Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think a fair chunk of pro wrestling admitting it's fake is a liability thing too.
Kids (and adults, if we're being honest) imitating wrestling moves is a tale as old as time.
It was one thing back in the 90's when someone going to the hospital after a piledriver happened, because the story was limited to local papers. If it did garner national attention, then they could put out the token "Don't try this at home" warnings and go about their day.

But with the internet, and being able to lookup hundreds and thousands of Wrestling Fail videos, finally coming out and saying "look, the poo poo's fake" probably let them head off some serious heat at the pass.

Plus, with the internet again, it had to be a lot harder to maintain kayfabe with all of the access to social media. Hell, take the Lawler/Kaufman feud, for example. It would be way harder for them to have kept up that illusion nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Aesop Poprock posted:

On the other hand Mr 2 Bon Clay is probably the most heroic and selfless figure in the entire story and Ivankov is a really powerful good guy too even though they’re both huge stereotypes from the same pervert island so it’s basically a case of Japan having no idea how to handle poo poo like that

In Ivankov's defense, they're basically a giant copypasta of Dr. Frankenfurter, who is not a character that is famous for their subtlety, and seems to have received a free pass for character traits that would probably be seen as mad problematic had Rocky Horror come out as a new thing in this day and age, rather than when it did.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I feel like Sword Art Online was supposed to be a full-on harem anime, but they never quite committed all the way to it since they needed Asuna and Kirito to be a couple for the plot to work.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I honestly don't even know if anime is still a 'big' thing on the main CN channel, anymore, because I don't have cable. When I flip through it on a break at work it's always some cartoony modern Western animation on the channel.

They brought back the Toonami block awhile ago, so that more or less takes the place of Adult Swim on Saturdays, but yeah, seems like that's where they have the anime quarantined to.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I read a tweet somewhere once that said
"BBT is to nerd culture what 50 Shades of Grey was to S&M culture."

And that's always sounded about accurate to me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I imagine most L&O episodes are dated before they even hit the screen, but, that Gamergate episode really felt out of whack.
Mostly just the fact that they were actually able to accomplish their stated goal instead of impotently spamming the victim's twitter with pictures of her house and death threats.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah i never understood at all why people acted like brittney shaving her head was such a huge shocking scandal. Aside from the fact that she was having a meltdown it's her drat head. She can shave it if she wants to. Nobody has any right to dictate what she does with her hair so why is that anybody's business?

Yeah, tell that to society in general.

Britney was America's favorite jailbait, so in the eyes of any given rando, that meant it was her job to stay sexy for people, and a woman with a shaved head is not "conventionally" attractive - So obviously she was losing her drat mind and yadda yadda yadda.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mamkute posted:

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Rudolph's dad says "That's my boy" when Rudolph finally is successful but he was a bad dad who denied his son unconditional love simply for having a glowing nose.

Pretty sure that "Realizing that Rudolph is about how nobody likes you if you're different unless there's a way to profit from it." qualifies as one of those "Your childhood ends when you realize" memes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tim Allen once compared being a Conservative in Hollywood to being a Jew in Nazi Germany. So, y'know, don't give him too much credit.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I feel like the whole "How soon is too soon?" Topic would make for an interesting D&D thread.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ariong posted:

Huh. Looking at this makes me realize that Biff doesn’t have it all that bad at the end of the movie. He owns his own business!

It brings to mind a lot of moments in movies in tv where someone is depicted as a loser for being stuck with a job that, nowadays, would be considered pretty decent. For example, I find it very hard to wrap my mind around how Homer’s job, which allows him to be a homeowner who supports his stay-at-home wife and three children, could be considered crappy. Apparently when the show came out it was though.

Reminds me of all the times people point out that Al Bundy must have been a fantastic women's shoes salesmen, considering how much his house would have to actually be worth.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's a scene from Maskerade where Granny Weatherwax plays Death for the life of a young woman who was severely injured. Basically she intimidated Death into throwing the game and taking the life of a farm animal instead.

Jedit posted:

It's actually a sick baby and a cow, and Death doesn't throw the game - he allows Granny to win, even though he knows she's cheating.

Death does not like to play chess, because he can never remember how the knights move.

It was a young mother and the baby. The mother got kicked by a cow, which messed up the pregnancy.
Death was all "One of them HAS to go." Granny convinced him to take the baby, since it was the least cruel option in the long run.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

skooma512 posted:

Sorry to bump this a couple weeks later but I like Daria, so here we are.

One thing that kind of stands out is while Daria will happily tell people to their face how stupid they're being, almost nobody reacts to her or treats her with anything more than occasional light antagonism. She doesn't actually have any enemies, even though routinely telling people they suck will eventually result in people wanting a piece of you (ask me how I know).

But that's also an interesting aspect of the character. She rebels against her peers and society, when they aren't compelling her to do anything and don't really give a poo poo what she does.

I feel like they once briefly touched on that.
One of the earlier episodes where one of the jock/popular kids calls her out for being a downer chick, and then dies when a goalpost falls on him. She spends the episode wondering if he had a point, though I can't remember how the episode ends, and it must not have made an impact on her beyond that episode.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Thanksgiving one is obviously a parody take on the story we're taught in grade school about how things went down.
I can absolutely see the point about the kid's book one coming off as transphobic and/or body shamey.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I feel like Mission Hill handled their gay couple really well, if you're looking for portrayals that did not age poorly.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The funny thing about Worf "being tough" is that he mostly just looks like a sissy through TNG. Every time that the writers wanted to show how tough the monster of the week was it just kicked the poo poo out of Worf as he was supposed to be the toughest person on the ship by a long shot. Instead he just spent the run of the show getting this face repeatedly bashed in. The monster would kick Worf's rear end then the crew would get together and beat it up.

So Worf was their Wolverine.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Whatev posted:

For sure. Once Bob's Burgers gets it together, it's a very sweet and wholesome show in its own way. All the Belchers are good people with good hearts and Bob and Linda are kind, supportive parents. Early episodes tried much harder to be edgy and raunchy and Bob was a kinda lovely guy and Louise was an amoral sociopath.

Wasn't there a story about that where the writers talked about how they had to make season 1 all edgelordy like that in order to get renewed past the first season, and once they knew season 2 was a lock, they were able to make the "real" Bob's Burgers?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

If you didn't think the scene where Frog wields the fully-awakened Masamune was the coolest poo poo, then you're wrong.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Here's a sort of practice that, I dunno if it's something that didn't age well, or just can't be done anymore. When old TV shows cast the same actor for different roles. I've been watching In The Heat Of the Night on Amazon. A show that's aged really well, actually. It's even got a 16:9 aspect ratio, for a show from 1989!

But yeah, they reuse actors sometimes. There was an episode one season where Walton Goggins played a high schooler who went blind and crashed a car after drinking tainted moonshine. I'm a few seasons later and Goggins is back, as a totally different character, some kind of reclusive redneck shooter. (I'm still watching the episode.) It's one of those things that people watching it when it was new wouldn't have known, especially with a then unknown actor. But it's decades later and it sticks out when you stream shows.

I'm not complaining about seeing Walton Goggins. He's great in everything.

Pretty sure MASH did that.
The guy who played Col. Potter was in a much earlier episode as some senile major/general.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sometimes this sort of things works out.

When Cristopher Lee was in Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966, d.p. Micheal Reed) he thought the dialogue he was given was so bad that he refused to say. As a result Dracula doesn't speak at all in the film, unless you count hissing. This actually works out very well because it makes Dracula seem much more like an animalistic monster than if he spoke.

To be fair, it also helps that it was Cristopher Lee.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I was about to bring up the fact that the driving instructor just seemingly ignored the fact that Piccolo is a green pointy eared alien but then I remembered that their president is a dog.

Hell of a demotion though.
Pretty sure he was the King in Dragon Ball.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AceOfFlames posted:

Different Piccolo.

Red Metal posted:

that was his dad

I meant the dog. I thought the dog used to be the King and not just the President.
Probably remembering that wrong though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Scooby Doo was drawn in front of a live studio audience

They had to quit because it was a horrible strain on the artists' wrists.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Definitely can't deny Al's loyalty.
There are plenty of episodes where he's given a chance to bail out on Peg and the kids and ends up staying with them. That episode where they all go to Hell comes to mind.

Speaking of bad things that were aged horribly from birth: I remember this old sitcom that starred David Spade. I think Kirstie Allie was in it too. Pretty sure they were working at a fashion magazine, could be wrong about that part.
What I definitely remember though was that for awhile, Spade's character was dating a supermodel by having gaslighted her into thinking she was too ugly to even leave the apartment and that he was the only one who loved her for her.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sir Lemming posted:

The Office is the most recent one I know of, not sure if there was a more recent one. It was so ridiculous because YouTube was already very much a thing at that point, as well as season sets released on DVD during the summer between seasons. A clip show makes no sense when it's trivial to binge the entire show on DVD or look up "Jim's best pranks" compilations on demand.

Weren't clip episodes basically just filler for live-action shows?
Like a bye-week of sorts for the writers?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The problem is that nobody in Family Guy is likable or redeemable, which is why it's easier to ignore Quagmire, because he's just another monster in a cast of monsters.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I read somewhere that even if you know what you're doing, being successful at a restaurant is still a long shot.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Restaurants are also a common one because most people know how to cook. Sometimes they'll have That One Recipe they make for people they know that everybody loves or some family recipe that's been handed down a long while. They then think "well you know just scale that up, right? How hard can it be?" Then they find out that a restaurant is a business and you have to run a business on top of cooking. It's also a business with a gently caress ton of competition as there's already restaurants just loving everywhere.

I live in a pretty small no-name area, and there's at least half a dozen pizza places just within a 5 minute drive from my house that I'm aware of.
You've got chains like Pizza Hut and Fox's, smaller local franchises like Fat Angelo's, then the mom and pop joints like Pepper Ronnie's.

And that's not even factoring in all the other fast food like McDonald's, Subway, Dairy Queen and Sheetz.

But yeah, everyone thinks that they can run their own pizza place around here.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think with regards to the South Park vs. Family Guy comparison, the reason that South Park gets more flak for its casual racism was because Cartman was one of those characters who got the Al Bundy treatment.
You were supposed to recognize from the get-go that he was a bad person, but, he ended up becoming a popular character, so he started getting wins - or at least got to put points on the board.

Family Guy, for lack of a better phrase, did a lot of their bigotry "ironically", or at least managed to put forth that facade.
"Haha, look, Peter is doing blackface, but he's dumb and everyone else knows blackface is wrong!" plus, he'd learn by the end of the episode that he was wrong and apologize and the status would return to quo.

Plus, Cartman's antisemitism was/is a consistent character trait for years.
Family Guy rotates their bigotry around. Trans people one week, then move on to asians, then black people, a bit of misogyny, take a bye week to dunk on the main cast for their flaws, and circle back around to bashing on LGBTQ people.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Push El Burrito posted:

South Park just did an episode about trans people in sports and it already didn't age well.

Wait, another one?
They did one years ago, with Garrison's sex change and Kyle wanting to be black/his dad wanting to be a dolphin.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PubicMice posted:

If South Park was truly so centrist, they would two versions of each episode: one where they're pro-X and one where they're anti-X.

In a way, I'm pretty sure they do.

I mean, they've had episodes where the moral was "Big Business = Good", and then later have one that's "Big Business = Bad", for example.

Parker and Stone are so utterly against the idea of people thinking that they've ever taken a side on anything and thereby losing their Liberterian street cred that they've taken drat near every position on any given topic at some point so they can keep saying they're too cool to pick sides and unironically say that the truth is in the middle.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

somepartsareme posted:

Anyone remember the show Kung Fu

I only remember two bits.

One episode where David Carradine used Kung Fu magic to force-push somebody to the ground, causing a bullet to miss them.

And then one where he and his pupil went back in time and paradoxed it so that they were the ones who inspired the creation of Crane and Tiger styles.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BioEnchanted posted:

The annoying thing is it could have had a nice ending if the underlying opinions of the writer weren't so gross. If it had just been Douglas being a twat about it as opposed to the writers it could have worked because in the last 5 minutes it shows that Douglas misses her and still loved her despite the initial shock, and wishing he'd handled thing better.

Yeah, the first time I saw that episode, I had already learned about the TERF poo poo, but my main takeaway from the episode was him being miserable and alone at the end.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Len posted:

The should I get a fedora flowchart is a single question, Are you a film noir detective?

The problem with the fedoras is that it's an accessory, not the entire outfit.
You want a fedora? Get the goddamn tailored suit to go with it, and clean yourself up while you're at it.

Fedoras are not meant to accompany your 2 sizes too small ahego t-shirt.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheKennedys posted:

man I used to watch this as a kid, I forgot it existed for a minute there :allears:

I have the entirety of Mighty Max sitting on my hard drive and remember it being one of the more clever and Actually Decent of the lovely 90s cartoon glut, I ought to rewatch it and see how it held up.

The series finale was...unsatisfying to me. I remember that. I was on the edge of my seat while everyone is getting killed off left and right, and then the big twist at the end kicks in and I'm all "that's it!?"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's been awhile since I've watched it, but how do you all feel about The Critic?
It's obviously got some dating to it, since it predates internet culture by awhile, but, it and Mission Hill are still two of my all time favorite cartoons.

I feel like MH is a time capsule in a lot of ways as well. It really encapsulated a very niche time frame, I think, that really brief window where computers were relatively commonplace, but just before the I.T. boom really hit.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I love The Critic. It still mostly holds up, provided you watch basically every movie made before 1995 to get the references.

There are a few problematic jokes, I can think of a couple transphobic and/or homophobic ones, but still less of those overall than most 90's shows.

If you haven't seen the terrible "third season" that was a series of Shockwave cartoons from some defunct site (Atom Films?) save yourself the time and don't bother. They're a Duketastrophe.

I remember the internet season. Not much, though I remember the joke where all the different networks were throwing him out and Comedy Central's office was just a circus tent.
And I remember the parody clip of that one Mel Gibson flick, The Patriot? I wanna say The Patriot. But yeah, I don't count that season in my mind.

Kinda bummed out, Jon Lovitz is actually doing a show in Pittsburgh soon, but I'm going to be out of town.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

MariusLecter posted:

And yes, Jim would be cross platforming yt and twitch.
And have a really good tiktok.

I could absolutely see an episode where everyone is trying to do their own stream/podcast/channel/whatever with Jim having an army of subscribers but also not realizing he was ever being recorded.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Leslie is the villain of the show.

She exploits, badgers, and borderline abuses most of her colleagues, who are her only friends. She attempts to remake the town in her image, rather than serving the public as an actual servant of the public. It's not that she's doing the right thing in a city full of idiots, she's doing what she wants and blaming the people for not aquiescing to her dominance. Her messaging fails 100% of the time because winning the support of the public doesn't matter, the only time she engages with the public is as an expression of her own vanity.

I love the show, but upon a rewatch Leslie becomes monstrous.

This does line up with the fact that one of her biggest role models is Hillary Clinton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought Bobby is meant to visually resemble his grandfather Cotton. Hank is the odd one out in the family. There's not really much visual resemblance to Bill aside from being fat. (and I don't think Bill was fat at Bobby's age, he's specifically a guy who seriously let himself go)

Yeah, Bill was drat near a God Amongst Men until his marriage failed and he rode the downward spiral.
He's basically an extreme example of that guy who peaked in high school who we all know.