Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Hello PoE thread. Now that I have a PS5 I'm trying this game again. I'm using the last weeks of this league to mess around and learn.

Had some PSN bux so I bought the First Blood pack. You get a Stash Tab and 200 points. Bought a Currency tab so I have 125 left. Seems like a Premium Tab and a Maps Tab are the most recommended things to get after that. I'm going to wait until they go on sale, but those are still solid buys, right?

I'm trying out GhazzyTV's Zoomancer build. Mainly because there's a trophy for having 40+ minions at once. If I can get that before the end of this league I'll be happy. Then I'll figure out what build to chase the plat with in the next league.

PSN is Static_Rook if anyone wants to help / point and laugh. I'll update as I fumble my way through the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Zoomancer update-

About to go fight Brutus later today. Mostly following the PoB build with SRS-Splash Melee-Minion Damage and Frostbomb. But I also threw on Raise Zombie with Infernal Legion because I had the gems and slots. So now I have flame skulls and flame zombie buddies. :supaburn:

I'm using the quick leveling guide on poe vault as reference, but stopping to get every waypoint and audio log on the way so I know I'm going much slower than needed. Hit level 11 before calling it a night yesterday. I'm getting better at not picking up everything that drops, but I still can't run past a big group of enemies. Must click and kill.

Edit - I'm also throwing all the Orbs, Shards, etc into my stash for now so I don't waste something useful. Oh yeah, I also bought the Fragment and Premium stash tabs. I'd need to buy more points for the map tab anyway, that can wait until next paycheck and league.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 13, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Made it to Act 2 with my Zoomancer. Died to Brutus once but other than that it's been smooth sailing. Hopped into a couple of those Wildwoods but haven't uncovered any of the important stuff you can find yet, just killed a bunch of monsters and got some orbs.

Still learning how to fully use / understand Path of Builder but I'm muddling through. Game has its hooks in me for sure.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I've usually got the PoB, Ghazzy's guide, and the quick leveling guide from poevault open while I play. And now the PoE wiki (I already knew anything Fandom was trash). I've already deviated from the guides a little and I'm grabbing any minion gem I can and jamming it onto my armor. So now I'm raising zombies, spirits, and skeletons, with the occasional spectres when I get lucky. Plus the cold, lightning, and infernal legion support gems. Pretty fun!

I even used my first chromatic orb to change the color of a socket. Probably too early to do that, but they've been dropping pretty steadily and I wanted to try it out. I'm slowly becoming less dumb. Very slowly.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

External Organs posted:

Btw, any item that drops with at least a 3 link of red/green/blue will sell to any vendor for a chromatic orb! Your item filter may highlight these items slightly differently.

Good to know! I'll have to check my item filter. I might still be using the Pohx one that's setup for RF Inquisitor.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Noob chronicles, volume 2:

• Almost done with Act 2! One more bandit to kill.
  • I found another leveling guide that actually laid out exactly what gems to take as rewards, etc from poestock. Didn't realize it was for an older league.
  • Switched from SRS+Zombies+Skeletons to Holy Totem+Skitterbots for a while because I didn't have enough STR to use Absolution
  • Re-did a couple points on the tree so now I'm using Absolution+SRS+Skitterbots, with Herald of Thunder. Probably not optimal but stuff is dying fast.
  • Found the first Wildwood NPC. Captured a couple beasts with Einhar. Found my first Vaal area. Man, there's a lot of stuff in this game, huh.

My progress is a little slow since I can only really play late at night, but I'm having fun. I found a couple of posts saying they used Animate Weapon + Vaal Skeletons to get the 60 Minion trophy quickly. I bought Animate Weapon and started keeping small, normal weapons to eventually use. My first Vaal area gave me Vaal Cold Snap so I guess now I need to find / farm more of them to keep trying for Skeletons.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Captain Foo posted:

Isn’t this vaguely how NoX worked back in the day

Harpoon + Berserker Charge ftw

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Brief noob update.
  • Beat Dominicus and made it to act 4. Died a few times but finally got it.
  • Unlocked the Scion
  • Beat the 6 labyrinth challenges, but haven't done whatever you need to do next.
  • I actually made my own Vaal Summon Skeletons! Only took 3 tries total. I know it's a simple thing, but it felt cool to not screw it up.

So I immediately changed out all my gems and threw on all the minion summons I had. But even with Vaal + regular skels, SRS, Zombies, and a spectre I couldn't hit the 60 mark. I had duration support and fast casting with SRS, but still couldn't get enough out it seems.

I read that Spell Echo is supposed to help, so I guess the next thing I'll do is finish the quest act that rewards it. I've also seen where you can buy a bunch of low level weapons then cast Animate Weapon on them, then Vaal Skeletons, then SRS. I'll try that too.

After that I think I'm going to restart with a different build and practice zooming through the campaign.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

wemgo posted:

Before you make a new character, you should do the Labyrinth. The entrance is in the Act 3 town underneath a statue on the northwest side of the encampment but still within the zone. If you zone out of town, you have gone too far.

Got it. I was wondering where the actual Labyrinth was. Makes sense!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

External Organs posted:

Dominus and his goons are a nice lil dps check. Also, I bet he killed you with corrupted blood (you can roll immunity on a life flask, very useful) or the pretty well telegraphed lightning slam he does.

whypick1 posted:

I'll put (imaginary) money on one death due to not realizing the connection between the blood rain and Dominus' proximity bubble.

Unrelated: Can't wait to see GGG do a live demo today and casually mention a bunch of times how stable their game client is.

I wish I could settle the bet, but I have no idea. I was running away from him, dropping totems snd SRSing my guts out. Probably could have slammed the flask buttons more. Luckily bosses don't regain health!

Also finished the first Labyrinth so now I'm a full-fledged Necromancer. Chose Mindless Aggression since it seemed good. Transfigured Absolution and the only gem that was useful to me was a Holy Totem of Ire so I picked that. Had to go back and buy another Absolution but whatever.

Tried the Animate Weapon trick for the minion trophy but it still didn't work. Had 20 weapons, 26 Vaal skellies, a couple regular skels and skitterbots, then SRS'ed and flasked as much as I could but it still didn't pop. I'll try again when I get Spell Echo I guess.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Torbnado

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Ayyy, finally got the Behold My Army trophy. Spell Echo was the missing piece. Collected 30 low level melee weapons, used Vaal Summon Skeletons, zombies, regular skeletons, SRS, and then Animate Weapon until the trophy dinged. Woohoo!

That's my main goal for this character done, but she's still trucking along without much issue. Beat Act 4 and about to start 5. I know your resistances take a hit so I've been on the lookout for better rings, etc. I'd love to knock out the rest of the campaign this weekend then take a break before the new league starts. Wasn't expecting consoles to get the same launch time as PC.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Beat Act 5 so this is officially the furthest I've made it in the game ever. Hooray!

My Cold Res is at 73% post Kitava hit, but the other two are 75. I used some nodes on the passive tree, which I'm sure isn't optimal but this character is a weird hodge podge already. Plus I'll only be playing it for a few more days anyway.

Next thing for me to figure out is Flasks. Hoo boy. Been upgrading with bigger / better ones as I go but haven't really looked into the whole system yet. I've got 1 Life, Granite, Quicksilver, and 2 Mana. I know I can replace one of the Mana ones but not sure with what yet

So if I have the story right, Kitava destroys the Symbol of Purity and kills you, but Sin rescues you at the last moment and gives you another chance? And that's why Part 2 has you going through Wraeclast again, but now it's corrupted / changed. What was the ending before Part 2 was added?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

wemgo posted:

Post-act 5 is you killing these rear end in a top hat gods as a way to save your friends and take their power for yourself.

:hellyeah: I'm down.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Deciding between Toxic Rain Ballista or Hexblast Mines. Luckily, I'm too stupid and new to understand why they're bad on console. They both seem pretty straightforward, leveling-wise and have pretty easy to follow Maxroll guides.

Haven't played in a couple of days because I got caught up in Bloodborne, as you do. Still hoping to finish the campaign and see a little of the current Atlas system before it becomes the "old" system.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Changed my mind again. Think I'll go Splitting Steel Champ. Looks fun and, more importantly, simple enough for me. But that will change a few more times before tomorrow.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I bought the Disciple Pack. So I picked up the Map Tab, and still have another 160 points to spend. I've got a bunch of cosmetics it turns out, I must have collected them from Twitch drops over the years.

Anyway now I've got 1 Premium tab and the Currency, Fragment, and Map tabs. I'll wait for the next sale before picking up anything else.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

goferchan posted:

It's straightforward to build, quite tanky, and scales nicely -- it's a really solid map-runner at low investment levels, but also has some great payoffs if you find yourself wanting to grind out some of its more exotic upgrades. Played it last league and would heartily recommend to a new player. Definitely prioritize running your labyrinths ASAP on this one because Champion gets some really stupid-good stuff from the ascendancy tree.

Hell yeah, sounds good.

Trying to get all my stupid work / IRL poo poo done before the league starts. Gotta run out and pick up an energy drink and some snacks, too.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I'm still posting because the league is apparently delayed for an hour on console. You can make a character and get to Lionseye but if you try to go to The Coast it just loads endlessly.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
drat, I was happy just to finish Act 1 before basketball started lol.

Splitting Steel is a rough start compared to the Witch I ran last season. But I just got Leap Slam so it should be much quicker once I get back to it.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Frank Frank posted:

I need to remember how to reassign buttons on console so I can actually use snipers mark for the time being

R3 to highlight the skill buttons, then use the right stick to select which button you want to assign. Hit X and that will bring up the skills bar, use the right stick to scroll through the skills and select the one you want with X.

If you're trying to change the L2 / R2 ones I think you have to hold that trigger down the whole time too.

It's clunky.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

marie_eh posted:

My Poisonous Concoction of Bouncing is getting 3 chains base. 4 total hits. Also there is zero chance the bounces on single target are random. It bounces all over the same mob. I can't test any other support gems cause I'm an idiot and playing ruthless but I think it might actually be pretty good

I looked up a build guide for that and it seemed really neat. Also way too complicated for me to understand yet. Flasks as your weapons? I barely understand the flask system as it is! Maybe when I have a few more leagues under my belt.

There don't seem to be that many Scion builds / guides in general. Is it a bad class or just too much hassle to be worth it? Seems like the Waste of Skin / Level 1 option from Fromsoft games which people are usually all over.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Got it. Seems like a good 3rd or 4th character kinda thing, if you still want to play after trying the other builds you had in mind.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ruggan posted:

Ok someone school me on leveling with SRS. It’s my first time doing SRS for witch leveling and it’s miserable. Bosses take forever compared to other leveling setups I’m used to.

I’m only L30 and I’ve only had 2 hours or so to play since league start, I probably just need to crush out the next 10 levels and get started on BAMA. Still…

Right now, running a minion wand, a bunch of the minion masteries, anger, and SRS linked with minion dmg, splash, phys damage. What am I doing wrong? Should I also be running a zoo?

The GhazzyTV guide has you take Holy Flame Totem to help with bosses and rares. That might help.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I got an Ice Shot of Penetration. :geno:

But now I'm saving a couple decent bows and quivers for a Deadeye build later :madmax:

I used the league mechanic a couple of times and got a decent cleaver for my off hand out of it. Seems like it will be cool once you have a good selection of traits to mess with. I'm already saving a couple that seem good. There's also a "Haunted by *some name*" one that will give you a unique if you get all the ones with the same name.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Going through Act 6 for the first time. So far I've had a Delirium thing, set explosives a couple of times, and now just did my first Heist contract thing. In addition to the Vaal side areas, beast hunting, and corpse farming...there's, uh, a lot going on in this game. Just kinda rolling with it until I get through the campaign and then I'll start looking stuff up.

Edit - oh yeah and the mining thing that I did once and forgot about. That, too.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I'm enjoying the league mechanic, but this is also only the second league I've really paid attention to. So I'm definitely on the left side of that bell curve meme.

Basically just walking around going "Set detonation charges? Okay, sure! Wait what's this Abyss line, guess I'll follow it. Capture some beasts for Einhar? Cool."

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Man, Act 8 is a bit of a slog, eh? Long, winding maps with seemingly fewer waypoints. I also disconnected a couple of times so that didn't help. Plus a shitload of poison at the start. I still have no Chaos res, but the others are 75%. Level 65 and everything is still dying pretty fast, I just have to be more careful where I stand now.

Did the Cruel Lab and killed Dawn before I got the patch message. If I'm still awake post-patch I'll keep going.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Made it Act 9 last night. That's good!
Equipped a couple of new rings and borked my res. That's bad!
Did some babby's first crafting and got most of the res back. That's good!
Tried making some high res gear in Necro farming... Can I go now?

But really, I was proud of myself for figuring out "Hmmm, my armor is only giving Dex. Can I add a modifier? No. Oh, wait. Orb of Scouring! Then just add Fire Res +30 on the crafting bench. Ayyyy, back to 75."

I'm still barely above 75 for the elementals, and just got out of the negative for Chaos, so I know I've got a whole lot of equipment shenanigans to do once I actually clear the campaign and get that second debuff. But that's a problem for another day.

Crafting question: Is there a difference between Normal, Magic, and Rare when it comes to 6 Linking chance? There's a trophy for making your own 6L with an Orb of Fusing so I've been setting aside a few items that dropped with 6 sockets. I bumped a few armors up to +20 Quality, but only want to try and 6L the one with the best chance. I'm waiting until I can farm / buy a shitload of Fusings because I've read it can take 1500-2000 tries to get it.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Keru posted:

You could also buy that Omen that makes the next orb of fusing you use on an item (with enough sockets on it) turn fully linked.

https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Omen_of_Connections

edit: forgot to answer the main question; no there's no difference in chance to fuse depending on rarity of the item, only quality matter, as far as I know.

Neat, thanks!

whypick1 posted:

You're in Act 9. It's a bit early to think about getting a 6L item and far too early to think about manually doing such a thing (because the right time to think about that is never).

Assuming you're trade league, 6L body armours are cheap as poo poo and 1500 Fusings are not (neither is that Omen).

Oh yeah, I'm just planning for the future. Can't buy the armor because you have to make it yourself for the trophy. It's not even for my build.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

goferchan posted:

I'm sure your build will eventually want a 6-link armor, so if you're trophy hunting just wait until you finish the campaign and settle on a piece you'd like to use, because you will blow through a lot of resources doing it.

edit: does the trophy specify using orbs of fusing? You may be able to do it cheaper by getting a corrupted 5-link armor and throwing a tainted orb of fusing at it. Gives you 50% chance at a 6-link. (but if it ends up at a 4-link instead, trash it and try on a new piece)

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Can't speak to the trophy but the Steam achievement is specifically with regular fusings iirc

Yeah, unfortunately the trophy / achievement description specifies creating it yourself: "Create an item with six linked sockets using an Orb of Fusing." I know I want Lioneye's Vision as my unique armor eventually, but I'm thinking of backups in case I get the chance to buy one with 6L already. Trophy brain is a terrible thing.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Almost done with the campaign for the first time ever. Even got the trophies for getting all the Pantheon gods and completing every side quest so I won't have to worry about them on later playthroughs.

Just have to go kill Kitava, BUT I just died 3 times trying to complete the Merciless Lab. Getting too impatient and leap slamming right into bunches of traps. That means it's break time.

Edit - I have 160 points and the Premium bundle is on sale for 165. C'mon, man!

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 5, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Okay, basketball done. Time for PoE

Tonight is the night I:
  • Beat the Cruel Merciless Lab
  • Finish the Campaign
  • Dip my toes into all this map / atlas stuff I've only read about.

Here we go!

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 6, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

whypick1 posted:

Edit: Oh, you should do Merc Lab before you finish the campaign

Yeah, I meant Merc. Doing that before the second res hit.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Frank Frank posted:

You’re the other PS5 player right? You should add me: MrFrankFrank

I will as soon as I get through this drat Cruel Lab. My PSN is Static_Rook

So far I've disconnected twice, died in the room before the last fight, and once on the last Izaro fight when he had a sliver of health left. Tedious AF

EDIT - Friend request sent. Died 3 times to Izaro's teleporting me right onto a saw blade thing. I'm done with this game's bullshit for the night. Time for some other kind of bs.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 6, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

External Organs posted:

My friend, you need some dark shrines perhaps! https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Mysterious_Darkshrine

You can see where they're at on https://www.poelab.com/

Frank Frank posted:

Do you know about Darkshrines? That final room is nearly impossible if you don't disable the traps in it especially if you get the room with the saw blades/spinning spike things. Keeping your distance from Izaro is extremely important as he has a couple big slams that will just instantly kill you and if you don't have room to maneuver, welp.

Go here:
https://www.poelab.com/

Yeah, thanks. poelab is one of the 5 or 6 tabs I have open whenever I'm playing PoE. Pretty sure I found a Darkshrine yesterday that said I was "Twice Blessed" but didn't know what it meant. It was just frustrating because I could facetank all of Izaro's moves - even the big slam only took me down to half health and barely made a blip if I timed the life flask right - but the teleport was instant death. No time to move or Leap Slam away. Just telepo--dead.

But I know this is just newbie whining. I'll give it another shot today with the reset. I just couldn't handle going through those same six rooms again last night.

Oh, one more dumb question: Does the Bismuth flask do anything if my resistances are already capped? I was switching out my Quicksilver for Bismuth before the boss fights but didn't check if it was worth it.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
And Cruel Merciless Lab is down! The layout hadn't refreshed yet so I could motor through the rooms pretty quickly. I did make sure to pick up a couple of Darkshrines and they helped. Lesson learned! Got a Brutal one and the one that turns off the traps in the final encounter.

Went and beat Kitava and finished the campaign. And got the trophy for unlocking all the Waypoints, too. Happy about that. I'm going to make a separate character later for the reading / hearing all the lore trophies.

Anyway, got to the first map boss and instantly got deleted 3 times so I guess that means it's time to do the big equipment, gem, and skill change. That will have to wait until tonight.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 6, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Frank Frank posted:

snip

Also also, send me the PoB for the build you're running and I'll keep an eye out for stuff you can use. I have a decent amount of luck when it comes to finding unspeakably rare nonsense.
I'm going to hit the gym and go grocery shopping but I'll be on later this evening if you want to group (?). I've never actually played in a group in this game outside of power-leveling so I have no idea how it works.

I'm using TbXie's Splitting Steel Champion guide:
https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/splitting-steel-champion-build-guide

and here's the PoB for it:
https://pobb.in/PAaHRLFegzDS

I'm level 75 and will have to spend some time finding / crafting / buying equipment to spec into the "Early Maps" setup of the PoB.

Happy to group up whenever, but I can usually only play PoE at degen hours when I can roll out the long ethernet cable without anyone else in the house tripping over it. Like 10pm EST.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Sorry I didn't try to party up yesterday Frank Frank. I spent like 3 hours crafting / orbing /etc to match the "Early Maps" version of the SplitSteel Champ PoB. My brain is now mush.

I did finally cobble something together, just missing 2% in Cold Res which I'll deal with at some point. But I'm also at like -41% Chaos Res which I know I'll need to deal with as well. For now I'm keeping the Chaos Res flask equipped since I don't really need the Quicksilver one anymore.

Then I spent another hour trying to figure out why I only had 9 mana unreserved. I thought for sure I screwed something up, but it turns out that's just how the build goes until the very endgame. I didn't actually read what Lifetap did, just bought and slotted the gems in where I was supposed to. Big "Ooooooooooh, I get it" moment when I finally read the description.

Anyway, I was finally able to run a few maps and cleared them no problem. I also did the Heist contracts that were stuck in my Inventory for some reason, seems like a fun mode but I don't really understand it yet. Also cleared out like 4 tabs of useless stuff in my inventory that had piled up.

Still confused, still overwhelmed, but still having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Frank Frank posted:

No worries. I picked up another lioneye chest if you still need one

Hell yeah. I think I have like 12 chaos orbs I can trade for it. That seems to be around the going rate?

About to watch basketball but I'll be on later tonight again.