Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Haven't played since Perandus league, but I'm jonesing for PoE and the Discord link ain't working. Could I get an invite to Pomgs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Every drat time I get back into this I spend about fifty billion years looking over builds that look cool/aren't guaranteed hell for a dumbass like me and I'm always impressed/dismayed by the sheer number of options and can never decide.

PoE rules is what I'm saying.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Bugsy posted:

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Divination_Distillate

(40-60)% increased Rarity of Items found during Flask effect
(12-18)% increased Quantity of Items found during Flask effect
25% increased Light Radius during Flask effect
+4% to all maximum Elemental Resistances during Flask effect

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Soul_Catcher

Cannot gain Mana during effect
Vaal Skills deal (60-100)% increased Damage during effect
Vaal Skills have 25% reduced Soul Cost during effect
Vaal Skills used during effect have (40-20)% reduced Soul Gain Prevention Duration

I wonder if they realized that effect with the new flask. Probably need a soul taker to really take advantage of this though.

Please explain. Newerish player and I don't really follow how these interact and am curious what the deal is.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

whypick1 posted:

Life/Mana flasks recover X amount of whatever or a period of time (unless they have the Seething mod, which makes their recovery instantaneous), but will terminate early whenever that stat reaches full. Soul Catcher prevents you from gaining mana while it is active, so if you activate Divination Distillate, provided you do so when you're not at full mana, then you get the effects of DD for its full duration no matter what. Add some Flask Duration mods to make it last even longer.

Soul Taker has the mod "Insufficient Mana doesn't prevent your Melee Attacks", which means you can actually, you know, do stuff, while being unable to recover any mana while Soul Catcher is active.

Ahhh, thanks. Was thinking Divination's actual function was the MF & stuff, not an effect tied to the mana gain. Reading comprehension ahoy.

e: and not knowing life/mana flasks terminate on total replenishment.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Just tried messing around PoE for the first time yesterday, not sure I get it. I have to say, the amount of things you're exposed to in a first playthrough is slightly overwhelming. The stats on every single item are blowing my mind. Maybe I've gone soft after a lot of games that have hand held me.

Why are the die hards insisting that PoE is amazing and so much better than any other ARPG out there? I don't quite see it yet, at least in the first 30 min of gameplay.

The game takes its sweet time building your power and speed. If you're new and/or without currency, you won't really get to see the "warps around maps thanks to item/skill synergy" thing for a while. Generally, sometime around act 3, when you get your first points into a specialization, you'll really feel a significant power boost... Maybe.

If you're new, check out the forums for a build to follow. Well written ones will explain most everything and you'll hopefully be able to gleam some mechanical understanding why it functions, which will help you better understand why you want some stats and not others, when you want those talents, etc.

This game doesn't really try to hold your hand and I think that's the appeal. It's kinda dumb in retrospect but I think the appeal for some, i.e. me, is learning to avoid pitfalls and conversely, knowing what really breaks barriers. System mastery at its worst.

That being said, I follow guides 99% of the time because :effort:.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Looks like PP Arc/BL is still on the menu, boys. :banjo:

I'm excited for the new patch! I had fun returning for Incursions and delves seems much more meaty.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Trying out the game for the first time (thanks Blizz) and I really love the Delve mechanic. Is it correct that this is a temp thing for the seasonal league? Does that mean it is gone forever next month? Also I regret starting out in Steam because any purchases are tied to my steam wallet. :smith: I could probably start over from scratch without issue since I am only a few hours in, but I kinda don't wanna. :(

The Delve mechanic is seasonal and will end on December 4th, yes. The good/bad news is the next league will introduce some other new mechanic, and that delve may come back in one form or another as a permanent addition. No guarantees on the latter though.

Any purchases you make aren't tied to your steam account only, though. If you decide to go with the standalone client, you can set up a GGG account through the PoE website and any characters or purchases you've made apply to that because it's the same game/account, essentially. IIRC you'll have to log in through Steam first but they'll give you can option to create a standalone account in your profile options on their website.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Loving the master rework just being dumpstering it wholesale.

Also surprised delve is immediately back up to bat! That was quick.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I'm pretty casual in comparison to some but honestly knowing gear progression is locked behind obscene grinding/currency has always been a bit turnoff for end-game mapping. Tying it to progression is a really cool move that I think will encourage me to keep playing if I know I can just bruteforce my way to upgrades through regular gameplay progression instead of hoping Vorici doesn't give me another "don't kill the target" mission as PP arc.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

OK this time for real I will Play This Videogame (once the league drops), so I'd like an invite to the guild, again. IGN RespondezSilVousPlait

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

rawr im a tree posted:

this has happened to me maybe once, in about 14,000 hours of play time

I don't put in an nth of the time that some people do, but really this. Whenever I'm selling the other person returns from "DEATHSLAYERS REALM OF INFINITE LOOTS" to buy my garbo div card or whatever for 1c in a couple seconds or if I'm buying everyone pretty much near immediately drops whatever they're doing even for the tiniest bit of currency.

Any time I'm left waiting is because this one person has this one item in a perfect balance of decent stats and affordability and like, whatever, don't dwell on it and just go off and do your own thing and if they're keeping an eye on things and want the money, they will get back to you more often than not. Go map, go progress through the story, whatever. They will wait for you if need be. Unless it's a wildly popular item in which case it's a non-issue.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Captainicus posted:

Good to know that trade problems don't really happen, but I'm not so concerned by getting certain uniques that I'm going to go back to standard. 95% of them just have slightly nicer stats or scale your damage in a slightly different way, and I'm not interested in some of the sillier ones like facebreakers or poet's pens or something like that, I'm satisfied with just using whatever I pick up.

Unrelated, but people always said a bow with +2 bow attack gem levels was a great upgrade, but then I find getting +2 levels on scourge arrow gives you +2% damage :mad:

I will fight you. Poet's Pens are goofy as heck in concept but poo poo if they don't feel so good.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

+% movespeed on all slots, you cowards.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Just in time.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Of frustation, of desperation, of necessity I cry
My efforts in vain, a self in ruins
I shan't return to this accursed place

In lusting for perfection, my own self I deny
A figure of twisted visage, akin in ferocity to bruins
Is that you, Chris? Is it you that spits in my face?

Too many fuses, too many chromes, why?
Four thousand orbs, gone
That's it, Path of Exile, I'm done

Wow, the next league looks great, let's sail!
I look in the mirror, I've become yet another whale

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I hope they're increasing the overall amount of sulphite gained otherwise because :sigh: delve can really only be fueled by scarabs and the nerf only seemingly makes it harder.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhyGS7Cyi3M

:catstare:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Path of Exile: Legion - Breach 2: Breach Harder

League looks simple but very murderkill, so very good. Skipped Synthesis entirely but they're bringing me back in with this.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Eminai posted:

I'm really hoping they don't go four league mechanics in a row that interact poorly with flicker strike.

Eventually they'll get to reworking flicker strike. It'll be either a skill that instantly kills you, or does nothing. 50/50. A great improvement over it currently, imo.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

don't reply to DNC, thanks folks

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Can't wait for 3.8's rerework of melee ascendencies.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Lmao at the helmet just being "you head a crystal".

Welp, I'll probably regret this but I wanna slam home that 36/40.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

There's a ring of purple crystals circling your head, though it's a bit hard to see in the lighting they chose.

In addition to the crystal that is now your head, yeah.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Lol necro looks amazing this league and is now spoiled for choice but goddamn if any build uniques aren't going to just skyrocket.

Besides, everyone knows poison is back, baby. :getin:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

It's cyclone league baby

It remains to be seen if they will 'unfix' cyclone but if not :hai:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Cyclone will still be very good, but merely out of meta because people never respond to these nerfs to merely very good instead of "league spotlight" very well.

What I am saying is,

Cyclone League is dead! Long live Cyclone League!

e: ^^ :hai:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Revert Poet's Pen to 3.5, you cowards.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

:chloe:

I know you have brainworms but lol at this completely baseless jump to conclusion.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Really the only act I've ever felt it mattered at all was 6, for fire. And even then if you do enough damage it doesn't matter.

That said, you're a summoner, it really doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure you can roll through the story on a single 4l white item if you are capable enough to avoid everything.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Intended to check this out during my lunch break today but got busied with something else instead. Glad I came to all this in one big sweeping reveal because :stare:

It all just sounds... Good! The gem slot change is completely unexpected but I'm rather excited to see how it plays out! If nothing else, I hope it means there's never any reason to swap weapon sets to access your ST/AoE skill, and/or that people can finally just give up changing gems manually to switch between the two (in tyool 2019).

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Rip in hell, shaping.

If nothing else it'll be a welcome change. That said, it just sounds like a generally more flexible mapping scheme which is cool and good.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

How do you even get to Izaro at level two? Can you somehow skip Hillock?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

That's weird as hell and please forgive my phoneposting/not looking at older posts. Namaste and god bless.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Path of Exile: It's Breach, again, but better, again

Can't wait for the minion revamp! Hopefully they'll be good again. We've had melee leagues for too long.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Hmm, I think I will choose...

*Looks at every build I've finished a league with since pparc died*

Cyclone again, yes. :hai:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I do have to wonder if/when cyclone will get hit. Ever since the "melee rework" (cyclone rework) it's been a pretty solid choice on its own, and now that it's profile as an engine rises I can't help but feel it'll pop into GGG's off/on meta radar sooner than later. I hope it remains evergreen because it feels pretty good but like... Hmm.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I'm going to guess this whole jewel thing is going to settle into figuring out whatever keystone+final notable combos are worth it and having everything else be trash. So like, maybe two or three possible combos for a few odd builds.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

PPARC'S BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS

:sickos:

Definitely going (for) broke to resurrect my long lost comrade this league.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Grand Spectrum (Viridian) x3
40% Goldrim
Wanderlust / Wake of Destruction
Berek's Grip w/ Level 21 Wrath corruption
String of Servitude w/ 60% Wrath Effect
-8 Cost Praxis
Karui Ward w/ Diamond Skin anointment
15/15 Lochtonal Caress / Maligaro's
5L Briskwrap

If leveling bow:
50% 5L Storm Cloud
50% 6L Tempest
Hyrri's Bite

If leveling wands:
2x perfect rolled Storm Prisms

I roll like 7-8 characters a league so spending an ex or two on the whole setup is well worth it.

Also quoting now for future reference, while I still remember to.

Sorta sucks knowing I'm doing cyclone, again, to start but hopefully this league I'll be able to quickly spin out of it into anything new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Papercut posted:

Why do cyclone again if you don't want to? It doesn't seem like it's gonna be particularly good for the league mechanic.

Basically have it memorized, I do like it, investment for yield is minimal, etc.

You're right though. I dunno. Maybe I'll do minions if they aren't getting super tanked.