Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember one Hey Arnold episode where he sees a classmate in a bunny costume so the classmate puts him through a ton of horrible poo poo, only for Arnold to just not forgive the guy at all. Seemed super out of place for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Even the animators hated this episode. Iggy never had a role in an episode again.

I was wondering who the kid was, since Hey Arnold had a big memorable cast, but it's kinda funny that episode turned out so bad he was just dropped.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

ghost emoji posted:

There's an episode of King of the Hill where Hank's license plate says he's a woman and he has to jump thru hoops to get it fixed. His doctor says he can't write a note verifying his gender without doing blood work and other tests, and Hank has a really uncomfortable line:

It's like watching Ace Ventura again. Lots of casual transphobia in the 90s.

Wasn't there also a KotH episode where Peggy becomes friends with a crossdressing man and the show kinda goes all over the place with it. Hank couldn't even come to terms that it was even the same person and it was a brother and sister or something like that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Bobby I think just has that weird episode where he listens to Bill give advice about Connie that really brings him down. Outside of that I can't think of any episode where he's outright creepy towards a girl, but it's been a while since I've seen the later seasons.

I always saw it as him and Hank would kinda switch roles. Sometimes Bobby would get into a fad that Hank knew would end badly and be the responsible one, and in others Bobby is doing something normal but different than Hank's view, and Hank has to adapt.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's not just the Duggars. Almost every show that follows a family on that channel ends up with something hosed up about them, and it's usually pedophilia.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That 70's Show is almost the perfect example of a show that went on one season too long. They had everyone find their path in life, then they get another season where everyone is still hanging out in Erik's basement despite him being in another country, and you have a new guy show up who's the good parts of Erik and Kelso without any of their flaws, and kind of becomes the leader character of the group.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Adam Sandler movie I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry was on TV and that movie probably didn't even age well in the first week it came out. For a movie that came out in the late 00's it's like a bad sitcom from the early 90's.

I know Adam Sandler isn't a quality movie source, but even for him it stands out as bad.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Didn't Flanders start off as a normal guy who got way into religion, almost in an over the top way where it just became joke after joke?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMnuz0wdqdU

Speaking of a commercial that didn't age well at the start.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think there was an image of Haley Joel Osment in a movie role that went around where he looked really weird, so people just kind of assumed that's how he looked all the time now.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm pretty sure one of the creators even admitted he wished they didn't make Robin not the mother.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I always thought the Dundee's episode was supposed to be intentionally cringey, considering the only person who seemed to enjoy it was a super drunk Pam.

The Office episode I think goes too far is the one where Michael does his best to ruin Phyllis's wedding. I think only Scott's Tots is harder to watch cringe wise.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Dinner Party episode might be the best episode at making you feel bad for Michael currently. Jim and Pam desperate to escape and Dwight bringing his babysitter are so good despite being kind of a dark episode.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Toby is also the one person on the show not to get any kind of happy ending too.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

King of Foolians posted:

Creed also didn't get a happy ending but I'm amazed that literally everyone else got a super happy ending and it still didn't come off as too contrived.

Creed gets caught for whatever he did but shows up later in disguise and seems genuinely okay with things. Toby is miserable and alone, and when Pam asks if things are okay he just says no and starts crying.

Weirdly enough Ryan and Kelly's ending involved abandoning a husband and baby and it still made sense.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They really dragged out the Angela/Dwight kid thing. It was originally going to be early on when Angela's actress was pregnant but cut it during the Writers Strike, then when she did have a kid in show they made it kind of obvious it was Dwight's kid, but still didn't do anything about it til the final episode.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rollersnake posted:

I watched that with my housemates back in college, and it was interesting, but we all kinda hated it by the end. They really tried to wring every last drop of drama out of it in the final episodes, and it became just as tedious and obnoxious as the shows I thought it was satirizing.

I never knew there was a second season, and the Wikipedia article makes it sound better than the first.

The second season they do 2 people to trick, but one of them figures it out so they try to work her into the joke.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One of the plots they considered for Dexter would have been his dad actually being alive and following him around the whole time. I’m almost disappointed they didn’t go with it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Samuringa posted:

Like, those visions he had would actually have been his actual father all along? That'd be hilarious.

Yeah, it was one of the plans for the last season. It would be terrible writing but enjoyable to me at least.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The last season did give us the treadmill moment though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Fox News made a big deal of the AC3 DLC where George Washington goes mad with power and becomes a dictator.

It's also a much better story than the main game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If I remember right TommyKnockers is another one King has no recollection of writing at all.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9B0-HFkpT4

The DK series apparently was one of the first shows to do full body CGI, but used it to make a new Kong like this.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Samuringa posted:

They made an impression notable enough that many people began avoiding comedy movies just in case it was from them.

I think at one point they admitted they stopped watching the actual movies and would just look at trailers and posters.

So you got really awkward stuff like a horrifying panda costume going "I'm Kung-Fu Panda!" and that's the joke before they cut away.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought Seinfeld made a joke that went "People are on their phones all the time now like a gay French king!" and when the reaction wasn't what he wanted. People weren't offended, they just didn't think it was a good bit.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They speed up some older shows now for commercial room, and it makes whinier characters like Ross from friends sound even worse.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My mom and sister loved 7th Heaven, and I remember them having the worst musical episode ever. Musical episodes in the first place are probably super hard to pull off well, but theirs would be in competition for outright worst.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Solice Kirsk posted:

Anyone remember the terrible fake spin off episode in The Office when they were going to try and make a Dwight spinoff called The Farm? I don't know why they even aired that episode. You can tell they tried to cut it so that it fit into the last seasons run, but man was it bad. Not "Stairpocalypse" or "The Banker" bad, but really very bad.

They bring back one of the people for a plot later on but that's literally the only connection they have, its so out of place.

They didn't even use Moze really and he's usually what people like about Dwight's farm scenes.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Milo and POTUS posted:

Stairpocalypse?

I think that's just the point where they had no idea where to go so Dwight's weird stuff really got a big focus. Some of it was probably to help sell the Dwight spin off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0omJb6sa8

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

dirksteadfast posted:

Some sitcom from the 90s (I’m blanking on which one) had an episode where the characters visited England. One of them was trying to get a picture of the queen, which resulted in him awkwardly shouting “Nobody move! I just need one clear shot,” or something like that. He was then immediately tackled to the ground, presumed to be a gunman.

Something about that whole scene aged poorly. Or multiple things. For various reasons.

I only know this from Full House Reviewed where a man goes insane watching it, but that’s the ending tag just thrown on an episode because one of the daughter’s new rich boyfriends though it would be a good idea to bring a man child to meet the queen.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then again, this is also the same show where a grown woman hides in her hair when she's upset and we're supposed to view her as a functional adult so a man who's like 15 years her senior and her boss can date her.

I don’t think we were ever supposed to see Erin as someone who didn’t have issues, but they had to be really desperate to push an Erin/Gabe/Andy love triangle as a main plot.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I mean if you want an episode that isn't bad but hasn't aged well the Christmas Party in Season 2 hasn't aged really well when a video iPod is the prize.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One thing I’ve noticed shows do less is have the families go to church at all. Usually there will be a church for a wedding, but I’m sure that’s most likely due to less people going to church now.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Is Lisa still Buddhist? I would have thought that would have gotten some outrage if a kid on a show had a big spiritual change like that and started practicing a non-Christian religion and didn’t go to church as a permanent story change

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s also The Todd, who starts out as your general sexual harassment character then gets an episode where he ends up being attracted to everything.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Malcolm himself got kind of annoying in the later seasons, but at the same time they did focus on the other cast more then too.

Plus Reese numbing his lower half to fight Stevie, only for Stevie to come in with robot walker legs to beat him up was great.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

duck trucker posted:

It's been a while since I've seen that episode but I thought the McPoyle's claimed they were molested and Charlie was the one who knew they were lying.

Charlie was molested, the McPoyles hop on the wagon, and Mac is jealous that he wasn’t molested

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Early on JD is show to be ahead of the pack once he gets used to being in a hospital. Elliot was the one who tended to have the plots where she was openly struggling more. Turk is similar but it's made a point that he has really good bedside manner for a surgeon.

I was watching early Malcolm in the Middle episodes, and there's an episode where they go to the gifted kid picnic, one of the mothers complains to Lois that Malcolm taught all the other kids the "r" word, which is treated like a non thing. I don't know if they meant it to be a really inoffensive word or they meant to use retard, but either way with how out of favor the word has become it hasn't aged the joke as well as another letter.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rugrats also had plots with focus on the parents in the early episodes that I remember. There's a recycling one and also another one with a Jeopardy rip off where the mom picks a dumb prize with the money I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Tiggum posted:

Going back to Scrubs for a moment, I just remembered how they had a big dramatic episode where they killed off a long-standing tertiary character (Laverne) only to recast the same actor as an identical character with a different name. What the gently caress was going on there? Who thought that was a good idea?

I think the story was they thought it was the last season so they wanted some emotional weight with a dead character but oops they got renewed and felt bad she was gone so they brought her back.

Should have had it be one of the even more tertiary characters like Colonel Doctor or Snoop Dog Resident