Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This is my first full season in PoE, and I am trying the Winter's Orb build, and I had a question about how to play this build. When I watch videos, everyone is just running through non-stop, blowing things up, so how do they channel the spell that fast to move almost continuously? I spend roughly as much time stopping and channeling as I do moving around the map killing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Another for the guild invites: TyrantWD

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
9900 ahead of me in the queue, which is good since I still don't know what kind of summoner build to play.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
D4 doesn't sound like its going to be out before late 2022.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I will be away for a week, but will jump back in next week - please don’t kick me from the guild. Character name is same as forum name.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The biggest problem with the boss fights is all the visual clutter and stacking similar colors on top of each other.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Many thanks to the goon who was done with the league and gifted me almost 100ex in gear, including a Savior, 480dps foil, Impale Watchers Eye, Elusive + Tailwind boots, and Bottled Faith.

As someone who usually makes like 20ex a league, I feel like I am playing another game entirely.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The gameplay is apparently quite slow according to those who have played it. As someone who just recently discovered the joys of Flicker Strike, I don’t know if I could ever go back to something slow.

Flicker Strike is so much fun. It is impossible to tell what is going on 90% of the time, and once in a while I’ll get instagibbed by a juiced up t14-16 metamorph, but it’s just so satisfying to play late in a league when you don’t need to pick up much. Even with the occasional death, I am leveling so much faster than my nearly immortal mana guardian (who pretty much only dies when I want to test if a conqueror/super-ripped metamorph ability could kill me).

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The new jewels and notables sound really fun to experiment with, but I am unsure how much of an effect they will have until later in the league when people have discovered combinations and builds that you can buy ahead of time for an alt.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 25, 2020

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The worst part about Wolcen flopping so hard is that I now have nothing to play until the new league starts.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

It's the tankiest build in the game and it's one of the cheapest as it can use 100% uniques. It feels not bad at all for mapping if you have CwC Cyclone Ball Lightning for poisoning, on some Stampede boots with Arakalii spiders mopping up straglers and Flame Dash for faster map traversal.

It's a good build for people who want to snooze through Sirus fights without having to quit their day job to grind better gear. It's good to generally map with one button held down and not die to lag or disconnects and being able to get up for coffee when you're fighting Hydra and come back to it dead. It's a good build for hardcore and is popular there.

It is a bad build for getting much past 1m DPS. Hoag can't do things like Blighted maps where you have to deal with attacking in multiple directions or quickly killing multiple Proximity Shield enemies. It's definitely slow but this was a great league for it as Metamorphs are some of the rippiest content yet.

HoaG mana guardian was the only build I could kill Sirus with, since all boss mechanics give me a massive lag spike (Legion was hell the instant everything unfroze). I had around 2.5m dps on the crawler, and didn't have to worry about super juiced up T16 metamorphs or pretty much anything.

Playing something without that near invincibility is going to be quite a change.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
GGG got really fortunate with the timing of this league. Coronavirus suspended virtually all sports leagues this week, and everyone is staying at home with nothing else to do.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
After the herald nerfs, I'll probably move on to Animal Crossing and Hearthstone until the next league. I've already played cyclone, storm brand, ed/c, coc ice nova, zombiemancer at least once in the last 2 leagues (twice in the last 3 leagues for skills other than Storm Brand).

It is a shame that the new skills were such duds, because I'd have gladly moved on to experimenting with a Stormbind build.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Hauki posted:

frankly I doubt nearly as many people would’ve bought into it or been quite so pissed off if bex didn’t explicitly say they weren’t going to touch it this league

I sure as gently caress wouldn’t have sold my wander poo poo and leveled a guardian

That’s is really the crux of the problem. Honestly, the best solution after committing to not nerf herald stacking, would have been to leave all of the negative “unintentionally an aura” stuff as is, and fixing everything at once when the league is over. Multiplying degen effects etc. was something of a check on people magnifying the effects of auras that were never supposed to be auras. Or at least if they were going reverse course, hit all of the negative and positive effects when they made that fix.

This was clearly GGG being upset that the game was becoming too easy for too many people, and felt the need to act. It’s the same reason they won’t do anything about trade, and feel that it is already too easy and frictionless. Or the fact that visual clutter and not making things distinguishable is the top complaint on reddit, and they continue to double down on making things hard to see.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I was looking for one last build to play this league, but every decent build seems to require a bunch of fairly expensive jewels before you even get into gearing up, so it’s looking like time to move on to something else until next league.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
As boring as it may be, I think I am going to start with zombies as my starter, since I tend to have really slow starts with drops/currency and then play a 2H slam build once I have some currency. Zombies and ED/C are the two most foolproof starters in terms of getting you far into mapping while being able to be almost entirely SSF if you had a slow start.

My main goal this league will be to try and limit the number of alts I play. Last league I didn't even spawn Sirus because I played 9 builds in the 6 weeks I played.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

J posted:

Why are alchs so expensive this league? Does the general population still not realize you can roll maps with harvest? I feel like I've got more alchs this league than during currency explosion leagues.

I feel like they tweaked the alch drop rate. I have 4x as much chaos as I do alchs, and this is with me not needing to use them because I exclusively roll maps with seeds.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
The league looks fun and the new skills seem cool, but the supporter packs are complete garbage.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Pinball Jizzard posted:

I’m torn on this as well. ED/C is an insane league starter and super quick through the story, but it’s just so bland at end-game with little damage scaling for ST. I find myself nowadays only wanting to run a single character per league and CL looks like it could be a more fun arc.

The alternative is switching it to an Arc Archmage, but I’m unsure on which class it would be most appropriate to (trickster for Chaos convert?).

I have the same concerns about ED/C, but I figure I might as well start with it and then respec into a Hexblast build. I might pickup Hexblast at 34 and give it a whirl, and if it feels too clunky to be rewarding, continue on as ED/C until yellow maps.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
GGG need to move to 3 leagues a year. Skills are bugged, interacting with the league mechanic crashes the game, the league mechanic requires you to not kill monsters in a game all about killing as many monsters as possible, and then your heist can still bug out and fail to unlock the mission objective. Not to mention, launching the league in an incomplete state, with parts of it to come later this week.

They also do a remarkably poor job at creating new skills. What was the last new active attack/spell that was competitive with old abilities? Why do they keep designing new abilities encouraging you to stand still? Do they play their own game?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Papercut posted:

Does Archmage count?

The support gems and support skills have done alright. Earthshatter was a fairly good skill, so I guess that is one competitive new main ability since we got Bane/Soulrend in 3.6?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I know they claimed to fix heists crashing, but I am still crashing when escaping every other heist.

If this league mechanic was stable and worked, I’d be glad to see it go core.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
While they definitely overnerfed the league mechanic in this temporary state, I’m not sure there is a midpoint where the mechanic works. Increasing the alert level of the small chests forces the player to look 2-3 fewer chests, or loot all the chests and give up on the main objective. If the map layout is massive and you have large currency/delirium/unique chests, you will burn your alert meter on those, and 1 or 2 small chests, or it’s an essence/harbinger chest in a short map and you ignore the side areas and pick up just enough small chests to avoid triggering the alarm before looting the mission objective.

Ultimately the concept is flawed and doesn’t mesh with the type of game that PoE is. The map layouts and mobs should have patrol routes/fields of vision that would make it possible to be stealthy, and instead of these pointless crew members, you should have had to spend your rogue marks on equipment/tricks that could be used to distract/trick enemies. Running past enemies without killing them was incredibly stupid, but taking your time to kill everyone without a penalty is also stupid.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Lmao I just had a doctor card drop in a Heist. Had two attempted scammers before I managed to sell it. That's a nurse, a doctor and a fiend all within 2 days. This is by far the most currency I've ever had this early in a league. Also started using Vas's filter and it's wonderful not feeling compelled to pick up every lovely ring and belt that will never in a million years be worth pricing and selling.

Do you have a link to the filter? I'm still picking up far too much garbage.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I usually have alt-itis every league and play 6-7 different builds to 85+, with 2 usually maxing out around 93. This league I only played 2 builds, just because there doesn't seem to be as much to tinker with, and I've dabbled with so many builds recently.

I played two different summoners - LL Carrion Golems and Spectres. LL Carrion Golem dps is ridiculously high. Don't think I've had so much damage since pre-nerf Herald stacking. On the other hand, its a fairly glass cannon build, even with the high resists. You are completely vulnerable to physical damage, and I was far tankier playing the league starter life Elementalist golem build.

Spectres are just overall really strong. I didn't like redemption sentries in previous leagues because they weren't that aggressive, so you would end up running far ahead of them in between convocations. Syndicate Operatives on the other hand keep up really well, often clear things 2 screens away, and still have great single target damage. I saw guys like Balormage switch to frost auto-scouts, but I don' like gem switching, especially switching more than 1 gem for single target. I have phase run on left click and basically clear T16 as fast as I can move. This is probably the most satisfying build I played other than Heralds.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
My biggest problem with the Sirus fight, is the same problem I have with Metamorph, Legion, and Delirium, is that it kills my FPS and I get a massive ping spike each time a special ability is used by mob, which basically leaves my character unresponsive for a second or two.

I basically have to dash constantly and hope that I had started dashing when he says Die, because once the voice cue starts it’s too late. I’m running a 7700k and 1080ti, so while it’s not great, I shouldn’t be getting a literal slide show on breaking open a legion on a delirious map.

Heck, I still crash in Heists after umpteen patches, and have given up doing grand heists altogether.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Elentor posted:

Have you tried closing your browser and PoB?

For big boss fights like Sirus, I close everything, and still have that problem.

I don’t care too much while mapping since I can stand far away from any mechanics that occur and bosses die fast. It’s incredibly annoying though. I basically sell every delirium orb I get because I have to avoid Delirium as much possible. Delirium on its own at around 30 FPS in unpleasant but nothing to worry about, but if I have a breach/abyss/legion, or Metamorph boss in addition to Delirium, ill spend more time frozen than not until all of the new minions that spawned are dead.

I’m hugely thankful that summoner builds are strong because I basically just spam dash and wait for things to die in between freezes. I had an abyss and legion almost on top of each other in delirium and was able to get a glass of water and come back before I was able to act again. Even closing the game from my hideout takes 20-30 seconds, and I have the game installed on my m2 drive. I’ve got things turned down to low and alternate between DX and Vulkan. Vulkan performs better but crashes significantly more.

Edit: conqueror fights as weirdly the one thing that doesn’t cause any freezes or FPS drops. Veritania in particular should be my worst enemy, but is a completely smooth through all of her abilities and the storm raging.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 22, 2020

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Cyberpunk got delayed to Dec 10, 1 day before the likely new league start.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I think I'll probably start Zombies this league and transition into spectres. While its not the fastest start, it is the easiest and cheapest build to scale into red maps before making a second build.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
That was an overwhelming amount of information, but I like it.

It definitely reinforced my decision to go Spectres.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Was really hoping there wouldn't be spectre nerfs, but I did expect to see some. Hitting the gem and the Syndicate Operatives really sucks because you need to gem swap to use Frost Auto Scouts. I'll probably still go minions because I'd rather be running around dodging things while my minions kill things in 6/10 boss fights.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
GGG really don't want people to play minions or totems for a long time.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

When you guys plan characters in PoB, what do you do for items? Uniques, okay, whatever but rares? Do you just make your dream perfect rare or what?

I usually do a search on the trade site with whatever budget I imagine I'll be working with, and then copy one of those items over into PoB.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

euphronius posted:

They nerf things every league and people get upset every time I don’t understand

I think its more that the overkill of the nerfs that leaves the summoner play style effectively dumpstered. Specters and golems definitely needed to eat some nerfs, but with Specters they hit the gem really hard, hit the cluster jewels, the ascendancy, which hurt all minion builds, and the specific specter that was really overpowered. Minions outside of specters and golems were already pretty bad after the previous nerfs, and doing some of these across the board minion nerfs when they were already neutering specters and golems with other changes was unnecessary.

Unless GGG is going to surprise us by reverting some of the nerfs to skeletons and zombies (which is highly unlikely given how recently they were nerfed), necro summoner is looking pretty dead this league.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

awesmoe posted:

yeah true, it did take a while for people to realize how broken archmage was. those were the days. and nobody cared because heralds were actually busted.

Streamers had already shown the community how strong archmage was on like day 1 of the league. Heralds took a little longer to catch people's attention because you needed to get so many jewels.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Papercut posted:

Contagion nerf is super minor, for those who were thinking EDC.

EDC is probably not ideal for a boss-killing league.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

empyrian is my favorite poe streamer because you can feel rich vicariously through him

I can't watch him because the level of gear he is dealing with makes it look like he is playing an entirely different game.

For PoE, I watch Quin because he has the funniest chat on Twitch, and I'll watch nugiyen when he is build planning - although he can get pretty annoying sometimes because he comes from the Chris Wilson school where more friction/tediousness = more rewarding.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I'll probably start Zombies/Skeletons because it is can get up to yellow maps fairly steadily, and then figure out what to do from there.

It is a shame skeleton mages are still garbage.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

They said 50% More damage *and* that they attack faster, and you can give them the new Elemental pen gem. I wouldn't write them off so fast.

The new POB probably may not have updated the Skeleton Mage change, but it is still showing them doing a little under 1/3rd of the damage as regular skeletons with 4G Triad Gloves and the highest dps gems from POB. Even with 50% more damage and faster projectiles, and the benefit of attacking at range, regular Skeletons seem to still outclass them by a fair amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

I hope the Maven fight is good.

I hope there is a little more visual clarity than we have on the Sirus fight, but I fully expect it to be gray on gray, with half the difficulty coming from picking out the boss from the map texture.