Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

client posted:

lol everytime

I'll see your X-Files and raise you Murder, She Wrote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

L&O: SVU and Ice-T are wonderful because they gave us this brilliant bit from John Mulaney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4pQBYg1vfA

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I'll never understand anyone liking rugrats

more like old...

You know what? No. I totally agree and I'd emptyquote this all day if I could.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I loved it growing up--had all the die-cast models n' poo poo--but when I revisted an episode or two as an adult the whole thing has some horrifying authoritarian "keep your head down, do your loving job, and don't question the way things are" themes to it.

Quelle apropos that this post showed up on Imgur today:

https://imgur.com/gallery/kylNN

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Arivia posted:

It's true for Sesame Street by way of John Munch, so why can't it be true for other shows?

Oh, sur-- wait, what?!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yep, the spitting image of the real Charles:

Giving Michael Landon that beard would've made the show a millions times better.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Matlock's a real show? I always thought it was just a Simpsons gag.

Nope. Beloved show of grandmas everywhere from 1986-1992, and then in syndication later on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matlock_(TV_series)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090481/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Speaking of: more about a movie/stage show that didn't age well (if it was even decent to begin with) but here's a really good look back at Rent's two incarnations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qfFbtIj5w

David Rakoff did a brilliant monologue about why Rent is terrible:

David Rakoff posted:

There are 525,600 minutes in a year. I learned that from watching Rent. From watching Rent, I also learned that the best way to mark the passing of these 525,600 minutes would be to measure them out into something Jonathan Larson, the writer of the musical, called seasons of love. What does that even mean, seasons of love?

In Rent, the characters live out their seasons of love in huge lofts. Some of them have AIDS, which is coincidentally also the name of a dreaded global pandemic that is still raging and has killed millions of people worldwide. In Rent, however, AIDS seems to be a disease that renders one cuter and cuter.

The characters are artists, creative types. They have tatterdemalion clothes. Some of them are homosexual, and the ones who aren't homosexual don't even seem to mind. They screen their calls. And when it is their parents, they roll their eyes. They hate their parents. They're never going back to Larchmont, no way. They will stay here living in their 2,000 square feet of picturesque poverty being sexually free and creative.

Here's some ways to broadcast creativity in a movie. Start plinking out a tune on a piano. Scratch a few notes on some music paper. Plink some more. Suddenly crash both hand down on the keyboard, then bring them quickly up to your head and grab the hair on your temples screaming, it won't work! Or sit at a typewriter, reading the page you've just written, realize that it's poo poo and tear it from the platen, and toss it behind you. Cut to waste paper basket overflowing with crumpled paper.

Here's what they do in Rent to show that they are creative. Nothing-- they do nothing. They hang out. And hanging out can be marvelous. But hanging out does not make you an artist. A secondhand wardrobe does not make you an artist. Neither do a hair-trigger temper, melancholic nature, propensity for tears, hating your parents, nor even HIV-- I hate to say it-- none of these can make you an artist.

They can help. But just as being gay does not make one witty-- you can suck a mile of cock. It does not make you Oscar Wilde. Believe me. I know. I have tried. The only thing that makes you an artist is making art. And that takes the opposite of hanging out.

So when they sing the anthem of the show-- that's a lie, really. Every song in the show is an anthem delivered with adolescent earnestness. It's like being trapped in the pages of a teenager's diary. So when they sing the title anthem of the show, "We're not gonna pay this year's rent" followed by kind of barked cheer of "rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent, rent," my only question is, well, why aren't you going to pay this year's rent?

It seems that they're not going to pay this year's rent because rent is for losers and uncreative types. Rent is for suits. By contrast, they have the last bastion of artistic purity. They have not sold out, and yet their brilliance goes unacknowledged, so gently caress you, yuppie scum!

I know what it's like to feel angry and ignored. I lived in Brooklyn a long time ago about a block away from a prison. During the day, the neighborhood bustled with lawyers, judges, criminals, bail bondsman, private detectives. I lived on a block in a little two-story building that had once been a coach house in the 19th century. And the basement had a red dirt floor. On the ground floor below me was an office that did what exactly, resumes? I can't remember.

What I do remember is the man whose office it was. Raul was knee-buckingly handsome. If my life had been different like, I don't know, if I were like a hot girl with a driver's license, I could have put on a tube top and gone outside to wash my car in slow motion or something, but alas.

Once during the day-- it must have been the weekend because I was at home-- I could hear Raul having sex in the office downstairs. I skittered around my apartment like a cockroach on a frying pan, trying not to make any noise while desperately looking for a knot hole in the crappy floorboards. Eventually, I just laid down flat against the tile of the kitchen floor, listening. Lying flat against the tile on my kitchen floor listening to someone else have sex is essentially in my 20s in a nutshell.

I was robbed in that neighborhood twice. And there were days when it hardly seemed worth it to live in a horrible part of town just so that I could go daily to a stupid, soul-crushing, low-paying job. Especially since as deeply as I yearned to be creative, for years and years I was too scared to even try, so I did nothing. But here's something that I did do-- I paid my loving rent.

TL;DR: You can listen to it here.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

The video I posted is essentially that kind of stuff but more in depth and with really good film criticism/humor. If you haven't watched it I would really recommend it, along with al of chez Lindsay's other videos

Apologies -- I don't usually check Youtube videos at work. Your post just reminded me of Rakoff's monologue. Will give it a look.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Doesn't rent-control usually only apply to people who live in a place at the time the rent-control is enacted, and then the landlord can jack up the rent when the old tenant leaves and a new one moves in? So any of these people in these shows buying or wanting to move into so-called "rent-controlled" buildings wouldn't be getting that sweet low rent anyway, right?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

loving hell, did I just defend Mama's Family? I think I need to start drinking.

While your dissertation on Mama's Family was quite good, I suspect stone cold was commenting on the Carol Burnett GWTW sketch.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

The Bloop posted:

That's the first episode that had the THIS poo poo IS DISTURBING YOU MAY NOT WANT TO SEE IT warning before it.

They weren't kidding, either.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Comstar posted:

A hit Australian TV series that went for 7 years is never going to be shown again after the lead actor was convicted of two counts of sexual intercourse with a child, seven counts of indecent assault upon a person under the age of 16 and one count of committing an indecent act. The final episode everyone dies from a bank robbers bomb which is kinda dark for a sitcom (which the characters mentioned).

There's an American show called "Seventh Heaven" that will never be aired again for similar reasons. The show was long over by the time this came out, but it was a favorite of family/religious networks in reruns.

Oops.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are you being ironic or did you not know 7th Heaven was back on the air within a year of being shelved?

I hate the fact I even know this, but my wife likes the worst television and the adventures of the Camden family still occasionally pops up in our TiVo library.

I think Cosby is even back on some of those niche channels. It helps that it probably costs next to nothing to rebroadcast at this point.

Actually, I was seriously unaware of that. What an extraordinarily depressing turn of events.

I did know that Cosby is still on, though -- I'll occasionally see it on the channel guide in the super-high cable numbers.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

What's weird is that my brain somehow combined this episode with some live action show I can't remember the name of where a kid with AIDs is on the swimteam of a highschool (i think) and he cracked his head open in the pool and everyone panics and flees and all the parents are angry and reacting like the kid's a monster etc. Does anyone know what the hell show I'm talking about? Cause for a while I thought captain planet had an aids kid bleeding in a pool and I was trying to remember how they got around the censors for that. I also remember thinking "I'd probably get the gently caress out of a pool a kid was bleeding heavily in regardless cause gross"

This feels painfully familiar, but I'm thinking it was more likely an After-School Special (who else remembers those?) or a Lifetime movie.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

The episode where he dies really hosed me up.

I really liked that episode all the way around (and not because of the helicopter-death scene, although it was a fantastic "HOLKY poo poo!" moment).

A TV station here has started rerunning ER again and I'll find myself binge-watching when it's on, and I still enjoy it. I think whoever it was upthread who said TV shows with interchangeable cast members tend to age better was right, if for no other reason than it's a pattern that mimics life. People quit or find better jobs or get squashed by helicopters, and the world just keeps right on turning.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Dexie posted:

What we basically need is someone to redo the Walk of Life Project but with All Star instead.

I love everything about this.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Any show or movie from the 90s that had a badass character with a mullet.

MacGyver, noooooo

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Ah, Dan Quayle...

We were so goddamn innocent back then.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

wait what the gently caress how do you Brits(?) pronounce solder

"sword"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

that song sounds like poo poo goddamn

Also, they released it before 9/11 if that timeline is correct.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

purple death ray posted:

They're ripping off biggie anyway but just in case you actually don't know this, the wtc was bombed in 1993

:doh:

Goddammit. I don't know if says more about me or this horrible excuse for a country that I completely blocked that out in the wake of all the other terrible things that have happened in the 24 years since then.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

*empty silence* *empty silence*

:golfclap:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Alaois posted:

ein cooler typ's gimmick is being a unfunny oldpainless

More like oldhumourless.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

John Big Booty posted:

Sandy Frank is almost 90. No need to put him on the Anime Death List that does not exist.

Oh, come now. Sandy Frank has been a walking cadaver for at least the last 20 years (woman on the right is his ex-wife, and a former model if you can believe it):

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Jesus.

I was going to make a joke about Sandy Frank looking like the living embodiment of his own body of work (pieced together haphazardly to give the appearance of a manufactured whole), but I'm not sure if he's a burn victim or not.

I'd say it's more likely he's a victim of bad plastic surgery. Kind of a shame, really:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

purple death ray posted:

If SNL was The Simpsons, Mad TV was like, Fish Police.

Sarcopenia posted:

I had never heard of this show and had to look it up. My god is it painfully unfunny and John Ritter's voice acting in it is awful.

:aaa: :wtf:

Suddenly I understand a riff in the MST3k episode "Blood Waters of Dr. Z."

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Meet Dave in particular seemed to hugely overexpose Eddie Murphy to the point where it was a joke in itself, if I remember right.

You aren't kidding:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

While we're on the subject of completely inappropriate songs, who else remembers this one-hit wonder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9TXjIadhq0

Lyrics:

Benny Mardones posted:

She's just sixteen years old
Leave her alone, they say
Separated by fools
Who don't know what love is yet
But I want you to know
If I could fly
I'd pick you up
I'd take you into the night
And show you a love
Like you've never seen - ever seen.
It's like having a dream
Where nobody has a heart
It's like having it all
And watching it fall apart
And I would wait till the end of time for you
And do it again, it's true
I can't measure my love
There's nothing to compare it to
But I want you to know
If I could fly
I'd pick you up
I'd take you into the night
And show you a love
Like you've never seen - ever seen

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ted Nugent had a song called "Jailbait".

This should be all I need to say, but here's the lyrics for the last verse:

Oh dear.

Considering how detestable his politics are, it should come as no surprise that his music is too.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

John Amos and Esther Rolle truly wanted to put a positive light on black families living in the ghetto and then DYNO-MITE exploded. In interviews, Jimmie Walker did not give gently caress one about being a clown. His view being that the show was a comedy and he wanted to make people laugh.

Which, from what I understand, was the reason John Amos left the show -- he didn't like DY-NO-MITE and Walker's comic portrayal.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Achernar posted:

This is actually an old Hollywood gimmick to give more money to show creators. The theme to Bonanza or I Dream of Jeanie also had lyrics written for them but not used in the intros.

And it is GLORIOUS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bczfyoafHBk

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Did anyone ever actually watch Charmed with the sound on?

:colbert:

grittyreboot posted:

There's a Twitter account that documents the questionable 2000's fashion choices of Charmed: https://twitter.com/charmedoutfits?s=09

This, on the other hand, is amazing.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Dec 4, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Catch 22 is one of the funniest and most infuriating books I've ever read.

My dad felt the same way the first time he read it. Then he got sent to Vietnam. It wasn't nearly as funny to him when he reread it after he got home.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

My dad said all his army buddies made fun of the scene where the guy gets chopped in half. Apparently it looks fake, but it always looked real to me.

That said, if people in the military say someone getting mangled or decapitated looks fake, they probably know what the real stuff looks like.

Yeah, my dad was a medical corpsman in the Navy. He got to see the worst of what war does to people. He really doesn't talk about it much.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Big Bang Theory becomes an unwatchable Lovecraftian mess to human viewers if you take away the laugh track. Not that Big Bang Theory isn't already an unwatchable mess on its own, but the constant weird pauses for laughter that never comes will drive you inexorably insane.

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Atmus posted:

I started looking into it and found out that Family Matters is a spin off of Perfect Strangers. What the gently caress, man

:wtf:

I thought it was a spin off of Full House.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Even from her Comedy Central Roast it is pretty obvious that she is not mentally very well balanced person.

So she and Trump are a perfect match, really.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

And yet 20 years later Pikachu still hasn't evolved.

And neither have his fans, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had a cell phone in 1994 and I was a poor college student. Granted I got to choose between a mobile phone and a bag phone and I reeeeally considered that bag phone.

My parents' first "cell" phone was a bag phone.

Mu Zeta posted:

Also there are still assholes everywhere since I see Uber drivers staring at their phone while driving all the time.

Yup. I watched a guy yapping on his cell phone blow through an intersection today while everyone else was stopped to let a firetruck with full lights and sirens go by. I hope that idiot crapped his pants, but more likely he had no clue.