Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

I think the coc dd is going to be banger.

I watched mathils restrospective of affliction and … melee is fine ??

https://youtu.be/etzmpe785S8?si=SV1o85XbZFdXuYMd

https://youtu.be/GvS8-m1dl3g?si=gGwsD19VaAGbMeoi

https://youtu.be/N1pmyXFxjYQ?si=9mbjtHCfh_nSRBux

he also has an inspiring message re: melee at the end of the retrospective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
exsang miner was my affliction league starter. it's great if you want something a bit more fresh and also super fast.

you will probably want a separate bosser/superjuiced map guy later on, unless there's some new way to push the damage, but it's a truly fantastic starter

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

quite frankjly now i dont need 4 voidstones for sextants i will be doing even less bossing than ever before

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Voidstones get you more T16 options and T17 drops, I guess? Definitely don't need all 4 as much as before.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Twisc posted:

exsang miner was my affliction league starter. it's great if you want something a bit more fresh and also super fast.

you will probably want a separate bosser/superjuiced map guy later on, unless there's some new way to push the damage, but it's a truly fantastic starter

Any thoughts on how it might handle Sanctum if I wanted to blast that? Of the usual checklist I see:

- Ranged? Check
- Auto-targets? Check
- Freezes? Check
- Damage? Idk, not sure what DPS threshold is needed to make Lycia feel consistently good
- And tank doesn't really matter all that much but this build looks sturdy enough

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Wuxi posted:

Chieftain can save Suffix space by scaling Cold/Lightning through stacking Fire Resistance, but has to get Life Regen and Life Regeneration Rate somewhere to get good sustain. Inquisitor needs to put a bigger emphasis on resistances, but gets all the sustain it needs for free.
On Inquisitor you absolutely want Corrupted Soul (either from Replica Soul Tether or a Glorious Vanity), but I pushed to 100 without it before, its not mandatory, just extremely good.
I'd put Inquisitor above Chieftain by a pretty wide margin if you want to get into t16s on random rares. Chieftain has no damage whatsoever and is entirely reliant on explosions.

Do you think Pohx's stuff on inquis is still the best to follow then? I've never played RF and I was going to follow his RF Chieftain guide, but now am leaning inquis.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Urethane posted:

Do you think Pohx's stuff on inquis is still the best to follow then? I've never played RF and I was going to follow his RF Chieftain guide, but now am leaning inquis.

Pohx recommends RF Chieftain because he feels it takes less knowledge/effort to get the build to work well, it's hard to mess up, and RF is the beginner get you into doing real mapping content build. RF Inquisitor is better, for all the reasons people listed, and especially for people in this thread because if you are having trouble figuring out why your damage sucks or whatever you can just post in here and someone will fix you, not true for everyone.

Fake edit: To answer your question his inquisitor guide is good.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are just interested in spamming maps chieftain is way better

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

M. Night Skymall posted:

Pohx recommends RF Chieftain because he feels it takes less knowledge/effort to get the build to work well, it's hard to mess up, and RF is the beginner get you into doing real mapping content build. RF Inquisitor is better, for all the reasons people listed, and especially for people in this thread because if you are having trouble figuring out why your damage sucks or whatever you can just post in here and someone will fix you, not true for everyone.

Fake edit: To answer your question his inquisitor guide is good.

Got it, yeah I'm sort of a beginner in that last league was the first time I had played completed my atlas and was farming red maps and stuff. I was on lightning arrow deadeye but kind of want a more survivable build but without a two click rotation. RF and chill kind of appeals to me since I haven't tried it before.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

post your total hours pplayed in poe. now.

I have 2 hours. Back in 2017. I've spent more time than that watching getting started in PoE videos this week...

I figure it's time to give this game a real try while I wait for D4 season 4 and for LE to improve on its excellent base. I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna play but it looks like there are a ton of good options. At least I'm used to following build guides in ARPG's.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

euphronius posted:

If you are just interested in spamming maps chieftain is way better
Why?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fknlo posted:

I have 2 hours. Back in 2017. I've spent more time than that watching getting started in PoE videos this week...

I figure it's time to give this game a real try while I wait for D4 season 4 and for LE to improve on its excellent base. I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna play but it looks like there are a ton of good options. At least I'm used to following build guides in ARPG's.

Imo pick a character archetype you enjoy and go from there.

Want to shoot things with a bow? Blow things up as a mage? Be a Necro lord with minions?

Chances are there is a build that will support the play style

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

There much change in RF’s single target scaling recently without substantial investment? Big fan of clear and general tankiness, but after like 5+ leagues maining it and only really doing now jank or defunct builds (w/ substantially higher ST) I found it kinda underwhelming. I did SS last league and tbh it rips super hard for ST but like, QOL of RF is top-notch/easier mapping imo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Per Pohx: the -20 to fire dot resists is great on juiced maps and of course the insane explode which only gets better as you add density (juice )

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

whypick1 posted:

Was planning on just doing the Maxroll one (which is the leveling portion of their Maw of Mischief build) before transitioning into EK, but I'll have to look into Jorgin's again (wrote it off because the level 100 was still showing alt-quality gems but that appears to be a pobb.in problem).

Looks like Ziz came through with a Wave of Conviction Elementalist guide just in time! My friend's going to follow that one since it's super clear and newbie-oriented.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

Imo pick a character archetype you enjoy and go from there.

Want to shoot things with a bow? Blow things up as a mage? Be a Necro lord with minions?

Chances are there is a build that will support the play style

That's the plan. I think I'll start with a witch and go from there. Was doing a blood warlock in LE and have done a ball lightning sorc and a necro in D4 so it seems like a good start for what I gravitate towards.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Einwand posted:

Voidstones get you more T16 options and T17 drops, I guess? Definitely don't need all 4 as much as before.

i usually just bulk buy maps anyway :cheeky:

the same reason ppl play occultist entirely for profane bloom

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Other friend, after much deliberation, declared "Thinkin of doing Archmage" -- this is a bait league start for a newbie, right?

Maxroll has a guide (https://maxroll.gg/poe/build-guides/league-starter/archmage-hiero/archmage-ball-lightning-hierophant) but I can't imagine mana stacking is viable without a decent budget that a beginner won't be able to accrue. Am I off the mark?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I think archmage will work if you realize it may not be obtainable for a bit.

For instance, doing frostbolt of ice nova will let you scale through maps without archmage so you can switch over when you get the gear.

You’ll need like 7500+ mana to switch to archmage anyway. Ball lightning of orbiting may be a bit of a trap early unless you just like helix.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

GodspeedYou!Witchy posted:

I’ve been burned by Subtractem and Allie builds before. I wouldn’t say they’re bait (maybe Allies are) but something has always just felt off about them

where is fyregrass anyway

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just going from when archmage first came out and before brands were nerfed, I remember wearing the Ivory Tower for protection from chaos and MoM for everything else.

Looked at that build and it didn't look similar or need something like tower.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Archmage will do fine on a budget and as a league starter - Probably from lvl31 on, if you have enough chance orbs to buy all the gems. A naked Ball Lightning Hierophant does 800k-1mil dps with leveled gems and already has a solid amount of EHP thanks to MoM and Sanctuary of Thought.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Celestial Toxic Rain MTX was on sale, so yeah, I'll run that as my league starter.

I'm debating at some point this league, post league launch rush, starting a SSF character (or maybe pseudo SSF) to slow roll it, actually pick some skills I think are cool and just see if I can get it to like...yellow maps. Read / listen to quest stuff as I go along. Stop and smell the roses.

I'm sure it'll be dogshit, but I bet I'll learn a lot of things trying to make something work, now that it's been 4 years of playing. Honestly the biggest thing I think would be forcing myself to learn how to target farm specific items and how to craft gear.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
If you know what you're doing archmage will work from level 31. If you don't really understand the how or why of archmage it's probably better to wait until after cruel lab when you get the 50% less mana cost.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Actually thinking about going SSF this league and learning the 50% of this game I've ignored for years.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

WTFBEES posted:

Actually thinking about going SSF this league and learning the 50% of this game I've ignored for years.

I started off playing this game SSF and only actively started using trade last league, so I'm in the opposite boat. It almost felt like cheating after getting a few lucrative drops and being able to just buy the things I wanted and not having to craft/farm them.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

euphronius posted:

EAB is great

Just remember number of explosions is attack speed * number of totems * fuse duration. You will be doing this calculation a lot .

This is assuming 100% hit chance which you should be at

Also for the love of god do not have added fire damage anywhere on your gear and have at least one instance of added lightening or cold somewhere

Quoting for reference

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

So - BAMA vs EAB - which is gonna be more enjoyable? They’re both effectively totem builds, yeah? Does one outshine the other in any notable way (including expected cost of gear)?

My other potential leaning is finally doing a spark build, but I have a bit less confidence I’ll have a good time with that.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'm not gonna try to justify it but bama

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Ruggan posted:

So - BAMA vs EAB - which is gonna be more enjoyable? They’re both effectively totem builds, yeah? Does one outshine the other in any notable way (including expected cost of gear)?

My other potential leaning is finally doing a spark build, but I have a bit less confidence I’ll have a good time with that.

On one skill you can clear maps almost as fast as your movement skill.
Another is totems

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
does a bama start have to farm the alt mirror arrow gem in merc lab, or can it just use the basic ba/ma gems until maps and then buy one?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I bought the Disciple Pack. So I picked up the Map Tab, and still have another 160 points to spend. I've got a bunch of cosmetics it turns out, I must have collected them from Twitch drops over the years.

Anyway now I've got 1 Premium tab and the Currency, Fragment, and Map tabs. I'll wait for the next sale before picking up anything else.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

does a bama start have to farm the alt mirror arrow gem in merc lab, or can it just use the basic ba/ma gems until maps and then buy one?

The basic ba/ma gems wont cut it; they’re pretty much just movement skills. You’ll want to get the transfigured versions.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Never done anything with mines before -- is Exsanguinate Trickster going to feel pretty snappy?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Paying2Lurk posted:

Changed my mind again. Think I'll go Splitting Steel Champ. Looks fun and, more importantly, simple enough for me. But that will change a few more times before tomorrow.

It's straightforward to build, quite tanky, and scales nicely -- it's a really solid map-runner at low investment levels, but also has some great payoffs if you find yourself wanting to grind out some of its more exotic upgrades. Played it last league and would heartily recommend to a new player. Definitely prioritize running your labyrinths ASAP on this one because Champion gets some really stupid-good stuff from the ascendancy tree.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

goferchan posted:

It's straightforward to build, quite tanky, and scales nicely -- it's a really solid map-runner at low investment levels, but also has some great payoffs if you find yourself wanting to grind out some of its more exotic upgrades. Played it last league and would heartily recommend to a new player. Definitely prioritize running your labyrinths ASAP on this one because Champion gets some really stupid-good stuff from the ascendancy tree.

Hell yeah, sounds good.

Trying to get all my stupid work / IRL poo poo done before the league starts. Gotta run out and pick up an energy drink and some snacks, too.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Imma go poison SRS until I can afford the new Wraithlord and go spectres because new witch voice lines, :cmon:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Here's hoping for a quiet day of work with the impending Holiday so I can start earlier...

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I'm going with spark because it seems fun in testing and anime princess puts out so many videos that I think they could play the game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

small exile is fuckin hilarious