Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is my first time playing any time near the beginning of a league. Been playing a SRS witch and my first two maps dropped an exalt and a 6L Talon Axe. I feel insanely squishy and it doesn't feel like I kill very fast right now, but this is probably because all my gear is garbage. Does anyone have any suggestions for gearing up a SRS build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
as someone who kind of casually enjoys this game, the forever-war mindset poe players have where any criticism of this game implies a traitorous incivisme sympathy for That Other ARPG is probably the worst part of it

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the second worst part of it is how much out-of-game knowledge you're expected to accumulate about the economy if you want to function, yeah

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Actual question: I'm playing a SRS build right now and don't really have any trouble in T9/T10 maps, but I don't know how well I'd hold up in red maps. I'm sitting at around 6K life right now--what would be a decent value to shoot for?

Also, I'm using a 6L staff right now with +1 to fire gems. I know the method for crafting a +3, but don't really have the currency to shoot for it right now. Is it feasible to scour my staff, buy Rage essences to get +2 to fire gems on it, and pray for an empty suffix slot for blood magic (corollary: is there a trustable way to ask someone else to craft blood magic for you, if you don't have Vagan at level 8)? I'm not super familiar with the crafting mechanics.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
wait, how did poe.trade work without API access

edit: oh god

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Huh. That whole setup seems like an textbook quadratic scaling problem, which i guess is why they ended up adding API access.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr. Despair posted:

On a staff you don't even need to essence craft for +2, you can use alterations to get +2 and then regal, and then craft blood magic. Definitely people in the guild who can help with that (costs a divine to do though).

Is that worth it financially speaking? I did a quick search and someone On The Internet was saying it would take like 200 alts to get +2 on average, and the thing I definitely don't want to happen is to scour my staff and end up broke without having a replacement.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
not that i've tried doing this, but most cloud computing solutions don't charge at all for network ingress, if that sniper tool is just written in Python you could probably run it for like four cents an hour on AWS/GCE/Azure/etc

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
just completely coincidentally, both my characters have been characters that somehow cheat the need for an expensive 6-link (SRS can use that divination card for a 6L staff, whispering ice doesn't care) so this entire conversation has been something of a sticker shock for me

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Would it be possible for me to get a guild reinvite before the floodgates open? Character name is Isfin (will I be able to just recreate that character in the new league when it starts?)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

Invite sent

Do the invites expire? I just got home from work and I didn't see anything on the Social screen. If so, could I ask for a reinvite again for Isfin (sorry)?

e: alternatively, are we supposed to give our Steam/account name instead of character name?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
It worked this time! Thanks.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
im quitting for a month and coming back

gently caress i'm gonna get purged if i try that, huh

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
wint tweet joke here; my gc miner is dying

I'm pretty broke now because i had to unfuck some extremely bad passive tree decisions with regrets, but I'm liking how this character now plays. I'll probably start working down towards the Scion life wheel and spec out of that AOE group near the witch start once I'm in striking range of Constitution. I think the only thing holding my miner back now is the fact that all my gear came out of the 1-alch-dumpster-bin.

I have like 20c to my name right now and i'm thinking about what i could do to progress further--more life (I'm at like 4.1k + MoM right now, with shield charge i feel like i could justify a Kaom's Roots?) and a 6L off of that one divination card are the obvious things to shoot for, but I understand that shaper/elder stuff changes the gearing picture a lot for GC miners. Does anyone have any advice?

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 20, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If my some miracle I haven't been booted yet, I (Ivrin) will have no access to POE while on vacation. Feel free to purge me for someone more deserving.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I've been working on leveling a Scion aura support character solo and I'm having some trouble killing stuff with a passive tree that is almost completely irrelevant to what I'm using to fight with (frost blades in a tabula). Is there something I'm missing here, or should I be taking a more normal skill tree and respecing into auras later?

e: I do have a fair amount of currency to play with

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If there's space in the guild, could I get an invite for character name Mistel?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Any trapper experts willing to have a look at my saboteur and tell me if there's anything obvious I'm missing? I'm dying often enough in t12+ maps that my experience bar has been jammed against 90.0 for a while now--mostly it's syndicate stuff that gets me. My plan was to try and get a hat that I could run decoy totem + multiple totems and phase run + increased duration in, and upgrade the amulet for one that had crit multi or something, then to just strap in for the long currency/atlas completion grind for a 6L tinkerskin or loreweave. I'll be out of town in a week or so and it'll be solid mid-league economy by the time I can play some more; is there anything in particular I should try to buy now?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
If I'm having trouble with red map sustain this league (yes, I know, I don't need the lecture on how it's Actually Very Easy, I've had a terrible run of luck) how bad of an idea is it to yank all the T10s out of my inventory and slam the run-as-shaped Zana mod? A random as-shaped "T15" for 6c doesn't seem like a terrible idea compared to a chiseled/alched/zana modded actual T15 for maybe 15c. Probably slower to make currency in, but I might make some of that time back not stressing out about my loving map pool.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean i'm at 140% map completion, i just ran my entire stash of T16s/T15s/T14s (like 20-25 of em?) fully chiseled and rerolled for decent quant and didn't get a single drop above T13. i might go and buy a lottery ticket or something and see where all my luck went.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
idk, maybe it's...ok? that people who have been playing this game for A Decade don't find it as challenging anymore? like a ton of what goes into the game being easier for you now is that you know exactly how to get the most out of the trade sites, path of building, which nodes to prioritize on the passive tree, EV for a ton of common-ish crafting situations, etc? i assume you have a ton less general friction to deal with than the rest of us?

in general most people find path of exile to be hard because they don't know enough about the game, not because they can't execute well in combat; i don't think anything can bring that back for you.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
what i'm saying is that if tomorrow they killed all the faceroll skills like arc, i kinda still doubt if you/meyer-briggs would find the game hard in any meaningful sense, and i get the impression that's what they were pining after

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
would you guys suggest skeletons or spectres if someone wanted to try out the summoner playstyle?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the trade macro is really, really, really stupid when it comes to rare items, like multiple orders of magnitude off in either direction stupid

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like i'm not on the NEVER USE TRADE MACRO train because it's kinda nice to quickly ballpark how much invariant items like maps and essences and most uniques are, but don't ever use it on anything with random mods

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in terms of an easy way to make it to endgame, i was surprised by how much damage spectres poo poo out with basically no gear. like level 19 skill gems and a 90% increased minion damage stick (10c) gets you to something like 500k dps per spectre blasting in every direction in a red-map-annihilating blaze of glory. you don't really get damage from your actual gear slots so you can just buy life + whatever (necromancers get so much resistance on their tree that you don't even need particularly good resistance rolls) for like 2c each.

you do just, like, occasionally cease to exist because you have 5000 hp and no defensive layers, though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just got my successful first solo uber elder, also deathless. HoWa Juggernaut is definitely sound, if expensive (by my standards). POB at kill time: https://pastebin.com/Vpw2u0gm

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think the big problem is that you don't have hard data on how much items are actually selling for? if you had that data, you could get pretty close to a poe rare item in 11-ish sparse features (six mods, base, link count, corruption, item level, shaper/elder/fractured). the hard part of poe pricing is learning the relationships between different mods, and multilayer ML models excel at doing that out of the box. it'd probably be like a day's work to knock something together in tensorflow or whatever.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think poeprices isn't even considering mod bigraphs which, uh, isn't going to give great results, no

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
people go to ridiculous lengths rolling high-red maps for packsize, and then just...skip memories? do they have shittier non-synthesized drops or something?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

pork never goes bad posted:

Yeah it's 2019 and literal nazis roam the streets, normalization is harmful.

risking the emptyquote probe

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

i refuse to be paralyzed by indecision, i'm going crit flickzerker. gonna start 2h, either into oro's or termie depending on availability, and then see how things shake out from there.

Do you have a tree/guide sitting around? This sounds hilarious.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jusupov posted:

Use scroll 33 or 35 and 2 elixirs to transform them to belt/boots

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i kind of like leveling at the beginning of the league but i'd appreciate being able to skip it after doing it once per league, especially since a lot of fun builds aren't really functional during the acts and i personally find the usual "just use sunder/arc/poet's pens" advice to be kind of unfun several leagues in a row

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i would pay unethical amounts of money for a stash tab that just routed things into the right premium tab

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wait; I know you can swap most gems in/out of a Raise Spectres link without despawning the spectres (like if you want to trade GMP for Slower Projectiles for bossing or whatever), how would that interact with Empower? Or gear swapping anything that changed the level of the Raise Spectres gem?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
As an alternative, I've been playing and having a good deal of fun with a Low Life Spectres build, having transitioned to it early in the league after getting a lucky payout from selling a 6L carcass jack, and if you're thinking about building a spectremancer with a hipster twist I can recommend it. Compared to the standard life version, it's expensive to start up, with three big ticket uniques (shavronne's wrappings, presence of chayula, mana to shield watcher's eye). But the rest of the gear is the standard CI set of cheap uniques (bated breath, sin treks, vertex, prism guardian), which means that gearing up is very simple if you have the currency to burn. In particular you get your +1 spectre from midnight bargain for 1 chaos instead of a crafted delve chest for hahahahahaha gently caress you.

With the Sovereignty, Leadership, and Influence wheels allocated, you can fit 100% mana reserved in your Prism Guardian and Midnight Bargain into your life. What you pick here dramatically changes changes based on your personal tastes, whether you have access to Aspect of the Spider / Enlighten 3+, and whether you were willing to path to the Charisma node, but imagine:

(offensively) wrath + zealotry + generosity in the prism, discipline + haste + skitterbots + flesh and stone out of mana
(defensively) grace + haste + discipline in the prism, all three purities + skitterbots out of mana

...or you could even play the old CI games with Vitality + Zealot's Oath and try to become unkillable that way.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
commander of darkness is nice on low life since you're basically wearing all uniques everywhere until you're gently caress-off rich

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think the act 8 fight against lunaris and solaris is really well designed, visually and mechanically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
its like the one fight in the game where the attacks and tells aren't exactly the same color as the ground and i guess go gently caress yourself if your eyes aren't perfect