Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The spiders really are BS though, I don't know that there's actually any good way to take them out. Especially that big one whose model is way too big for the space they've got it in and it can't get in or out of any of the doors leading to that small entrance room.

I do think it's a shame you missed fighting that hunter though, maybe you could double back to him from the other side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I feel like any encounter that requires you to use a rare, expendable item is poorly designed though. Like most enemies you can kind of see how From intended you to kill them, but those spiders don't really have any weakness

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

They really did get basically more or less exactly what they asked for: bodiless immortality in a realm that's completely of the mind. They're called the mensis scholars for a reason, after all. It's not just a proper noun.

It's one of the scarier things about the setting, I think: that there actually are groups who have a good enough grasp of the arcane knowledge to intentionally do things like that, or turn themselves into things like that, because they're also universally horrible people.

For me, mensis always implied blood and lunar cycles more than "mental/mind"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm not saying it's either/or, more than likely it's both

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

One issue I have with the DLC in the Soulsborne games is that the bosses are always so much harder and more complex than the vanilla endgame bosses. It is particularly stark in Bloodborne because the DLC here I think has the best and hardest bosses of any Soulsborne game. Then you go back and usually you've just got the final three vanilla ones who all put up about as much fight as a wet paper towel. I feel like they need an option to transition to the dlc after the vanilla game.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In DS3 you can stick around after completing the game, which is a good way to handle it imo.

I haven't actually finished the DLC, I should go back to my hypothetically-all-achievements character.

Can you? I thought it was the same as DS1 where both kindling the flame or walking away ended the game.

I really liked the second DS3 DLC but it doesn't quite top Bloodborne's in terms of lore/challenge/fairness.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think this is more a problem with specific final bosses in this game, because at least one of them stands up to the level of the DLC bosses.

Really? Because my first play through I died like 15+ times on Ludwig and Orphan, but then came out and one-shot all the vanilla end game bosses. I guess Gehrman stands up kinda?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

They're also the single two hardest bosses in the entirely Soulsborne series, in my opinion, so that may not be the most fair of examples to pick. In Dark Souls, I'd personally say that Gwyn measures up to the level of the DLC bosses just fine in terms of difficulty and is probably the closest equivalent to Artorias that you can get in any of the base games.

I also struggled more with Maria and Lawrence than I did with anything in the vanilla. Like I said, on my first playthrough of Bloodborne I came out of the DLC battered by bosses who are super aggressive, with openings and pauses that are mercilessly short to the point of being vindictive, who have boatloads of health and can kill you in a few hits. Then I went through the vanilla end bosses and one shot them because they're all easy to dodge, leave nice long openings, won't charge you as soon as you back off, and have like 1/2 the health of the DLC bosses. I feel like Gehrman is actually harder if you try to parry him so maybe that worked in my favour because I'm terrible at parries in Bloodborne.

In DS1, Gwyn is only hard if you don't parry him or exploit the geography, but maybe if you compare him without doing that then yeah he's pretty equivalent to Artorias. I find Manus harder than either tbh. DS2's vanilla end boss was a joke so there's no comparison. DS3's second DLC bosses (aside from that weird PVP one) were all significantly harder than the vanilla end boss.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 29, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

What exactly can you exploit about Manus, Artorias or Kalameet? I can't think of an "easy mode" option in any of those fights, you've got to just learn and exploit the openings in their attacks where you can.

It's also not as though Gwyn is even hard to parry, like Orphan is in Bloodborne. The majority of his attacks are really heavily telegraphed and I think all but one(?) can be parried.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 29, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I kinda like that armour in Bloodborne doesn't make a huge deal of difference. I guess it gives you more build variety which is nice, but the fact that most of your defense comes from levelling up not from armour kinda defeats the purpose ultimately.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Also please start using punctuation.

:goonsay:

But yeah poise in Dark Souls 1 and 2 had certain break points, DS3 it was even more opaque and I think only mattered if both you and the enemy were swinging your weapons at the same time or some poo poo.

It's a good mechanic that was very poorly implemented imo.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I always thought that Moon rune was BS. You have to sit with that gesture for way too long for anyone to reasonably find it on their own even if they make the connection between the brain thing and the gesture

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

There are enough hints for you, on the whole, to figure out that you must be doing something wrong when nothing responds to your Make Contact gesture, at least enough to maybe just eventually let it sitting a while to see if anything happens.

If that took five minutes of waiting, I'd agree that it's bullshit. Twenty seconds or so, though? Not so much.

So I guess you figured out how to get that rune without looking it up? It's 30s fwiw

:jerkbag:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You can assume that Rom is the one who maintains that plane though, since it collapses when you kill her. I think it stands that there needs to be some sort of living anchor for the dreams.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Isn't Rom a semi-successfully ascended human?

I'd also argue that Micolash doesn't have a particularly intact or functional mind left either~

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I mean, the moon and the werewolves are very definitely not the only thing going on here

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Well also the wretched beggar can go back and forth. That plus the fact that this isn't the first hunt, I'd mostly imagined it as a Purge kind of situation where everyone beasts out every so often but then when the hunt is over everyone goes back to normal.

Otherwise how would Yharnam even still exist?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Many characters, including the weird deformed beggar in Oedon Chapel, will point out to you that it has never been this bad before, and that Yharnam may actually not come back from the brink this time. Usually, Hunters probably act more like actual hunters, chasing down and slaughtering individual beasts that spring up from the population.

The Yharnam you see is basically in a state of emergency. The last time it was that bad was, I think, when they burned down Old Yharnam in response, sooo...

Ya and the fact that this particular night will never end, that the moon is drawing too close, etc. But I still think it's likely that any beasts leftover at the end of the night will transform back into people when it's over.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Valtr is the Bloodborne equivalent of a DnD lawful good paladin

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I thought he ended up as one of the aliens in Iosefka's clinic? There's a wheelchair in there near one of the aliens.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think the fact that the custscene after you beat the final boss shows the sun rising over Yharnam indicates it's not a dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The moon presence is really easy. Its ability that takes you down to 1hp would be kinda bullshit but it gives you such a long window afterwards that it basically just gives you a chance to deal heaps of damage and gain all that HP back. It's usually enough damage to stagger it and get in a visceral attack