Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

I had the show on in the background the other day and when I heard Maeby tell George Michael that she had told STEVE HOLT that Lindsay was, "a tranny" I had to go back and make sure I'd heard that right. It kind of hosed me up.

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia sure called "Carmen the Tranny" that way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaunab posted:

I know there are Law and Order episodes that didn't age well but I can't think of any specific ones at the moment.

There's an episode of the original L&O that aired in like the first season that was about AIDS and so now when its on they put a disclaimer at the end saying the info is out of date. Mainly because it was done before before there were effective anti-AIDS drugs so the characters treat it like an almost instant death sentence.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I remember Disney Doug made weird changes to the characters, like suddenly Roger and his mother were loaded.

Disney's Doug really screwed up everything that made the show unique. Like was previously mentioned Doug was supposed to be a show about a normal kid having normal kid problems and then Disney's Doug started and everything started becoming completely outlandish.

FELD1 posted:

I remember seeing something floating around the web about how Mr. Frond (from Bob's Burgers) dresses really similarly to Doug, and that Mr. Frond is a representation of Doug as an adult: a broken, deluded human waste who still desperately wants to do good in the world. Sounds about right.

Nah, Mr Frond is a callback to a character that was used in King of the Hill (there's a lot of overlap behind the scenes.) Hank ends up having to go to an anger management class and the teacher looks like this:

He was played by David Herman, who also voices Mr Frond.

Edit: This is what Mr Frond looks like for those who don't know.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Aug 6, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

The idea of "The Six Million Dollar Man" cracks me up nowadays but basically just because of the price tag. I'm surprised they're never rebooted that show.

About 10 years ago they did a remake of The Bionic Woman but it flopped and was canceled after one season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaunab posted:

I think you either imagined that episode or are confusing King of the Hill with another show.

He has it kind of right, Hank WANTED to open a general store after quitting Strickland Propane when Buck passes him over as a temporary manager after Buck has yet another heart attack. He never gets further than dreaming about it before he goes back to work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing you need to know about 24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Leave it to Beaver had a toilet in it but they were only allowed to show the top of the tank and nothing of the bowl.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Doesn't rent-control usually only apply to people who live in a place at the time the rent-control is enacted, and then the landlord can jack up the rent when the old tenant leaves and a new one moves in? So any of these people in these shows buying or wanting to move into so-called "rent-controlled" buildings wouldn't be getting that sweet low rent anyway, right?

My understanding of the situation (from watching a bunch of Law & Order) is that rent control would stay if you were related to the person who originally lived there when the price was fixed. So you can't just move in to a rent controlled apartment, you have to have some kind of "in."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

On a lighter note, season 3 had an overarching plotline about a campus rapist that was at one point going to be played by Michael Cera and he even appears in the premiere as a tour guide before scheduling conflicts made him give up the role. Even back then the cute little nerdy kid from Arrested Development playing a rapist is pretty :wtc:, I can't imagine how differently his career could have gone if he had taken that role.

Well, if you really want to play "what if?" with Michael Cera's career he actually auditioned for The Sixth Sense back in the day. That would have certainly propelled his career in a different direction.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Philip Seymour Hoffman (I think) and Matt Damon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He didn't want anything to do with movie adaptations long before Watchmen. IIRC his main issue with adaptations is that people were constantly bugging him about them when he had (and wanted) no involvement. Like he asked for his name to be taken off credits after V for Vendetta when Joel Silver started making claims that he approved of what they were doing with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those sure are a lot of TV shows that haven't aged well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They kind of did that for the last season. Topher Grace announced he was leaving at the end of the previous season so they cast Bret Harrison as "Charlie" the son of one of Red's old war buddies. He was very clearly written as the New Eric character but he was so bad that when the show came back the next season they killed him off-screen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Perestroika posted:

That reminds me of the season 2 finale of The O.C.. Now, I haven't actually watched that show myself, but apparently it was a fairly dramatic moment complete with a character death and everything. And then they put it to this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D46LisJJzBQ

Thing that didn't age well from that video, Ben McKenzie's hair.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although the funny thing is that Tom Cruise hurt himself doing a stunt so they had to take a six week break on filming MI. So he totally could have just shaved it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Or, you know, just a regular fake mustache.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alias? I don't think anyone talks about that show anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the first Donnie Yen Ip Man the main bad guy is a Japanese soldier who fights using Karate and its shown as super tough.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe Groening eventually talked about the black Smithers thing and it was just a coloring error. They had quite a few problems with the studio they originally went with including having to basically redo the entire episode about the babysitter who robs people because everything was completely off model and out of style for the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SEX BURRITO posted:

I think that's a reference to the mini golf episode where she's using philosophy to help Bart become a better golfer.

Flanders is a completely different character in that episode. He gets angry and petty, and at the end of the episode it's mentioned he used to be in a frat.

Also part of the reason Homer gets pissed off is that Ned has a basement bar where he has beer on tap.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

There was an episode of Bullshit about the fitness industry and they raised some valid points but the overall message was Penn screaming "I'm just big booooned!" into the void.

I gave up on the show when they started defending sweatshops.

The funny thing is that years later he lost a bunch of weight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's weird watching shows from the mid/late 90s where smoking was still kinda okay, especially when those shows run long enough to later use it to signify that a character is unlikeable.

Yeah, in the 80s smoking became a punchline to show a character was stressed but not shown as something bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Almost entirely after the revival. The original run is still gold, but sadly no longer on Netflix.

Hulu got the rights to everything recently so it will be on there soon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Volcott posted:

Shoulda just given her a smock like on Voyager.

The tv show Lucifer had a pretty funny way to deal with an actresses' pregnancy, she went to Canada and wore big bulky coats.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of crazy how much stuff nowadays just gets changed in post. Like a bunch of actors are covered in tattoos (like Nicolas Cage) and they have to be removed for pretty much any movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Early Red Dwarf was such a better show than later.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The dub talk reminds me of a really weird decision made when Fox got the rights to Escaflowne. They didn't air the first episode and instead started it on the second with just a recap of the first. Which was really stupid since the first episode sets up the entire plot of the show but it didn't have the titular armor so, gently caress it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Olympus posted:

It’s not like this is a bad marketing decision limited purely to the U.S. dub industry; Victory Gundam’s original run in Japan got the same treatment. Episode 1 in terms of plot is Episode 4 and it ends on “hey here’s how we got here” and then airs what was supposed to be 1/2/3 as 2/3/4.

It was because as the director had it, the Gundam itself wasn’t going to be in the first episode so that had to change.

There was also the Yu Gi Oh anime which even in Japan cut out the beginning of the story to get right to the part where he plays fake MTG. This means it completely glosses over the whole thing about Yugi getting possessed by ancient Egyptian king who straight up ironic revenge stuff to bad people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This season premier was about her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the only other big name they had at the time was Albert Brooks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I never watched Mad TV after the first season or whatever but I remember a big problem they had was overly milking recurring characters. If a character proved popular they would put a sketch with them in just about every episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

I remember liking the Eddie Murphy stuff in SNL but that might be nostalgia talking.

The crazy thing to remember about Eddie Murphy and SNL is that he was 19 years old when he got on that show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Didn't the original mom complain vaguely recently that she wasn't invited to a reunion, or something like that?

There was a Family Matters reunion photo shoot and they didn't invite the actress who played the daughter who vanished from the show and never got referenced again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I feel like I hallucinated this but I remember them asking Trump at the roast if he's going to run for president and he said he wasn't going to.

The one joke type that Trump banned from his roast was anyone making jokes about how much money he had. You could imply that he wanted to sleep with his own daughter all you wanted but you couldn't say he was really poor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When Rimmer leaves the show and they add alternate universe Kristine Kochanski the whole premise falls apart.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

This put me in mind of the series of Are You Being Served they did where they were all old people in, I think, the 90s.

It also had a really weird premise where a bunch of people who worked together now live together as they all as a group inherited a house in the country.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He'll show up because NBC will pay him big bucks for the most milquetoast, low effort poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about the "making copies" bit was how he got to redo it in a commercial but then blew it by making anti-vax statements.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best part about Ray is that is pretty much just how Adam Reed sounds when he talks normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Original L&O started in 89 which was still in the bad days of NYC and crime. So a lot of early episode focus on the city being a shithole with drugs everywhere and all sorts of slums.