Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Atmus posted:

I started looking into it and found out that Family Matters is a spin off of Perfect Strangers. What the gently caress, man

:wtf:

I thought it was a spin off of Full House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The mom was an elevator operator in Chicago where Cousin Larry worked? Also I had no idea I somehow know any of this information off the top of my head.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Solice Kirsk posted:

You know what did age well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1NKoMNy5bY

No idea why they ever got rid of it.

I've never seen this before and :eyepop:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's a few issues with Fresh Prince but most of it isn't social stuff that makes you go "Huh".

-I feel like Carlton and Hillary both got very little character development. Carlton's still a conniving, arrogant dick with very little self-awareness. Hillary is still a super vapid self involved ditz. It feels like everybody got to grow on the show except them. Phil lightens up, Vivian becomes a bit more even handed with Will, Geoffrey becomes less of a cliche, and Ashley grops in the way you'd expect somebody would from the age of about 10 to their late teens.

carlton grows a lot...he's a super pretentious uptight caricature of a prep school student at the beginning, totally disconnected from black culture, and incredibly naive

by the end, he still has traits that reflect his original ones, but he isn't that person anymore. carlton is the focus of many episodes and almost all of those feature a minor change in his character, and those add up to a big shift over the course of six seasons. the original carlton would have never done the carlton dance, or gambled away tons of money in vegas, or even have the close friendship with will that latter-seasons carlton does

hillary...yeah. it was often funny how self-aware the show was about hillary simply shrugging off every opportunity for character development without changing at all, but maybe a bit over-done

Jazerus has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Dec 12, 2017

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

MikeCrotch posted:

Seeing old interviews from Babylon 5 where the cast commented on how difficult and crazy the guy who played Sinclair was is a lot more difficult to watch after it was revealed he was a paranoid schizophrenic, and had to quit acting because of his mental health problems.

They gave his character a hell of a send off though!

You'd swear it was planned from day 1 if it wasn't for the slightly awkward way they did the the Sinclair-Sheriden switch off-screen during the S1-S2 break.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With something that did age well I feel Roseanne did fairly well with gay portrayals - nothing Leon did outside his wedding was because he was gay. He was a businessman, recovering alcoholic and rival to Roseanne before he was gay, even if he was somewhat fey. He was always a strong character and personality without having to play to the fact that his character was gay, that was background with some plot elements, not his entire identity. Nancy was weird, but that was just because it was her, she spent most of her early time in a heterosexual relationship before meeting her girlfriend later on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How did Roseanne herself end up going from would-be Green Party candidate to hardcore Trump supporter? :confused:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

How did Roseanne herself end up going from would-be Green Party candidate to hardcore Trump supporter? :confused:

maybe she developed another personality that is a fuckin idiot

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Even from her Comedy Central Roast it is pretty obvious that she is not mentally very well balanced person.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Atmus posted:

I started looking into it and found out that Family Matters is a spin off of Perfect Strangers. What the gently caress, man

And all this time I thought it was a Die Hard spinoff.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wait really? I knew she hardcore hated trans women but I didn't know she was that far down the rabbit hole.

Instant Sunrise has a new favorite as of 20:59 on Dec 12, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Der Kyhe posted:

Even from her Comedy Central Roast it is pretty obvious that she is not mentally very well balanced person.

So she and Trump are a perfect match, really.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

So she and Trump are a perfect match, really.

Didn't Donald's Roast have that one stupid gently caress from the MTV reality TV momentually bomb on the stage?

Obviously it was an inside job to make everyone else much better.

EDIT: Yes! "The Situation" from Jersey Shore was so bad that the other comedians ran in to keep the thing afloat. Also, hi to all DHS agents who are reading this message due to the red flagging with Trump and bombs and such.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Dec 12, 2017

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
the most awkward thing with "the situation" in that roast wasnt his roast, it was watching him in the background desperately trying to be chummy with snoop dog and snoop dog pulling away every time. and iirc he did a slavery joke that snoop dog really didnt like that got cut from the show.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I feel like I hallucinated this but I remember them asking Trump at the roast if he's going to run for president and he said he wasn't going to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rosanne says poo poo to get a reaction.

She generally supports working class ideas though and Trump supported those same platforms, at least with his good words. Not so much his bigly actions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I feel like I hallucinated this but I remember them asking Trump at the roast if he's going to run for president and he said he wasn't going to.

The one joke type that Trump banned from his roast was anyone making jokes about how much money he had. You could imply that he wanted to sleep with his own daughter all you wanted but you couldn't say he was really poor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

Rosanne says poo poo to get a reaction.

She generally supports working class ideas though and Trump supported those same platforms, at least with his good words. Not so much his bigly actions.

Sure, but her Twitter is replete with reposted Breitbart and InfoWars articles.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

The one joke type that Trump banned from his roast was anyone making jokes about how much money he had. You could imply that he wanted to sleep with his own daughter all you wanted but you couldn't say he was really poor.

...Which is stupid because demonstrably his personal and family wealth is still loving massive compared to anyone here, or most places anywhere.

But he does have that weirdish way of calculating his name brand into the personal wealth, which probably exists to get him from the low-end of the billionaire spectrum to the high-middle, but still regardless of everything else, he is a member of the 0.0000001% club where the actual numbers are meaningless to him or his immediate family.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015
It sounds like Roseanne has been kinda nuts her whole life, half of it sounds like she had a really lovely childhood. She got hit in the head so hard when she was a teenager that she was institutionalized due to the massive change in her behaviour resulting from the brain damage. Now she has some kind of degenerative illness that's making her go blind. :smith:
You see a lot of weird, erratic behaviour in people that have gone through a trauma like that - Tila Tequila is some kind of insane neo-nazi now because she almost died and her brain got all hosed up

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

It sounds like Roseanne has been kinda nuts her whole life, half of it sounds like she had a really lovely childhood. She got hit in the head so hard when she was a teenager that she was institutionalized due to the massive change in her behaviour resulting from the brain damage. Now she has some kind of degenerative illness that's making her go blind. :smith:
You see a lot of weird, erratic behaviour in people that have gone through a trauma like that - Tila Tequila is some kind of insane neo-nazi now because she almost died and her brain got all hosed up

It's Phineas Gage writ famous.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

There was a crossover episode where Urkel showed up to harass the Tanner family. He was a cousin of one of the very few recurring black characters on the show, of course.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Blue Moonlight posted:

There was a crossover episode where Urkel showed up to harass the Tanner family. He was a cousin of one of the very few recurring black characters on the show, of course.

I thought he showed up to harass Step By Step, not Full House

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Choco1980 posted:

I thought he showed up to harass Step By Step, not Full House

Probably both? TGIF did crossover stuff fairly frequently, and Steve Urkel was stupidly popular for a while there.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Every now and then the Step by Step theme pops into my head and then I'll go "wait, that wasn't the theme to Full House"

I know I watched the show but have only the vaguest of memories now and constantly get it confuse with Full House.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I remember when Family Matters was like a working class Cosby Show and then once they decided Steve was going to be the main focus they had time travel episodes and puppets coming to life and Steve cloning himself.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Wait, so most working class families don't have access to machine to change their DNA to Bruce Lee's so they can beat up biker gangs?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Maybe in the 90s but in this economy you'd be lucky if you could afford a machine that gives you Bruce Li DNA.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I remember when Family Matters was like a working class Cosby Show and then once they decided Steve was going to be the main focus they had time travel episodes and puppets coming to life and Steve cloning himself.

They didn't have a choice. The eyeballs simply aren't on anyone but Steve. Iirc, the show had terrible ratings, and the supposed-to-be-a-one-off character of Urkel saved the show.

poo poo, wasn't the mom on Family Matters supposed to be the kinda-sorta Main Character? Carl took off, and then Steve really took off.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Dec 13, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mad scientists of colour are still criminally underrepresented.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't believe you didn't mention Myrtle and Stefan Urquelle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Jaleel White did an anti-sex rap in character as Urkel? That was pretty strange.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember when Jaleel White was Sonic the Hedgehog and his brother and sister? (but not when they were singing)

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

I can't believe you didn't mention Myrtle and Stefan Urquelle.

Let's not also forget OGD- Original Gangsta Dawg, and Robo-Urkel.

All right nerds, if you're not ready to talk Serious Family Matters, duck and cover. I'm about to drop some atomic knowledge bombs.

Family Matters wasn't just a spin-off of Perfect Strangers, it's the epicenter of a sprawling, interconnected universe: the Miller-Boyette Cinematic Universe, also known as the Miller-Boyetteverse. Who sits at the eye of that spinning, whirling miasma of 90s sitcoms?

Who the gently caress do you think.

A man died to deliver this knowledge to me; what we have here is the partial map of the live action Miller-Boyetteverse.

Family Matters connects to Perfect Strangers, its ancestor, which canonically also link to Happy Days (through a toilet purchase at Cunningham Hardware, referred to as the Time Toilet for brevity's sake), which from there connects to Mork & Mindy and Laverne & Shirley. PS also links to Stranger Things thanks to the sketch Perfect Stranger Things. We also get Meego, but it only lasted 13 episodes and, frankly, gently caress Meego.

On the Full House side we have Urkel as the common thread, as a guest on Full House; FH then connects to Fuller House (FH2), Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, and a contentious connection to Golden Girls through the Donatello Triplets (below), known only by their last name on GG, and only by their first names on Full House. Whether they're truly the same characters is something of a sticking point between Miller-Boyetteverse scholars.

Did they know the truth of their world? Is that why he silenced them?

Through these enterprising triplets we not only get Golden Girls, but Empty Nest, Nurses, and Golden Palace.

In the Step by Step branch we get another Urkel guest appearance; from there, Sabrina the Teenage Witch acts as our common link, as her magic acts as a link between her own show, SbS, and Boy Meets World, which had a sequel series, Girl Meets World, that connected to other Disney sitcoms- Austin & Allie & Best Friends Whenever.

Finally, we come back to Family Matters, but not to Urkel; instead, we get Carl Winslow. Now, the theory that he is the same character as Officer Al in Die Hard (and thus, Chuck), is accepted by few, given the numerous inconsistencies. The theory that he's the same police officer who lets the Ghostbusters out of their cell (below) is a topic given serious weight.

In the Miller-Boyetteverse, ghosts, magic, cloning, time travel, teleportation, artificial intelligence, gene augmentation, and psychic powers not only real, but they're the tip of the loving iceberg, and the only man who can tame these forces is our would-be savior.

Don't believe his lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Zdp1RfoyI

Baba Yaga Fanboy has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Dec 14, 2017

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
:yikes:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

A man died to deliver this knowledge to me; what we have here is the partial map of the live action Miller-Boyetteverse.

I love this.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

How's it all connect to St Elsewhere

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sid Vicious posted:

How's it all connect to St Elsewhere

THIS MAP DOESN'T INCLUDE THE FULL HOUSE - GOLDEN GIRLS CONNECTION, TSK

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTpsv9PNqo

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Excellent thank you I will rest easy this night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Today I learned that this trend of sequel series is nothing new, with there being a Leave it Beaver sequel series that ran until 1989.