Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silencekit
May 1, 2014

My band Wag put out a couple of summer singles last week! We recorded both "Mesa" and "Nile Perch" in our practice space with a pair of SM58s and a Focusrite 2i2. After a little gentle mixing love, the finals sound pretty good to my ears. I'd love to hear what you guys think! I'm one of the guitars/the cleaner tenor voice that sings lead on "Nile Perch".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Holy poo poo, I lost track of you guys when you must have changed your name from Trash Gendar. I'm actually super excited that you're still around, cause I absolutely loved Mass Canon.

Probably old news but I got to listen to your previous EP thingy (Once, Child) and it's awesome. I love the direction you're heading with the new heavy sounds and all that. Sounds sweet, and you still have that spacey dreampop sound I really liked from Mass Canon. The new singles are pretty on point. I particularly liked Nile Perch from the singles (that ending and abrupt change) and Even I Won't Go and Nosedive Routine from Once, Child. They are really good.

I'm poor as poo poo right now, but I am absolutely buying these when I have some spare money. You guys are doing good work, keep the momentum going.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

syntaxfunction posted:

Holy poo poo, I lost track of you guys when you must have changed your name from Trash Gendar. I'm actually super excited that you're still around, cause I absolutely loved Mass Canon.

Hey thanks man! I remember talking to you in the sketches thread a few years ago. Were you the guy who added the violin track to my ukulele demo thing?

Thanks for the encouraging words. The new EP is out 8/18!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hah, nah, that wasn't me though I remember it. But I've marked the new EP date in my calendar, looking forward to hearing it. Good stuff.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

So excited to finally get it out. Far and away my favorite stuff we've done together.

You making any music these days?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah just got notified from Bandcamp about your new EP. Spacecop is sounding mint.

At the risk of just turning this into a chat thread I am making music still, but I still haven't released poo poo cause I'm good like that :V The sketch thread seems dead so I haven't put a tonne of stuff out.

But anyway, Spacecop is really good. Looking forward to the release.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

EP is out today! Give it a spin!

https://wagband.bandcamp.com/album/incidental-expenditures

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Nice, poo poo is cash. (Do people still say cash? I feel like they do)

I'll be honest though, I'm not 100% sold on Brothers. It's fine, I just like the rest of the EP better. Who Knows What gets me vibes similar to Smith Street Band, kinda. I super dig it. Not sure whether I like that or Spacecop best. Too short though (I know it's an EP).

silencekit
May 1, 2014

syntaxfunction posted:

Nice, poo poo is cash. (Do people still say cash? I feel like they do)

I'll be honest though, I'm not 100% sold on Brothers. It's fine, I just like the rest of the EP better. Who Knows What gets me vibes similar to Smith Street Band, kinda. I super dig it. Not sure whether I like that or Spacecop best. Too short though (I know it's an EP).

Thanks for the listen, man! "Brothers" is for sure my favorite of those to perform, but you're right. It's definitely a bit of a departure from the rest of the EP, and I wonder if some of the energy is missing in the recording. As for the length, one day we'll make an LP. It seems hard to justify the cost and effort without a real fan base, though. It's hard enough to convince folks to listen to one song (let alone 4, let alone 12).

Thanks for the feedback, though! Glad you're enjoying it, and I'll look up Smith Street Band. I don't think I've ever heard of them.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I listened to Incidental Expenditures. Nice job! Good songwriting, performance, production, and great album art. I hope to hear a full album one day; EPs don't quite do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silencekit
May 1, 2014

Thanks for the listen! We like the art also. It really pops on the cassettes.

Full album is definitely the next step plan. I'm always kind of weary of full albums for the projects I'm actually investing mixing/mastering/release money into because it's so rare that anybody will actually commit to a full album listen-through. I feel like EP's are a more manageable length to expect your friends and internet strangers to listen to, and significantly cheaper to make. I make full lengths for my solo project, but only because I mix them myself and don't do any physical releases, so I don't feel like I've wasted any money when nobody listens. :dance:

• Locked thread