Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Torquemada posted:

As a resident of the UK, I’m here to tell you that irrespective of age, colour or social class, the fact that you can’t be extrajudicially murdered at whim by the vast majority of police persons makes the whole situation a lot less tense. If you get killed by police in the UK, it’s assumed that something went badly wrong somewhere. In the US it’s business as usual.

As an outsider looking in at the US system, could the problem be the everything, and to fix it you should just... start again?

Also, I've been doing a rewatch of Arrested Development for the first time in ages. Just hit season 3. It's... uh... it's aged bad, guys. Like, real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Cleretic posted:

The most positive thing I can say about the Matrix sequels is that I'm still really excited about the fourth one they announced they're doing.

The Matrix sequels are my favorite kind of bad: ambitious and uncharted. Yeah, they hosed up, but I can't point you to anyone who did it better because the thing they tried to do basically just didn't exist (and probably still doesn't). It's a hell of a lot better to have in the world than Justice League failing at being something we already got in The Avengers, or Star Wars failing at being something we already got in Star Wars.

Thank you for putting into words the weird feeling I've had about the Matrix sequels for years. They had the makings of something unique and great, and they don't get enough credit for it.

Honestly, my biggest gripe is that I love the idea of the Merovingian and I don't think it was used enough. The idea of a sentient desktop recycle bin that HASN'T been clicking 'empty bin' after programs are deleted, but has been building a black market empire of discontinued programs? Show me more about that dude! I don't need more Neo, I want to hear toaster crime lord stories.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The David Lynch Dune after an ill-advised night discovering absinthe.

I did not care for the experience.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I'm not a US Goon, so I don't know what things are like on the ground over there - either now or as a general statement - but B99 seems to show the core group as being the mythical Good Cop and every one else as being terrible. Like... I legit thought the joke was how bad everyone else in the system was.

Either way - stay safe people. Everything I'm hearing sounds goddamn terrifying.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Tbf that was a whole century ago

So was everything else before 2020.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Nameless Pete posted:

But then there's no Tortoise IV where the Tortoise's violent and emotionally stunted raccoon brother-in-law builds a robot.

But by god there should be!

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: wierdo oldetimey songs.

Though not as cool or weird as the song's mentioned, Australia's unofficial national anthem is about a homeless sheep thief who, when busted by the cops, commits suicide by jumping into a lake.

Oh, and whilst I can't find it, I read a recent article that claimed the 1895 poem from which the song takes it's lyrics was an anti-tax analogy.

The official Australian national anthem is You're The Voice by John Farhnam and I refuse to debate the matter.

It has aged perfectly.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Is it true that even most Australians think their anthem is dull? I heard it in an Australian podcast (probably Do Go On).

I genuinely couldn't tell you how it went without googling it these days.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

My favourite soap opera - complete with ridiculous characters, storylines that make little to no sense, and a writers room pressed to keep up an insane schedule - is the WWE.

I was never into wrestling until I worked out it was a Sweat Opera.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The best thing about Exalted was watching the people responsible for that bullshit get turbo fired once the company got bought out.

The second best thing is a martial arts style that is based around spaghetti westerns, and I'll defend that till the day I die.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

It turns out that taking away the lazy approach to Slaanesh really let the creatives come up with some great ideas.

Once they released a mini that's a daemon playing a harp made out of some dude, and they were clear that the dude was a volunteer, I was sold that Slaanesh was gonna be neat moving forwards.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

beats for junkies posted:

Speaking of cartoons that are probably terrible, I had a soft spot for BraveStarr (cowboys in space or on a futuristic-but-old-West-themed planet or something) and SilverHawks (flying people in space, and one of the guys had a guitar that shot lasers when he played it). I don't remember much about the actual shows or characters other than the titular characters were obviously the heroes, and they had a cast of villains to fight. I do remember watching them a lot when I was a kid, though, alongside the usual He-Man, Thundercats, Voltron, and Transformers.

Silverhawks was my favourite cartoon as a kid, but when I revisited it when the internets let me download old shows, I thought the intro was super cringey.

Fast forwards fifteen years, and an older wiser Zarkov now realises that this theme song is kicking loving rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqsgLxuMhLE

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend handles depression, anxiety, alcoholism, intrusive thoughts and borderline personality disorder with more grace and compassion than I would ever have expected. It's honest in ways most shows aren't. It's just very, very good.

One day I'll work out how to get people to watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and not be immediately turned off by the title, premise, or structure.

A musical sitcom about a 'Crazy Ex-Gilfriend" dealing with mental health issues is possibly the least appealing show you could pitch to me, but I love it so much and want others to love it too.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

Is it worth watching if you don't like musicals?

The muscial numbers aren't really traditional musical numbers.

The Sexy Getting Ready Song is one of the first episode, non-spoilery songs, so it's a reasonable litmus test. If you get a chuckle from this, you'll like the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmWuNKabtM

There's a lot of genre parody songs and whatnot. Pretty solid overall.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Spazzle posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had this. All I remember of anything surrounding any of this was being somehow totally disgusted by the tar baby in maybe a body horror kind of way. I was too young to be aware of any of the other connotations around the rest of it.

So I've been casually scrolling past this chat cause I've never seen the movie, but the phrase "Tar baby body horror" just knocked an old scab off of some memories. I did see it. I remember the room, which places it at my kindergarten, and then it all came flooding back.

I do not care for it. No. No I do not.

(Also, I'm still not positive what I saw was from Song, but I'll die clean before I die with the phrase Tar Baby in my google search history.)

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Groke posted:

A tiger? In Africa?

The second I find out there's a shape shifting spider castrating member of my species in a region is the second I leave that region. So logically there was at least one tiger in Africa and then they all fled in absolute terror which makes sense.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Mescal posted:

is that show good?

The season 2 episode Ronny/Lily came out at the same week as the big nighttime battle in Game of Thrones and Avengers Endgame and had the best fight scene that week.

Also, Barry is a half hour show with eight episodes a season - you can blast through it in an afternoon and you'll be happier for it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Samovar posted:

There's a joke there about the XCom2 Snake enemies, but I can't make it.

Can't or won't, you coward.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I dunno, I tried to read Stranger in a Strange Land but personally I like books where women are actual people.

Ah, not a fan of 98% of science fiction I see.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

All this Mel Gibson talk means I am obliged to post this video. It is twenty minutes of your life you will not regret losing. It may be my favourite video on YouTube, and I've seen like eight or nine YouTube videos.

https://youtu.be/2UoHb0ziMDA

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

More like oldPostSlashAVcombo

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I can't be the only one annoyed that with all the new Trek stuff we haven't seen Bashir and Garak as an old married couple just rocking around the place and acting like Space Statler and Space Waldorf? Sitting in the background of every scene and tearing every occasion to absolute shreds.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Is there a Strange New Worlds thread anywhere?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I personally gave up on Cinemasins when I discovered Cinemawins, which is the same thing but pointing out everything great - even in films that aren't that good.

Turns out liking things is actually more fun than tearing them apart. So, guess the internet has got that wrong since it started.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I know very little of Superman

I recall Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and that's about as recent as I get

Honestly, you can just watch the new My Adventures With Superman and be done with the rest of it.

Just a super wholesome show that doesn't try to make supes edgy or grimdark. Who is he? He's a himbo with powers that wants to help people. Perfect, 10/10. no notes.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

It's really really bad, and TV is still terrible about portraying bisexuals, especially male ones.

Yet another reason Crazy Ex-girlfriend is one of the best shows I think I've ever seen.

Middle aged average looking guy comes out as bi. Gets into a healthy relationship. Gets a great couple of songs out of it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The best Christmas song IMO is Ben Caplan's version of O Holy Night purely because he removes every non-lyrical hint it may be a Christmas song. Christmas music is the absolute worst.

https://youtu.be/7PdZGY_JDnQ?si=x7HNwfqW2K0Ed_zy

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Just dropping into the thread to tell everyone to watch My Adventures With Superman because it's the animated version of the feeling you get when you're hugged by someone who makes you feel safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

yeah Jack looked more like she stepped out of a 90's World of Darkness rule book representing a hot Brujah, rather than a trauma survivor.

Jokes on you, I'm into that sort of crap.

Actually, having started to run a vampire game again recently, 99% of the books belong here. I thought the Book Of Nod was the height of style and cool when I was 16 and it was 1998. Turns out, no, no it isn't.