Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do!

Is the game bad about explaining mechanics and such? I was hoping to just dive in

I left my life of diablo behind to play this build last league (with his guide from last league) and made it through a few of the end game bosses. Prior to that I think I made it out of act 1 one time a few years ago. I found the game explains enough for you to get through the campaign if you're also following a guide but you'll want to look for more info to progress into the endgame stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G-p8qacplk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I, a lifelong idiot, managed to understand that fire bad.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Arivia posted:

Okay, so one more check, unless it's terrible in a way he doesn't mention I think I've settled on Palsteron's 3.19 update to his elemental arrow ballista build he goes over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2152CGDS6d4

Does that seem reasonable or am I missing something?

I did well with two leagues ago when I made it past act 1/into maps for the first time(killed the easy version of the two new bosses). This league I'm trying the champion version that Zizaran has a video on and I think I like the higher defenses better as a new player.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also ziz is pimping a TR pathfinder league starter

I was going to ask you what to start this league as I've basically only played EA Ballista seriously and that guide you posted was super helpful to pushing past where I was at. Thanks for confirming this choice.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

EA ballista is a better build for killing end game bosses early league than TR, but TR is entirely good as a starter and in turn feels a lot better for mapping than EA. Plus after you're bored of it you can just convert it into non-chaos bow like lightning arrow or tornado shot.

You can also craft the +3 bow deterministically and it usually only costs 2-3 divines to do

Sweet rear end. I don't mind if it's not quite as good, need to learn some more of the game. I gave a mathil build a try and realized just how much I have no idea what I'm doing.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

theshim posted:

I keep trying to make a Caustic Arrow character work in PoB and I keep coming up with no damage. Even Vaal CA isn't going to be enough. Blaaaaarrrrggghhh.

Still no idea what to start as. I kinda want to do either CA or Blade Vortex but I can't figure out a good character and tree for either. I would happily accept help with this.

I've already done almost all of the popular league starters for this league and I just don't want to do any of them again, so I'm seriously stuck :(

I have no idea what I'm doing but have been told he does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyQYMen1-Fk

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Lol after working like 60 hours in the last week while having my one kid home sick most of the time I just got a call that I have to go pick up the younger one who won't be able to entertain himself while the league starts and his father turns into a slug

e: At least I got to see mathil's debut

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
https://twitter.com/GhazzyTV/status/1604916083856756736

Somebody figured it out

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Hooplah posted:

have you tried playing with hexblast mines yet? i thought pyroclast was lots of fun too, but the way hexblast mines auto target the nearest enemy and refuse to detonate unless there's a targetable mob nearby is amazing qol over pyro

How does that compare to Astral Projector, if you know? Trying to decide on a second build

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Keru posted:

Still using Hexblast? The reason you go for Mines with Hexblast is because it ignores the hellish recast timer on Hexblast, so you can use it to spam murderbombs 5x/s without any real investment.

Should have been clear, I meant the hexblast autotargeting vs something like shockwave totems with astral projector.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Hooplah posted:

and i was assuming you meant staying a miner but using astral projector with pyroclast mines so it auto-targets like hexblast. that would be worth a shot i think

If I end up giving it a try I'll report back

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

it is unbelievably worth it to learn one or two of the leveling builds pretty well if you're going to play a bunch of poe

Which are those? I could certainly use to speed up that process.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3828536&pagenumber=2160&perpage=40#post511396138

this is still basically unchanged for caster leveling

you 100000000% want to be doing the wand (or sceptre) damage vendor recipe as seen here as soon as you have the resources https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUSltx2INl0. If you can do the level 8 one it will make brutus a lot quicker. If you have multiple alts, do two and/or another at 14. during act 1 and early act 2 your job is to find two alchs or essences and two rings of your chosen element (reminder you can vendor a gem+iron ring for a resist ring). the level 20 wand crafts will carry caster leveling pretty much to the end of the story or until you find something significantly better.

for bow leveling the absolute dirt simplest at league start is to just level caustic arrow/tr or pconc, depending which is closer to your tree. Maxroll has a good guide on that I believe. You actually don't really need almost any damage nodes to get through the story, so there's not much respeccing necessary even if you're switching to ele bow.

idk if wuxi wrote up catr leveling, if there isn't a writeup around I can write one up later when I get home.

Thanks! I've seen the caustic/tr guide I think. Most of my problem at this point is just knowing what are the actual worthwhile builds when most are claimed to be ssfhc uber viable day -1

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Was Astral Projector or Shockwave totem effected by the changes?

I just spent two weeks learning about stuff that apparently doesn't apply anymore so I'm now afraid to start something I'm not familiar with. I'll just slog through the early game at my normal glacial pace.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Deki posted:

God, I'm stuck on builds

SRS Poison would be neat, I haven't actually done it since it's close to the build I've liked playing the past 2 weeks, just better in nearly every way. The small nerfs/changes might scare off a bunch of people, and other poison builds were nerfed which might make it cheaper?

Frost blades/Ice shot look kickass but I'm afraid heatshiver might get bumped up in rarity and leave me with a mediocre build beforehand

Bane was kind of fun last league but sucked rear end at Ritual. Maybe it's better now?

I've heard great things about boneshatter but I haven't dug too deeply to see how it works or even mitigates the self-damage

According to subtractem bane isn't worth playing thanks to some changes I can't remember and probably wouldn't understand well enough to explain. He mentioned it in one of his shorter recent videos about the fire trap build.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Nice accomplishment! Do you have any recommendations or guides that I could review?
  • There's one in the OP that's 2 hours long and the OP says most of the relevant information is in the first 15-30 minutes... but even a lot of that was complex for me.
  • I'm playing this league season and it's basically my second-ever time playing PoE.
  • I've already invested like 6 hours into the game and I'm level 24 and just got to Act 3.

I'm really excited to learn how to go faster because I feel like I was moving at a decent rate but clearly there's room for much improvement. And dealing with bosses is especially interesting because even when I'm supposedly "overtuned" it took a long time for me to beat some of the bosses (not dying, just literally doing enough damage to kill them).

E: oh also - sometimes my mana meter gets chunks concreted off the top. So that my mana only fills up to like ~80% of what the meter could normally hold. I assumed it was some debuff but I couldn't find anything in the character pop up.

https://heartofphos.github.io/exile-leveling/#/

You can paste your build into this thing and it has most of the useful tips in order, along with what gems to buy. Might be too much info but I find it helpful since I've only been playing a couple leagues.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Noob question. I'm following this build. https://pobb.in/owoAduEa5Mnz One you get to the 40+ version of the skill preview, it shows a cluster of skills in the top right of he tree that isn't connected to the other skills. What are they and how do I access them?

Sounds like your class ascendency https://maxroll.gg/poe/getting-started/labyrinth-guide

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Bardeh posted:

I didn't know the vendor trick, and I didn't know that Kirac sold maps! Thanks guys

Every time you do one of his missions his inventory resets so use that to fill in what you can.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I reformatted my computer before this league and couldn't figure out why awakened poe trade wasn't returning any results when I was searching for items. Turns out when I reinstalled it defaulted to ruthless. Goddamnit, Chris

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Zotix posted:

If I liquidate my heist trinket today I'll have enough to buy a mageblood and have 10 divs leftover. I might try to farm a bit between calls today and see if I can up that number a bit. I've only played one build this league which is impending doom occultist. Any ideas for a solid final build with a mageblood? From what I read online, everyone says every build with MB because it just dials everything up that much. MB wasn't in the game when I played last so I'm excited to see the hype.

I'm considering CoC forbidden rite, but crafting the upgraded tailwind and CDR boots seems like it could get pricey quickly and maybe I should farm more before switching.

Do you have a chaos to divine trinket? I didn't realize trinkets got very valuable before your post.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Zotix posted:

Yeah the Chaos to Divine trinket. I bought it like mid last week. I'd sell it for what I bought it for and It'll put me over the hump. The first day was rough, and I didn't see any divines. I was like "Come on, I've played enough WoW to know that 1 comes up far more than I'd like, this has to pay off." But then each day since then I've seen multiple multiple-drops of divines. like a non-insignificant amount. Heist has grown on me and I like it more and more each league. The set up sucks, sure, but it's incredibly solid money and stacked decks fly off the shelves, probably my most consistent money this league. I have a buddy who maps, and I have him run one of each heist sextant, and then I just buy the contracts/ blueprints off of him rather than TFT. So I'm getting solid blueprints, and all contracts have heist implicits like 3 extra reveals upon completion, or double rogue perks(so 2x Gianna reveals for completion). I really should have gone into it big on like day 2 instead of like 7/8.

Interesting! Maybe I'll give it a more serious try soon. I'm probably a lot better at avoiding death than the last time I attempted heisting.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

nexous posted:

As for my Poe career, I’m hitting diminishing returns on my altered subtractem fire trap build

https://poe.ninja/challenge/builds/char/notnexous/thaihot
Note that the frostblink is actually 7linked with ignite proliferation from crucible. It kills pretty much everything instantly except for fire/ignite resistant rares. The denser the map the better it works just zooming around with frostblink.

Working on crafting a better staff, thinking about switching to cluster jewels.

It’s not a good build but it’s very satisfying to kill 300 dudes with infernal cry after popping a couple breaches.

Not sure if I want to make a new char or wait for next league

Was going to ask whoever posted about doing his build as frostblink primary to post what they did as I'm currently switching over myself. Will steal some of your ideas

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Either I'm going to hit it big or uninstall myself right at the table

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I had a divine and a 5 link drop in act 5 while leveling my second character. I've probably used up all my luck for this guy

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Akiosan posted:

This is my first season actually doing T16 maps so I am green as hell. I currently have a harvest/eater atlas build and think I want to switch over to exarch for less RNG when it comes to currency generation. You have an atlas build I can look at that has harvest/exarch so I can respec? Thanks!

Also fairly new to the game, started in Archnemesis, but I've been doing exarch, harvest, shrines, essence based on some tree I found on youtube. And then there are some points left you can add where you'd like. I don't have the top exarch nodes allocated but maybe I should?

https://poeplanner.com/atlas-tree/B...AMDAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit no strong box: https://poeplanner.com/atlas-tree/B...wAAAAAAAAAAAA==

Oh and I use the backlog of Niko kirac missions I have with Packed with Energy

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 1, 2023

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

whypick1 posted:

It's odd that you have the currency + div card dupe Strongbox reward nods and nothing else in Strongbox (Twice Tempted is right there dude).

If you're just focusing on altars only The Light of Dawn makes some sense to grab from that top wheel. Baptised by Fire helps if you're farming invites and obviously Thirst for Knowledge is if you're giga-chad, while the small nodes are just poo poo.

If you're going the route of investing into forcing mechanics onto your maps with Scarabs/Sextants/Kirac, I'd grab Stream of Consciousness as well.

I used some open tab I had with a different atlas and missed removing those strongbox nodes.

I'll try adding the top nodes and see how I like that. Can you use Growing Hordes and Stream of Consciousness together?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

totalnewbie posted:

No, you cannot use them together.

So here's a couple things to consider:
Shrines don't really give you anything other than more mobs. You're not juicing content that scales with just "more mobs", i.e. farming crimson temple, juicing delirium, etc. It makes your maps a little easier but it's not really worth it, especially when you're missing points.

If you're scaling pack size, expedition scales very well with pack size while essences literally do not scale with pack size at ALL. You're also not taking the node that literally triples your essence income (Amplified Energies) so I don't know what you're thinking there. That node is THE reason to do essences.

If you're going to packsize juicing with exarch, I suggest something like this:

https://poeplanner.com/atlas-tree/B...wMAAAAAAAAAAAA=

Thanks! Appreciate all the help. The lack of thinking is just not being aware of what's best, yet.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Frank Frank posted:

Can you not put crucible trees on bows? Wtf? I have a couple bows (one 6 link) I wanted to use to tick off a challenge but apparently I can't?

Is it unidentified?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

dyzzy posted:

I've had crucible bosses sub 100

Same, 90ish in case it matters. Got some achievement

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Sample_text posted:

I took a look over the list , I might have a look at Caustic Arrow .
I looked up some of the builds associated with those top skills and many of them look really boring (for me, not saying in general).
A lot of totem stuff, summoning those floating skulls (which seems to have never gotten out of style), some AFK righteous fire "kill people by running into them and doing nothing".

I looked up Toxic Rain, but jesus christ that just looks awful. Your entire screen is just filled with those poison pods , they aren't even semi-transparent, you can't see poo poo .

I have no idea if I can salvage my Ranger through re-speccing, but right now I am feeling the burnout from having leveled up 4 entire characters and only having one of them be decent.

This is going well for me and has a pretty active play style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9p9Q7YYSeM

No clue if it's an ancient skill that everyone's bored of or not.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Mathil used Lightning Warp in a couple builds recently and liked it a lot, but it's Mathil. I tried one of them and had a lesser level of success.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

euphronius posted:

I did the COC bow one he did a awhile back and it was glass cannon in the extreme

Hes be somewhat more tanky lately.

Yeah that might have been the same one. I was wondering why he didn't explode every 10th pack he teleported into like I did.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

whypick1 posted:

Short answer: he's Mathil and you're not

Yeah I mean youtube recommends me ~10 year old videos of him being good at the game. A minor skill and experience gap.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

whypick1 posted:

Harbinger is kinda lame these days, but what if I told you could really REALLY hit the jackpot on those encounters?

(You will not, of course)

Apparently I'm ~80 chaos richer than I realized after last night.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I guess the beef inspired me because I crafted my own weapon and then beat Sirius to get my 4th voidstone, all firsts for me.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Leatherhead posted:

Wait, am I crazy? Sirus doesn't award a voidstone, does he?

Yeah I worded that wrong. It was a productive night and I forgot everything I killed. Did feared or whatever but it's treatment me maybe 7 attempts in 3 leagues to finally get Sirius. A lot easier when you have enough currency to buy a bunch of fragments and make a few attempts in a row.

Sad state of the game when the noobs can kill the bosses without even remembering their names.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Reiterpallasch posted:

phys dot wander champion

What's this?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

whypick1 posted:

This basically: https://maxroll.gg/poe/build-guides/corrupting-fever-champion-league-starter-guide

poo poo out hits with KB, stack a bunch of Corrupting Blood on enemies, have them explode for awesome clear.

Thanks!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
What is up with poo poo sitting in my sell tab for weeks and then I get 2 offers within a minute? Has happened 3 times in the last day. Is it people switching characters and resending the offer or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Qwertycoatl posted:

Also if it's a popular item, it's possible that the price went up and your item is now the cheapest so it's you who gets spammed

These are just random weapons with crucible trees I have waiting patiently in 1 div dump tabs. And it's different names sending the request. I usually tell the 2nd person sorry it's gone.