Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

lol who actually reports posts in the chat thread

Unless things have changed under new management, it generated more reports than the rest of the forum by far.

scuz posted:

[*]When the tank is pressured above ~80PSI, the motor (or the compressor) can't do anything. It appears to try and turn over, but it gets stuck[/list]
Here's a PDF of the compressor's user manual and here's a close-up of the motor's specs:

My old man has an ancient Ingersoll Rand compressor that has a similar motor setup, in that it can be rewired to run on 115V instead of 200V+. When he moved he tried to set it up at 115V to avoid getting a 240V receptacle run, but it ran like poo poo. Had a friend come wire a 240V receptacle to it and it worked perfectly again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

I thought it was Millennials. Aren't they responsible for killing everything from golf to casual dining restaurants?

Is that why the last time I went to a barbecue restaurant my bill for some smoked meat and a few beers was over $70?

It's loving barbecue, thanks millenials :argh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rdb posted:

Only mad because i am on 3/1 DSL
I have fios and it's still terrible conversation. Unless it's really slow or really fast who cares, and if you aren't sure you shouldn't post.

who needs salt :coal:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Sometimes a broken exhaust can sound really good. Heard a rumbly and bassy I4 coming up behind me in the street. Turn around expecting some taken care of sports car -- was a rusty 1st gen Focus.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Things have gotten better in that regard but some stuff is still impossible to get due to licensing issues worldwide. The internet is a global market you morons, if people want something and you're making it impossible to pay for without some degree of difficulty, how can you complain when they just teef it?!
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

kimbo305 posted:

Sometimes a broken exhaust can sound really good. Heard a rumbly and bassy I4 coming up behind me in the street. Turn around expecting some taken care of sports car -- was a rusty 1st gen Focus.
An old Ford 4-pot with nothing but a downpipe sounds awesome at full chat down country roads.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Things have gotten better in that regard but some stuff is still impossible to get due to licensing issues worldwide. The internet is a global market you morons, if people want something and you're making it impossible to pay for without some degree of difficulty, how can you complain when they just teef it?!

I'd happily pay BBC, ITV and Channel 4 for a TV license, but they won't let me so instead I pay a polish VPN company $40 a year and watch all the shows anyway because I'm able to figure out how to put in a fake post code.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

violentlycitrus posted:

K1500 owner here, would you be willing to share what you had done, where at, and how much it cost?

I have a 2001 Silverado, 5.3/2wd with 248k. My trans hit 295F while towing my boat and the P-R-N all became forward gears. The shop says the torque converter failed and took everything out with it. Out the door I spent $2250 to have it rebuilt with a few upgrades (shift kit, aluminum pistons, etc) by a local ATRA-member shop.

kimbo305 posted:

I ran my H6 Outback the other day with the exhaust disconnected from the heads. Sounded real good. If this was a 'fun' car I would want to hear how it sounds with dual exhausts and minimal muffling.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

fridge corn posted:

capitalism is dieing and its the internet that's killing it

And it's the only good thing the internet WHICH I GET ON A 15/5 DSL LINE ever did.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is that why the last time I went to a barbecue restaurant my bill for some smoked meat and a few beers was over $70?

Went up the road last week and got 2 bbq sammiches with sides for $20 including tip. You need better bbq joints. :smug:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

monsterzero posted:

I ran my H6 Outback the other day with the exhaust disconnected from the heads. Sounded real good. If this was a 'fun' car I would want to hear how it sounds with dual exhausts and minimal muffling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwq-7UQHwj8

I want to put a good exhaust on my Liberty one day

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm pretty sure barbecue restaurants price their food at minimum wage per pound. Oh, 12 hour brisket? $90 please. :smug:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

No joke buy yourself a Traeger or other quality pellet smoker and go hog (:haw:) wild. I can't even pay for dickies price BBQ when I can smoke 15 pounds of shoulder for less than $30. Do you know how many people that feeds? Between 35-40. It's ridiculous. All I do on the weekends is dream about smoking meats. I know I've posted a lot about it but I can't think of a better $350 I've spent that the grill cost me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I can't even pay for dickies price BBQ when I can smoke 15 pounds of shoulder for less than $30. Do you know how many people that feeds? Between 35-40.

Or one goon for a week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have an entire week off and I already finished my project list for the whole week.

Gonna be super fuckin bored.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

monsterzero posted:

I have a 2001 Silverado, 5.3/2wd with 248k. My trans hit 295F while towing my boat and the P-R-N all became forward gears. The shop says the torque converter failed and took everything out with it. Out the door I spent $2250 to have it rebuilt with a few upgrades (shift kit, aluminum pistons, etc) by a local ATRA-member shop.

Thanks for the reply, my 4l60e has 225000 mikes on it and i've noticed sometimes it'll start lugging down pretty hard and i'm pretty sure that means im on the slippery transmission slope now. It idles just fine in neutral and park. I have 10 quarts of the new gm transmission fluid (dex vi?) and a new filter, so i think im going to do the pan drop flush, which i think calls for 5 quarts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Make the September chat thread then.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

I'm pretty sure barbecue restaurants price their food at minimum wage per pound. Oh, 12 hour brisket? $90 please. :smug:

Half the problem is it's located in hipster central St.Pete, so you're paying for the "cool" location I suppose. The food was good and I wasn't all that worried about the prices until I saw the minuscule portions. Most places I end up taking a bunch home but this place i left hungry, won't be going back. Looks I'll be going back to my regular spot in (uncool) Gulfport that's in an old house on the side of the road at half the price and double the portions.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

No joke buy yourself a Traeger or other quality pellet smoker and go hog (:haw:) wild. I can't even pay for dickies price BBQ when I can smoke 15 pounds of shoulder for less than $30. Do you know how many people that feeds? Between 35-40. It's ridiculous. All I do on the weekends is dream about smoking meats. I know I've posted a lot about it but I can't think of a better $350 I've spent that the grill cost me.

35-40 portions? is this school bbq for ants?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Or one goon for a week.

Rhyno posted:

I have an entire week off and I already finished my project list for the whole week.

:thunk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Make the September chat thread then.

eh, not that bored

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

violentlycitrus posted:

Thanks for the reply, my 4l60e has 225000 mikes on it and i've noticed sometimes it'll start lugging down pretty hard and i'm pretty sure that means im on the slippery transmission slope now. It idles just fine in neutral and park. I have 10 quarts of the new gm transmission fluid (dex vi?) and a new filter, so i think im going to do the pan drop flush, which i think calls for 5 quarts.

That doesn't sound good. Is your truck stumbling under load? I'm not sure I'd expect a fluid change to help much with that but I'm an idiot who thinks at automatics are powered by some sort of infernal magic.

I've only had my truck for about two months. I ended up buying this one because it was higher mileage, but 5-years newer than anything I comparable could. I kind of figured that 150k vs 250k wouldn't make a much of a difference because the transmission was liable to explode either way.

I was planning on doing filter and fluid, but didn't have a chance to get to it. For once deferring maintenance pays off!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

eh, not that bored

Well then someone else get to it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tomarse posted:

Hot chocolate chat - have you had the Hotel Chocolat chilli one? its awesome (its also really expensive but does feature real chocolate). You've got to make it in a pan on the hob using 100% milk. I will probably have one tonight as I'm clearly lame too! :)

I just want chocolate in my chocolate, I'm a purist at heart. I bought some stuff from a little boutique shop before which was little more than bits of Belgian chocolate to melt up. It was incredible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwq-7UQHwj8

I want to put a good exhaust on my Liberty one day

I want a Liberty CRD AND a good Exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EvKgUhBuc8

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 30, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

come play destiny 2 and/or overwatch with us

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Tomarse posted:

I used to hate gin but then I got turned after discovering that I could turn cheap gin into really really tasty stuff by chucking Damsons into it and then leaving it in the cupboard for 6-12 months (In a week or 2 I shall have a shitload of Damsons available if any of the UK crew want to come get em! good crop this year)

I had the exact same thing of hating gin but I made some sloe gin for my dad a few years back and really got into it- changes the taste just right for me. The best thing I have done yet is blackberries and a touch of sugar in vodka, it tastes amazing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

violentlycitrus posted:

About to do this to my truck soon and put in a bigger trans cooler, though I'm only at 132k. I hope it doesn't die a painful death anytime soon. :ohdear: Right now it doesn't really slip though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Magnus Praeda posted:

When in doubt, blame Millennials. It's easier than accepting that perhaps laissez-faire capitalism driving wages ever lower in relation to profit margins for the ultra-rich might possibly be self-destructive.

[sarcasm]How could it possibly be bad to make the rich richer at the expense of the not-rich?[/sarcasm]

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So much this. Boo-hoo, they won't jump through our ridiculous hoops and restrictions to pay for our media! They must be punished!
I'm absolutely willing to pay nominal prices for media, so that more of that media gets made, but when I have to deal with your flaky app that doesn't work on my device of choice or whatever, then meh, I've got Pirate Bay and a proxy.
What kills me is when an ebook costs as much as the paperback, or worse, the hardback. Are you seriously telling me that hosting and electronic book costs as much as printing and shipping physical books? Bullshit.

Rhyno posted:

This is what video games and Netflix are for. C'mon, son!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

rdb posted:

Only mad because i am on 3/1 DSL

I'm salty because it looks like I'm gonna be stuck with comcast at my new house despite the builders telling me that Verizon was coming (they're not).
What really sucks is that Verizon has hand holes all over the neighborhood, just no service.

I still don't understand how you can get 150Mbps down and only 10 up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

I want a Liberty CRD AND a good Exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EvKgUhBuc8

Huh. That sounds surprisingly good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This senior design lecturer is getting on my nerves. Project preference list is due Friday and the form is still not posted on the class page, nor is the detailed list of projects. Why the gently caress couldn't this have been posted last week so we could have time to go over it?

I mean I guess it's not a very important project or anything, it's fine to have stuff become available at the last possible second.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Darchangel posted:

What kills me is when an ebook costs as much as the paperback, or worse, the hardback. Are you seriously telling me that hosting and electronic book costs as much as printing and shipping physical books? Bullshit.

exactly this. digital goods have exactly zero monetary value and the market can't cope with being unable to dictate prices. this is why capitalism turns monopoly, arbitrary access barriers, and intellectual property laws. these are the cracks appearing in the system

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

So much this. Boo-hoo, they won't jump through our ridiculous hoops and restrictions to pay for our media! They must be punished!
I'm absolutely willing to pay nominal prices for media, so that more of that media gets made, but when I have to deal with your flaky app that doesn't work on my device of choice or whatever, then meh, I've got Pirate Bay and a proxy.

I'm in this boat with watching my local sports teams. I am one of those 'cut the cord' weirdos because I realized I was paying something over $70 per month to watch Alaskan crab fishing once per week, and the Suns games.

I actually tried buying the NBA broadband package, which is to allow me to watch the games via the internet, but guess what - no cable, you can't watch it. Uhmm.. if I had cable, I wouldn't need your stupid broadband package, since I could just plop down in front of my giant TV and watch it in HD from my comfy couch.

So, I got VPN and watched the games from a European streaming site. Same issue with the MLB and NFL. No cable, they won't sell you their product.

They need to take a page from the HBO playbook and launch a product that can be purchasable by people who have no interest in paying a huge fee to the local cable company.

An alternate that I would be fine with would be for the cable companies to start providing an ala carte only service, where I pay a minimal connection fee (maybe $10 I could stomach) per month, and then allow me to pay for whatever programming I wanted to watch on a demand basis. But.. lol if they would ever do that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

35-40 portions? is this school bbq for ants? average sized humans

Answer in the quote.

So in somewhat serious news my wife and I are still processing a diagnosis she was given by a doctor yesterday. After a few tests she has been diagnosed with Celiac disease. We knew she was a carrier as one of her grandmothers had it. Apparently it can express itself later in life, particularly after something like pregnancy/delivery. She is really depressed with the prognosis. She finally found a passion and love for cooking and baking, which is basically her only hobby which changes everything. She was crying a lot yesterday, one thing that set her off last night was how when we start to travel the world later in life that she will not be able to experience the food and have to plan so much differently.

Celiac is such a bull poo poo disease :argh: It is irritating that the human body would find a way to reject what is the most basic form of food in most of the whole drat world and is in EVERYTHING. The positive to take away being that at least it is easier to have the disease in current society compared to like 10 years ago.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Answer in the quote.

So in somewhat serious news my wife and I are still processing a diagnosis she was given by a doctor yesterday. After a few tests she has been diagnosed with Celiac disease. We knew she was a carrier as one of her grandmothers had it. Apparently it can express itself later in life, particularly after something like pregnancy/delivery. She is really depressed with the prognosis. She finally found a passion and love for cooking and baking, which is basically her only hobby which changes everything. She was crying a lot yesterday, one thing that set her off last night was how when we start to travel the world later in life that she will not be able to experience the food and have to plan so much differently.

Celiac is such a bull poo poo disease :argh: It is irritating that the human body would find a way to reject what is the most basic form of food in most of the whole drat world and is in EVERYTHING. The positive to take away being that at least it is easier to have the disease in current society compared to like 10 years ago.

lovely bust man, but its a fairly easy/doable switch-over. Given that it may be pregnancy/delivery induced, any chance it might be a "passing" thing? Hope so for her/your sake.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Answer in the quote.

Two things for her:

Plenty of cooking is possible that does not involve gluten. Not least because it is a 'trendy' disease and so there are many gluten-free ingredients/alternatives out there

Also, plenty of countries don't use a lot of wheat, so many dishes are naturally gluten-free. If a country uses mostly rice instead of cereal, the majority of their dishes will be fine for her
https://www.fromthegrapevine.com/israeli-kitchen/5-countries-make-going-gluten-free-easy
http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/
http://www.gluten-free-around-the-world.com/gluten-free-list.html

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Siochain posted:

lovely bust man, but its a fairly easy/doable switch-over. Given that it may be pregnancy/delivery induced, any chance it might be a "passing" thing? Hope so for her/your sake.

Nope. Once you have it, it will be with you until the day you die (unless :science: can find a cure some time in the future). With my limited understanding it is an auto-immune disease.

spog posted:

Two things for her:

Plenty of cooking is possible that does not involve gluten. Not least because it is a 'trendy' disease and so there are many gluten-free ingredients/alternatives out there

Also, plenty of countries don't use a lot of wheat, so many dishes are naturally gluten-free. If a country uses mostly rice instead of cereal, the majority of their dishes will be fine for her
https://www.fromthegrapevine.com/israeli-kitchen/5-countries-make-going-gluten-free-easy
http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/
http://www.gluten-free-around-the-world.com/gluten-free-list.html

Thanks for the references. I have usually had a hard time taking people serious who self diagnosed that they had an intolerance for gluten and how they would do whatever fad cleansing diet by going off gluten for a month. Having known someone a dozen years with a pretty chronic case of Celiac (before it was a "cool" to be allergic to gluten) it is hard for me to not roll my eyes when people self diagnose as a Celiac.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Thanks for the references. I have usually had a hard time taking people serious who self diagnosed that they had an intolerance for gluten and how they would do whatever fad cleansing diet by going off gluten for a month. Having known someone a dozen years with a pretty chronic case of Celiac (before it was a "cool" to be allergic to gluten) it is hard for me to not roll my eyes when people self diagnose as a Celiac.

You don't have to have Celiac to be sensitive to gluten, lots of people have digestive issues and cutting back or completely eliminating gluten makes life a lot easier. I have Crohn's and cutting out gluten helped me immensely, so much that I was able to get off the lovely meds that "controlled" my symptoms. I can still have an occasional slice of pizza or a small sandwich without much consequence, but any more than that and I'll be paying the price later on.

And thankfully, because of all those people you roll your eyes at (and I do as well sometimes), there are tons of non gluten alternatives out there that are actually really good and almost indistinguishable from their gluten counterparts. Barilla has non gluten pasta that is amazing. Trader Joe's has a shitload of non gluten food and their non gluten frozen waffles are the poo poo. You get the idea, it sucks at first but honestly it's not a big deal at all once you're used to it. Considering the multitude of other diseases out there it could be much, much worse. Your wife will adjust and it will be business as usual.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Locator posted:

An alternate that I would be fine with would be for the cable companies to start providing an ala carte only service, where I pay a minimal connection fee (maybe $10 I could stomach) per month, and then allow me to pay for whatever programming I wanted to watch on a demand basis. But.. lol if they would ever do that.

Because then no-one would pay for the billion shovel-ware garbage channels that earn them a fortune in ad revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Because then no-one would pay for the billion shovel-ware garbage channels that earn them a fortune in ad revenue.

And they need that revenue to pay the leagues/teams for the decade-plus exclusive rights they paid trillions for!

I'd like to hope that declining viewership might get the sports to embrace new ways of viewing (subscription streaming or whatever) but the cable companies have nearly monopolized the last mile and beaten back net neutrality so you'll just have to upgrade your broadband to Xtrme Sports DigitalBits Preferred for an additional $39.99 (plus fees!) if you want more than a low def postage stamp.

The cable industry is an ouroboros, except the snake is made out of asses so it can poo poo all over its customers throughly from every angle.

Thank god basesballs is almost as good to listen to on the radio as it is to watch on TV (ymmv). For $30/year MLB at Bat does me right.

• Locked thread