Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah man I'm totally... shaking with rage here...?

Don't think they were saying you were the one shaking in rage. And yes, women still get poo poo on in STEM all the time, but I'm glad your class wasn't like that. Shows me there's hope it can be like that everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Just watched the first two Columbo movies because of this thread, and they really hold up. He doesn't even get the person to confess. The first one he turns the accomplice and the second he gets the perpetrator to break out the ransom money for a payoff. Works really well.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A generic complaint but as someone who enjoys mysteries and police procedurals its really annoying when the solution to the mystery relies on knowing the intricacies of a piece of technology which became obsolete 3 years after the 40 year episode aired.
Columbo was really bad about this. My favorite episode is the magician one thanks to the murderer being played by 3-time guest star Jack Cassidy who earned that spot by having amazing chemistry with Falk, the disposable sidekick completely falling for Cassidy's alibi making a great contrast with Columbo and Cassidy's motive of hiding his past as a Nazi war criminal being arguably the strongest and most interesting in the series.
Then the solution ends up relying on [spoiler]knowing the difference between typewriters with balls and ones with ribbons and it sucks having it rely on something nobody under the age of 40 would pick up on because the writers at the time assumed it common knowledge.

I remember that episode! I don't think the writers thought it was common knowledge, because they go to lengths to explain early in the episode how that's a fancy typewriter that uses a carbon ribbon instead of ink and the sidekick used one at the academy

I haven't watched that episode in years, and I'm only on season 2 rewatching it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

muscles like this! posted:

Alias? I don't think anyone talks about that show anymore.

That's because the final season poo poo the bed worse than season 7 of Gilmore Girls.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wish there was a listing site for murder houses or haunted houses that are being sold for dirt cheap because I would buy either in a heart beat. What's a ghost gonna do? Rattle plates until it wakes me up from my drunken stupor? Ha, good luck. Or a murder house. How many separate murders can take place in one house? I'm sure statistically speaking I'd be safer from murder in a murder house than a non-muder house.

You know the saying "lightning never strikes twice"? That’s a lie. It hits the same spot. Over and over again.

Murder is the same way. 32 people have died in my house since I moved in.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

insta posted:

Washing your cumsock isn't murder.

If your sperm count is 32, you may want to speak to a doctor, dude.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Len posted:

You guys got me trying to track down a show from the mid 90s now and I'm having no luck.

It was a power rangers esque show with teenagers who fight bad guys in robots(?) and all I remember about it was I saved up to get the combining action figure set and it was no articulation and was super boring. I want to say the legs were formed out of a tank like vehicle that slid over an Ultraman looking guys legs but I could be wrong.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Superhuman samurai syber squad

Seconded. I've got the toys.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gertrude Perkins posted:

There's also the much more recent Word Crimes, where he uses the word "spastic", which is absoluely a "no don't do this" slur against disabled people in many places, especially the UK.

It's absolutely not like that in North America though, and it leads to some pretty hideous misunderstandings. Like that scene in Clerks 2.

I'm better now though.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Solice Kirsk posted:

That would have been a good comedy about having a kid. You know, if the main character got an abortion and nothing at all changed.

Sadly we got "Knocked Up," which was a terrible movie when it came out, and is worse now.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

dirksteadfast posted:

The only bit of Columbo I’ve ever seen aged pretty poorly. I can’t remember the specific details, but it was something along the lines of someone’s time of death or alibi hinging on the fact that they saved a file on their computer at X o’clock. To which Columbo asked “Can’t you change the time on these things?”

Please elaborate on how that’s aged poorly?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

food court bailiff posted:

From the last page, but you guys talking about how you never meet Columbo's wife know she had her own spinoff series, right? You never see her in Columbo itself but she's played by Kate Mulgrew in "Mrs. Columbo". It had two seasons.

You never see Peter Falk in Mrs. Columbo, but it’s done much worse because their kid is always "Where’s dad?"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GrandpaPants posted:

Nerd culture is desperate for validation despite being mainstream as gently caress now.

Most nerds hate that show. The term "nerd blackface" was unironically used.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Arivia posted:

No, it's true. His toupee was named George, from what I remember. Roddenberry was all "IN THE FUTURE THEY WILL HAVE SOLVED BALDNESS" and everything.

Maybe they solved it, but what if some choose it? Huh Gene? WHAT THEN?!

Just out-argued a dead guy. :smugdog:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Patrick looks like Aaron Eckhart

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dexie posted:

I lost a bet over this and had to buy dinner for two of my friends.

For future reference, The Social Network did NOT star Michael Cera. :sigh:

Wait, what?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gaunab posted:

If it helps you get over the fact that I found them all similar, I didn't really like The Departed.

Well it explains why you found them similar, but now I'm going to have to question your taste in movies. :colbert:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GrandpaPants posted:

Peach's game was Mario 2 where she was the objectively best character.

Also Mario Kart and Tennis.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SpacePig posted:

Sorry but both of these games have Daisy and Waluigi, so no way is Peach the best character in them.

No Daisy in Mario Kart 64, objectively the Best Mario Kart. I will fite you over this.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like daytime running lights were a late 90's/early 2000's trend that was generally unpopular and quietly phased out because it made you look like a dork and didn't actually provide any real benefit.

Wrong, 2x. They're still around and provide great benefit. Benefits vary but all studies find a reduction in number of multi-vehicle accidents

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sad thing is that's pretty much 99% of the representation Native Americans got or seem to ever get. When the stereotypes became distasteful it seems like they disappeared from media. About the only non-stereotypical Native American I can think of on a mainstream show is John Redcorn, and even he still parodies elements of the stereotype.

Also surprised that a lot of Americans seem genuinely under the impression that native Americans are extinct.

Northern Exposure. That was totally mainstream.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mooseontheloose posted:

I love Quantum Leap and am now afraid of watching it again to see if any of the writing has aged poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I think Agent 47 should be like the Equalizer. Poor saps come in with problems with powerful people, and then he walks up and shoots them in the face. Nothing is done because :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Torquemada posted:

I think there’s specifically one where someone explains the moon landings to him, and by the end he stops thinking they’re faked.

That’s what actually got me to stop thinking Joe’s an rear end in a top hat, and realize dude just genuinely doesn’t know. And is even willing to learn! Rare af.