Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah man I'm totally... shaking with rage here...? Also, what active antagonism are you referring to? I graduated ten years ago from a STEM department that had a nearly 50% split between the sexes, taught primarily by woman professors, and nobody was lovely to the women at all. ...Did you maybe type that from a public computer lab and you needed to make sure a woman walking by knew what a good dude you were or something, because jesus lol

Yes, STEM fields and techbros are still really misogynistic. Where you graduated from is not indicative of other places. Have you lived under a rock? How have you not noticed all of these incidents being brought up online, like everything that came out about Uber's treatment of its female employees?

And immediately jumping to saying he's just trying to impress girls by showing he's not a misogynistic piece of poo poo is really loving stupid, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

SVU is awful for that sort of thing. Suspects are routinely abused, denied food and drink, and put under enormous pressure to confess but then end up being completely innocent. This keeps happening and nobody learns, despite the show trying to make us believe that the investigators are double true pinky swear remorseful this time.

The bestworst one is still when Stabler stalks a rehabilitated pedophile, and constantly tries to get the guy to rape a kid. Like, seriously trying to make the guy find children sexually attractive again (poo poo like sidling up to him and whispering into his ear about how sexy little girls are), until he finally breaks and kidnaps a kid. The guy ends up jumping to his death.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was very young, I liked Thomas the Tank Engine. I think the old stop motion model episodes hold up decently well as far as shows for toddlers go.

Speaking of stop-motion, does anybody else remember The Magic Roundabout? I saw the British version when I was growing up and I can't bring myself to rewatch some of it and kill the nostalgia.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Beast Wars, which is about robots (in disguise, as animals, for no real reason)

Hey now. They had a reason. They crashed during a time period with no mechanical vehicles, so they had to adapt and choose the only things that were actually around (also because Megatron as a T-rex owned). They get more mechanical designs in the sequel series, too, when they get back to Cybertron.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think like in my head I accepted the world of FMA as an alternate reality to our own because there were a lot of themes similar to WW2 like the "totally not Jewish/Roma" analogue, similar to like Valkyria chronicles. So jumping over to our timeline I dunno...worked for me?

The thing is I know I saw Conqueror of Shamballa but I cannot remember a single loving thing about it which seems so weird now that you're telling me all this poo poo.

Yea, it kinda worked at the time because it was treated as an actual alternate universe, complete with alt-Roy, Bradley, and Alphonse. The big revelation was that Alchemy was powered by deaths in "our" world.

Shamballa is about the Thule Society trying to open the Gate from "our" side. Envy and Hohenheim had come through the Gate, too, and Hohenheim told Thule all about his homeworld, so they want in on that to reach "Shamballa" and gear up for Hitler's revolution. Because Hohenheim is full of good ideas.

Thule opens a small version of the Gate, and sends soldiers through, but they get twisted and mutated by the things within the Gate. Al has since learned how to attach parts of his soul to armor to create puppets, and sends a suit through the portal and meets Ed again. Gate shuts off and Thule wants to try again, but by using all of Envy and Hohenhiem's life force next time. Hohenheim and Envy are sacrificed by Thule, and Wrath and Gluttony are sacrificed by Al, to open the Gate again. Thule's next invasion is successful and the invasion force's commander gains the use of Alchemy. Fighting happens. Thule gets stopped, Ed and Al decide to remain in "our" world (someone has to be on "our" side to close the Gate on that side), Ed and Roy seal the Gate, Hohenheim and the Homunculi are all dead, those left in the FMA world go on with their lives, and the film (and the first anime series) ends.

Rangpur posted:

The decision to start on the 2nd episode of Escaflowne isn't even in the top 10 stupid decisions they made in adapting it for SatAM children's television. (For the record, #1-#9 are all 'trying to adapt Escaflowne for SatAM children's television in the first place.' )

Reminds me of when Cardcaptor Sakura got edited and rewritten to try to make Lee the main character, instead of Sakura. I think they also cut out the really questionable romance subplots, which was a good idea, though.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Gaunab posted:

A lot of 2003 FMA seems like it was depressing just to be depressing. Like if at the last second they revealed that everyone was in hell, it'd wouldn't be that much of a shocker.

Man, Rose did not deserve what happened to her.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

When I saw it, it aired before Monster Rancher, which did not shy away from acknowledging that Monsters were completely sentient and were being killed constantly.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I just remembered the Mummies Alive cartoon. I remember it being kickass when I was a kid. I'm absolutely terrified to track it down now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C0arR310g

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm the only one insane enough to remember the Mighty Ducks cartoon (username probably not related) and that was a lot more comedic than I remember. It was basically a hockey-themed TMNT wannabe.

You are not alone, buddy. It's time to rock and roll with Tim Curry.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

With how much Max jumped through time and space, the Time Patrol probably gave up.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

drat, dude.

But basically, the CD/DVD Monster Ranchers read part of the data on each disc you inserted, then generated a monster that the devs coded for that set of data. Every copy of the game would generate the same monster for the same disc, and some unique monsters were only available from inserting specific music discs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Tiggum posted:

As I understand it, Flash speed is impressive even to Kryptonians. And honestly if I was in a situation like that where someone demonstrates their super power by just making ice cream appear I'd probably react in a similar way.

It's pretty relatable.

I liked that one Episode of 90s Superman cartoon which was just a race between Supes and Flash, crossing the world. They ended up encased in ice at one point, and Flash got out faster by vibrating his molecules so fast he melted the ice.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Iron Chef was scripted as hell, especially when it came to starting drama. Just like 90% of cooking competition shows.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

It also didn't live long. It didn't even get to air the entire first season before being canceled.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

In the US, police are basically a violent street gang with the power of the state behind them. This is a narrative that is altogether absent from any depictions in any of these shows.

Chicago PD does a pretty good job of portraying that, regardless of its writers' intentions. Someone said it earlier, but it really is just an hour of police brutality, with the non-cops being justifiably horrified.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Toshimo posted:

I don't recall any other ones than Shandalar and DotP having any story to them, but I could have miscounted.

There's a Diablo-like Magic game currently in development, but how much of a story it will have isn't clear yet.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

TheKennedys posted:

in the "authors that aren't poo poo" category I nominate Tamora Pierce, who has basically always been an ally and super pro LGBTQ, she's made some mistakes but not any worse than the usual "of the times" phrasing problems and recently posted a huge twitter dunk on JKR

Applegate and her husband (K. A. Applegate, collectively) also support trans rights and have a trans daughter. Animorphs was also real good for the most part (a 50+ book YA series is bound to have weaker parts) and dealt with legit character traumatizing events over the course of the series.

Also it had a black girl main character right from the start. gently caress off with trying to score diversity points years after the fact, Rowling.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Dude tech companies are actually naming their evil poo poo "Skynet" and "Palantir", if there's not an actual real Bartertown someone will create one.

There are a lot of businesses called Bartertown.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Did the ship not have a setup for a support crew to get unfrozen and refrozen periodically, to make sure that everything is still running?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Humerus posted:

Then years later once the manga was done they adapted FMA again (Brotherhood)

The manga was actually still going when Brotherhood started. This led to them managing to have the manga and Brotherhood end almost simultaneously (Brotherhood ended one month after the manga).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

DreadUnknown posted:

GW pulled back super hard on Slannesh being the rapegod, and its more glam rock stuff. It's way better in general imo.

I liked the depictions if Slaanesh worship from the Horus Heresy novels, Fulgrim in particular. Slaanesh worship took root on a ship filled with artists of all kinds, after they witnessed the otherworldly sounds and colors of an alien temple to Slaanesh. They were driven mad trying to replicate the beauty of what they saw and heard. The first demonic transformations occurred during a singer's performance as her voice and the instruments became warped and psychically tainted until demons started manifesting through the bodies of everyone in attendance.

This also created the first Noise Marines when the attending Marines heard the impossible sounds.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The Emperor himself would burn the current Imperium to the loving ground if he was able to. Everything it currently stands for goes against his wishes and teachings, especially the worship of himself as a god. He tried to stamp out religion entirely to weaken the Chaos Gods, and was fully willing to broker peace with alien species whenever possible.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we are still whinging on 'Reality TV', can I put forward The Amazing Race.

A bunch of drat near stereotypical "ugly Americans" supposedly running a race around the planet, but was instead was a film crew following stupid people screaming at taxi drivers, and ignoring anything cool about the awesome exotic places they are getting to visit for free whilst bickering amongst each other.

Seriously, maybe this is a personal petty bugbear, but it really shat me the way that they were in some of the coolest places in the world, yet all they did was run from airport to taxi and getting increasingly frustrated that a villager in Guatemala doesn't understand English well enough to give them detailed directions to the next checkpoint. Completely missing out on every single thing that makes travel cool.

There was also an Australian series I remember that had a chubby avuncular muslim bloke and his brother who always came last because they would have to pray at set times during the day, and thus would be quickly and easily overtaken by the other contestants. (Surprisingly enough for Australia "land of casual racism", these two blokes became beloved of the general public.)

To be fair to the Amazing Race contestants, they were literally in the middle of a race. Don't exactly have the luxury of taking in the sights and sounds when you have to go fast for a prize (which was often some travel package they could actually take their time to enjoy)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I'd best describe the general message of most Gundam being 'war is bad, but we get it'. A good Gundam completely understands the personal levels to why people fight in wars, and while it has no respect for the people that start them or the people who do awful things like draft children into robot fights, it empathizes with the people who have to fight them. And part of that is 'wow cool robot', there's a respect for both the appeal of advanced war machines and the work that goes into them.

Iron Blooded Orphans is a good example of this. Literal child soldiers getting involved in a massive war of independence, initially because fighting is all they're good at. It really shows how they develop as people while trying (and often failing) to survive some of the most brutal fights in a Gundam series.

It's kind of a depression bomb, with how many horrible things happen across the series (a lot performed by the protagonists).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Photo-realistic Beaver was an amazing character and I loved that thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Yellow-skin gloves!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

God the loving tragedy if GoT ending is that it made me go back and re-watch battlestar galactica during the pandemic because the gold star of lovely ending of a good show was that til GoT and woo-boy it wears it's ppst 9/11 poo poo like a badge of honour

Speaking of things not aging well (it was never a good episode): The main ship on BSG running into another ship that put its Cylons in a literal rape dungeon, and then attempted to do the same with a guy's Cylon wife from the main ship. :ughh:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Wasn't there already a pilot for a sitcom where the group was Al-Qaeda sleeper cell that was activated but really didn't want to do stuff because they liked living in the Western world, or a I thinking some MAD-TV skit?

In addition to everything above, it actually was a MadTV skit, too.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Closed Fist had a few choices that really followed the philosoohy it was supposed to be. The big one everyone remembers is that instead of scaring or fighting a slaver yourself, you give the prospective slave a knife and tell her to take her own freedom, and she murders the buyer with her own hands. Or justifying not saving a town during a drought, because there will be more water shortages in the future, and if the village can't handle this one on their own, they are screwed.

Wouldn't mind someone else making a redo of Jade Empire that actually keeps Open/Closed Fist consistent across the whole game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The episode of Stabler's bullshit that still sticks out the most to me is when he stalked a pedophile who was legitimately working to better himself and was keeping his urges under control. Stabler pretended to be a pedophile himself, and kept needling and egging the guy on to start raping kids again, until the guy finally snapped and did kidnap a kid. The guy ended up killing himself by jumping off a building.

It was such a massively lovely thing to do, I'm surprised it wasn't meant to be an opportunity to write Stabler out of the show.

Of course, even after they did write Stabler out of SVU, they ended up giving him his own show and he still has crossover episodes with SVU. :ughh:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Aces High posted:

they did finally wise up to this for 3 by giving Male Shep non-hetero options. Kinda too bad it took them 3 games and ~6 years for that to be a thing but hey at least it finally happened. Despite the Asari being designed as female I always liked them being modelled as monogendered, but much like that episode of Star Trek where Riker gets with a member of a similar race, god forbid we cast/design that individual as androgynous

There is the conversation where Liara's other parent calls Shepard "an anthropocentric bag of dicks" when Shepard says "If you were human, you would both be called her mom."

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

How did any of you forget Farmer With A Shotgun?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Alaois posted:

remember Antz

I remember the horrific battle against the termite nest, with all those soldiers screaming in agony as they got sprayed with acid.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The biggest example was Anko. She shows up, is introduced as fuckin Orochimaru's Student from before he left the village, then completely vanishes from the series until the very last arc and only then as an unconscious kidnap victim.

At least Lee got to beat Sasuke's rear end once and have that rad fight against Gaara. Everyone else got to do something, no matter how minor, but Anko didn't get poo poo.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Shenron is free to interpret wishes however he wants, like all genies. When Frieza was wished back to life, Shenron brought him back as he was the exact moment before he got killed by Trunks: as a pile of Frieza chunks.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

isnt the literal " "gently caress POWER LEVELS!" (and gently caress SSJs)" line from DBZA? dont really remember the actual canon.

The exact line is, but it was still a scene of Tien hitting extremely above his weight class and saving everyone else's life in the process by holding Cell off until Goku showed up.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

My biggest irrational zombie "these people are idiots" peeve is the Walking Dead arc where a swarm of a few hundred zombies trap people in their heavily fortified walled town full of weapons, tools, raw materials, and a few weeks of food and water. It goes off onto a thing where the town people are despairing/hoping for outside rescue instead of "Make some long pointy sticks, everybody has a quota to poke 5 zombies a day while standing on top of the wall"

Z Nation was so much better about that kind of thing. At one point, the main group set up in a normal suburban house, but they put up a short electric fence and would just easily brain the stuck zombies in shifts. Or the completely safe and relatively happy walled community, which only fell because a crazy cult infiltrated and killed themselves specifically to become zombies and kill everyone.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

Oedipus

It's weird how Oedipus became the patron saint of intentional mother/son incest, when he didn't know she was his mom and finding out she was his mom caused her to kill herself and him to blind himself.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

If haskid = true then milf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Never forget that an actual USA Supreme Court Justice defended torture by referencing Jack Bauer.