Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Anyone know of any recent Divine Ire builds I could look into for next league? Been planning to try that one next, but I've had a lot of problems trying to get old builds working with all of the passive tree changes alongside possible nerfs from when the guides were made.

Or is that skill just gonna be hot garbage at the moment?

I did one this league that was pretty successful.

Converted half to cold, slap on awakened added fire and use Omniscience to paper over the penetration problem. Divine Ire is probably one of the best positioned self cast spells because additional enemies greatly increases its damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

Probably going to start DD. Can someone explain the specter to me- which one is it, do you have to level it or anything?

You get an auric colossus or auric champion. They're statues in act 3. They dodged the life nerf to 360 and instead have 576 so you do 60% more damage with them. I've never used the stuff before but I think with the changes you just have to have it as a spectre going into a zone and it gets into your desecrate table as long as you don't replace them with other spectres and you don't need to have them alive/active anymore. Double check this last part.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Using two unique weapons is a pretty tall order. Minions do half damage with ailments too; it's going to severely limit any minion poison build versus just scaling chaos hits.

I keep wanting to minion instability some zombies but the ailment thing gets in the way.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I went with Occultist cold DoT to start which uses Wintertide Brand. My first time using brands and I'm a little confused on the mechanics.

It looks like I cast it on a guy, it attaches and starts a DOT. When its done it does another bigger AoE effect. I got the node that makes it switch targets all the time which I think triggers the Aoe?

It's hard to say whats happening, I just throw them out and things die at a reasonable rate. My biggest question is what Brand Recall does and when to use it. Or any other gameplay tips would be helpful.

You can put on two wintertides naturally and spec for a third. When the brand leaves the target or expires it leaves wintertide's end which is a short debuff that does the damage of the brand in an area.

Wintertide brand is never super long lasting and because you need to keep three up and constantly rebuild your stages on new brands I think cast speed is pretty important. Bonus duration to help reach max stacks/make wintertides end longer helps a lot. It's quite an active playstyle compared to most brand/dot builds because of the short duration. Brand recall isn't terribly useful on wintertide brand I don't think.

I'm not sure how I feel about the league. I'm currently playing an extremely off meta dual damage type caster which is particularly weak to the archnemesis modifiers. I like janky builds but league starting them is always a high risk of failure. Even just access to elemental penetration support would help a lot.

Dot that don't require hitting are significantly better off with these dumb mods.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I play the game in a weird way. I tend to get bored in maps and reroll all the time. Sometimes I push end game, sometimes not.

Anyway long story short I've been spamming new characters recently. 6 characters in a row now I've had an exalt drop in the story, none from sentinels. Most of them before killing kitava, the most recent only two levels off the earliest at 37.

Just an absurd stretch of luck in the lowest stakes way possible.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Trickster has been my favorite ascendancy for a while and I'm pretty happy with the rework.

I'm surprised people are having such a positive reaction to it considering how much offense got dumpstered. I guess people never noticed it was giving you 36% attack and cast speed and that's gone now. You're going to have to jump through another hoop for mana reasons too. I'm going to play it because I do that anyway but it feels like an average ascendancy better suited for hardcore.

I think hexblast might end up a meta skill. The new mark opens some interesting poison/ignite builds with it too, but that's rougher to put together.

Edit: Thinking about it more my last actually good trickster was divine ire and that guy is quite significantly worse from this revamp.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 12, 2022

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Which is to say, really comes down to how the drop rates end up. Guess we'll find out soon!

Do you do league mechanics while leveling?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I always do league mechanics because I find the challenge fun usually. The leveling uniques will be a major dopamine hit so I'm going to do the league as aggressively as possible. I enjoy leveling anyway.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Conduit looks extremely busted. If you can use storm brand or ball lightning to allow bursts of chain casting it's going to be insane.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I'm not sure how I feel about ruthless. It seems really nice for HC grindlords but that's not me. I like the idea of it but getting stuck unable to advance in maps or even add and enjoy league content to maps would put me off of it.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I wonder if “vulnerable” is defined as “negative resists” or only “cursed/exposed but not necessarily negative”

The previous system would say vulnerable or resistant based on their resist number. Chris said 10-15 or something, wasn't quite sure, I thought it was just taking it off zero. Either way, it's the number that decides if they're vulnerable not a certain status.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Noper Q posted:

Considering Earbreaker totems with Volcanic Fissure because I have to be a special boy with a special build, clearspeed be damned.

I'm also considering this. It seems like totems is right for it because it's molten strike with +1 projectile, no flat damage, and 20% less attack speed. I guess GGG thinks seismic cry is still in the game or something if that's the penalty for being a slam. I think the clear speed will be okay. If you can actually frozen legion with ancestral bond specced it doesn't actually seem that bad.

Traxis posted:

Is this a net damage gain when you factor in the loss of pen from the jewels? Also the loss of proj speed on the gem hurts since you can't get it from the jewels anymore either.

Depends on how much resist changing you're doing and how good the jewels are that are replacing the uniques. Given the context of new full power curses I'd say this is an increase in damage. With heatshiver you're definitely way better off now.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite part of the live stream was the demonstration of the atlas gates using an extra passive to use the gates rather than pathing there. That just tickled me for some reason.

I also can't believe people are so upset at the nerfs. I think the new masteries are so much more interesting.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I think the math works out that it's kind of a wash for fitting in a couple 50% auras and utility stuff but worse for flat mana auras. The extra mana from forced speccing into mana can help some there too. GGG is going to make you spec into mana nodes whether you like it or not.

Also make sure not to tell anyone this but is that return projectile normalization going to work for vengeant cascade too?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

xZAOx posted:

I think Manaforged has some potential for people who know how to make builds (aka, not me) will do some real interesting stuff.

Or maybe it'll end up like Link skills and suck.

Going to be really interested in this if it makes an indigon bow build very good. Excited to see the skill gem.

I haven't played a bow build in forever and I'm pretty convinced that this league will be incredible for bows. I hate dropping totems for supplemental damage but I think there are decent enough ways around needing this now.

My other league start idea is potentially a spell slinger sabo.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 1, 2023

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

McFrugal posted:

Oh is THAT how it works? I thought it was just going to give you 10% of your damage hit instantly.
With some investment that could get a decent amount of extra lgoh I guess.

The only investment available is slayer to increase it to effectively 2% of life leeched instantly. And then dual wield claws could go to 6% I suppose. If I'm remembering my mods correctly.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

External Organs posted:

:haibrow:

Edit: how much faster casting do you want for penance brand? I know it's a ton...hiero just got a shitload of cast speed...

I don't think penance brand has a special interaction with cast speed aside from wanting it. If you don't have enough cast speed to fully stack it your booms aren't as big which is reduced dps if you have "too much" cast speed it spills over into doing little hits which is increased dps. Increased cast speed means increased damage, so get cast speed. I've read guides that seem to think the spillover damage is unwanted and makes you lose dps and I don't understand that.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 3, 2023

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Also a small detail, any sources of “more” cast speed actually don’t affect brand activation frequency - only “increased”. Very confusing.

I successfully managed to say increased instead of more for the damage but then forgot to on the cast speed. I didn't mean more in the poe sense but it would be increased correct to fix the cast speed portion with how many people want to echo their brands.

I still don't understand the worry from going over 20. You don't lose damage doing it, but you lose time because your duration is too long and things could in theory die earlier if you reduced that. It seems to be implied to reduce your cast speed if you go over 20 which isn't a real problem unless you're making too many sacrifices to get there.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

25% reduced Totem Life
Totems Explode on Death, dealing 600% of their Life as Physical Damage

Since soul mantle hexes you when totems die and that works with spamming then in theory this could be spammed for a bunch of phys explodes right?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Anyone know if the chill on hit mace mastery requires a source of cold damage to get more than base chill?

It makes all damage chill, you need no cold.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

If you're full life and hit something does that count as leech getting removed from filling life or do you have to actually have life missing and fill up? This is meaningful for the recovery mastery too.

Momentum doesn't look heinously bad. In the faq you get the attack speed for the first and last attacks. So low level momentum will give you 1, 2, and 3 momentum worth of attack speed, that's workable early game I think, especially for ranged attackers.

Bow damage on the tree has been significantly trimmed in exchange for the extra arrows. I'm league starting it and I'm pretty sure I'm going to hate it.

Vaal reap is going to cost a lot of life. Make sure you have your recovery well and truly squared away for that. I was thinking about getting fanaticism by spell slinging exsanguinate but that sounds like a dumb side project I fail later in the league.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I got an 800 edps bow before finishing the campaign and now I'm despairing knowing my character is going to get comparatively weaker as I advance through maps.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I want to double check and making sure I'm understanding these crucible mods right.

The 25% chance to deal 100% more damage with bleeds with venom gyre will stack to be 50% chance to deal 100% more damage right?

And the rolling magma 100% more area will stack multiplicatively for 4x right?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

No Safe Word posted:

I'd have to re-watch the original exilecon stuff but I believe they said it was fewer jewelers to 6 socket a gem than average fusings to get a 6L now.

But I'd be surprised if we didn't hear a bunch of the answers to this in the next few days.

It's supposed to be easier but you want multiple six sockets and that is supposed to be harder.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

theshim posted:

poe 1 and 2 separate games :O

They really want to slow poe 2 down I guess.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I hope they eventually stop repeating dumb things like champion's melee damage on the small nodes. Having dead travel nodes for an ignite build feels terrible.

InventorOfTrees posted:

POE1 has been on life support for the last year and a half with only eight people working on it.

No loving way.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

I've been watching this guy for awhile and he loves numbers instead of Mathil or any other PoE player who don't really back anything up.

This is him going into each and every chieftain tree and argues that all, but one, are worth less than what Chieftain originally had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCW4tUWXSMY

Summarizing the transcript for the first three but he does go into each one.

Watch the video for the rest.

He's hyperbolic and myopic. Of course when you invest heavily into reducing resists of the enemy getting a node that puts their resists at 0 is bad. I've seen people make the same argument to say that inquisitor is bad. That node is bad because it does nothing for hit builds and does nothing when you're moving. You can't say you're "being generous" and then ignore the use case of fighting a 200% fire resist mob with life regen that's functionally unkillable but with this node gets rolled over. It also means you do not have to invest in resist lowering mechanics and can use a defense curse or alchemists mark, though the mark kind of sucks with fire trap and flame surge existing. You can invest into it if you want. You run into a problem when you invest nothing into lowering resist counting on the node and then your build is poo poo when you have to dodge constantly.

The 5% chance to explode for 500% life is insane on builds with 100% ignite chance. Berek's respite should full clear everything, even dropping simulacrum bosses almost instantly with it. In dense packs you should obliterate the rares on hit builds too. Hopefully the area is decent.

The totem node is interesting. It's the type of node that's probably pretty useful but nobody will ever use.

The slam/strike path sucks because Tawhoa sucks without a change, hopefully that's buffed.

I don't think the ascendancy is overall very good, especially when fully min maxed but it has use cases especially against lovely map mods on terrible gear. I just hope they change the standing still to something like ignited recently if they don't want a permanent 0 fire resist.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I was thinking about the jewel node from the new chieftain and decided it would be pretty good around the scion area to turn the physical/projectile/spell damages into fire damage at mostly triple the rate because you can have three jewels there. Then I learned that projectile and spell damage are not damage types and became very sad. I cannot figure out a use for that ascendancy point at all. If you went full fire damage on axes it could make some bit of sense but you're probably wanting to convert from physical anyway.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I think they're just making fun of me, not you.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

The first person to put together self ignite chieftain running around with a giant ignite proliferating off themselves from 500% corpse explosions is going to have a good time I think.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Well my league start plan to use fated end to get temporal chains capped duration has kind of been blown up. It honestly needed a nerf, 4xing your damage is too strong for a curse.

Ignite attacks and bleed are getting a lot of love, will be interesting to see if it's enough.

Edit: Vengeant cascade seems really good for splitting steel now, a lot less generic power there.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 11, 2023

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

For as much as people whine about needing to stand still for 6 seconds to reach max dps on a 6 second poison build (you don't actually) people sure are ignoring that trauma adds a ramp up time to your build. If you're counting on max trauma stacks you're adding an honest to god 6.9 second ramp up time to max dps with the revealed gem. It's an incredibly powerful support but it will always feel below its PoB numbers if you aren't modelling a realistic trauma average.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think there is normally a queue by about an hour after launch.

The guardian auras being so powerful makes the whole chieftain rework even more perplexing.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

FZeroRacer posted:

I mean...lol

It's better but it's still a dead node.

That's a huge buff. It will make dealing with 80/200 fire resistance monsters easy and it's good enough to use on pinnacles with alchemist's mark or punishment. Still an issue with standing still so you'll have to build tanky to get the most out of it. I was thinking of doing a hit based chieftain which is certainly bad and this makes me think I should probably just go ignite since that will be great assuming berek's respite is still common.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

FZeroRacer posted:

on any fight that matters even a tanky build is going to need to move, and assuming in a good fight that you are stationary for ~80% of the fight you are dealing less damage than a comparative build that's just debuffing elemental resistance through a combination of flammability / combustion / exposure , and at the mid to top end it gets worse when you factor in +1 curse sources and more ways to shred resistance.

the problem is that the moment you move, your ignite DPS quickly converges to 0, especially in situations where you have a high fire resistance enemy. the best way to think about this is that the primary benefit of ignite dps is uptime, this node trades ignite uptime in favor for saving theoretical gem slots and gearing. and it gets worse in fights where bosses move around frequently because defiled forces is incredibly good for ignite uptime but you get no benefit out of it with this node. unless you use punishment lol.

It's still worse than alternatives in the situations it's bad in, but by significantly less than before. It's even better in the situations it was fantastic in. I don't think this makes this an out and out good node still but it's in a way better position. If you're farming pinnacles it remains bad.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Any first hand experience with how busted guardian is?

I'm almost immediately regretting not playing him.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Chieftain corpse explode is pretty large. I'd suspected it likely had a bigger radius than standard corpse explosions. It's pretty funny.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Divine Ire - pretty decent buff. Lost its double stages from hitting uniques so the buff isn't near what it looks at first glance and will be worse in places with multiple rares/uniques. Ignite version is no longer a meme.

Penance brand - I think people have brand in their head and thinking automatic damage. With two brands on it will explode every second but you have to spend 1.5s casting two brands. You cannot achieve that damage until you have 3 remarkable (medium cluster) notables. Once you do it will take .75s of casting for every 1s explosion. It won't play like a normal brand build, you'll need to be casting 75% of the time for maximum dps so it plays closer to an actual caster. Swiftbrand is slightly overkill, and turns it into effectively a normal hit based caster where any loss of uptime is lost dps. I don't think that will be worth over other supports, but should help the terrible clear feeling. It should be a good bosser. More than fireball dps (I use fireball as a baseline) requiring only 75% uptime with the ability to preload and plant extra.

I hope I'm thinking through penance brand correctly, I may end up playing it.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Ball lightning currently has a hidden duration that caps it at 13 hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

External Organs posted:

For y'all theorycrafting penance brand, don't forget about brandsurge. It'll scale with the same poo poo, and also has like 500% damage effectiveness.

Except somehow not being a brand. I love brandsurge but it really didn't keep up when all spells got a 50% damage buff.