guy thinks flyover country is like gets dropped.

But the bigger the budget the harder it’s gonna be to make that budget back, and the bigger the chance of a movie flopping. And wouldn’t you know it, the movie you made that had a huge budget and had very few jokes in it didn’t do so well.

Whatever, at least there’s animated movies. Drive down to a voice studio, go 9-5, come home in time to see your kids. No 18 hour days on set here.

Besides, the property taxes on that mansion is a bitch.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Also he's working with Lorne Michaels on a David S. Pumpkins movie.

wait i wasn't supposed to tell you about that.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Atmus posted:

I started looking into it and found out that Family Matters is a spin off of Perfect Strangers. What the gently caress, man

And all this time I thought it was a Die Hard spinoff.

Wheat Loaf posted:

How did Roseanne herself end up going from would-be Green Party candidate to hardcore Trump supporter? :confused:

Wait really? I knew she hardcore hated trans women but I didn't know she was that far down the rabbit hole.

Instant Sunrise has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Dec 12, 2017

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Precambrian posted:

From what I know about the Simpsons, the writers and voice actors have really strong contracts that gives an enormous amount of power to the showrunner instead of the network. I'm not sure how the rights are handled exactly, but I have to assume Disney execs trying to assert their authority (likely through firings/replacements) on a writers room that's used to not having to deal with execs will end really ugly. Groening expected a similar deal for Futurama, and the writing team really chafed under executive notes.

The protectionism probably played a role in the Simpsons' decline, since it's such a plum position, writers just stick around forever, and everything becomes calcified and by the motions. At the same time, I'm not going to celebrate a megacorp busting up a creative-favoring contract just because it means rebooting a 30 year old show from my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ffaTv4ajg

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Honestly, I'd say that it was The Crying Game that put trans people on Hollywood's radar in the 90's. To the point where the plot twist in it is the only thing that people remember about the movie.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Specifically, movies are rated by the 12 member board of the MPAA called the Classification & Rating Administration (CARA). There's basically no transparency to this process and there's a lot of tea leaf reading that has kinda hammered down what content gets what rating. But for example, scenes with LGBT content will usually get rated one rating higher than an equivalent straight scene. The MPAA is basically just an industry group that comprises all of the studios, so not in any way accountable to anyone but the major studios.

As an aside, the PG-13 rating is the most recent one, which was made in the 80's after Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom traumatized a bunch of kids by having a PG rated movie feature a dude getting his still-beating heart ripped out.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The Bloop posted:

That was literally me. My mom too me out if the theater. My dad stayed with my older brother.

*traumatized a generation of kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyx6nWdFas