Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Looking forward to getting horribly addicted to this again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

After being underwhelmed by Diablo 3, I'm trying to decide between picking this up again (got a minion master Witch ascended) or Marvel Heroes: Omega.

Probably spent the same amount of time in each. Marvel is more fun to look at but this has a better money model.

This is the better game by a million miles if you can learn to understand how and why builds work, or at least be willing to slavishly copy other people's work from the forums

that and you have to learn to deal with poe.trade, I'm guessing they're not changing trades or the economy in any real way in the expansion so yeah that'll be fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I want to play this again but I don't particularly want to deal with poe.trade :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess? I more just wish there were a better way than whispering endlessly until someone responds. Automated markets or something.

Can a character be withdrawn from SSF at any time and stay in the temp league, or is it like HC where withdrawal takes you back to Standard?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How does an SSF... call it career, I guess... typically play out, anyway? Obviously there's a lot of randomness in what loot you get, but what do you start keeping, how do you spend your currency, what sort of builds do you pursue?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

For me it was usually by about level 70-75 depending on how well I was doing at endgame. Dunno how far I'd get nowadays.

Still planning to come back and start playing again but I'm presently addicted to FFXIV, gotta wean myself off that first :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do all your SSF characters share a stash, or only have their own to access? If they share, can the stash as a whole be withdrawn to non-SSF?

Someone suggested to me I might like self-enforced SSF up to 60/65 as a balance between desire for working builds and desire not to deal with poe.trade, and I don't know why he said self-enforced.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pollyzoid posted:

Inquisitor looks good to me (HC-wise at least), skipping the crit stuff. Consecrated ground is a good damage and regen buff, and can be triggered at will with sulfur flask.

ZiggyD made a video of SR/RF Inq, and his build is close to the build that was used to kill Shaper on HC Harb recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r749EjIgzQ.

Was SR changed at all in 3.0? This video is one of the builds I never quite got around to last time I played.

Speaking of 3.0, is there a good cliff notes of what changed in the expansion besides the full patch notes? Beyond the obvious extra acts and difficulty changes, I mean. I'm especially curious about what they did about ES, poison and ignite basically ruling the roost.

(e)
Addon to that then, can a character be withdrawn WITHOUT taking the stash along, or does it have to go?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

terrified of my bathroom posted:

There's an option for both. You can either withdraw a specific character, or you can withdraw all characters, stash, atlas progression, etc. You can't withdraw non-character specific stuff like the stash without withdrawing all your characters, though

That's cool, I didn't expect it to be quite so fine-grained as all that, just wanted to make sure I understood. Thanks!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't figure out what to pick up, what to stash and what to throw away in SSF, at least as of level 20 or so. Maybe I should just migrate back to normal Harbinger and put up with ol' poe.trade.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I mean I have a filter but even then I'd skip picking up most rares unless it was a best tier for the level or something, maybe, possibly. Just thinking I might need to play the pickup/ID game more if I'm gonna stay in SSF? Maybe?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 8, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of prophecies, when should I start using coins on them now? This difficulty-setting-free world is new and strange and scary.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Can anyone invite CiaphasKamehameha (scorching ray needs that MTX) to whichever guild actually has room?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

Tabula is awesome, just be careful because you are losing a lot of defense on it. In exchange, you get a 6l and the damage that comes with it. It's generally considered the best leveling item in the game.

Edit: Also, Vaal it.

Side note to newbies: when someone tells you to Vaal something, don't actually do it. The odds of bricking the item completely are pretty high, and most positive effects aren't worth it.

Unless you're memein' and fully aware of it in which case hell yeah vaal those Skyforths :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Act 6 is basically a gentle reminder that resistances exist. You should obviously get capped if you can manage it, but after around 35-40% it starts being noticeable really. That's about when I tend to notice attacks go from "HOLY gently caress" to "OW OW OW OW".

I had -30% cold resistance going into A6 on my SR Inquisitor. It was a fun discovery that cold damage mobs were plentiful there.

I squeeeeaked through A6 and just reached A7 on my own SR inquisitor (great minds :hfive:) on a total of 3% cold resist. It was, indeed, an adventure.

Stupid Brine King.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I love my SR Inquisitor. The only reason I'm not playing it right this second is because my CD Raider is a gofast build and I'm in a gofast mood this week. I give zero fucks about any map mod and poo poo out damage with horrendous gear.

So Charged Dash turned out good, then? I was interested in that one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My SR MoM Inquisitor (CiaphasKamehameha) is coming up on 65 tonight. Will I be able to probably start using Righteous Fire as soon as I get Rise of the Phoenix and slot a Purity of Fire?

All my gear is just random crappo I've found but I'm at about 3.2k life in the middle of A9. So far so good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got my Inquisitor up to 69 last night, and got RF rolling. Shield Charging through packs and having them all die in hellfire as I pass is definitely fun, as is turning the scorching ray on for rares and bosses.

Still rather squish at 3.6k HP, though, and I only have enough mana regen to sustain RF/MoM because of Atziri's Foible in my amulet slot (ed: and of course as I get more life on gear that's only going to get worse as RF's damage increases). Any suggestions to correct that? It and Rise of the Phoenix are the only uniques I'm using, IIRC.

I'd post my profile but poe's site is blocked at work, as is the wiki :rip:. Think I posted a URL earlier though.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 11, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Eminai posted:

Clarity is super helpful, as is getting +mana regen on a couple of rares. You can usually get it pretty cheap because nobody else really wants it and it blocks a good suffix. If you don't have them yet, prioritize getting the mana regen nodes near MoM and the max mana nodes near witch start. Getting max mana or mana regen on jewels can help, too. Basically just do a ton of little stuff that adds up eventually.

I believe I have those sets of nodes, yeah, and I am running Clarity. Don't think any of my gear besides the Atziri's Foible has mana regen on it though, so I'll look into that.

Without Atziri's Foible, and while running Purity of Fire and Clarity and the anti-dot Pantheon (Arakkala?), I'm just barely negative on mana regen. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Still no map stash tab yet I see. How do you all go about organizing the drat things?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

vOv posted:

I do this with columns instead of rows but I'm considering just tossing them all in a quad because :effort:.

I'm considering buying a second quad (I already have one) just for this purpose thanks to these posts (and Awesome!'s reminder about tier: searching)

I'm gonna try using the quad I already have for loot dumping/sorting, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that idea--sifting through items into what's sellable and what isn't feels like such a chore, especially when half my pickups are things like 6Ses or chromatics to immediately vendor anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do chests in Silver Door areas in uber lab ever hold treasure keys, or can/should I just skip them if they're off the main path?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone have any good advice for how to most profitably run uber lab with the changes? It used to be just navigate through the shortest possible route for 3 keys straight from Izaro, but now I'm not sure.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

I spent most of yesterday doing an average of 6 keys/uber run, it was pretty fun. You have 3 from Izaro, 1 from Argus, and 2 from puzzles. Puzzles with a "curious lockbox" at the end reward a key, those with a "labyrinth trove" have a weaker version of the final treasure room's boxes. Same with Silver doors, which give "emperor's vaults".

So yesterday had 4 puzzles, and 3 of them were kind of on the main path, so I always made sure to check them out. I always grabbed curious lockboxes, and would skip labyrinth troves if the puzzle showed any difficulty. The last puzzle was a bit out of the way, but there was also a silver door in the area so I would tag both at the same time if I hadn't picked up 2 keys earlier.

Also, darkshrines. Totally worth it, especially if they're on the main path. You can see where they are on the minimap, and there is a little hidden switch next to them to unlock. The best ones are the twice blessed (2 uses of divine font), and Izaro granting an extra treasure key (7 keys!).

Thanks for the advice! One thing that's not quite clear, can Curious Lockboxes (treasure keys) be the end reward of silver doors or are those always Emperor's Vaults?

Also, are there always exactly two puzzle keys, or can there be more/less (say from a lack of Argus, or bad luck)?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Watching ZiggyD's vaal pacter facetank a (slightly) buffed Minotaur makes me think that node needs some work :geno:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My SR RF MoM Inquisitor, CiaphasKamehameha, is able to do T14s no sweat and T15s with a bit of luck and probably some deaths. I'd like to be able to try my hand at Guardians and Shaper. Are there any notable improvements left to be made here that would help me cross that wall, or am I getting near the point where the build reliability peters out?

I'm rather poor at this point unfortunately, yesterday was not good for loot considering how much I spent on chisels, alchs, scours and the odd Vaal. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

J posted:

That build killed shaper on hardcore on day2.

Here was his tree before he respeced the character into a low life version.

Some quick observations - your belt looks real old. You could use a belt of the deceiver for 10% increased damage, or just any other better rare belt. If you find a source of +1 curse, you could run witchfire brew. Or even run witchfire brew anyways for the damage aside from the curse. Beyond that, level 21 scorching ray and a 6th link of course, but both of those are expensive I know. I also noticed you aren't running decoy totem - I strongly recommend it, even as a 1 link wonder. It will give you a lot more room to breathe in tough spots.

Wow, I didn't know he killed hardcore shaper with a build like this. Gives me a lot of confidence.

Thanks for the advice, I'll belt up first and foremost. I can probably get 50 more life or so on that alone, I didn't even notice it for some reason.

And I always forget about decoy totem jesus loving christ :doh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How should I be handling enchants at the end of eternal lab? Use it on my own helm to try for SR/RF buffs, or enchant some white base or another to sell?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I would have thrown that up for 30c and not thought about it. I'm so bad at pricing rares. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hauki posted:

I mean, it's a ring with 112% resist, 70 life and a 40%+ damage modifier. It's real fuckin' hard to top that.

I can absolutely guarantee you that if I were in the middle of a sorting spree my eye would have seen the implicit and the 4-8 cold damage and thought "meh". Wouldn't have even seen the bottom few lines, or known that that IED affix was so powerful even if I had.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm thinking of shelving my SR RF MoM Inquisitor and making a... RF Berserker. :v:

It seems like devoting solely to RF and getting the berserker ascendancies and being able to wear a Kaom's Heart would allow a 'zerker to push harder content. My SR RF MoM Inquis can clear Guardians with effort and map mod curation; would the 'zerker be any better at the job?

(ed) obviously I'd still have SR on the 'zerker for the fire resist debuff, it just wouldn't be 5/6-linked.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 15, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just looked up the price of Kaom's Heart and uh :stonk: I guess I can't afford that yet after all!!!

Pursuant to my post above, does Berserker RF still work without Kaom's?

For that matter, what about Juggernaut or Chieftain?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

Use an ambus till you have enough for a kaoms.

Im mid 60s doing beserker RF and everything melts.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm 55 now, been using RF exclusively since 31, and my god this has been the easiest leveling experience I've ever had in this game. Well up there in overall speed, too.

Berserker RF might just be my new go to league starter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there any generalizations that can be made about the sorts of builds that can reliably do Guardians/Shaper, but aren't also stupidly expensive just to get started?

Like... 2H builds, wand builds, spell builds, crit builds, ailment builds, etc.?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If I want to 2H melee something, but don't want to take Vaal Pact, do I want to be a Slayer or can I still reasonably be a Berserker? We talked about this in discord for a while last night but I was sleepy and lost a lot of the detail.

I gathered Berserker still outdamages Slayer as a rule, even accounting for the super-culling Slayer gets?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there any difference in overall use case between sunder, earthquake and cyclone (and whatever other melee abilities)? Like you use one for bosses, one for map clear, one for memeing, or does it come down to aesthetic?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

If you're playing hardcore, go sunder 100%. It makes getting to maps easy and you can get some currency to work to your real build without dying. My Sunder character lasted until I Zana'd a 160% damage map and walked through a doorway without Immortal Call (I'm an idiot).

If you're playing softcore, why?

So Sunder is relatively safe due to being somewhat ranged, I guess? Good to know.

In an ideal universe this character'd be able to scale up to doing Guardians (like always, for me--it's a lofty goal for me to reach for, given my altitis, I know), does that influence what skill you go with? (e: for that matter does that influence Berserker vs Slayer, I'm still undecided on that)

MMF Freeway posted:

Cyclone is the most fun

An important factor to be sure :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 17, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what's a dirge? i'd wiki but work proxy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

queeb posted:

cold ngamahu basically, cheap as hell as well.

I can't see that picture at work because imgur is blocked but making GBS threads out iceball bombs sounds pretty fuckin neato

Awesome! posted:

why do people call dirge a cold ngamahu when it doesnt poo poo out ice bombs as you spin

awww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Work day's drawing to a close and I still can't decide what kind of 2H melee character to roll up tonight. Berserker or Slayer, Cyclone or other, Dirge or other.

(ed: also was I the only one who got sarcasm from Salvor_Hardin's reply?)