Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Not a tv show, but I caught Naked Gun 3 the other night and OJ Simpson's performance is awful, consists of bugging his eyes out and getting spooked bad.

probably the worst thing that guy ever did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I know a guy irl called Doug who looks just like TV Doug. What do I do??

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

He gave as good as he got.

sexually?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

quote:

Speaking of the 70's there was an episode of What's Happening where a major character gets roped into smuggling in a tape recorder to make a bootleg recording at a Doobie Brothers concert. He gets busted and we all learn about the evils of music piracy. So I guess that does age well.

I don't know what this crappy Brit 80s show is, but they're doing dodgy deals with one of the best satirical indie bands around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usyn9sBFMHo

Chrpno has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Aug 11, 2017

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Getting back to the thread title: there's a Sex and the City episode where Carrie dates a younger bisexual man that eventually culminates in her writing sexual fluidity off as a young person thing; that always kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Let's not even get started on their reaction to Samantha seriously dating a woman for a few episodes--those really didn't age well.

Watching reruns of SATC, it's interesting to see how little content there is in each show. Basically it's a 5 minute vignette for each character about how one of them meets a guy then he does something weird. Repeat for 10 years.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Related to this: Fred Rogers showing the bathroom in his Television Home in order to show children they can never go down the drain (including the one in the toilet.

Pathetic. And this is why we have safe spaces nowdays

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

TheKennedys posted:

Unrelated but Blazing Saddles, while being pretty progressive on the race front (for the mid 70s) would never, ever be made today. Even if someone came up with the idea, even if it was Mel Brooks himself, it would completely lose any humor it had by virtue of not being 1974 and a lot of the humor being dependent on being a product of its time

Oh they'd make it if they thought there was a buck in it. It would star Jonah Hill, Dax Shepard (Fred Armisen?) as Hedley Lamarr and a Wayans. The campfire fart scene would be 27 minutes long.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I mean, some 15 years ago people thought Final Fantasy Spirit Within's cg was the prelude for actors imminently being replaced by cg abominations

like Grum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXo6JEK5WVE

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Like everything else on that show it started out much better and nuanced then it dropped into poo poo like him going fetal with terror when confronted with sexy ladies and the whole joke became "gay people, lol"

I don't think that was so bad. You don't have to be gay to be scared by having butts waved in your face!

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

This episode had a pretty short shelf life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtjaZ8ZuNU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

open24hours posted:

You're probably thinking of great aunt Gladys.

But her legend will live forever.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Zeikier posted:

It's the best use of Klasky-Csupo's grotesque style, which I forget if we already brought that up. It goes a little too gross sometimes but yeah.

It's a prime example of a show you talked up to your friends and when you'd try to show it to them they'd air the worst episode. I won't miss that age of television.

yeah I remember enjoying the show back when it was on, but it just looks messy and lovely all the time. The thing I like the least now is the voice on the Pig Detective, it's just so flat and boring and trying to be cool.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Skip to 2:50 to hear the song "Spaz" getting pulled off the air

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9qJ5_z6dx4

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A commercial full of models shoveling coal in their underwear.

They wouldn't fit much in there, would they?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

And on top of that, the stereotypical SHATNER...pausing...DRAMATically style is not at all present. Comedians started doing that in the 80s and 90s and Shatner himself picked up on it because he has no problem with making himself a joke and a character. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly plenty of Star Trek scenes where he's hamming it up and overacting to the extreme, but that weird pause and emphasize thing that's the stereotype for impressions of him is nowhere to be seen.

Well this didn't help, 1978:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXSWx5Q2XCo

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Last Chance posted:

sedative maybe?

SEDAGIVE??

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

How old are Apu's kids going to be the next time we see them? Bart and Lisa have not aged a day since 1989, why should they? But, if the octuplets were suddenly 18 in the next episode, I'd just go ok whatever

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

thinking they could make the show about John Goodman.

And look how well that went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-U0wDCxFU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Knocked Up was just a vehicle for Judd Apatow to kiss up to his high pitched wife and have various characters shower praise and compliments upon her. Dude is almost as whipped as Morgan Spurlock

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Adolescent me heavily disagreed re: Kirsten Dunst in Spider-Man.

A few pages ago people talked about how bad the Simpsons 90s flashback episode was, but honestly one of the more baffling choices comes from the actual era: in the Lollapalooza episode, the festival features Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill, which is spot on. But the headliner is...Peter Frampton, one of the most uncool boomer rockers ever.

(I am aware that Sonic Youth are technically baby boomers, but they're icons of Gen X music).

I think they were wisely anticipating "Bluesfest" 2018 in Australia, a once hip blues & roots festival, where this year's headliner is noted lame has-been joke Lionel Ritchie.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Calico Heart posted:

Yeah man I loved the episode where he's bored and the episode is literally him sitting around and nothing happening

Well not quite, didn't he buy a packet of screws?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Oh boys, cartoons don't have any meaning. They're just stupid drawings that give you a cheap laugh

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I am surprised that no one has said 'there is literally blackface and/or yellowface in most episodes' in addition to all the other ways Little Britain is terrible.

Oh gently caress that triggered the memory. "Ting Tong from Pong Pong" or some awful poo poo. Don't

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Croccers posted:

Come to Australia, we have 2222 episodes of it.
Two thousand, two hundred and twenty two.

Say it properly, diw or no diw

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

There's a name I did not expect to see here. Are we going after ol' Dusty Dan for a dubious refretting video or something?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Cat Hassler posted:

I was busy watching The Man Show and the Andy Dick show at the turn of the century which both have not aged well

Andy Dick is a fuckin weird dude, let this be his legacy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3xKD7x_WOQ

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

The entire real life Susan Boyle story is media that didn’t age well. “Inspirational: An Unattractive Person Has a Beautiful Voice” was such a bizarre and patronizing media cycle.

It was all so weird and contrived. She wasn't horribly disfigured, just unpolished and older, and she had a voice that was "good" by the standards of local amateur theatre. But god drat, it worked, and sold a bunch more product.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Autisanal Cheese posted:

absolute classic

Did he actually invent that genre of 'comedy character attempts to do serious interview with celebrities who aren't in on the joke' long before Dennis Pennis and Sacha Baron Cohen?

Would be very hard pressed to find anyone doing it before the early 70s. Love NG, there's some regrettable stuff in there but it's meant to be at the expense of the character I guess? Even Zappa played along:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mUQ00i9rH4

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

It is heartening to think that such a subversive, ironic meta-comedy became one of the most popular things ever in this stupid country. And we're still talking about him 50 years later.

(just don't mention his Stevie Wonder joke, that did NOT age well)

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I'm cracking up looking at the King Features list of comics and imagining them trying to push them on the post-post-post-modern audience of 2023. Brick Bradford? Abie the Agent?? BONER'S ARK?? :classiclol:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Features_Syndicate#King_Features_strips_and_panels

Oh and according to Wikipedia, King Features is massive and cool and you should not mock them.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Comstar posted:

There's a full on display in the National War Museum celebrating the VC and uniform of the most decorated Solider alive and going out of it's way to state that this is the man you want to be.

Yesterday, he was found guilty in a court of law of being a war criminal, murderer, abuser, bully and domestic abuser.

I don't watch the news, so I was trying to remember the dude's name, and all my brain would yield was "Ben Cousins", not quite. But I do remember back in the mists of time, when no less a personage than Kate Langbroek had a throwaway crack at Mr Roberts-Smith about his intelligence, and was duly hauled over the coals? Who's laughing now?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

loving Humphries, being a loving piece of poo poo from beyond the grave.

There's only one good Australian Humphry:

I dunno, I heard he gets in all manner of strife

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Related, I rewatched the Nic Cage action move Con Air recently and it struck me how Steve Buscemi's insane serial killer character is coded as being super scary and dangerous throughout the first half of the film but in the second half he gets treated as if his character has been redeemed and is given a stereotypical 'happy' ending at a table at Vegas cheerfully gambling away someone else's money and sipping on a cocktail.

Wading through the starwar chat here to say I'm glad someone else notices this weird feature of Con Air (as well as the idea that a bunch of lifer criminals are going to all pull together as a team, and not instantly run away/stab each other in the back the second they get a chance). But Steve B, yeah. What are we meant to think when he's taking tea with the little girl? That he's being redeemed somehow? By the way, that is not a sweet little girl, she looks like a total demon urchin in a blasted-out hellscape, maybe Steve B was creeped out and scared straight by the whole thing.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wonder if Buscemi's role was added late and entirely because they got Buscemi and he has a serious "this guy is really loving weird and creepy but I also like him" vibe. Make him the weird creep you can't help but love!

I guess we just need to accept that Con Air is the high point of stupid movies, nothing makes sense, just go with it.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

That Will Ferrell sketch where they're music teachers singing operatic versions of rock songs and saying "hot mic"

That Fred Armisen one where they're an aging punk hardcore band at a modern wedding and they do the Suicidal Tendencies bit in the middle

both fun and good

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

hallo spacedog posted:

I have to credit Comedy Central SNL reruns with getting me into David Bowie because I saw an episode with Tin Machine as the musical guest in the mid 90s after school one day lol

Sup, Bowie fan whose first point of entry was Tin Machine :hfive:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

Superman got overloaded with yellow sun radiation and is ultra-strong but incurably dying, and it follows what he gets up to with the time left

What are you, Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Really? Well I've had sex and lived in the 80's and I've never heard anyone use the phrase 'you greasin'.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

emSparkly posted:

This thread made me watch Fight Club tonight. I expected to see a story about how men who feel left behind by the hell world we live in turn to extremism but all I got was a crippling fear of gas explosions and airplane crashes.

Fight Club is a comedy. It's crazy that anyone could take some great message from it, because it's all so silly and a bigger fantasy than Star Wars. But I really like it, it takes that late 90's-Radiohead-technofear-grimdark-end of history thing and puts a bunch of idiots in it, bumbling around in dumpsters and alleyways and incompetently beating each other up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah but the guy shoots himself in the head but he's ok

lol