Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been rewatching the first season of Stargate SG-1 and I'd like to nominate all of it. But especially episode four, Emancipation.

stargate.wikia.com posted:

On the seemingly peaceful planet of Simarka, the team encounter a race of Mongol-like Humans whose women have no rights whatsoever. Things turn bad when the team realizes Captain Samantha Carter has been kidnapped and sold to an enemy tribe, led by Turghan and as her teammates search for her, Carter fights to dismantle a series of ground rules on a planet where women are seen as objects instead of human beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pick posted:

A huge number of early Simpsons episodes are reaaaaaally uncomfortably racist.

Examples? (Not arguing, just curious)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I don't think this scene was played for laughs, just that the audience was uncomfortable with it.

It's definitely played for laughs. There are clear jokes throughout (eg. 3:02 where she asks him if he wouldn't rather a cup of coffee instead).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

How about the SVU one where everybody is shocked that a guy can get raped by three women, and spend time just making GBS threads on him and trying to figure out if it works that way? Combined with American censorship on network TV, they had to find ways around the old 'but isn't getting hard considered consent' and 'but wouldn't a guy enjoy it' and all of that? Oh, and one of the women is a lawyer and cross-examines the guy on the stand and intimidates him and stuff.
Also one of the rapists is played by the woman who would later play the ADA, which is weird when you see them out of sequence.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

SVU is awful for that sort of thing. Suspects are routinely abused, denied food and drink, and put under enormous pressure to confess but then end up being completely innocent. This keeps happening and nobody learns, despite the show trying to make us believe that the investigators are double true pinky swear remorseful this time.
Also the whole thing where they're like "corrupt and incompetent officers/detectives are a blight on the force who make us all look bad - but the internal affairs people who dedicate their careers to exposing and eradicating them are the loving SCUM OF THE EARTH and we hate them unconditionally!" You can't hate corruption and also hate the people whose whole job is to eradicate corruption.

mind the walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09TySF0FN6Y

It's a turbonerd doing a recap of the B-Plot involving Captain Hardass and how he's 100% in the right even if the crew and audience are poised to hate him. The first 30 seconds with the guy's face is pretty crappy, but stick with it. It's a fun watch if you've seen it or not.
I was so glad that guy made Troi wear a uniform. It had been annoying me almost since the show started.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

What about shows that HAVE aged well?

Yes Minister/Yes, Prime Minister is still really good. Police Squad. And if Scrubs is far enough back to be considered then also Farscape and Daria.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

One of the things I liked about King of the Hill was that it actually made an attempt at continuity for the most part, even though no one really aged. It'd be funny to see an animated show that actually aged the characters in real time.
My biggest disappointment with that show is that they gave up on aging the characters after the first year or two.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't Daria just a monotone, deadpan foil who was originally invented for commenting on how lame and immature Beavis and Butthead were? That's all I remember about her anyway, so i never found myself too interested and wondered from the start how she could carry a show by herself.

What was the deal? She just hated everything and everybody and was real sarcastic about it, right?
I can't be certain, but I think if you didn't watch it as a teenager then Daria probably won't appeal to you much. Certainly rewatching it as an adult I like Daria (the character) much less. But watching it as a teenager it's just incredibly relatable. It perfectly captures what it's like to be a teenager.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The ending of Watchmen is very similar to the Outer Limits episode "The Architects of Fear" (though I think Moore said it was a coincidence)- there, a bunch of people work to try to force world piece by faking an alien invasion, which involves turning one of their own into an alien monstrosity, but it all goes awry.
Watchmen's plot is copied almost exactly from The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. Moore just added super heroes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I read the latter a few years ago, and didn't notice a connection. Could you elaborate?

I was exaggerating a bit, but there are some pretty striking similarities. If you combine Adrian Veidt and Dr Manhattan then you basically get Winston Niles Rumfoord, and the whole plot of each leads up to a fake alien invasion engineered by Veidt/Rumfoord to bring about world peace. There's also some similarities between Veidt using Manhattan and manipulating him into exiling himself to Mars and Rumfoord using Malachi Constant and then having him exiled to Titan.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But the alien is real, and in fact aliens were the ones manipulating everything to begin with.

There is a real alien but the invasion is fake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

I feel that the increased acceptance of poly relationships is going to make a lot of love-triangle-based dramas age poorly.
Where are poly relationships not still regarded as weird deviations from the norm?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

spog posted:

I get your point, but you could argue that Doctor Who entered a death spiral with the sixth doctor and died out with little dismay at the end of the seventh.
The first five doctors covered a period of over twenty years though. If it took till the sixth Doctor for it to go bad, that's still way better than lasting only nine seasons. And they weren't your usual six-episode British TV seasons either, the shortest was 20 episodes.

Also, Sylvester McCoy was great. :colbert:

MisterBibs posted:

I maintain that the main weakness of the final season of Scrubs was that they tried to thread the needle between the Old Cast and the New Cast, and failed because they kept going back to Old Cast stuff that had been resolved/finished years into the previous seasons. I dug the new cast more than most people, too. I wouldn't call it a shame the series didn't continue, but I do wonder what might've been.
Yeah, I thought it could have been pretty decent if they'd actually committed to replacing the cast.

Rough Lobster posted:

So some of the TV's where I work show Charmed in the early mornings (when I work).

I don't think there's a single episode of this show that aged well, it's just so loving bad.
It's not that it doesn't hold up, it's just as good now as it ever was (which is not good at all).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

DS9 and ENT mirror universe everyone is a BDSM lesbian now thing is a bit hosed up too. They made the characters more titillating and more chaotic, but mostly just sexed up the women. The main reason it's problematic is that these are the "evil" versions of the characters. Become more evil? Better make them gay/bi

Before Willow from Buffy was gay, her evil vampire doppelganger from an alternate timeline was bisexual.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Grinder was a hilarious show and it loving sucks that it got cancelled.
I started watching that recently and I feel like it's really hit and miss. For every bit that makes me laugh there's a bit that makes me want to stop watching. Dean interacting with normal people is great, but his brother is just awful.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Going back to no one remembering insanely popular (at the time) shows like Ally McBeal... Futurama gets a little meta on its aging poorly in that early episode where the aliens come to Earth after seeing centuries-old tv transmissions and demand to see "McNeal".

As an old fart, just curious: did any one of you young 'uns catch that episode on DVD/reruns and wonder what the hell the alien was talking about, or miss the joke? I never even watched Ally McBeal, but it was such a popular show at the time when the Futurama ep aired that I at least knew what it was referencing with the plucky young female lawyer and the co-ed restroom references. Now that's probably lost on many people entirely.
I watched Futurama when it was new, and I had no idea until now that that was supposed to be an Ally McBeal reference as I never watched it or really knew anything about it. If you'd asked me what it was about, I'd have guessed "sitcom set in an office". The Futurama episode was still funny though.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The first season of Babylon 5 is famously bad; fortunately I actually started watching the show late in the second season (pretty sure Divided Loyalties was the one), and caught up with the rest through reruns.
I heard Babylon 5 was really good and watched about five episodes before giving up. I guess I'll give it another look at some point if the second season is as big an improvement as that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It breaks my heart to say this, but I'm not sure how easy it would be for someone with today's sensibilities to enjoy Babylon 5. The quality of acting and production values you would expect from a multi-season epic, much less a science fiction one, are not really there. I'd say Battlestar Galactica is what I'd tell people to watch now. But B5 will always be special for me.
I watched two-and-a-half seasons of Battlestar Galactica because everyone kept going on about how great it was. It's poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Does a show having a few episodes that are now considered offensive affect your enjoyment of that show as a whole?
To some degree. Any problem with a product is going to detract from it, it just depends how much of an effect that problem has. If it's just one episode and one isolated event that doesn't have any consequences outside of that episode then it's pretty much just going to effect that episode. But if it has consequences in later episodes or even just recontextualises things that happen in other episodes then it'll have a greater impact. Often what actually happens is that one big thing draws your attention to a lot of other, smaller issues that you might not otherwise have noticed. Like how a single plot hole can ruin a movie for you by making you think more about the rest of the plot, which leads to you realising that the rest of it doesn't hold together as well as you first thought either.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

hard counter posted:

as far as BB goes it also helps to keep in mind that walter was undergoing an immense transformation during the course of the show; if he were as loathsome in the early seasons as he was in the later i doubt there would have been such stark disapproval of skyler and maybe the show wouldn't have even taken off with that kind of lead
He was. He never gave a single poo poo about his family or he would have just taken the money from his rich friend. It was absolutely 100% all about him from day one and he never changed one bit. That's the thing I don't get about that show - it's supposed to be about how he slowly becomes this terrible person, but he was a loving shithead from episode one and I don't know how that could have been any clearer.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

He absolutely gave a poo poo about his family, he just was too prideful to want them to feel beholden to the people he felt stabbed him in the back. The whole show is about how he has so little self pride in the beginning that high schoolers are walking all over him, and by the end he sees himself as some untouchable kingpin even though in reality his whole life is in shambles. One of the last episodes is titled Ozymandias. It's pretty much the opposite of subtle.
It is completely unsubtle and yet you somehow missed it. If he cared about his family he'd have taken the money from his old friend. He didn't want them to be safe and secure if he died, he wanted everyone to know that he'd provided for them. The actual outcome was irrelevant, only that he got to be a big man and stand up against all the imaginary bad guys holding him back. You've even contradicted yourself in your explanation: was he too prideful to accept his friend's help or was he completely lacking in pride? He was always a greedy, entitled, self-absorbed narcissist. He was just too cowardly to do anything other than stew in his own self-pity until he got told he was dying, and that made him feel invincible since the worst was already going to happen so there was nothing more to lose.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I've been watching Yes, Minister and in many way's it's aged incredibly well. It's from the 1980s but it had an episode about a Big Brother style database and it was amazing how similar it was to discussions around privacy and security around the time of the Snowden leaks and still now. However every now and then it has a drunk driving scene that's treated as funny and just a bit cheeky. Obviously that's something that was acceptable back then it just stands out all the more for how ahead of its time so many of its episodes are.
I'm not really sure that's changed all that much.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

"drink driving"

What about it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

most Australian slang was concocted while drunk, if that explains anything
It's not slang, that's the proper term.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Besesoth posted:

If the place you're from is literally the only place on earth that phrases it that way, congratulations, it's slang.

That is not what "slang" means.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

eating only apples posted:

But why didn't Stacey rent the cheap apartment next door in the first place? :(

You go look at two flats and can't see a difference, but one's much cheaper than the other and the landlord won't give a straight answer about why. Which do you rent?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

evobatman posted:

All the episodes of TV shows with people using Windows phones and saying "I'll Bing it!" when they need to look something up.

They didn't age poorly, that has and will always sound dumb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

open24hours posted:

I always thought the very first episode of Red Dwarf was the best. It didn't have the funniest jokes, but it did such a good job of setting up the rest of the show.
It does have one of the best scenes/jokes of the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs7VQhVvxA

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Len posted:

You guys got me trying to track down a show from the mid 90s now and I'm having no luck.

It was a power rangers esque show with teenagers who fight bad guys in robots(?) and all I remember about it was I saved up to get the combining action figure set and it was no articulation and was super boring. I want to say the legs were formed out of a tank like vehicle that slid over an Ultraman looking guys legs but I could be wrong.
That lovely robot was one of two toys I saved up to buy with my own money, and both of them sucked. The other was a NERF-style gun that shot discs but turned out to be absolute garbage quality.

The Megazord that I got as a gift was awesome though, as is the actual NERF equivalent of the lovely one I bought. So to any parents I say, don't let your kids spend their money on lovely knockoffs. Convince them to keep saving for the proper version to avoid disappointment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

lemon-lyme disease posted:

That show actually prompted me to buy one of the playstation games. 2 maybe? It was pretty fun trying every single CD in the house until I ran out and still hadn’t generated that many legitimately cool monsters.
Wait, so there's a game that generates different monsters based, somehow, on what audio CDs you put into the console? How does that work?

Inescapable Duck posted:

The fun part is that it isn't as nuts as the movies that DID get cartoon spinoffs, including Robocop, Starship Troopers and Little Shop of Horrors. (where Audrey II raps)
I always found it pretty weird that the Beetlejuice cartoon existed. And Betelgeuse was a friendly prankster in it. And the Maitlands just weren't in it at all. It's basically got nothing to do with the movie.

Unrelatedly, it always annoys me that the movie is called Beetlejuice instead of Betelgeuse. There's even a joke in the film about his name being spelled that way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Len posted:

There's five CD based one a couple word based and one drawing based. How have you managed to miss out on Monster Rancher?

I haven't owned a game console since the Atari 2600.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Is it hearsay or a rumor that Eddie Murphy wanted to make movies that his kids could watch instead of like, Coming to America?
I'm pretty sure I first watched that movie when I was about 8, on TV in the middle of the afternoon. Why can't kids watch it?

oldpainless posted:

I paid good money to see Vampire in Brooklyn in a theater and it is my life’s greatest regret
I've seen that movie four or five times. It's the best.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, there's not much cut from tv for it, but there IS a bit of sexual content cut. Most notably in the opening where we see how the prince takes a bath--by having three naked ladies bathe him. One pops up and says "The royal penis is clean, your highness" to his delighted sigh.
Not sure if they showed the full version during the day, but I've definitely seen that scene on TV. But I don't think there's anything in the movie (that scene included) that's particularly explicit. I just checked and it's rated M in Australia ('Recommended for people aged 15 years and over. People under 15 may legally access this material because it is an advisory category. This category contains material that may require a mature perspective but is not deemed too strong for younger viewers. The content is moderate in impact.' - 'Sexual activity should be discreetly implied, if "justified by context".')

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

The song is entirely from the perspective of a mover, the chorus literally talks about moving heavy furniture, and the music video depicts two movers watching Dire Strait music videos.
And it's clearly making fun of both the character saying those things and the musicians themselves. You're not supposed to agree with the sentiments expressed in the lyrics, but you're are supposed to see that there is some underlying truth to them. There's also the clear contradiction of the "human being" musician getting "chicks for free". The character is expressing a mix of resentment and admiration for the musician in a way that doesn't really make sense and makes him look at least as bad as the person he's criticising.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The mover being a hard working rock musician. Moving the microwave ovens is a metaphor for paying your dues for success.
No, it's literally a guy who delivers kitchen appliances.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Honey is also in its own creepy category of death songs during that era: Tell Laura I Love Her, Last Kiss, Leader of the Pack, etc.
My favourite up-beat song about murder is I Did What I Did For Maria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhGKv9pYmKU

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There are a bunch of 1950s-60s songs with the obviously adult singer lusting after a teenager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=548saL8kjn4

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

He finally gave up trying to explain this and said if people think it's a love song, so be it.

People apparently quite often play Colin Hay's Waiting For My Real Life To Begin at weddings, which he's said he finds pretty weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

But a change in style or singer can change the feel or direction of a song.

Consider a female vocalist covers of "Run For Your Life" which removes a misogynist direction as a result of it being sung by a woman and about a man. It feels more like coming from a narrators who are telling the guy, "You cheat on me, we're over." along the lines of a "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"
Even more than the genders of the singers I think it's just the words "little girl". It's always really creepy when a man refers to a grown woman as "little girl". Change that to something else and even with a man singing it I don't think it would sound nearly so bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Obligatory story about Ted Nugent earned his reputation as a staunch advocate for patriotic duty:

(tl;dr - he shat in his pants to get out of Nam because only stupid hippies should be drafted)
Did he think that story made him sound cool? :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Okay, maybe someone can answer this. There's a Scrubs episode where JD and a patient sing 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' to Elliot, but I can't find the episode. It's not a big deal or anything, except I haven't been able to find it and now I question whether it really happened and maybe I've dreaming really odd fanfic about Second Becky from Rosanne.

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. I don't claim to have memorised everything that ever happened on Scrubs, but I did watch it a lot when it was on, and I don't remember that. Maybe you just have the wrong song?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I need to say that Catch-22 is one of 3 books that I have nothing but pure hate for.
It's one of those books that people say are brilliant and hilarious and I just don't get it at all. Along with A Confederacy of Dunces and The Man Who Was Thursday.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Genuinely surprised by Confederacy - as the ur-goon myself, I instantly recognized it as a book about a goon who lives before the internet.
That doesn't actually make it funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

On the other hand you have Sherlock which only did three feature-length episodes every two years and very quickly turned to dross.
It didn't turn to, it was bad from the beginning. Better examples are Red Dwarf or Jonathan Creek, which despite coming back for only a few episodes after multi-year breaks are still absolute garbage these days. Whether the seasons are 3 episodes or 52, sometimes a show's just run its course and should end.