Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Lol at the trade morality police.

Trading in this game rewards “bad“ behavior. If I post something and instantly get a bunch of whispers, then I’d be a fool to sell the item at its obviously low price.

Anyone who says you should sell for your initial offer even when it is clearly too low is a trade scammer at best or a judgmental prick at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

TheRat posted:

I just love this little straw man you all seem to be constructing. For the 79th time, nobody here is saying you should be honour bound to sell something if you genuinely mispriced it. All we're saying is that if you're the kind of person who just dumps everything into a tab and let others do your pricing for you, you're a lazy oval office who's got no respect for other people's time.

I want to meet the guy who throws 40 random items into his 1alc tab then takes the time to update each and every item incrementally until he finds the perfect price/time equilibrium point for each item.

Who has made a straw man again?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
The trade scammer is the common enemy here and the real issue is that GGG doesn’t really care to change the system to prevent trade scamming.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
This game needs an arbitrage service

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

TheRat posted:

You? Because this not something anyone in here has ever claimed:

Lol. Okay.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2242389

This is the necro build ive used this league. Im no pro but ive pretty much facerolled my way to level 80 and mid tier maps.

You use spectres, zombies, skeletons, phantasms, and an agony crawler.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
At this point my only complaint is that there are way, WAY too many useless/obsolete legendaries.

Also, picking up scrolls gets annoying.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
They need to combine the best of synthesis and betrayal. Have betrayal masters be bosses that appear on the synthesis map, with their associated rewards.

And trash the fractured/synthesized item mechanic.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I play this game casual solo and its great. Never made it past t5 maps but i dont care, the game is a blast from start to finish.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
My hot take on legion: its fun.

Also fun: watching reddit melt down about server issues.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Finally made it to the end of the campaign after…. 17 hours.

So yeah, its been a few years since ive played and now there’s an atlas tree? Cool!

Also, im as rich as ive ever been at the end of the campaign. Rare mobs dropping 6 socket items all over the place really helps.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

nexous posted:

Thread topic applies to me. I don’t know if ggg is just insanely bad at telegraphic attacks but I can’t figure out how to dodge a lot of random attacks.

And I love bullet hell games

My issue is that the sanctum is fairly dark (what ive seen of it anyway) and some of the trash mob attacks are dark. So im getting sniped by trash while im focusing down the room named/rares.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I have sold zero items this league and it owns

I have never sold anything (worth less than 5 div/exalt) in this game and im happy as a clam

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Next league:
Monsters have point blank except the damage multiplier scales logarithmically with distance to favor melee.

Instead melee get insta gibbed from offscreen and despite the nerfs, totems still rule the league.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
the big irony is that D4 being good would be good for PoE (or at least the playerbase). unfortunately, d4 will be bad

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Delve is so much more fun and is such a better “roguelite” experience compared to Sanctum that it boggles the mind.

Imagine delve, with only 32 depth, that requires an entire map’s worth of sulfite for each delve, and then resets when you either die or get to the bottom. Oh yeah, and there’s no azurite, no fossils/resonator rewards, no exploration (dynamite mechanic), and your HP is normalized during your runs.

I hope sanctum goes away, and good riddance if it does!

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I want a 2d platformer league. Or make a beastmaster class that uses einhar beasts as pets. Hire me ggg!

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
That floor 3 div required 24 maps worth of sanctum runs to access. Not worth it, in my (admittedly very casual) opinion.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Group Only League incoming!

I’d actually love if group play became a bigger part of the game.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Excited for new poe content after being inundated with d4 news. :tbear:

EA ballista is so good that, assuming its not nerfed, i feel like its be dumb to not start with it. Especially considering that it was previously meta, maybe itll be cheaper to gear this league.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Sylink posted:

Is deep delving actually worth it beyond wherever the nodes get optimized in frequency? I think you don't actually get more stuff at extreme depths vs quickly destroying stuff close to 1000?

I run delve because it is some of the most funnest content to me. There is money to be made, but my experience is that delve isn’t (typically) going to be the ~~optimum~~ way to make fat stacks of currency. But, i delve around my character build’s capabilities rather than create a character built around running delve.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

Let’s say you had equipped two corrupted jewels, one with “You cannot be stunned” and the other with “You cannot not be stunned.” Can you be stunned?

You are stunned, but only if you’re actively considering if you are stunned or not. If you’re not considering your stunnedness, you’re not stunned. A stunned superposition, if you will.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

pmchem posted:

I was alt-tabbed reading this post when the very first beach quest guy turned into a zombie to attack me. This game might be interesting.

Lol, this’ll be good

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
A reworked unique league would be fun. Increase unique power and then have the league mechanic be a unique gambling mechanic or some type.

Gacha League

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I’m still not convinced that Heatshiver isn’t going to eat a stealth nerf. I just got that feelin in my gut that there’s pages of unreleased numerical tweaks

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Wtf even IS a link skill? What is a linked target? Why do i feel like this is the zelda thread?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
you guys are nuts if you prefer the sanctum league mechanic over this one. And yeah, it's overtuned if you juice the crucible to the max, so dont do that!

the inventory requirements are this league does stink, i totally feel that pain. the crucible mobs not dropping anything is an... interesting decision and one i could see them reversing.

I've been doing about every other crucible while leveling. i am not seeking them out, but ill stop and do them if i have a weapon in my inventory. So far I haven't bricked an otherwise good item and I'm not too concerned if i do.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
If the enemies become hp sponges then yeah, that sucks and should be changed asap.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I was really hoping that this was “stupid player power league” and like every third tree (or at least most uniques) would have zany, weird, semi-op modifiers. I wanted to be inspired to make alts and create something new.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Hooplah posted:

yeah, i've been around that long and definitely feeling the same way.

i was so unimpressed after a few hours of loving around that i rerolled in ruthless because i knew crucible wasn't going to hold my attention

TBH, this is clearly what GGG wants everyone to do.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
As soon as chris made that offhand quip about how poe 2 will be “out before that other game”, ggg was doomed. He just had to go and be cocky

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I dont like the fact that melee is “bad” but i kinda get it?

To make melee shine against ranged you’d ultimately either need to nerf ranged dps/tankiness (unfun) or buff melee to the point where you can essentially either tank n spank everything or twoshot everything (unfun).

Personally, id rather have my screen clearing ranged builds intact, lol.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I think i have 100+ hours of playtime this league and I have gotten exactly one (1) divine to drop. Its kinda frustrating tbh as I typically dont trade a whole lot, but i do use the divines to get me over the hump. Im doing T16s, but im pretty rippy with no real currency to spend on an upgrade without spending an evening or two fighting trade to exchange my low value currencies.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Sometimes having consistently terrible luck at gambling is a boon, lol

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Im fine with the bosses in this game, but some of the mechanics can be very difficult to see if you’re new to the fights. Couple that with the lack of recap on deaths and it can feel pretty cheap.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

search engine posted:

That is a very bad way to get writs, both because it's slow and also means you're giving up eater or exarch altars+packs every map.

The best casual way to self-farm writs is to tag the small maven invite drop chance nodes, all the boss/guardian map drop bonuses, and then farm eater/exarch until you have a a stack of boss maps. Do the boss maps + resulting 4-way invites with the highest quantity you can handle. High quant on the maps combined with the invite drop chance gives you good odds of getting the relevant invitation to drop, and high quant on the invite fight means 5+ crescent shards in one go. On top of the guardians themselves dropping valuable stuff.

Quoting for posterity. Thank you for the excellent advice.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

okay, so general blight:

-when you activate the pump, there are portals that will spawn a lot of enemies. you want to stop those enemies from touching the blight pump by killing them. the blight pump has hp, it's the big bar on your screen.
-above the blight pump hp bar is a series of small circles (one for each portal, but sometimes they can be stacked on top of each other both in-world and in the display and will show up with a multiplier notation [ie x4]). each portal/each circle can also have a coloured icon on it. that coloured icon is the tower YOU make that ENEMIES from that portal are immune to.
-you build towers (because it's tower defense) to kill the enemies before they get to the blight pump. you can also kill them manually, but there's way too many for you to really do that yourself.
-instead, build a combination of brown (stone/stun) and blue (freeze) towers to slow the monsters, while you have red (fire) and purple (summoning) towers to kill the monsters. obviously, you don't want to build towers that are useless for the enemies the portals spawn, so if you're looking at a lane of monsters that's immune to brown and red you make blue and purple towers to cover that lane.
-you build towers by clicking on the build spots marked with a hammer and then choosing from the pop up menu. cassia manually has to run over to build the tower to start it so it might take a little while, but it's instant to upgrade them. more upgraded towers > lots of low level towers.
-blue and brown towers get built to level 3 (so don't specialize them). purple and red towers go to level 4: purple is always the summoning tower (looks like a bat), and red is generally meteor tower if it has line of sight, or flamethrower tower if you need something up close.

this is basically all you need to know for blight appearing in a map.

if you get a blighted map, like for this challenge you're mentioning, you get a map that is ONLY the blight pump and portals.

in that case, the 100% guaranteed no failure strategy is:

-first thing you MUST do when you come in is explore the entire map, just reveal the entire fog of war and get a feel for the layout. as part of this, use a portal scroll to move the portal somewhere else in the map - ideally in a corner out of the way, but also in a room or space that you can make a straight run right back to the blight pump. this is crucial.
-now, when you hit the blight pump you're going to see tons and tons of portals appear, more than you've ever seen. this is normal. however, you get to see where are the portals are at the beginning, and they activate over time. so the way you play these maps is by moving through the sections of the map, building towers to cover where the activated portals are.
-in particular you are looking for chokepoints where lots of portal/spawn lanes converge and ideally there are 3 (three) build points close together. when you find that, put down a blue and a brown tower to cover the lane, and a green tower to empower both of those. get all of them to level 3 but don't bother specializing them. this combination effectively locks down mobs forever, mostly.
-then behind your chokepoint, closer to the pump, build tons of red and purple towers (see specialization notices above). you do this after you get a chokepoint set up. (edit: when you're doing this setup in blighted maps, don't worry about matching to portal immunities. you should have enough juice and enough towers up that basically anything is gonna get stuck and killed no matter what it actually is)
-so the general gameplay loop is scout out the map, place the portal in a good spot, turn on the blight pump, figure out where mobs are coming from, place chokepoints and then artillery (red and purple towers) behind that. keep building more towers to cover where mobs are coming from, and then more towers on top of that. build all the towers.

however, there are two big problems with blighted maps:
1) they are crashy as hell. there are so many mobs and so much stuff going on, it is not uncommon for the server to just take a poo poo and the game to crash and you have to rush back into the game. you have to do that because:
2) a hidden mechanic in path of exile that doesn't come up pretty much anywhere else is that the game only simulates YOUR effects in a few screens' distance around you. this means in blighted maps in particular, if you go wandering off towards some portals in the back of the map, your towers that are far away from you WILL STOP WORKING. however, this DOES NOT stop enemies from moving, so the blight pump is effectively defenseless. because of this, when you're doing a blighted map, STAY NEAR THE PUMP (like within one screen's range) until almost all the enemies are dead. it doesn't matter how far away the portals actually are, they will come to you (sometimes the very last few might get stuck somewhere but by then you have enough stuff dead you can hunt them down).

this is also why we move the portal (well, also so you don't accidentally click on it in the middle of the blight pump fight and exit the map) - if you disconnect, IMMEDIATELY get right back in as fast as possible and RUN back to the pump. just focus on getting back there and THEN get your bearings. because while you're d/ced, the mobs are moving towards the pump and all your defenses aren't doing anything.

follow these tips and you'll never fail a blighted map again. (blight-ravaged maps are the harder version and require some more stuff but they're not required for anything this league)

Another one to remember. Thank you, Thank you!

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Or corrupted?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
One thing that helps in PoE, that a lot of people gloss over, is that sometimes you just gotta grind for awhile.

Sometimes this starts in yellow maps, sometimes red maps, sometimes it can be in the campaign (you prolly screwed something up though, if this is the case in 3.20 though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Cold dot is a super fun zoom zoom build that coasted me into 8-mod red maps. Enemy packs explode about as fast as i can move through them.

Its super fun, but kinda spoils you for slower, less cool (hehe) builds.